EVIDENCE - Pro and Con #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree the tactic appeared to work, taken in isolation. However, how many coincidences can you have? Even with the 'blob' rolling down the road, how can the other pieces that were revealed at the bond hearings be discounted? Factoring in the lies and behaviour of both of them, to me only a few more pieces would bring one to a conclusion that the right people have been accused. The thing that I believe worked more than the blob was the thing about the mistake by the lab with the DNA. Even though Truslow said it was not the solicitor and it was the lab's mistake, in social media it is being bandied about as 'the prosecution lied about the DNA. When everything is laid out I think there are many red flags to look elsewhere to who is responsible for this.

I respectfully disagree with the last sentence. To the contrary IMO there are many more red flags that the M's are guilty. Of course, at this point, our opinions on the guilt of the M's are all speculation and gut feelings/intuition rather than strictly fact-based... we don't know what either side has, aside from short blurbs.

Defense attorneys say things to cast doubt, that is their job. Of course they're going to say that the prosecution doesn't have a case! Truslow has been saying ridiculous things about the case like that SM "can't be legally convicted" of HE's murder. That is most definitely hyperbole. I'm not sure why I should believe his word on the video of the truck/"blob" given his role in the case. From what I can see, a lot of people don't have faith in the local LE in SC (though I'm not from there personally) and that is why so many people are buying into what Truslow and McCollum are saying. Either that, or they need to look at this situation through more of a critical-thinking lens. Just because a guy in a nice suit who has some skill as an orator says something doesn't mean that he's right.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about the judge and his track record than the evidence that the solicitor's office has on the M's. For example, if this defense-friendly judge throws out evidence like the video of the truck... yeah, the case might be hosed at that point.

Faith is one thing. A reasonable doubt standard is another. And given the examples of acquittal successes of guys in nice suits with orator skills, I think the state faces some challenges with the scenarios it's thus far presented. Let's not forget that in another case the state had two bodies, a near decapitation, volumes of blood evidence, and a violent relationship history between the most brutalized victim and the accused, and OJ went free.

A critical lens reveals what it reveals. We'll see what that is at the trial.

As for the judge, I don't consider the biased politicized site source that Googles up on a quick search done on the judge, or, the bond hearing result, credible indicators of a "defense-friendly" track record. I found and read a number of his rulings in different case types and I don't see the trend of bias that's been claimed.

These observations and concerns don't reflect my "buy-in" to the defense position. They reflect my careful reading of the facts we know so far. For example, if I read "Yes, DNA is part of that evidence", and it turns out to be that of the victim, taken from her own car, I have to wonder why the need to imply something that apparently doesn't exist?

And if the state's greater case hangs on a video of a truck, they might be hosed anyway.

Maybe the state has more than it needs. Maybe the defense is already out-smarted and out-witted. Maybe the judge is defense-friendly.

But after following this case since the beginning, based strictly on what's known, I think a number of outcomes are possible for a number of reasons.

JMO

I just got back from my Bi-Lo recon mission. There are lots of CCTVs inside and out.

Funny how you don't really notice them when you're not looking.

I respectfully disagree with the last sentence. To the contrary IMO there are many more red flags that the M's are guilty. Of course, at this point, our opinions on the guilt of the M's are all speculation and gut feelings/intuition rather than strictly fact-based... we don't know what either side has, aside from short blurbs.

Defense attorneys say things to cast doubt, that is their job. Of course they're going to say that the prosecution doesn't have a case! Truslow has been saying ridiculous things about the case like that SM "can't be legally convicted" of HE's murder. That is most definitely hyperbole. I'm not sure why I should believe his word on the video of the truck/"blob" given his role in the case. From what I can see, a lot of people don't have faith in the local LE in SC (though I'm not from there personally) and that is why so many people are buying into what Truslow and McCollum are saying. Either that, or they need to look at this situation through more of a critical-thinking lens. Just because a guy in a nice suit who has some skill as an orator says something doesn't mean that he's right.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about the judge and his track record than the evidence that the solicitor's office has on the M's. For example, if this defense-friendly judge throws out evidence like the video of the truck... yeah, the case might be hosed at that point.

I can understand your disagreeing with me saying, "When everything is laid out I think there are many red flags to look elsewhere to who is responsible for this." I did not phrase what I was trying to say there correctly. When everything is laid out I think there are many other red flags to look at to see that they're responsible for this. I did mean the M's. I respectfully agree with your sentence, " To the contrary IMO there are many more red flags that the M's are guilty." You said what I was trying to say better than I did. :-)

If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, guess what???? It's probably a duck!!!! It is what it is. Something smells amongst them. What did they do with Heather. She will come back somehow, someway. They will not get away with this. The truth will set their souls free;however jail they will be. They haven't met their maker yet, that should be a reality check.

I just got back from my Bi-Lo recon mission. There are lots of CCTVs inside and out.

Funny how you don't really notice them when you're not looking.

I can't wait to see what's on that receipt either!

I may be wrong - and we won't know until the trial ---- but I think the defense WILL argue to get that footage thrown out BECAUSE a jury would be able to put 2+2 together with the image that is on that video and, well, it was easy to see it was their truck. It was shown at the first hearing......

@Hoppy, could you please clarify what you said in the bolded statement above? Was the video actually shown in the first bond hearing or was the video just spoken about as part of the evidence? I think most people are unaware if it was actually shown and most people thought that it was just a part of the evidence spoken to. I think you would agree that there is a big distinction.

I have been digging but cannot find if the video of the truck was played in court. Here are some links and posts of interest to review the case/evidence.

http://www.wbtw.com/story/24992456/...-accused-of-killing-20-year-old-missing-woman

3:36 am.. A private residence video surveillance captures a vehicle coming from the direction of Sidney's headed towards the boat landing. This camera is 1.7 miles from the Moorer's residence.

3:39 am ... a business video surveillance a mile from the first camera closer to the landing captures this vehicle still proceeding in the direction of the boat landing.

3:45 am.. same business video surveillance captures the vehicle coming from the boat landing headed towards the Moorer residence. The camera is approximately 1.2 miles from the landing.

3:46 am the private residence video surveillance captures the vehicle headed from the boat landing to the Moorer residence.

So they have 4 videos of the truck. Two each direction so both sides of the truck.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ec-2013-30***ARREST**&p=10359605#post10359605

From the myrtlebeachonline article above: "At 2:29 a.m. , she called the payphone back, but no one answered. Elvis, who was still at her home, then called Sidney Moorer’s cell phone at 3:16 a.m. and again a minute later. During that call, someone answered the phone and there was a 4:15 minute conversation.

Both Tammy and Sidney Moorer were at their home with the cell phone and Elvis was at her home, Elder said. But based on that conversation, Elvis got in her car and drove to the boat landing, Elder told the court.

At 3:38 a.m. , Elvis’ phone records show her phone was at the boat landing. From there, she called Sidney Moorer’s phone. She called it three more times a minute later, no answer.

At 3:41 a.m. Elvis’ phone stops sending data signals to cell phone towers or to a GPS backup connected to a Google account, Elder said."

Looks like when Sidney's phone was called, whoever answered it was at the Moorer residence. Possibly other calls/texts were also coming in for people other than Heather or they were doing something on the internet which leads LE to be pretty certain all the players were at their respective homes during that time.

Link to hoppy's pictures from first bond hearing:
http://imgur.com/a/1lVsi#0

Links to posts & tweets from first bond hearing:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ec-2013-28***ARREST**&p=10346641#post10346641

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ec-2013-28***ARREST**&p=10345183#post10345183

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ec-2013-28***ARREST**&p=10344497#post10344497

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ec-2013-28***ARREST**&p=10345216#post10345216

https://twitter.com/MarcLiverman/status/445633476503818241

https://twitter.com/MarcLiverman/status/445633070428069888

https://twitter.com/MarcLiverman/status/445631126473023488

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/24788974/timeline-of-events-in-the-heather-elvis-case

A few more things about the Bi-Lo receipt...

1. The receipt was found in a blue outdoor trash can during the search (2/21/14).
  2. The receipt was dated 12/18/13 (the night/day Heather went missing).

-That's more than a full year that the receipt was at the M's and found by LE. An oversight by the M's? - wrong timeframe :blushing:

-I wonder if a Bi-Lo Bonuscard[SUP]®[/SUP] was used with the purchase? It would show on the receipt. Most if not everyone uses a Bonuscard. Additional purchase information could be found if LE looked into it. Not sure what might be found – but could be worth the effort IMO.

-The Bi-Lo Bonuscard is also used for what is called "Fuel Perks". You earn discounts for gas with grocery purchases from Bi-Lo. Only certain gas stations participate in this program and the only one in the Socastee area is at The Turtle Market on 707 (which is across the highway 544 from the Bi-Lo). Again, purchase info can be obtained from Bi-Lo card for gas.

-The receipt along with CCTV from the Bi-Lo can certainly confirm the M's whereabouts on the 18th.

-Even further, the bonuscard could be telling as well.

I always wondered about that receipt not being found until a year later. I wonder what else was in that trash can. I hope LE investigates it further too. They should be doing everything they can and not laying on anything about this case.

A few more things about the Bi-Lo receipt...

1. [*]The receipt was found in a blue outdoor trash can during the search (2/21/14).
    [*]The receipt was dated 12/18/13 (the night Heather went missing).

-That's more than a full year that the receipt was at the M's and found by LE. An oversight by the M's?

-I wonder if a Bi-Lo Bonuscard[SUP]®[/SUP] was used with the purchase? It would show on the receipt. Most if not everyone uses a Bonuscard. Additional purchase information could be found if LE looked into it. Not sure what might be found – but could be worth the effort IMO.

-The Bi-Lo Bonuscard is also used for what is called "Fuel Perks". You earn discounts for gas with grocery purchases from Bi-Lo. Only certain gas stations participate in this program and the only one in the Socastee area is at The Turtle Market on 707 (which is across the highway 544 from the Bi-Lo). Again, purchase info can be obtained from Bi-Lo card for gas.

-The receipt along with CCTV from the Bi-Lo can certainly confirm the M's whereabouts on the 18th.

-Even further, the bonuscard could be telling as well.

BBM Maybe I am misreading this, but isn't December 18, 2013 to February 21, 2014 just 2 months and 3 days-not over a year?

Also, didn't Heather go missing in the early morning hours of the 18th? So the receipt could have been anywhere from a few hours before she went missing to almost a full day after she went missing.

We'll find out at trial and likely not before...

whenever trial occurs....

Another thought about the receipt.

It's interesting that it was found in an outside trash can. To me at least.

Typically if you purchase groceries from the store, you take your grocery bag(s) inside your home and discard the receipt in your kitchen trash can. Then, when your kitchen trash can is full, you take the bag to a larger trash container outside for the garbage man or take it to the dump as we do here. (In all actuality, we save all of our receipts for at least a year. Then, we shred and recycle them.)

So, for a receipt to end up in a trash container outside leads me to believe that whatever was purchased was not perishable or were items that never made it inside the house. Just a speculative observation on my part. For instance, if I bought lighter fluid for the grill that's in my back yard, I'd most likely not even take it inside first.

Aerial shot from search. Looks like a 55 gallon drum used as trash can...

bj74ex.jpg

rqycd2.jpg

I've been wondering about the blue trash can. I couldn't picture one until you posted that image, PTF. I kept imagining a recycle bin and wondering if they have recycling out there, then realizing that it couldn't possibly matter, either way. Just sharing my analysis paralysis. :crazy:

Surely the report would read "recycle bin" if it was one, though, right? :crazy:

The way I look at the receipt is that it's important and helpful to the state. I think it's what they bought not so much the time they bought it.

JMO

Another thought about the receipt.

It's interesting that it was found in an outside trash can. To me at least.

Typically if you purchase groceries from the store, you take your grocery bag(s) inside your home and discard the receipt in your kitchen trash can. Then, when your kitchen trash can is full, you take the bag to a larger trash container outside for the garbage man or take it to the dump as we do here. (In all actuality, we save all of our receipts for at least a year. Then, we shred and recycle them.)

So, for a receipt to end up in a trash container outside leads me to believe that whatever was purchased was not perishable or were items that never made it inside the house. Just a speculative observation on my part. For instance, if I bought lighter fluid for the grill that's in my back yard, I'd most likely not even take it inside first.

Aerial shot from search. Looks like a 55 gallon drum used as trash can...

bj74ex.jpg

rqycd2.jpg

Good stuff, PTF. Amazing the receipt was even around after a couple of months, but maybe that outdoor one didnt get brought to the curb often.

I hope the receipt shows a purchase which will incriminate. In the Sierra LaMar case, her suspected killer, Antolin Garcia-Torres was found to have purchased bleach and a turkey baster (ugh, I know...). Sierra's case is also a no body case, as I am sure many on WS are aware and I believe these receipts are very important. What incriminating items could have been purchased at bi-lo? I keep thinking large trash bags, deodorizers, cleaning supplies as the obvious. What else?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back