Family dog kills owner in back yard in Broward

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And another one - with a photograph of the injuries 4 year-old George Brown incurred from an uncontrolled bulldog:

Father of dog attack victim says police need new powers

Mr Brown was speaking as Harvey Lawrence, another young boy who was freed from the jaws of a rottweiler on Tuesday, continued his recovery in hospital in Chichester. The incident came three days after the death of Cadey-Lee Deacon, a baby girl mauled by two rottweilers in a flat above a pub in Leicester.

The two attacks on children this week and the hearing into the attack last month on Mr Brown’s son have injected fresh urgency into calls for a new approach to the legislation and care of dangerous dogs.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2378651,00.html

reasoning for more dog attacks?

Evidence suggests that the number of dog attacks on human beings is rising, partly because of the number of new owners acquiring potentially lethal animals to defend themselves or intimidate others.

Karole28 said:
Edited to add:

I now have a Great Dane (female) and I don't remember who posted on this thread that they believe them not to like children, let me state: Mine is completely devoted to children (I'm not adding the caveat that they need to be mine, she makes no distinction) and believes herself to be mother to them all. On the other hand, woe be unto anyone who tried to hurt one in front of her.
Every Dane I've had are the same way with chldren! They just want to follow and tag along with every kid they see. They go to a local park with me, and I have to really restrain them when they hear a child crying...they want to go see what's wrong. The only danger mine are too small children is their wagging tail, it can knock a small child down.

[
IdahoMom said:
Thanks!
It sounds like the dog you encountered wanted a little companionship and I think that's sweet. :)

You are right about the failings taking place here. The most glaring, in my opinion, is that of the neighbors', who have thumbed their noses at everyone around them. Like I said before, I really resent having to push this to the point that we have to go to court.
You really have a serious problem IM. Going to court would be a good way to settle this, but how long will that take? I would warn the neighbors that if THAT dog is ever in MY yard it WILL be shot. I love dogs, but when one is threatening my child's safety, it has to go.
My mother owned German Shepherds and she had a neighbor who always let her poodle run loose in the neighborhood. My mother warned her about her dog coming in our yard. The poodle was lucky on many occasions of running out of her yard just in the nick of time. Well poodle came in one day and her Shepherds tore it to pieces and took the carcass to the curb. Her dogs NEVER left the boundaries of our property. The neighbor called the cops and was told there was nothing that could be done. Our dogs were in our yard, hers was not leashed or confined to her property. The police and animal control had talked to her on other complaints about her dog. She was outta luck.

SadieMae said:
Every Dane I've had are the same way with chldren! They just want to follow and tag along with every kid they see. They go to a local park with me, and I have to really restrain them when they hear a child crying...they want to go see what's wrong. The only danger mine are too small children is their wagging tail, it can knock a small child down.

Absolutely! Mine is always checking on all of us. We have to spell her name or she'll run over to see what we're calling her for. But, just let one of the kids make a distressed noise (even if it's laughing) and she has to know what's going on and who is involved. Nosy Rosy is my nickname for her.

(she also wants to mother a kitten we found, we have to constantly keep her off of it, I'm afraid she'll try and "hatch" it. If it's in another room and the door is closed, she'll lay with her head at the threshold and whine for it.)

And, yep! Thank God mine and my relative's children are all out of the toddler stages. Her tail is a menace. But, that's the only part that is.

:)

No, not all Danes dislike children, but SOME do. I've known many and they were great dogs that I trusted, but a couple of them were not trust worthy with children. One of them for good reason - he lived in a huge fenced "pasture" and kids teased him. Don't blame him in the least.

But it's not unheard of for a few Danes (like many of the larger breeds who may be a bit "pushy" with smaller creatures of any species) to be a bit iffy with kids. The main reason I was concerned with this particular situation is the owners are not particularly "dog savy" so if there ever were an "at risk" situation, this one could be.

But no, I didn't mean to imply Danes as a rule aren't safe. But I think with a lot of large breeds just due to height issues and the fact that they are often eye to eye with children, you must have some sense and knowledge about training. Oh yeah, little dogs can be bad with kids as well, but some dogs react to eye to eye direct contact as aggression and if their origin is guarding or hunting, small running and playfully screaming kids can appear awfully close to prey.

Malapoo said:
No, not all Danes dislike children, but SOME do. I've known many and they were great dogs that I trusted, but a couple of them were not trust worthy with children. One of them for good reason - he lived in a huge fenced "pasture" and kids teased him. Don't blame him in the least.

But it's not unheard of for a few Danes (like many of the larger breeds who may be a bit "pushy" with smaller creatures of any species) to be a bit iffy with kids. The main reason I was concerned with this particular situation is the owners are not particularly "dog savy" so if there ever were an "at risk" situation, this one could be.

But no, I didn't mean to imply Danes as a rule aren't safe. But I think with a lot of large breeds just due to height issues and the fact that they are often eye to eye with children, you must have some sense and knowledge about training. Oh yeah, little dogs can be bad with kids as well, but some dogs react to eye to eye direct contact as aggression and if their origin is guarding or hunting, small running and playfully screaming kids can appear awfully close to prey.
I agree with all you've said. Just like with any dog, it's behavior is the responsibility of the owner and certain breeds are just risky. Danes by nature are not solitary dogs, they want to be with "their" people in the house with them. Mine have been socialized with other animals, people and children from day one. I also have a stray kitten they "adopted" at 7 weeks old. None of them had been around a cat before and they never tried to hurt her. My kitten is now 8 months old and she's the boss of them! :D
Some dogs do have a high prey instinct and that's not exclusive to any breed.
Keeping a Dane living in the pasture was very cruel. Being teased probably stressed the poor thing. He associated "little" people with cruelty to him.

I was told having a pitt bull voids many homeowners insurance policies. And without homeowner's insurance, something bad happens to your mortgage.

T-Rex said:
I was told having a pitt bull voids many homeowners insurance policies. And without homeowner's insurance, something bad happens to your mortgage.
It's not just pits. Each company has their own list of dogs. I think they will either have to get rid of the dog or pay an outrageous amount in premiums to keep it. Thus hiking their mortgage payment. I for one, just don't understand why anyone would want to own an aggressive dog, regardless of breed. :confused:

T-Rex said:
Actually, I think I've heard of someone using that to get an owner to control their dog - call up and notify their homeowners insurance of what type of dog they have, and what they are letting it do. After all, they may be on the hook for a few million if the worst happens.

IdahoMom said:
What else can be done when they approach you? I really don't think I would have the presence of mind to talk nice and get strategic....I am very afraid of dogs and they know it.
How to survive a dog attack. Read up on what better to do there. :)

Taximom said:
I was not fast enough with the speakers. :doh:

I hate it when freaks do this. I won't even give them the satisfaction of calling them "religious" freaks, because there is no religion there at all.
I am outraged that this man's psychotic hatred has sullied my state's reputation. (Especially since he wasn't born in Kansas.) Believe it or not, there are a lot of sane, rational, SCIENTIFIC Kansans. I am one of them. Here is a Fred Phelps expose', and here is a Wikipedia article about his "church". They are true evil. (There is also a death that is suspicious to say the least, in their history.) I belong to a message board which has someone who lives in Topeka, and whose church is regularly picketed by Fred Phelps. She says he has a "palpable aura of evil" about him.

Awww thats cute! I don't have a Dane but I have a German Shepherd and she is exactly the same way and yes we even have to spell out her name when talk about her or she will come running. She is soooooo nosey too lol

Karole28 said:
Absolutely! Mine is always checking on all of us. We have to spell her name or she'll run over to see what we're calling her for. But, just let one of the kids make a distressed noise (even if it's laughing) and she has to know what's going on and who is involved. Nosy Rosy is my nickname for her.

(she also wants to mother a kitten we found, we have to constantly keep her off of it, I'm afraid she'll try and "hatch" it. If it's in another room and the door is closed, she'll lay with her head at the threshold and whine for it.)

And, yep! Thank God mine and my relative's children are all out of the toddler stages. Her tail is a menace. But, that's the only part that is.

:)

KatK said:
I am outraged that this man's psychotic hatred has sullied my state's reputation. (Especially since he wasn't born in Kansas.) Believe it or not, there are a lot of sane, rational, SCIENTIFIC Kansans. I am one of them. Here is a Fred Phelps expose', and here is a Wikipedia article about his "church". They are true evil. (There is also a death that is suspicious to say the least, in their history.) I belong to a message board which has someone who lives in Topeka, and whose church is regularly picketed by Fred Phelps. She says he has a "palpable aura of evil" about him.
Kat-
When I clicked on that site, I assumed it had something to do with Fred Phelps. I didn't want to go looking for who it belonged to, though. I am shocked that he could turn Diane Whipple's brutal death due to 2 vicious Presa Canarios into "proof" that God hates gays. I'm sorry for you that he lives in your state. He has come to Idaho and stirred things up here, too.

KatK said:
How to survive a dog attack. Read up on what better to do there. :)
Thanks for the link, Kat. Good article. My husband said that grabbing one of our heavy metal patio chairs and holding it in front of us might be helpful. He made the point that lion tamers use chairs with lions. I could see how a dog might be confused at how to "get at" someone if they have a heavy metal chair with four legs pointed at him.
4b10f368.gif

T-Rex said:
The property owners live in California right now and the house is being rented for the time being. We have sent a letter to the owners, notifying them of the problems the surrounding neighbors are having with the tenants.

One time I was sitting on the porch with my daughters, who were two and six at the time. Our neighbor's Shar Pei came running into our yard and growling and running up to obviously attack the BABY!!! Thankfully, before I had time to react myself, our Lab made mincemeat of the dog. 170 stitches and the owner had the nerve to send us the vet bill! Can you imagine?! Well; the neighborhood banded together and they ended up getting rid of the dog. There is strength in numbers. Since this experience, I have been afraid of nearly all dogs that aren't my own. I had never heard anything bad about Shar Pei's before.

IdahoMom said:
The property owners live in California right now and the house is being rented for the time being. We have sent a letter to the owners, notifying them of the problems the surrounding neighbors are having with the tenants.
Did the owners know their tenants had a pet when they rented? If not, good reason to kick them out. Gosh IM, this might be the easiest to get rid of the dog.

Sheromom said:
One time I was sitting on the porch with my daughters, who were two and six at the time. Our neighbor's Shar Pei came running into our yard and growling and running up to obviously attack the BABY!!! Thankfully, before I had time to react myself, our Lab made mincemeat of the dog. 170 stitches and the owner had the nerve to send us the vet bill! Can you imagine?! Well; the neighborhood banded together and they ended up getting rid of the dog. There is strength in numbers. Since this experience, I have been afraid of nearly all dogs that aren't my own. I had never heard anything bad about Shar Pei's before.
Yep, I can believe she had the nerve to!! The poodle lady tried suing my parents for the death of her dog.

Update on that damn dog: (the one that terrorized our neighborhood before & I mentioned earlier on this thread)

The people with the pitbull moved to a subdivision next to our's last spring/summer (can't remember when).

Yesterday, I was driving out of my neighborhood when I got a call from a neighbor on my street. She said "Do you have a black cat with red collar?" I told her "No, that's Shadow. He lives in the house across the street from me". The lady then went on to tell me that a brindle pitbull and young rottweiler had gotten ahold of Shadow and hurt him pretty badly. I turned around and went home and saw that Shadow was in a neighbor's yard in great distress. The dogs had hurt him pretty badly. Another neighbor lady was out with gloves on with a cat carrier nearby. Shadow was in so much distress he didn't want us near him. I ran home and grabbed a big beach towel and threw it on top of him so that we could approach him. The cat carrier was right near his head and we could see him pull himself into the cat carrier, underneath the towel. I took off with him to go to an emergency animal clinic and my neighbors tried getting ahold of his owners, who weren't at home. They arrived at the animal clinic before I did. I'm hearing that he may be alright.

I am sure that this is the same dog that has caused so many problems before. The neighbor lady that saw the attack is sure it is, plus I have heard that the people that own the pitbull recently acquired a rottweiler, too. I'm going to ask around today to see what happened when my neighbors called the Humane Society and complained. I hope this won't be another round of frustrating experiences with them.

The dog is a menace and his owners don't give a damn about anyone or anything around them!:furious:

eta: I'm more upset with the dog's owner than the dog!

OOHHH Shar Pei's can be extremely dangerous!! Originally bred as guard dogs the breed almost became extinct to avoid to much inbreeding other breeds were used to revive the breed...
Chow's being among them.. which is why some shar pei's have the purple tongue unique to chow's.

They are actually known for aggression.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back