FL- 12 Story Condo Partial Building Collapse, many still unaccounted for, Miami, 24 June 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One person, who I'm assuming is alive and a major person for information that we have not heard from... is the "front desk person" . He's the one who would have had funneled calls for issues such as electricity out, heard the original sounds near him on bottom floor, etc. AFAIK, he has never spoken to media, but referred to by others.
Is everyone assuming the security guard is a man? Could the person at the front desk be female? Was there more than 1 security guard? What time was the shift change? Did the early evening shift leave a note or make a report on lighting problem ?

Is everyone assuming the security guard is a man? Could the person at the front desk be female? Was there more than 1 security guard? What time was the shift change? Did the early evening shift leave a note or make a report on lighting problem ?

There were many that did not note gender, but this one and a few others did.

"“I said it's not construction, it's an earthquake, and while I was running, I told the security guy [to] call the police, pull the alarm so people will be aware about this,” Sara Nir said."

Mother and daughter said they saw garage collapse before running from Surfside condo

I've never seen any notation of when the shift change would be. As the building fell at ~1:30 am... assumed 9:30 pm or 10:30 pm would be that shift... but whadda I know about such. I just doubt a middle of the night e.g. 12 midnight, shift change.

One person, who I'm assuming is alive and a major person for information that we have not heard from... is the "front desk person" . He's the one who would have had funneled calls for issues such as electricity out, heard the original sounds near him on bottom floor, etc. AFAIK, he has never spoken to media, but referred to by others.

BTW, does anyone have at their fingertips the floorplan to cut/paste of the floor that the front desk person was at, where the folks went "next door" to tell him and discuss the noises etc? (Cannot at this moment recall the name of the family next door on that floor that got out safely)

My spreadsheet of Locations and deceased.

Floor by Floor, the Missing People and Lost Lives Near Miami is a floor plan with the lower level.

I've edited to the spreadsheet a picture of the 1st floor.

Last edited:

BTW, does anyone have at their fingertips the floorplan to cut/paste of the floor that the front desk person was at, where the folks went "next door" to tell him and discuss the noises etc? (Cannot at this moment recall the name of the family next door on that floor that got out safely)

https://www.townofsurfsidefl.gov/do...0-year-re-certification.pdf?sfvrsn=9e2a1194_2

Attachments

• AC4B4C00-6165-43C9-942D-261A68F8CDCD.jpeg
    AC4B4C00-6165-43C9-942D-261A68F8CDCD.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 580
DIXIE :) I totally agree on the shear wall being so strong it kept the Collins side of building from collapsing. I have listened to the words of Mayor Levine-Cava when she said, "We will get to the bottom of this." Ironically, the answer to this tragedy is at the bottom of this building, IMO.
This is the from a man who left the building and why I am wondering if an "electrical problem" was a result or a catalyst. He reports lights not working in his unit at 10:30PM Wednesday.... almost 3 hours before the collapse. He was in unit #508. It would be interesting to know if anyone in the same area called up to the front desk and reported their power was out, too? Do any videos prior to collapse show flickering lights or an unusual amount of units with lights going out around 10PM on Wednesday night. ( And, investigators are asking anyone with videos & pics prior to the collapse to send it to them. Many had probably already shut off lights and gone to bed, and wouldn't have noticed.)
"A stroke of dumb luck might well have saved Eric Zion’s life. He lives in the Champlain Towers South building and he said he got back from a trip at about 10:30pm Wednesday night and, for some reason, the lights were shut off in his apartment. He doesn't know why his power was out but it pushed him to make a decision that he and his wife were going to rent a hotel room in the neighborhood just for the night. They planned to figure out the power situation in the morning."
(scroll to the bottom 1/3rd of article... to read his explanations)
'I Felt The Entire Room Shake.' Partial Building Collapse In Surfside Leaves One Dead, Many Injured

<modsnip> I would love to know:
1. What time the hotel says they checked in
2. Why he didn’t just leave his car at the hotel? How did he plan to get his whole family home on a scooter?
3. Is there any camera footage showing what time he actually entered the parking garage? (It can’t be when he said because the garage roof had already failed.)

Last edited by a moderator:

"“I said it's not construction, it's an earthquake, and while I was running, I told the security guy [to] call the police, pull the alarm so people will be aware about this,” Sara Nir said."

Mother and daughter said they saw garage collapse before running from Surfside condo

I've never seen any notation of when the shift change would be. As the building fell at ~1:30 am... assumed 9:30 pm or 10:30 pm would be that shift... but whadda I know about such. I just doubt a middle of the night e.g. 12 midnight, shift change.
Au contraire DIXIE1035, Your posts are unique and full of fascinating information! You make this forum interesting. I just ask a lot of questions... (maybe too many?)
I'm thinking the shift change was around 10PM. Let's just throw that out to the board and maybe someone will oblige us with the answers. (of course I am now getting a thousand pop ups and job offers from security companies who think I am looking for a night shift position in Florida)

Last edited:

@sds71 Tremendous to revisit this now after we now know so very much! Tells us where the potential collapse was NOT as must NOT have been the supports that backed up to the edge of the building where the mgmt office/sec guard was or the person living next door... etc.

ac4b4c00-6165-43c9-942d-261a68f8cdcd-jpeg.304431

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/ac4b4c00-6165-43c9-942d-261a68f8cdcd-jpeg.304431/

Thanks for reposting this again to better glean. Also, shows where the generator room was etc. on that floor.

ETA: I wonder if they did a tower dump to see any calls going out from that location as an investigative tool. Guess not..?? More of a criminal inquiry type thing LE would do and don't think they have such LE investigative / subpeona stuff?

Last edited:
Power is fed to the apartments via conduits from an electrical room, probably near the elevators.
It is fed to the electrical rooms on each floor via "risers" from the master power room in the basement.
If known, the power outages could point to an early point of collapse, but maybe not the cause of it.

They got out just before the entire building collapsed- they do provide good information that will help the experts figure out exactly how the building collapsed.

@sds71
ETA: I wonder if they did a tower dump to see any calls going out from that location as an investigative tool. Guess not..?? More of a criminal inquiry type thing LE would do and don't think they have such LE investigative / subpeona stuff?

If what I remember I know that Cassondra Stratton was on the phone with her husband while on the balcony of Unit 412 at the time of the collapse. He reported that she saw "Cassondra told him she saw a sinkhole where the pool out her window used to be. Then, the line went dead."
Missing Florida woman was on phone with husband as building came crumbling down

We should be getting some news updates soon. They were broadcasting the news update around an hour ago.

I'm very pleased ( for families most highly ) that they have been doing releases twice a day, same bat time, same bat place.. for the updates. (vs. willy nilly time releases).
Surfside condo collapse: Death toll rises to 94

"Search crews scouring the rubble of the Champlain Towers South condo building have recovered four more victims of last month’s deadly partial building collapse, raising the death toll to 94, Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said Monday.....

Of those so far recovered, the mayor said 83 have been identified and 80 next-of-kin notifications have been made.....

As of Monday, officials said 222 people have been accounted for, while 22 others remain “potentially unaccounted for.” "

Last edited:
<modsnip> I would love to know:
1. What time the hotel says they checked in
2. Why he didn’t just leave his car at the hotel? How did he plan to get his whole family home on a scooter?
3. Is there any camera footage showing what time he actually entered the parking garage? (It can’t be when he said because the garage roof had already failed.)
BBM. According to the article, he was in the parking garage less than an hour before the building collapse (at about 12:30am) and then in the apartment for 20-30 minutes. The collapse started after 1:15am with the pool deck caving in. The building itself fell between 1:24 and 1:25am (according to emergency services).

BBM. According to the article, he was in the parking garage less than an hour before the building collapse (at about 12:30am) and then in the apartment for 20-30 minutes. The collapse started after 1:15am with the pool deck caving in. The building itself fell between 1:24 and 1:25am (according to emergency services).

Yeppers, there were 5 families/condos iirc in total that I've heard stories of angels on their shoulders. Just one quick decision is later life or death decision.

I find myself vacillating between 100% investigative WS mode, and 100% empathy mode for families without concern of the why and protecting the survivors of having to confront any questions, adding to their PTSD... if that makes sense. The only way my mind can handle this.

Makes one ponder, does it not.

Blessings to all affected and their loved ones and those far away from them that came together to help, and ergo back into the circle of being affected and blessings.

MOO

Yeppers, there were 5 families/condos iirc in total that I've heard stories of angels on their shoulders. Just one quick decision is later life or death decision.

I find myself vacillating between 100% investigative WS mode, and 100% empathy mode for families without concern of the why and protecting the survivors of having to confront any questions, adding to their PTSD... if that makes sense. The only way my mind can handle this.

Blessings to all affected and their loved ones and those far away from them that came together to help, and ergo back into the circle of being affected and blessings.

MOO
That particular resident would have survived if he stayed home that night, because his apartment (#508) was in the part of the building that was still standing after the collapse.

MOO

Well said. For me, I'm 100% in empathy mode. There are certainly questions, but none of the residents deliberately incited this collapse. Decisions made in the moments or hours prior to the collapse are not for me to judge. Maybe the guy who went to the hotel and came home for his scooter fully intended to to scoot back the next day to get his car and retrieve his family from the hotel. I don't know and all I care about is the tragedy for the dead, their loved ones, and the survivors.

In every sudden tragedy there are miniscule decisions made prior that turn out to be the difference between life and death. On 9/11 I remember there was a hard-charging CEO who decided to take his child for the first day of kindergarten and therefore was not in the WTC when hundreds of his co-workers died, or the guy who stopped off at an optical place first and so wasn't at his desk. Conversely there were many people who didn't work at the WTC but were there that moment for one reason or another, only to perish.

Even the residents who fought the assessments, I can't find it in me to blame them now. They didn't suspect they were trading their lives.

IMO the blame lies solely on those who should have built it correctly or maintained it correctly.

Well said. For me, I'm 100% in empathy mode. There are certainly questions, but none of the residents deliberately incited this collapse. Decisions made in the moments or hours prior to the collapse are not for me to judge. Maybe the guy who went to the hotel and came home for his scooter fully intended to to scoot back the next day to get his car and retrieve his family from the hotel. I don't know and all I care about is the tragedy for the dead, their loved ones, and the survivors.

In every sudden tragedy there are miniscule decisions made prior that turn out to be the difference between life and death. On 9/11 I remember there was a hard-charging CEO who decided to take his child for the first day of kindergarten and therefore was not in the WTC when hundreds of his co-workers died, or the guy who stopped off at an optical place first and so wasn't at his desk. Conversely there were many people who didn't work at the WTC but were there that moment for one reason or another, only to perish.

Even the residents who fought the assessments, I can't find it in me to blame them now. They didn't suspect they were trading their lives.

IMO the blame lies solely on those who should have built it correctly or maintained it correctly.

I absolutely love your eloquent words. I really fear these poor people will be blamed for their own demise. I am sure they were never told that the building was in a dire state and was life-threatening condition. I am sure all of us that live in condos know repairs and money are always an issue--we are always asked for money and sometimes we just say no---

I absolutely love your eloquent words. I really fear these poor people will be blamed for their own demise. I am sure they were never told that the building was in a dire state and was life-threatening condition. I am sure all of us that live in condos know repairs and money are always an issue--we are always asked for money and sometimes we just say no---
It would be like blaming someone who died in a car crash because they voted against a tax increase to fund infrastructure improvement.

Had the residents known the true condition of the building it might have been different but they were unaware.

Attachments

• 43E19D3B-E2C3-439B-8058-62FB52C44641.jpeg
    43E19D3B-E2C3-439B-8058-62FB52C44641.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors