Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Asking for $$$ can be justified or rationalized by any group you can think of. Religious, Political, Special Interest, if it's one thing many groups have in common it's the campaigning for funds to forward the group's agenda.

Such a lesson, if there's one to be learned by a person who donates, is not going to be realized until after they've spent their money. And as we know, some people never learn from mistakes and are often ripe for the picking. Caveat Emptor!

Donations are "gifts" and can be tax deductible.

Anyone can donate to whatever they choose, they need not know any facts.

Unfortunately, "Keep Jahi Alive", does mean her heart still beats, and blood still flows. That is the simple minded Christ message in most churches. Who ever was told they should think? In fact, I had a job once with extremely religious folks that told me I should never ask "WHY". So, a lot of people believe Jahi is alive.

I do not. I know there is nothing there but a shell that will fall apart. But, I am not hyper religious.

I studied World Religion because of my family and friends. I found that it is basic psychology with different names for the characters, meant to help you not make mistakes your elders did. Written in an old world language, depending on your Country of origin, depends on the names of the religious Gods/characters/prayers. Poetry. Only a helping hand with reality, but change the names to Jahi, mom, dad, uncle whomever. And this family wants it to be Shakespeare. Okay, all the same. Shakespeare was only a reiteration of the words of religions and bibles.

The point is, can Jahi think? Can she feel? Can she chose to eat, sleep, defecate, urinate, have sex, laugh, cry, recognize a face or a voice, can she do anything at all? OR, does the machine simply pump oxygen and a muscle?

My above point being:

Jahi will never know about an outside BBQ, or playing with her cousins or neighbors. She will never know about going to school, or boyfriends, or marriage, or children.

She will never be able to say:

"Mama I had fun today eating ribs with Cousin Titi, mama I had fun today playing with Monique and JJ, mama I like to listen to Macy and Jay Z, mama I had fun on the slides, mama I had fun dancing today, mama Uncle Z's boys beat me up after school, mama here is a Valentine Card I made for you, mama, I want to sit in your lap, Mama I want to make memories......... Mama....."

Mama;

I am trapped in a bed. Lying still, like Great-Great Grandpa all that time before he died. Mama, I don't want to be here, I want to be with Great-Great Grandpa. I can have fun then, and make sure you are okay all of the time. The bed hurts my body Mama. I am waiting with Great-Great Grandpa, he holds my hand, but needs your help....

{Sorry if too much, I worked in medical many years ago in a small town with Assisted Older, Retirement, and Youth that could not take care of themselves - but were unfortunately able to think - I cannot explain the sadness for those that could think, they all literally wanted to go, and for good reason, if they had any mind left at all.}

Jahi is not in her body; she's been gone for 2 months. They are keeping a shell on machines, but Jahi's soul is not trapped (IMHO). Obviously that's a belief, but there is no consciousness in any form there. Her brain is gone. A coroner signed a death cert. She is deceased.

Donations are "gifts" and can be tax deductible.

Anyone can donate to whatever they choose, they need not know any facts.

Donations are only tax deductable if they are to a registered non profit. (That includes things such as schools, some kinds of public parks and some other things.) You can't just donate anywhere and get a tax deduction.

Donations are only tax deductable if they are to a registered non profit. (That includes things such as schools, some kinds of public parks and some other things.) You can't just donate anywhere and get a tax deduction.

Definitely true that donations to a donation fund ARE taxable to the recipient. I am somewhat surprised that someone hasn't yet figured out that if they formed a "Keep Brain Dead Children on Life Support, Inc" foundation or nonprofit that they can avoid taxes. But then, they would have to actually do the documentation to register the nonprofit or foundation with the IRS, file tax forms next year, etc.

The donations to the "fund me" site will have to eventually be claimed by someone on their taxes as income.

Hopefully Atty Dolan is helping them navigate the legal responsibilities for properly documenting the donations, etc. There might be a mechanism to move the donations directly into a trust to pay the bills for Jahi's body's care, without having to pay taxes on them-- IDK. But it is something that the family will eventually have to deal with.

Too bad their church friends, like the outspoken Rev Mayberry, didn't think ahead a little bit to help them out in this area-- would've made things a lot easier for them, IMO. They could've funneled all the donations thru the church for them, held rallies, passed the donation plate, etc. And then handed the family the cash-- no messy tax issues.

I am kind of surprised a church and a pastor hasn't stepped up to shelter and mentor the family. But who knows, maybe they have and the family didn't want their help. IDK.

Her heart could beat for a short time after the ventilator was removed but it wouldnt beat for long.

There's a part of me that wonders about the legality of accepting the donations. The page was originally set up to gather money for long-distance transportation but that didnt happen. So I wonder how the money is actually being used.

I hope that it's going to maintenance and care of Jahi's body but I have no way of knowing that. I actually sent a message to the page administration asking how the money was being used but heard nothing back. I'm sure the people donating don't care one way or another because they assume their dollars are going to Jahi somehow.

I'm not a lawyer but it seems to me that if one is collecting money for one purpose and then does not use it for that purpose, one is committing fraud. Is that right?

---------
Hi, I agree with you. I also think anyone who would donate to keep a dead person alive wouldnt think far enough to wonder where the money is going.Sad but true.:seeya:

The old saying, "A fool & his money are soon parted" is very apt in this case. It makes you wonder how a fool & his money got together in the first place! ;)

Sounds like she still isn't coming to terms with the fact that her daughter will never "get better". Sympathy from others lasts only so long and with comments like that from the family, it (sympathy) is dwindling fast.

MOO
----------------
TorisMom, Jahi is losing weight. She no doubt will soon be skin and bones. How her mother can watch this I dont know, I could not and I saw a lot. sometimes I had to hang on to my sons bed in order to stand. The hospital also told us he could not survive on liquids only ( with electrolytes etc.) they wanted to insert the gtube. With that in place he was so much better. He of course had full use of his brain except full brainstem, totally coherant (sp)..
..Today is his daughters wedding anniversary, he was in Heaven for it. :seeya:

Jahi had a lot of excess weight (i.e. fat), so while her body is losing weight it might still be some time before she gets to anything approaching a skin 'n bones stage. Her mother is so deep in denial who knows what she "sees" when she looks at her daughter. We're not dealing with rational thinking in this case.

I'm okay with "not knowing" where Jahi's body has been taken. The outcome is inevitable-- her heart will stop at some point. And in the mean time, the condition of her body is deteriorating every day. I'm sure her body has lost a great deal of weight, and is barely recognizable to even her family. I'm sure her trach smells horrible, as well as many other unpleasant body changes. I can't even imagine the condition of her mouth and eyes.

This family has created their own sad, difficult, pitiful situation by bringing her body "wherever", and trying to pretend she is going to open her eyes and rise up any day now. The reality of her body's condition is the painful truth the family has to see, touch, and smell. They may not "acknowledge" this openly on their facebook sites, but it's not something they can avoid.

I'm glad the media has left them alone. Uncle O and Atty Dolan have lost their daily platform. When her heart stops, we will hear something. I hope it's soon. It's beyond time for this teen to be laid to rest. IMO.
----------
Hi K_Z, I agree. When you mention eyes and mouth I think of Travis. I know it is beyond words to see your child in a casket, tears the heart out of your body. Seeing Jahi like this is a nightmare. Even with fluids it cant be pretty. I seriously hope someone gets mental help for the mother. I am beginnig to wonder what her state of mind was before this happened. I do think the brother has gone on with his life, may look at the situation as we do. I am sure the Coroner knows exactly where Jahi is. They will never tell. Jahi is still a corpse and while on Earth Coroner must know where if for nothing more than health issues. I am beeginning to think Jahi is no longer on earth but in it. Would they tell? at this point I wonder, unless they need more money.IMO
:loveyou:

Jahi had a lot of excess weight (i.e. fat), so while her body is losing weight it might still be some time before she gets to anything approaching a skin 'n bones stage. Her mother is so deep in denial who knows what she "sees" when she looks at her daughter. We're not dealing with rational thinking in this case.

Assuming she still IS in denial, she is probably thinking about how happy Jahi will be when she wakes up and discovers that she's down 2-3 sizes. Just think of all the pretty new clothes she'll be able to wear.

Assuming she still IS in denial, she is probably thinking about how happy Jahi will be when she wakes up and discovers that she's down 2-3 sizes. Just think of all the pretty new clothes she'll be able to wear.

From what mother said previously, she liked her daughte being a "thick girl."

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/letter-jahi-mcmaths-mother-about-recent-developmen/ndTtZ/

This letter forwarded by Jahi's uncle Omari Sealy marks the first time in over a month KTVU has heard from Winkfield. She has declined to speak on camera, but has written an open letter addressing the difficulties she and her family have endured over the past month. She also notes that Jahi is not suffering and is surrounded by love.

respectfully, One can't suffer when one is dead.

SophieRose
Thx for link w Jahi's Mom's new letter w the following:

".... It is my belief that faith in God, your prayers, and the incredible kindness of good hearted medical professionals,
are the main reasons my daughter is alive today. ..."

Does this suggest these med profs have been/are providing services to Jahi for free?
Or just that these med profs have been/are providing services, period, in these circumstances?

Just wondering.

.... I'm curious about why the uncle chose this particular tv station. I'm fairly sure we'll never know but my curiosity knows almost no bounds, as you all may have noticed. :)
BBM S...BM

I've not pd particular attn to tv coverage.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/...elopmen/ndTtZ/
Is it poss that ktvu's coverage has been more sympathetic to Jahi & fam than other local stations or networks?
What about CNN or HLN w bigger audience for more crowdfunding $?

Just wondering.
:seeya:

I'm curious about why the uncle chose this particular tv station. I'm fairly sure we'll never know but my curiosity knows almost no bounds, as you all may have noticed. :)

KTVU is their local Fox station. It's been around for a very long time (way before Fox ever came into existence), and is one of the main Bay Area stations from back in the days when we only got 3-4 channels on TV. It was the Dialing-For-Dollars station that Janis Joplin mentioned in her "Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz" song :) As it is Oakland-based, rather than San Francisco, Uncle O probably felt most comfortable contacting them.

:floorlaugh: That's exactly what I thought!

I originally thought the letter was going to talk about Jahi but there was barely any mention of her; it was all about the mom being grateful for all the support. <modsnip>

I'm curious about why the uncle chose this particular tv station. I'm fairly sure we'll never know but my curiosity knows almost no bounds, as you all may have noticed. :)

----------
Hi ca2james, I feel your cynical mind is correct. She mentions support more tahn once, I dont think she means helping her stand!! I would bet it is the reason for the letter. They are trying on peoples sympathy. I think the Rooster has crowed.:floorlaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
culley2821