Etiquette & Information Discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi. I joined recently and notice that almost everyone closes each posting with something to the effect of "IMO" or "MOO". Why does everyone qualify their posts with the statement that it's only their opinion? What else would it be? Is there some sort of rule that this is required?

Wish more posters would adhere to WS Etiquette & Rules or at least read the expectations of being a WS poster. It's a pride we should have -- respecting & helping those in need, not being snarky about them . . .

I'm new to this site, and I was browsing through older threads and saw some great stuff. However, I was afraid to post things because I didn't want to bump up old threads and piss off established members.

Is posting in older threads considered poor etiquitte?

How about voting in older poles?

I'm new to this site, and I was browsing through older threads and saw some great stuff. However, I was afraid to post things because I didn't want to bump up old threads and piss off established members.

Is posting in older threads considered poor etiquitte?

How about voting in older poles?

There aren't any rules regarding bumping up old threads. Have fun! :woot:

Glad you joined! :welcome:

I have a question about what it's ok to post, and what it isn't.
I just read both the long and short versions of the TOS, and then read the threadequitte thread (probably mispelled that)....and it is very late...so maybe I missed it, or just didn't look in the right place.

Anyway, I posted a reply to someone that had religious connotations in it, in the public forums. Which, I just found out, is a no-no.

Are there other things that I shouldn't post in public forums? I know we're not supposed to bring stuff from private forums to public forums, but I didn't see anything about the religion issue.

If someone could point me in the right direction (thread/post), I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
OG

wow, I don't remember that one from the TOS! :eek: time to go back and reread. Thanks for asking this oh_gal. In many threads I have been guilty of saying things such as I will keep this family in my prayers. I have even seen I need prayers or so and so needs prayers.

That is religious in nature? Now I am confused. The fact that I am unclear on this at all tells me that everyone could stand a refresher now and again. At least this portion of everyone ---> :wave:

I have a question about what it's ok to post, and what it isn't.
I just read both the long and short versions of the TOS, and then read the threadequitte thread (probably mispelled that)....and it is very late...so maybe I missed it, or just didn't look in the right place.

Anyway, I posted a reply to someone that had religious connotations in it, in the public forums. Which, I just found out, is a no-no.

Are there other things that I shouldn't post in public forums? I know we're not supposed to bring stuff from private forums to public forums, but I didn't see anything about the religion issue.

If someone could point me in the right direction (thread/post), I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
OG

The reason we don't have it in the TOS is because it's a really hard issue to draw the line with. If a belief in a certain religion is an aspect to a crime, it is allowed. But if a pure religious debate happens, it is not allowed because it always leads to members getting upset. The thought is that there are hundreds of places to debate religion on the internet and we are here to discuss crime.

I wish it were easier to explain, but it isn't. That's why you don't see it in our TOS.

wow, I don't remember that one from the TOS! :eek: time to go back and reread. Thanks for asking this oh_gal. In many threads I have been guilty of saying things such as I will keep this family in my prayers. I have even seen I need prayers or so and so needs prayers.

That is religious in nature? Now I am confused. The fact that I am unclear on this at all tells me that everyone could stand a refresher now and again. At least this portion of everyone ---> :wave:

I'm trying to think of an example and it's hard because I don't want to offend. So :truce: while I use one here.

Let's say someone reads in the Bible "spare the rod and spoil the child" from Proverbs and then they beat their child with a rod. It would be okay to discuss the interpretation from Proverbs. Someone might link to the Hebrew meaning, for example, and show that the Proverb has nothing to do with beating a child.

But coming on and posting "Christians think it is okay to beat children" is not going to fly. Does that help?

okay, duh. Sorry, wasn't trying to be dense but I don't consider that religious connotations, I just would just consider that plain old baiting. I was thinking too general and therefore failed to understand oh_gal's post

Thanks kimster :)

okay, duh. Sorry, wasn't trying to be dense but I don't consider that religious connotations, I just would just consider that plain old baiting. I was thinking too general and therefore failed to understand oh_gal's post

Thanks kimster :)

The issue comes up more often than you'd think. And all kinds of religions have been discussed. As long as it falls within a crime case, it's fine. But to make blanket statements about religion is the problem.

The reason we don't have it in the TOS is because it's a really hard issue to draw the line with. If a belief in a certain religion is an aspect to a crime, it is allowed. But if a pure religious debate happens, it is not allowed because it always leads to members getting upset. The thought is that there are hundreds of places to debate religion on the internet and we are here to discuss crime.

I wish it were easier to explain, but it isn't. That's why you don't see it in our TOS.

I'm just glad I didn't miss it, somewhere. I thought I was losing my mind. So this is a "common sense" kind of thing, not necessarily posted anywhere, just something we should know. Are there any more of those? (Seriously, sometimes I'm not really good at those "common sense" things, that everyone else seems to get, instinctively. I think it's because I'm a genius. :innocent:)

It was kind and informative of you to give me such a detailed reply, . I have to say, though, with all due respect, that not everyone who "lacks" common sense falls in to the category of "they won't follow them, anyway." Sometimes, people are just not aware. They're not overtly trying to be a pain in the behind. And once they ARE made aware (as I was, with the whole religion issue), they tuck it into a corner of their brain, and do their best to heed the rules.

However, I'm willing to bet you've seen more than I have, and feel you have good reason for your analysis.

I truly don't know where to ask and I have searched...I have a simple cell phone that I have just discovered I can log onto the internet (altho the type is so small I can hardly read it,lol)
If I log on here and enter my user name and password would that be okay? Or would it appear not to be me or something since it is not my home computer? ARg................I know this makes no sense...I just don't want to get into trouble if I try to read on my stupid cell phone at work,lol....

Help!!! Thanks!

Why would you be in trouble? Go ahead and give it a shot - just make sure you don't have an expensive data plan.

Thanks !!! Oh gosh...now I have to make sure I don't have an expensive data plan........craps......I will just read from home,lol..not worth it.:seeya:

Well , I was awakened this morning by a text message from my cell phone telling me I was being charged $20 for web use....so I went online and added that to my package and they were nice enough to take that charge off....I can access the web for $10 per month.......altho as I said before the print is so small I can barely see it so don't know if I will keep it,lol.

Thank you for bringing the data package to my attention!!!!

Are we allowed to post things we find on ancestry.com to aid in identifying the currently unidentified? These would be public record type information such as a pdf of a government document for example.

Very Informative and Appreciated! I bookmarked for reference, since I like it here and want to stick around.

Also realized that rules in other forums that one gets really used to (ahem) do not necessarily translate to Websleuthequitte.

Thanks!

I hope this is in the right place, if not, feel free to have it moved.

For several days I could not open the more smilies or the attach file windows in "advanced post" mode. Is this a problem onlyI am having or is there a glitch in the software? I've run malware / virus programs, 3 total, and ran a registry cleaner, restarted my PC twice and still have the same problem.
If it's any help, I'm running Vista / IE9

I hope this is in the right place, if not, feel free to have it moved.

For several days I could not open the more smilies or the attach file windows in "advanced post" mode. Is this a problem onlyI am having or is there a glitch in the software? I've run malware / virus programs, 3 total, and ran a registry cleaner, restarted my PC twice and still have the same problem.
If it's any help, I'm running Vista / IE9

I have had the same problem off and on for the last few months. I think it might have something to do with the ads?? But really, I have no clue what causes it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maktub
Back