Evidence of Heart Shaped Sticker on Duct Tape Destroyed

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am hoping they have a photo of it. Didn't we see a picture of it early on or am I hallucinating? LOL!

On the FBI paper/report it is noted that they didn't have a photo. :banghead:

It was suggested that another agency might. Some peeps on the scene were asked if they saw the residue and they said "no".

SEE REPORT IN LINK BELOW

Not to mention the fact that there were multiple layers of duct tape. The trouble and time it would take to do that to a small child indicates either premeditation or extreme anger.

The heart sticker might have been helpful, but even if one was found at the scene amongst other items - with the fact that KC used this as an identifying icon for Caylee - plastering it all over pictures and attaching a heart to Photobucket pix (as if she assigned her the heart, to symbolize she was a good and loving mommy, similar to the way she assigned herself the shamrock with all its various interpretations - almost as a symbol of ownership), makes me think it could still be useful circumstantially, even if forensics cannot directly associate it with the duct tape.

There is nobody else to associate with the remains and how they were treated. And the likelihood of anyone else including a heart sticker with the remains or if one was found nearby is not a reasonable coincidence given KC's obsession with little iconic identifiers. And the fact that KC removed many photos of Caylee from her computer (probably lots with the same type of heart icon attached) is still significant, imo. It shows an effort to brand, indicating both ownership and entitlement to destroy or revoke a brand, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think it matters much either. BTW, just because there weren't prints found by the sticker residue doesn't mean there weren't any prints on the sticky side of the tape. One more thing...correct me if I am wrong but didn't those lab reports say that Cindy, George & Lee's prints weren't on the duct tape? I don't ever remember seeing anything regarding Casey's prints.

Today the defense team is saying there is no evidence of a heart sticker on the duct tape -- http://www.wesh.com/news/21114372/detail.html IIRC, several months ago BC stated that there was no heart sticker (can anyone here find this?). I thought this was really odd at the time. Looking at that statement in hindsight, it appears that both the defense and BC may have had knowledge a long time ago that the residue had been destroyed in FBI testing. But they are just now bringing it up???? I'm hoping this means they are running scared and that we're about to get an informative doc dump.

Hello WS :)

In WS "Myth Busters and Facts" thread in this forum post(s) #31 & 32 address the questions of the finger print/duct tape. I do not know if we are allowed to bring that information here?

ETA: Sorry. Just post 31 not 32. The other was re: finger prints on pieces from laundry bag.

...jmo...

Gotta say, this whole thing stinks to high heaven, especially since this "bombshell" just happens to appear after the motion to dismiss because of evidence being supposedly spoiled.

That was my first thought - reverse spoliation. Ugh!

Plus it was such an incriminating piece of evidence imo regarding mindset, etc.

The report says "no finger prints on tape" too.

Am I reading this correctly ... is it implying there were "prints" to be lifted?

Without going back to read it again, I read it as when they were dusting for prints not what you suggest - sorry.

The report actually says "no prints" were found. May I add that it says "under water" as the reason why no prints or at least a suggestion as to why no prints were found on the tape.

Heart sticker evidence would have been nice, but they still have the blanket, garbage bags and laundry hamper as well as the fairly rare duct tape which all seem to have very likely come from the A home. The worst thing about it is that it gives the defense something to blow smoke about for awhile.

A couple thoughts come to mind -- 1) Surely the FBI knows that some of their tests may potentially destroy substances in the evidence. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit here (I know the definition of A S S U M E, lol!), but I think they did what they had to do to possibly lift fingerprints, knowing full well it would obliterate the residue. I believe Pipetone has jumped to the wrong conclusions here based on whatever info he was fed by the defense, from whom this leak had to have come. And 2) remember that the FBI brought in fingerprints of other A family members, presumably to rule them out. That suggests to me that they may have actually found a print somewhere. Either way, I think we will know more soon, as I truly believe Bias leaked this info to Pipitone in an effort to pre-empt other more damaging info that's about to be released in the doc dump. I hope and pray that this is the case.

I tend to agree with you about Pipitone, steadychick... and about the defense leaking the info to take the heat off the fact there was, indeed, duct tape over the mouth and nose.

IMO, it wouldn't be the first time the media has jumped to the wrong conclusion about what the documents "say". I, personally, am still not convinced they did NOT find fingerprints on the duct tape. That would be very strong, pretty much irrefutable evidence and certainly reason to bring back the DP.

I may be in the minority, but I believe since the State KNOWS this info has to be released to the defense, they have a strategy in how things are submitted (as in which items are submitted together for examination so the results will or will not be lumped together in one report). The one piece of evidence that they MAY hold that has KC's prints could be held as work product and not released until later. I'm sure the State doesn't want to show their hand any sooner than the defense wants to.

Either way, and while if true as reported, this is disappointing, I still believe they have PLENTY to convict KC of this crime. The mere fact alone that NO ONE else had any motive points to KC. EVERYTHING points to KC.

As always, JMO.

To be fair, I don't think we have ever had the evidence that the tape was wrapped all the way around the head - rather IIRC, we were told there were multiple pieces that covered the mouth area and was still attached to the jaw bone and hair. There was speculation about if the size of the duct tape would also cover a small child's nose if placed over the mouth.

Thanks for helping me out here as I misspoke. Oops! But as I stated earlier...there will be photographic evidence of this tape, it's position on the head, etc. That should be the primary focus.

A couple thoughts come to mind -- 1) Surely the FBI knows that some of their tests may potentially destroy substances in the evidence. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit here (I know the definition of A S S U M E, lol!), but I think they did what they had to do to possibly lift fingerprints, knowing full well it would obliterate the residue. I believe Pipetone has jumped to the wrong conclusions here based on whatever info he was fed by the defense, from whom this leak had to have come. And 2) remember that the FBI brought in fingerprints of other A family members, presumably to rule them out. That suggests to me that they may have actually found a print somewhere. Either way, I think we will know more soon, as I truly believe Bias leaked this info to Pipitone in an effort to pre-empt other more damaging info that's about to be released in the doc dump. I hope and pray that this is the case.

Plus what really bothered me while enlarging the doc so I could read it, I did notice that it looks as if a whole line or two were erased and then written over again.

The chicken scratch small penmanship looks the same but, it bothers me that such important evidence would be allowed to be written over.

What gives? Apparently it's a real page from a FBI report.

Does anyone know how to bring the one page report here as a written page versus a link? So we can refer to it? I learned links now but not how to copy a page from the News cite. Is that possible?

Gotta say, this whole thing stinks to high heaven, especially since this "bombshell" just happens to appear after the motion to dismiss because of evidence being supposedly spoiled.

This "Bombshell" was PART of Baez's Motion to Dismiss. There were 9 Appendixes to this motion, which nobody from the media bothered to get (or at least look at) other than Tony Pipitone from Local 6.

I got this appendix on Wednesday and posted it here yesterday. It was filed Sept. 17.

It is NOT a leak, as some seem to think.:waitasec:

Although somebody from the defense could have tipped Tony as to where in the motion to look. But I think that he, being the good reporter that he is, found it himself. A week after the motion was filed by Baez.

Just setting the record straight. :)

Does anyone know how to bring the one page report here as a written page versus a link? So we can refer to it? I learned links now but not how to copy a page from the News cite. Is that possible?

It's actually a 3-page report, plus the cover page and certificate of service signed by Baez.

The handwriting is so tiny and hard to read, that I don't know if people could see it without getting eyestrain. Literally. :)

It might be better to bring over ExpectingUnicorn's wonderful transcription :clap::clap::clap: from the Spoliation thread.

I agree with you Bakersmom. This is an attempt to take the focus off the fact that there WAS duct tape around the head. They want us to focus on the fact that the sticker residue is gone and forget that there WAS duct tape that was on the skull covering her mouth and nose! Smoke and mirrors. To me, this is irrelevant. Even if there is no photo of it, it is irrelevant. The fact remains the same...there was duct tape wrapped around a small child's head covering the mouth area. That fact won't change, and I'm sure there are photos to document this evidence. Just an attempt to refocus everyone's attention, IMO.

Or it's just something unfortunate that happened. Because if there really was a sticker on the tape that is MORE than having tape around Caylee's mouth/nose/head which is bad enough. If it was there, the Prosecution needs to prove it and it's a shame they might not be able to prove it.

Some things are what they are and not necessarily a play by this side or that side imo. We certainly made a big deal about the report of a heart sticker here which is why I feel sort of deflated to think it may not be able to be proven now.

There are people who saw it though - just maybe not a picture or the preservation of the actual residue on the tape.

Plus what really bothered me while enlarging the doc so I could read it, I did notice that it looks as if a whole line or two were erased and then written over again.

The chicken scratch small penmanship looks the same but, it bothers me that such important evidence would be allowed to be written over.

What gives? Apparently it's a real page from an FBI report.

What that looks like to me is key lines were high-lighted by Baez, I believe.

Highlighting, when copied, looks exactly like that.

The heart shaped residue would in no way be exculpatory evidence, so this can't be what the defense's ridiculous motion was about. And while its not good practice, there's no rule that everything has to be documented. This FBI agent saw it with her own eyes - she can testify about what she saw. The defense can depose her beforehand.

And it sounds bad, but IMO this is more a media bombshell than an evidence bombshell. It shows cruelty, but there's no way the DP would be proposed/not proposed based on a sticker.

The defense might try to say that the search warrant was gotten on false pretenses because there's no evidence there was a heart sticker on the duct tape - but that fails because LE can go on the word of the FBI agent. There's no requirement that you have to have visual proof.

It's actually a 3-page report, plus the cover page and certificate of service signed by Baez.

The handwriting is so tiny and hard to read, that I don't know if people could see it without getting eyestrain. Literally. :)

It might be better to bring over ExpectingUnicorn's wonderful transcription :clap::clap::clap: from the Spoliation thread.

Thanks, I'll try. When I click the link I posted in No. 22, I have to zoom to read it. Even then it's a bit difficult as it is such small writing and seems as if some words are missing letters, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaggieX
Back