Fire Update Information

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
11 of 18 in burn unit undocumented

UCSD cases put focus on who pays for care

The fact that 11 of the 18 wildfire victims lying in UCSD Medical Center's burn unit are illegal immigrants with no apparent health coverage highlights the daunting financial challenge hospitals face in providing long-term, intensive care for all those who need it.

“These are the most expensive kinds of cases, but we don't look at these patients and say, oh, because they aren't legal residents, we'll stop providing care or stop changing their bandages,” said Dr. Thomas McAfee, UCSD's physician-in-chief. “It's part of our ethic to continue to provide this care no matter what.”

According to the Mexican Consulate in San Diego, the burn victims are from central and southern Mexico, and include one woman. Four are in critical condition. All were rescued north of Tecate last week, said consulate spokesman Alberto Lozano, and it is suspected they had crossed the border illegally before coming face to face with the Harris fire.

Four other people, two men and two women, were found dead Thursday in a ravine off state Route 94. Their badly burned bodies remain unidentified, although authorities suspect they crossed illegally before they died. Those in critical condition may include a married couple from Guerrero, according to the consulate. The others are a 20-year-old man from Guerrero and a man from Chiapas. With some facing a long rehabilitation, hospital officials said they realize many U.S. taxpayers don't believe UCSD should provide such expensive hospital care to illegal immigrants. But, by law, that care must be provided “to anyone who comes regardless of their ability to pay.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20071031/news_1n31burn.html
This could be a $10 million dollar loss for the UCSD Medical Center. The government only reimburses about 10% of an illegal's bill. The hospital has to try and get it back from us.

Now ,how is that going to be handled? Tough one.,IMO. I don't think you can criminally charge this kid,as I'm sure his intent wasn't to start a fire.I'm sure what has happened will effect him for the rest of his life.I would make him do some sort of community service ,I guess. It really depends on how old he is. I feel bad for everyone.

My understanding of arson in California is that if a flame was intentionally started, it is arson regardless of whether the person intended to burn down structures, etc. The Cedar fire was considered arson although it was started by a lost hunter.

I agree that it will depend on his age, and also maybe on whether his parents were being irresponsible by allowing access to the matches.

My understanding of arson in California is that if a flame was intentionally started, it is arson regardless of whether the person intended to burn down structures, etc. The Cedar fire was considered arson although it was started by a lost hunter.

I agree that it will depend on his age, and also maybe on whether his parents were being irresponsible by allowing access to the matches.[/QUOTE

As a mother of 3 boys,I could see any one of them getting a hold of matches that we keep to light our fireplace,and trying to light something. I drilled my kids about fire safety as I had a cousin who was severely burned from lighting matches(she always shows little kids her scarring to scare them). Regardless,out of 3,two of them love to light the candles in the house,if we light a fire they want to help, they are always poking at it,etc..
I would not want to be the prosecutor who has to decide if charges should be filed. As I said,its a tough call.

California calls new fire alert as winds forecast

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - California's weary firefighters were placed on a new fire alert on Wednesday after weather forecasters warned of hot dry winds this weekend similar to those that sparked 22 deadly blazes last week.

With 3,000 people still out of their homes as firefighters struggled to contain the last four stubborn fires in southern California, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger ordered personnel and aircraft to deploy to areas facing high fire risk from the forecast Santa Ana winds. "We're not out of the danger zone yet," Schwarzenegger told reporters on Wednesday. "We still have four fires.. and we're watching the weather very closely.

"This plan helps ensure that resources are strategically placed and standing ready, prepared for whatever the weekend will bring," he said.

Strong winds combined with triple digit temperatures and parched brush after a record drought were largely blamed for triggering or spreading blazes from Santa Barbara to the Mexican border last week that destroyed 2,300 buildings, caused 12 deaths and drove some 500,000 people from their homes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071031/us_nm/california_wildfires_dc

On the evening news tonight. It said that the boy that started the fire, was 10 years old. How horrible for this family! They did say that the parents could be charged.

That is tragic lp; I wish we knew more about the circumstances.

I can't even imagine, it would just be devastating. It just said that the boy confessed, that he was playing with matches and it started the fire. :(

I feel very sorry for the family. Isn't the Santa Clarita fire the one that burned Malibu? If so, it was a very expensive fire. Just the Malibu castle alone was valued at $17 million.

Article today in Seattle Post intelligencer says the California Fires are exacerbating Global Warming--8.7 million tons of Carbon Dioxide were released into the atmosphere during the Oct 19th to 26th fires--That's more Carbon Dioxide than the state of Vermont releases in a whole year--Colorado researchers have previously shown that wildfires do indeed make Global Warming worse

Santiago (Orange County): 28,445 acres at 90 percent contained. This fire is 12 miles east of Santa Ana. The fire continues to threaten structures near Silverado. Mandatory evacuations remain in order for the canyon areas of Santiago Canyon Road between Silverado Canyon Road and Live Oak Canyon Road. This includes the Santiago Estates and Jackson Ranch Road.
Information: Call (714) 573-6200 or visit the web site.

Poomacha (Monte Vista Unit, Cal Fire): 50,156 acres at 85 percent contained. This fire is seven miles east of Pauma Valley. Mt. Palomar and Crosley Homestead remain threatened.
Information: Call (760) 751-7600 or visit the web site.

This is a great website for fire informaation

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/1016/

Santiago Wildland Fire Incident Information

Santiago Fire Update, November 1 Morning
Acres: 28,400 Acres Percent Containment: 90% Line to Build: 0 miles Estimated Containment: 11/04/07 Equipment: Hand Crews: 35 Dozers: 17 Engines: 140 .... more

Portable Retardant Base
Credit: Whitney's Southwest Area IMT

Summary
Current Situation:
Fire activity was calm on Wednesday with occasional flare ups that fire fighters responded to. The Silverado Canyon area remains a primary concern due to the steep topography and possibility of rolling debris. As a result, the fire continues to threaten structures on private property within the Silverado area. Yesterday's attempt to burn out the island of unburned vegetation on the far eastern side of the fire yesterday met with limited success.

The Arson Investigation Team has located the white Ford pick-up truck of interest. The driver has been interviewed and is not considered a suspect. No further tips regarding this vehicle of interest are needed.

Location: Originated at Santiago Canyon and Silverado Canyon (Thomas Brothers page 832 A2).

Mandatory evacuations: A mandatory evacuation remains in place for Silverado Canyon.

Evacuation centers: El Modena High School.

Road Closures: Silverado Canyon Road remains closed at Sanitago Canyon.

Basic Information
Incident Type Wildland Fire
Cause Human
Date of Origin 10/21/2007 at 1755 hrs.
Location Santiago Canyon, Silverado Canyon, Irvine, CA.
Incident Commander Whitney, Witesman, Otero

Current Situation
Total Personnel 1,357
Size 28,400 acres
Percent Contained 90%
Estimated Containment Date 11/04/2007 at hrs.
Fuels Involved Annual Grasses and Brush. Much of the fuel component is in the 100 year old age class.

Fire Behavior Fire activity was limited to burning operations

Significant Events Heli-torch ignition operations are complete near Modjeska Peak. A high resolution infrared assessment will be flown tonight todetermine remaining heat sources.

Outlook
Planned Actions Hold containment lines.
Projected Movement 12- 24 hours - Wind event is expected.
Growth Potential Medium
Terrain Difficulty High
Remarks Not available

Weather
Current Wind Conditions 3-5 mph S
Current Temperature 77 degrees
Current Humidity 28 %

Poomacha Wildland Fire Incident Information

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/1009/

UPDATED 36 MIN. AGO

Poomacha Fire Map 10/26/07

view pictures || view maps

Summary

This fire started October 23 as a structure fire on the Lajolla Indian Reservation. It has burned 50,156 acres and is 85 percent contained. Full containment is expected November 3. The Poomacha Fire has joined with the Witch Fire to the south. 143 homes, 1 commercial property and 77 outbuildings have been destroyed. Mt. Palomar and Crosley Homestead remain threatened.

This fire has resulted in 13 firefighter injuries. 2,096 firefighters are currently assigned to this incident under unified command with CAL FIRE and the Cleveland National Forest. The estimated cost of this fire to date is $12.8 million. Poomacha Fire Information Line (760) 751-7600.

Residents can get the latest information about the status of the fires by visiting the County of San Diego's Emergency Web site at www.sdcountyemergency.com. Residents should call 2-1-1 for all non-emergency calls related to this fire. Residents may also call the City of San Diego Community Access Phone at 619-570-1070 for additional fire information.

Cal Fire Web Site

Basic Information
Incident Type Wildland Fire
Cause Under Investigation
Date of Origin 10/23/2007 at 0313 hrs.
Location Highway 76, Pauma Valley
Incident Commander Ault / Joseph

Current Situation
Total Personnel 2,096
Size 50,158 acres
Percent Contained 85%
Estimated Containment Date 11/03/2007 at hrs.
Fuels Involved Chaparral, Grass, Brush, Timber

Fire Behavior Two pockets within the interior of the burn in the north area actively burned requiring air support. The firing operation in Div N went slow this morning but fire behavior increased this afternoon, burning about 2 acres.

Significant Events Firing operations were attempted this morning and are now complete. Helicopter drops were needed for two interior pockets actively burning. Mop up and patrol continued within all secured areas.

Outlook
Planned Actions Construct and improve handline in the north area of the fire. Mop up and patrol all other secured areas of the fire.

Growth Potential Low

Terrain Difficulty Extreme

Remarks CAL FIRE Incident Command Team #4(Ault) is in Unified Command with the Cleveland National Forest (Joseph). Control strategies include minimizing the fire spread and impacts to the Agua Tibia Wilderness. Current burned acres by landowner include: BLM (3102), CA. Dept. Fish and Game (472) CA State Parks (1226) USFS (5506) Unclassified (private,other)(20068), Rincon Res. (3585),San Pasqual Res. (7) Pauma-Yuima Res (5360), Pala Res.(2118) La Jolla Res (8679). In addition to the structures destroyed, there were 363 vehicles destroyed. A Red Flag Warning is in effect for the period 11/2/07 to 11/4/07. The incident is planned to transition to a Type II team on 11/5/07.

Weather
Current Wind Conditions 2-7 mph NW
Current Temperature 65 degrees
Current Humidity 32 %

Buzz just want you to know I appreciate all your fire info. I am reading it.

Fire Safety Program Saves Five San Diego Communities

Experts say comprehensive fire-protection plans save homes and lives.

One bit of good news that came out of last week's fires in Southern California is that fire officials determined that at least five master planned communities in San Diego County's Rancho Santa Fe area survived because builders used a fire-protection program known as shelter-in-place.
"Shelter-in-place worked brilliantly during this last fire," said Mick Pattinson, CEO of home builder Barratt American.
"Not a single home was lost," he said, adding that his company plans to use the shelter-in-place concept for its next project, a 1,380-unit master planned community in Santee, Calif.

http://www.builderonline.com/industry-news.asp?sectionID=26&articleID=601429

According to the news on television, everyone is SD County has been released from fire evacuation orders. CAL-Fire is keeping 50 fire engines, 2 helicopters and one drop plane in the area in case of flare-ups from the expected Santa Anas due to blow into the county tomorrow afternoon.

IRS warns of fake e-mail claiming to help wildfire victims

E-mail claims to be from the tax agency, asks for donations for wildfire victims

Donation link takes people to a fake site that asks for their account numbers

The scammers can then launch a number of identity theft ploys

Spokeswoman: The IRS as a rule does not send e-mail

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A new e-mail scam is using last week's wildfires in California to prey on people with generous hearts.

The IRS calls the scam an "opportunistic attempt to profit at the expense of the victims" of the wildfires.

The Internal Revenue Service is warning Americans about an e-mail hoax that claims to be from the tax agency and asks for donations for wildfire victims. Anyone who clicks on the donation link is taken to a fake Web site that asks for the person's bank account numbers.

Instead of using the numbers for charity, the scammers can launch a number of identity theft ploys. "This is very reprehensible," IRS spokeswoman Michelle Lamishaw said Friday. "It's an opportunistic attempt to profit at the expense of the victims of these wildfires as well as the generosity of people who would like to help them."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/02/wildfires.email/index.html?eref=ib_topstories

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teqtoshi
Back