Found Deceased Esther Wallace, 47, Missing, near Orange, NSW, 30th November 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

EXCLUSIVE: Search for Esther Wallace again extended following discovery of footwear prints​

The Orange News Examiner has been told that flat footwear prints consistent with sandals were found by searchers on Tuesday, and it is understood they have been sent for laboratory testing.

The prints were one of a few items of interest found during Tuesday’s operation. The Orange News Examiner is not aware of the nature of the other items.
According to a source the flat prints had maintained their integrity, meaning they hadn’t been trampled by wild pigs or kangaroos. This suggested they may only be a few days old.

The Orange News Examiner understands the prints were not located in an area that would normally be traversed by bushwalkers. If they were created by Wallace’s sandals, it could suggest that she had been following a water source but become disorientated.

The staging post for the search shifted on Wednesday morning from Federal Falls campground to Lidster RFS.

The source said the discovery of more items of interest "we can’t exclude as signs of life” meant the search would continue.
Boree Creek runs from Towac Way through Federal Falls and Glenwood State Forest to Cargo Road at Lidster.

Last edited:
How does someone go for a bushwalk, who doesn't usually go for a bushwalk, get separated from their walking partner?.... in the early morning hours, when it's dark? I mean, I can make assumptions, but it's so incredibly dangerous and non-sensical. The terrain out there is quite woodland like, with a lot of long grass, isn't it? That would be terrible on the feet.

How does someone go for a bushwalk, who doesn't usually go for a bushwalk, get separated from their walking partner?.... in the early morning hours, when it's dark? I mean, I can make assumptions, but it's so incredibly dangerous and non-sensical. The terrain out there is quite woodland like, with a lot of long grass, isn't it? That would be terrible on the feet.
Australian native grasses are stiff, sharp edged, and often have pointy ends where they've broken off. If you walked through a lot of it in shorts, you'd have scratches all over your calves and ankles in no time. If you did it in sandals, you'd possibly end up with grass cuts between your toes, possibly grass seeds stuck under your toenails! Think going for a stroll and walking out with legs and feet full of papercuts, stinging from your own sweat, because it's summer. And that's not even taking into account the feral blackberries, the nonnative stinging nettles...

As for the the terrain, I've never been up Mount Canobolas myself, but I know what the country out there is like. Clay soil, rocky, steep, sometimes very crumbly edges. Thick underbrush of wattle and other acacias. Fallen gum leaves and sheoak and pine needles make slopes treacherous. It's broken ankle country, even in boots. Broken neck, if you're climbing somewhere you shouldn't or flirting with the edge of a lookout at a beauty spot. (Sound about right, @TootsieFootsie ? Like I said, I haven't climbed Canobolas, but I did walk extensively on and off the beaten path in the place nearby that I told you I'd lived. If you've seen both you might know if they're comparable.)

I've never climbed it.

The closest I ever got was a cute little teahouse at the base. The day we went, the road up to the Mount was closed due to snow. We had homemade pumpkin soup and buttered buns. It was very nice, sitting inside near the open fire and looking at the freezy weather outside.

Of course it's summer now, but changeable, it's going from hottish to quite chilly right now.

Esther Wallace, the woman who vanished into the night around Federal Falls last Wednesday morning (November 30, 2022), was at Orange Ex-Services Club in the hours leading up to her disappearance.

Multiple sources have told The Orange News Examiner that in-house cameras at the club show Wallace and her companion at the venue late on the evening of Tuesday November 29.
It is believed that after leaving the club Wallace and the man she was with went to another location before heading to Federal Falls in the early hours of the morning.

Police are thought to have retrieved separate footage that confirms the pair was heading towards Federal Falls.

Australian native grasses are stiff, sharp edged, and often have pointy ends where they've broken off. If you walked through a lot of it in shorts, you'd have scratches all over your calves and ankles in no time. If you did it in sandals, you'd possibly end up with grass cuts between your toes, possibly grass seeds stuck under your toenails! Think going for a stroll and walking out with legs and feet full of papercuts, stinging from your own sweat, because it's summer. And that's not even taking into account the feral blackberries, the nonnative stinging nettles...

As for the the terrain, I've never been up Mount Canobolas myself, but I know what the country out there is like. Clay soil, rocky, steep, sometimes very crumbly edges. Thick underbrush of wattle and other acacias. Fallen gum leaves and sheoak and pine needles make slopes treacherous. It's broken ankle country, even in boots. Broken neck, if you're climbing somewhere you shouldn't or flirting with the edge of a lookout at a beauty spot. (Sound about right, @TootsieFootsie ? Like I said, I haven't climbed Canobolas, but I did walk extensively on and off the beaten path in the place nearby that I told you I'd lived. If you've seen both you might know if they're comparable.)
Yes, where I am in Australia (coastal) is very different than this type of dividing range woodland look, which surprised me. It seems much more ground cover-based and rocky. Which is why sandals would be... absolutely ridiculous.
If she was ever out there, I doubt she "is" anymore, sadly. It's way too long now.

This bushwalking idea sounds like a spur of the moment things after they'd had a few drinks at the Orange ex-services club.
They obviously weren't prepared, hence the sandals. Obviously no torch for light, which is how they may have become separated.....they couldn't see. But wouldn't you call out and head in the direction of the responding voice? How far can you get lost? You can't go fast when you're walking in the dark up a mountain in sandals!

MOO.

New "items of interest" have been recovered as the puzzling search for a missing woman near Orange enters its second week.

At a media conference on Friday, acting Police Chief Inspector Gerard Lawson revealed female clothes have been discovered in recent days. He said foul play is not suspected cadaver dogs will be employed from next week.

"I would caution the community about what they think might have happened - at the moment for us it's an open question ... we certainly don't believe at this stage that it looks like a homicide," Lawson said.

"There are some aspects of it that were a little bit bizarre in the early stages, but the investigation has been able to answer some of those ... sadly, the tragic reality is the chances of finding her alive are diminishing."

The newly-discovered clothes include a white knitted jumper, among other items. Police are yet to confirm these belonged to Wallace, but say the find is guiding their search.

"[This] gives us an area to focus our attention. We feel for the sake of the family it's important to try and get them some answers," Lawson said.

The clothes are currently undergoing DNA testing to verify their connection to the investigation. Results are likely to be finalised early next week.

Behind a paywall for some.

Says that locals took notice when Esther moved to the small town of Tottenham recently to live with her mother who is a long term resident.
It has a populaton of 200 people

Esther was quiet and friendly and was beginning to make some friends. She would engage in friendly conversation at the supermarket and would drop in to the pub and have a couple.
Her partner lived at Orange but visited the small town regularly.

The trail involves an easy walk which leads to a steep incline :(

The article doesn't make it sound like she was a heavy drinker.

The discovery of a white crochet coat may help police narrow down their search for missing bushwalker Esther Wallace, who vanished on a rugged mountain in central west NSW 10 days ago.

Police say their hopes of finding Ms Wallace alive are diminishing and stress there are no suspects in her disappearance.

Temperatures on Mount Canobolas have fallen below zero this week, with some days of strong, cold winds and rain.

Police considered the concerns of Ms Wallace's son, Tyrone Stewart, who told The Central Western Daily newspaper it was unlike her to go bushwalking to look at the sunrise.

"We factor it in when we make decisions ... about where we should search and about the behaviour of lost persons," Mr
Lawson said.

"It's a whole breed of science about the psyche and the intent of people that go missing."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee
Back