Found Deceased Esther Wallace, 47, Missing, near Orange, NSW, 30th November 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Having been at a club, I should think her sandals would have been of the high-heeled variety. Even more inappropriate for walking through the bush.

Are there any old mine shafts out there?
I don't know if there are any at Canobolas itself, but the whole Central West is mining country. A lot of the gold rush of the late 1800s was out there. Hill End, Tambaroora, Sofala. Lucknow is the closest (to Orange) former gold town I know about. It's pretty close.

Federal Falls​

There are a number of plunge falls on the western slopes of the old volcano Canobolas. While some distance inland, Mount Canobolas is high. It keeps visitors guessing. It can be summer down on the plains below but blowing a blizzard up top. Or it may be hot as Hades. Be prepared.

The largest fall on Boree Creek is Federal Fall. The main plunge is the first in a series of drops, with a cave behind the base of the falls. Both base and top of falls is accessible. The falls are a fairly long walk from the car park near the summit of Mount Canobolas.

1670566740304.png

Federal Falls, Boree Creek, Mount Canobolas

Federal Falls Circuit Walk

Having been at a club, I should think her sandals would have been of the high-heeled variety. Even more inappropriate for walking through the bush.
I think you have a more highbrow idea of what an ex-services club requires in the way of dress code than the reality. :D

If it's anything like the ones I've seen, I think it tends more to t-shirts and jeans than smart casual or formal.

But yes, completely inappropriate for bushwalking, even on a smooth path with an easy grade. Even the smoothest of paths have rocks, bull ants, and potentially snakes to contend with.

I think what bothers me most about this is that it reminds me of a case Ann Rule wrote about. I can't link to a book, but I can link to an article about the case/s. The one I'm thinking of is Janis, the woman who died at Beacon Rock (he probably killed more than once).

Washington charmer takes wife out to nature to murder her for insurance money in 1991

Janis was petrified of heights. Yet the creep she was married to convinced her to climb the rock with him. He killed her (allegedly, he wasn't ever tried for her death), then a day later made a claim from the insurance company for the policy he'd taken out on her. They'd only been married eight months.

Last edited:
I think you have a more highbrow idea of what an ex-services club requires in the way of dress code than the reality. :D

If it's anything like the ones I've seen, I think it tends more to t-shirts and jeans than smart casual or formal.

But yes, completely inappropriate for bushwalking, even on a smooth path with an easy grade. Even the smoothest of paths have rocks, bull ants, and potentially snakes to contend with.
I just googled "bull ant" :eek::eek::eek:

I just googled "bull ant"
Once bitten, always remembered :D

Not one of our deadly ones.

We had a nest of them out the front of our house when I was a child. They were pretty fast if you stood on the nest.
We used to see if we could outrun them, after stomping on their nest :)

After that it was a yell to Mum who came with her remedy which was Reckitts Blue Bag which eased the pain instantly.

Yes I once was an ant tormenter :)

The family of a mother-of-five who mysteriously vanished during a late-night bushwalk with her on-off boyfriend believe she is dead - as her turbulent life marred by restraining orders and domestic violence comes to light.

On Friday, her mother Lyn Wallace told Daily Mail Australia her daughter had been in a relationship with a man from Orange for three years.

Ms Wallace lived with her mother in Tottenham, about three hours' drive away.

The boyfriend would visit on Fridays, before heading home on Sundays. On the last weekend in November, he stayed in town before they went to Mount Canobolas together.

Mrs Wallace said her daughter's boyfriend was a regular visitor at the house she shared with her daughter.

'Had he gone home, I feel she would still be alive,' Mrs Wallace said.

Daily Mail Australia does not suggest Ms Wallace's partner had anything to do with her disappearance.

Detectives stressed Ms Wallace's partner is not a suspect - and said he has been cooperating with investigators.

Mrs Wallace said the situation 'doesn't make sense', and can't understand why the couple decided to walk in the bush, in the dark, at 1.30am.

'Esther loved camping, but she wasn't a walker,' she said.

'I fear the worst - something went terribly wrong.'

She said her hopes that police will find her daughter alive are 'dwindling' - and described the situation as being like a 'bad dream we haven't woken up from yet'.

'I hope they find her, one way or another,' she said.

Last edited:
Body was found 4pm Sunday and by 7:30pm they announced her death was not suspicious. At a guess, possibly a fall from heights or some other misadventure. RIP Esther. What a horrid Xmas for her mother and other loved ones.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmb9201
Back