Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been keeping up with threads on WS on this, but I have read multiple media reports on it. From everything the parents have stated, she was fine before surgery. No she wasn't, she was suffering diseases that are normally associated with obese adults. They said she was fine when she woke up, laughing and talking. They then stated that the nurses were "rude" when telling them Jahi needs to rest, no talking. Before any complications, they were already critical of the hospital staff, and to me it seems like they would have found something wrong even if she would have come out of this surgery successful, and alive.

Then she got a Popsicle. That's fairly common in a normal tonsillectomy, but Jahi had a lot more done that just removal of the tonsils. But did they sneak her any other food? She starts bleeding, clots, which is a good thing. And instead of following the orders to let her bleed into the cups so the doctor could measure the clots, Grandma sections her throat, which IMO is what ultimately killed the poor girl.

I honestly feel like they are trying to let her heal so the coroner cannot determine the suctioning as cause of death. I may be wrong but I think Grandma can go to jail for doing that and lose her nursing license. I sound like a looney conspiracy theorist, but I can see no other reason to watch your child decompose other than to save a family member from going to jail.

I am not a medical professional, I could be completely wrong. This is all the opinion of a person who thinks this family should let their daughter rest in peace.

There was a case where this happened.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/03/14/nyregion/brain-dead-baby-s-heart-stops-despite-ventilator.html

Jahi McMath: Brain-dead girl moved to undisclosed care facility

"Jahi is at the facility," Christopher Dolan said in a telephone interview. He wouldn't disclose where Jahi was sent but did say the facility had stepped up to take the girl and the location not necessarily outside the state of California.

He also said the girl's body had "deteriorated so badly" during her treatment at the hospital that the long-term prognosis for survival is not an optimistic one.

"She's in very bad shape," he said. "Right now, we don't know if she's going to make it."

http://www.insidebayarea.com/news/ci_24853880/jahi-mcmath-brain-dead-girl-moved-undisclosed-care

:banghead: :maddening:

Right, so they will let her go and blame the hospital for not feeding her. :rolleyes:

Well that's a quick turn around in terms of how the deceased child is doing. Last week she was doing well, responding to touch, moving, warm, appearing perfect, albeit as though asleep. Now she's in bad shape?

What I can tell you is that those examinations show that her medical condition, separate from the brain issue, is not good," Dolan said.

No kidding, she's been deceased for almost a month....I thought they wanted privacy......:banghead:

Separate from the brain issue? Well if he took any high school biology shouldn't he know that it's kind of hard to live without the functioning brain?

"...the long-term prognosis for survival is not an optimistic one."

That is probably the first true thing that Dolan has said about Jahi's condition. Once someone's been dead for nearly a month the prognosis is never good.

Right!

I also think this statement is a very carefully planned one:

He also said the girl's body had "deteriorated so badly" during her treatment at the hospital that the long-term prognosis for survival is not an optimistic one.

"During her treatment at the hospital". So between last night and today, now that she is out she has deteriorated so badly? :waitasec:

Loaded statement for sure.. IMO

Makes me so sad for Jahi. :rose: RIP little one. :cry:

Sounds like they had somebody else examine her. And that somebody told them it doesn't look good.

Medical professionals: How long would stomach contents remain in a brain-dead individual?

Forgive me for not quoting from posts above re: the attorney's assertion the brain death criteria arose from Gun shot victims...

He may be referring to the fact that organ donations from otherwise healthy individuals whose brains have been destroyed are the most sought after because these patients were not being treated for disorders and diseases that would render any organs unusable in other patients. Motorcycle/car accident victims and gun shot victims are primary sources.

The brain is already damaged beyond repair. If the heart still beats the body shouldn't be decomposing.

That's not at all correct.

Perhaps "decomposing" is not the best term to use. Her body is degenerating.

As she has not spontaneous respirations, even with mechanical ventilation, her lungs are not acting normally to oxygenate her body and pulmonary secretions cannot be expectorated (coughed) up.

She requires medication to maintain her blood pressure, as her brainstem can no longer induce her heart and vasoreceptors to activate.

Diabetes insipidus has set in so that her body cannot concentrate the urine in normal fashion and either has to get external medication or cause electrolye imbalances.

Her lower bowel will have shut down and her stomach and small bowel are not likely moving any bile or sloughed cells through her gut, so there is probably bacterial overgrowth occuring and the gut may start to break down.

She will be developing fecal impaction from lack of lower bowel function.

The secondary vascular pumping effect from our usual daily muscle movements won't be happening and extracelluar fluid normally removed back into the venous circulation will pool in her skin and soft tissue, with edema, and eventually pressure sore breakdown even with the very best of nursing care. As her buttocks and back will be the most dependent area, stool leakage from around the fecal impaction will contaminate any bedding and start to infect the skin. Her underlying morbid obesity may actually be contributing to this problem of skin breakdown.

There is more, but I don't really want to get more descriptive.

Just because a ventilator is inflating her lungs and her heart is getting enough oxygen to avoid an arrythmia does not mean her body is not slowly degenerating. It simply can't go on indefinitely.

I think it is a means of physical torture and abuse of a human being's remains to allow this to persist much longer. Say their goodbyes in the privacy of her home and remove the vent to let her physical form go. The essence of Jahi is already gone. Don't worship the physical shell. Honor the soul and memory of your child.

That would be my guess as well.
Her heart could probably stop during these procedures. Who in the world wants to be doing these procedures considering the family could easily blame them for "killing" her?

And does the family even want to pay for a procedure that might not make any difference for her "survival" anyway? Assuming that they have now realized that she is in bad shape and does not have a healthy glow.

Natalie Neysa Alund ‏@nataliealund 2m
"She's in very bad shape," family attorney @cbdlaw says of #JahiMcMath's condition today http://www.insidebayarea.com/news/ci_24853880/jahi-mcmath-brain-dead-girl-moved-undisclosed-care … @insidebayarea @3rdERH

From the link:

Dolan said procedures deemed necessary for a facility to take Jahi were not yet performed, including feeding and tracheotomy tubes, because other physical issues have arisen in the aftermath of her care at the hospital. He would not disclose what those issues were but said Jahi has been examined by independent doctors since her release.

"What I can tell you is that those examinations show that her medical condition, separate from the brain issue, is not good," Dolan said.

Really, Mr. Dolan, what were you expecting? She died 12/12, and no matter how much oxygen is pumped into her body, it will shut down, it will decompose, and that is exactly what has happened. I don't even want to think about what type of shape this poor child's body is in, and it isn't due to her care at CHO, it's due to the fact that she passed away weeks ago.

Shame on them for subjecting this poor child's body to this treatment, and then blaming everyone else when things went south. You wanted to get her out of there, well, you got your wish. It is now up to you and the family to figure out what to do, and it's her mother's responsibility.

IMO. So grossed out by all of this.

Sounds like they had some doctor lined up to insert the feeding tube. Sounds like that doctor backed out because body is in very poor shape.

Sounds like they had somebody else examine her. And that somebody told them it doesn't look good.

I think someone else told the family that the child is dead. That's no worse than what the hospital told them on Dec 12, but for whatever reason, this is new information for the family.

As much as I get so angry with the media reporting and the lack of investigation into facts, I have keep in mind that the players can choose what media outlets they give interviews with. The media outlets want these interviews, for the views, so they refrain from saying things that would go against the players statements or beliefs.

The game that is played, $uck$, from a viewer standpoint and in this and other cases, the other sides standpoint, because misinformation is spread.

They wanted her out of the hospital, she's out......As of yesterday according to them she was doing well, was still thick and moving, now not so good....I thought once she left the hospital her mom assumed responsibility, maybe the move contributed to her decline.......She is gone, she was never getting better.....

If Dolan tries to introduce the "independent physician(s)'" report of her detiorated condition in court, then that physician will be openly identified and probably required to provide sworn testimony.

I just can't get the SNL General Francisco Franco updates out of my mind.

This is just exactly like that, and that was a comedy skit.

They wanted her out of the hospital, she's out......As of yesterday according to them she was doing well, was still thick and moving, now not so good....I thought once she left the hospital her mom assumed responsibility, maybe the move contributed to her decline.......She is gone, she was never getting better.....

And glowing. Don't forget the glowing. :facepalm:

If there had been someone other than the mother allowed to be GAL, this sort of stuff would have been stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro