Fast Food Workers Want $15/hr

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM - Why would skilled workers want to move into unskilled jobs? :waitasec:

But wait the economy is doing great right? Hope and change. And it is just the under privileged types that need help and need to have their salaries doubled cause.....well just cause...of those rich evil ____ guys.

The country is now corrupt from top to bottom. The "underprivileged" aren't the victims, they are the product of corruption, and every time I see someone at the grocery store buying a ton of expensive baby food and formula using their WIC card, or food stamps, or whatever it is......I see red.

If you can't feed 'em don't breed 'em. That concept is just so alien these days.

Obviously it's not, since it provides for ways to amend it, and provides for a legislature to pass laws for things not covered in that document.

If it WERE the end all, business owners down south would still be making profits off the backs of slaves, and women wouldn't have the right to vote.

right,the Republicans were responsible for slavery ending, the democrats put blacks into a new slavery called government dependency. Republicans also pioneered the right for women to vote.

With that said, the Constitution IS the basis for our laws, and it is the end all. It may be amended, but that doesn't mean the basis of our country stops being a Constitutional Republic (yet anyway)

Regardless of how atrociously low the current wage is, the sad fact is that skilled folks ARE competing for them, right now, because often they are the only jobs out there.

And so when someone takes a job like this, because its better than nothing a all - they are mocked, or met with "just get a better job if you don't like the pay!" :banghead:

Being told to brush up on skills or find a new job that pays better than minimum wage is not mocking.

That's pretty revealing, your opinion of the average low wage worker. I guess your average fast food worker is deserving of mockery, but not some dead guys?

Sorry, the founders aren't my saints, nor do I worship at the altar of Americanism or capitalism. My favorite saints are actually Dorothy Day, Oscar Romero, and Cesar Chavez (none reached full canonization yet, but soon!) :D

It's funny that mockery one direction is bad...mockery on your end is apparently ok.

If you can't feed 'em don't breed 'em. That concept is just so alien these days.

Wow. I wish I knew how some people could see the future to ensure that they were guaranteed financial security (if not prosperity) down the road.

right,the Republicans were responsible for slavery ending, the democrats put blacks into a new slavery called government dependency. Republicans also pioneered the right for women to vote.

With that said, the Constitution IS the basis for our laws, and it is the end all. It may be amended, but that doesn't mean the basis of our country stops being a Constitutional Republic (yet anyway)

LOL.
Talk about missing the point.

Wow. I wish I knew how some people could see the future to ensure that they were guaranteed financial security (if not prosperity) down the road.

Because the government raised and supported babies (food stamps, SSI, WIC etc....) will take care of us when we get old? Yeah I don't aspire to end up in a nursing home with them "taking care of me".

My point was if every place an average miiddle class consumer buys from was forced to do this- the average consumer would get hit hard.

I do not know very many people that buy goods and services at Wal-Mart only.

But you are wrong. The average consumer would also see his/her salary rise to meet increased labor costs.

I am not wrong. Minimum wage has been raised and cost of goods has increased since our state employees have had a raise.

What makes me sad is that the media seems to have convinced small business owners that their interests are aligned with the interests of the large corporations.

Meanwhile the Walmarts and the Home Depots and the Applebees are crushing them out of existence.

SMH.

It's brilliant. Evil, but a quite brilliant tactic. And it's worked.

That kind of crap doesn't work in Europe where news is not about cats and airshows and education is universally excellent. (I still remember my aunt coming over here from Spain and watching the news and saying, "You know, I don't give a darn about Taiwan or Peru but I have to hear about it on our news. On your news, you hear about nothing but American stories.")

Over there, small business owners are educated and informed enough not to align with the very big businesses that want to stomp them out of existence or force them to shoulder all the taxes while they saunter off scott-free and sitting pretty.

And so, small business owners fight. And don't get snowed. And don't align with the enemy.

Charlie, sincerely, can you never have a straightforward conversation without the one liners and sarcasm?

Wow. This is an old argument. Yeah, the Republican Party pushed to end slavery but the Republican party of the 1860's had little to do with the Republican party today. And the Democrtic party of the era was dominated by Southern Dixiecrats who bear little resemblance to democrats of today.

Instead, it was liberals, for the most part, of either party who stopped slavery (both Republican and many northern Democrats, mostly). It was conservatives who wanted to keep it going.

And the socially conservative dixiecrats who made up a huge bloc of the Democratic party at the time (actually controlled it) and through some of the civil rights era, have long left the party and shifted to the Republican Party or have become independents.

But was has this to do with the minimum wage argument?

So I'm just curious, to those who feel that everyone should have a livable wage...

How do you feel about applying this to, say, realtors?

Typically they make nothing in the first year, although they work full time and pay for their signs, flyers, training, etc. When the housing market flops, they often make nothing for months or years at a time.

Should they also be guaranteed a livable wage?

In most cases, it should actually be pretty easy, imo. Things to consider: your level of education or other specialized skills. Whether you have your financial ducks in a row before you start having children, if any. Whether in good times you have had the ability to put away money to tide you over a rough period and, ultimately, enough to retire. Whether you live well within your means during times when you don't necessarily have to, etc., etc.

All things, imo, that make it pretty easy to predict whether you are likely to face hard times in the future if the rug is pulled out. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay