Father arrested for disorderly conduct at School Board meeting

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The thing is that it is not just about sex and teens. AS a teen I read books that had passages about teen sex.. This is graphic 50 shades of grey stuff and not appropriate for reading material in school. If a Parent wants to give permission for their kid to read it it is one thing but that is not what happened here.

That book is nowhere near 50 shades of Grey lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you hover over their shoulder every minute they're online, there is no avoiding it. IMO, hovering doesn't make for a healthy kid, or parent for that matter.

I think it's fine. It's one passage in a larger story. Has nothing to do with "giving up", but rather not being hysterical about teenagers reading about sex.

Edit - that's also not even taking account account the talk kids have amongst themselves. You might hover over their shoulder and watch every keystroke online, but are you also going to tag along and monitor every conversation they have with peers too?

If parents have a problem with it, they can go to the teacher and discuss it as adults. There is a bigger issue in all of this: The opinions of their peers do matter to teens when their parents make a public spectacle of themselves over an issue that could have easily been resolved between parent and teacher.

JMO

I can also guarantee you that at 14 years old, your kids have seen or heard or talked about this stuff or "worse" lol. My older two kids went to a very tiny parochial school headed by a fairly traditional priest and sisters up tru the 8th grade and even then I KNOW they knew about all this stuff.

I know all about firewalls, key trappers, DNS logs, my husband is a network guy. They will STILL find it unless you are literally sitting looking at every keystroke they make. And even then they will be chatting about it with their friends.

Better to have taught and been open with your kid, and have them be unsheltered and doesn't have to have mom watching him/her like a hawk than one who grows up in a bubble and is suddenly thrust into the world at 18 and has never read the word "erection".

I think for some people, it's hard for them to view their off spring as sexual beings.

If parents have a problem with it, they can go to the teacher and discuss it as adults. There is a bigger issue in all of this: The opinions of their peers do matter to teens when their parents make a public spectacle of themselves over an issue that could have easily been resolved between parent and teacher.

JMO

But if they handle it via a sensible note to the teacher then they and all these groups can't get into a tizzy and create media circuses about it!!!

I think for some people, it's hard for them to view their off spring as sexual beings.

14 year olds are human beings who think about sex?! HORRORS!

Personally I would be more worried about the 14 year old who has NOT thought about sex.

I guarantee 99.999 % of 14 year olds are thinking about it already, book or not lol!

Unless you hover over their shoulder every minute they're online, there is no avoiding it. IMO, hovering doesn't make for a healthy kid, or parent for that matter.

I think it's fine. It's one passage in a larger story. Has nothing to do with "giving up", but rather not being hysterical about teenagers reading about sex.

Edit - that's also not even taking account account the talk kids have amongst themselves. You might hover over their shoulder and watch every keystroke online, but are you also going to tag along and monitor every conversation they have with peers too?

So it's the hysterical parent who objects to kids being subjected to reading material of an explicit and erotic nature, and intended for adults....

The nonchalance you've expressed here is telling, plus, I think you're missing the point. Yes, teens see, read, and hear about sex on their own time, but do we want to have our schools distributing *advertiser censored* or erotica to minors? Is it in their best interests?

What if a grown man sent this material via the internet to your minor daughter? Would you still approve?

But if they handle it via a sensible note to the teacher then they and all these groups can't get into a tizzy and create media circuses about it!!!

The ironic thing, in my experience, the ones with over-protective hovering parents have the super wild kids that tend to get into dangerous situations and wild behaviors because they have no idea how to behave and interact in the real world once out in it unsupervised.

I'm way worried that people actually think this is *advertiser censored* or erotica. :ohoh:

It has nothing to do with your child (14) being a sexual being. It has everything to do with allowing an authority figure complete control over what your child is subjected to. You will sit down, shut up and do as they say... or you will be forcibly sat sown, shut up and do what they say.

Unbelievable to me.

The ironic thing, in my experience, the ones with over-protective hovering parents have the super wild kids that tend to get into dangerous situations and wild behaviors because they have no idea how to behave and interact in the real world once out in it unsupervised.

I was once talking to the mom of one of my kids friends. She told me she doesn't believe in educating her kids about sex or safe sex or anything, as she is of the opinion that it will just encourage them to have sex.

My kids have informed me that her son, a young man of 17, has been having sex with his girlfriend in his basement since freshman year of highschool.

Later the same mom also bemoaned to me how she had to take same son to a "pastor" for counselling, as she kept catching him looking at *advertiser censored* online. :lol:

THATS how the sheltered approach turns out lol.

So it's the hysterical parent who objects to kids being subjected to reading material of an explicit and erotic nature, and intended for adults....

The nonchalance you've expressed here is telling, plus, I think you're missing the point. Yes, teens see, read, and hear about sex on their own time, but do we want to have our schools distributing *advertiser censored* or erotica to minors? Is it in their best interests?

What if a grown man sent this material via the internet to your minor daughter? Would you still approve?

My child would trust me enough to come to me about some creepy adult guy contacting her on the internet. I would talk to mine constantly and encourage open lines of communication.

JMO

A public spectacle?? It was a SCHOOL BOARD MEETING.

Exactly the place where this should be discussed.

It has nothing to do with your child (14) being a sexual being. It has everything to do with allowing an authority figure complete control over what your child is subjected to. You will sit down, shut up and do as they say... or you will be forcibly sat sown, shut up and do what they say.

Unbelievable to me.

A simply note informing the teacher your child won't be reading that book is sufficient.
He is the parent and he should have handled it like one. Privately and discreetly. IMO

Are we really comparing reading a work of fiction to a pedophile creeping on a minor? :facepalm:

Unbelievable to me.

Your child can't even get up and go to the bathroom without permission in high school....But that's okay??

This is highschool. It's supposed to help prepare them for the real world and adulthood.

Are you upset because you want the control over your kids as opposed to the school ?
How about having a conversation with your child about the book after you've both read it? That seems like an actual educational opportunity to share with your child. One where you can share your thoughts and values and listen to your child's thoughts. Would go a long way toward opening those lines of communications. IMO

Are we really comparing reading a work of fiction to a pedophile creeping on a minor? :facepalm:

I think I fell down some imaginary slippery slope..

A public spectacle?? It was a SCHOOL BOARD MEETING.

Exactly the place where this should be discussed.

School board meetings are not the place to discuss an individual child.

not to even mention that movies with sexually graphic content get R ratings, while horribly violent movies filled with guns and blood and gore and people treating others badly (to say it mildly) get by with PG or PG14 ratings. Would this father have had an issue with his child reading Lord of the Flies, for example? Why is sex "bad" but violence glorified? No need to reply - I am just venting here too. And I concur wholeheartedly and then some that this is hardly "literature".

I think I fell down some imaginary slippery slope..

That's the problem with slippery slopes, you never know where one is gonna turn up!

Hell, it's been ten years here in Mass that we've had gay marriage, and I STILL haven't come across the slippery slope to polygamy and child brides that we were warned about!! :help: :scared:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back