FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #2 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Sis and BIL moved from Toronto to Deltona Fla. a number of years ago with their 4 kids. My Nephew decided he would join in for this big brawl that was suppose to happen. Wanted to be cool and fit in his new Public school. He was told to bring a weapon. So what's a Canadian kid suppose to do? He brought a butter knife. LE caught wind and arrived before anything happened. Butter knife was still a weapon so he was charged along with the others. It was a tough but good lesson for him.

hatfield, they wanted to provide you the wings to fly. you know that. you're one of the posters i most respect.

i have no idea who your parents are but trust me they never wanted you 'gone'.

folks, read the articles. no one wanted this kid.

“He would sit on the curb by himself,” she said. “He was isolated. Nobody wanted to be around him.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article200264304.html

your own mother asks someone to take you in, no one sits next to you in lunch, schools expel you...yes, mutilating animals and dreaming of guns should've been red flags but...no one cared.

i hope he gets the death penalty. because spending the rest of his life in solitary (which he will if the DP is denied) is more hell in his mind than the hell he inflicted in 17 families.

JMO...

Thanks for sharing the Canada school experience Bravo. Sounds like there could be some positive differences there that may help.

I like the idea of mentors given to students entering a certain school year. Back when I went to school in NY it was pretty much get thrown in the fire as I remember being terrified and not having anyone to turn to.

I am sure there are differences even here amongst the states and it would be a good action plan to identify best practices from certain states and Canada and maybe try to incorporate them into all schools.

OT

Yea

we were just thrown in

will never forget

ugh lucky me

had older sister

she had Mrs Baker who was a witch!

Back in those days (they used things like paper pens and scotch tape! and put the roster on the door

well when i got to the door I saw my name and outloud I said Ugh I got Baker .

Well Baker was standing behind me -- hears the comment and said yes you do take your seat

we did not havea pleasant a year!!

another one was Mrs Van Anroy

another witch when my sister had her her legs worked! But in my sisters class she lost her marbles one day and started shaking a kid -- and his legs hit hers

two years later when i had her she needed a cane because of getting her shin broken by shaking the kid so badly

ahhh memories !

I do remember a bunch of awesome ones as well

i had nose bleeds all the time. I would have to have the nose cauterized every couple of months

it started bleeding

again an image I just have not forgotten !

Mrs Liberwitch (not being funny!) had her
back to class and was writing on board. For some reason I clearly reember her flabby arms bouncing all around as she was writing on the board !

I tried to tell i needed to go to the bathroom but she would not let me . They were used to be being somewhat of an interrupter

well guys i was bleeding

when she turned around she FREAKED out
Go go go to the bathroom \

at some level it was fun well you said to sit her e I thought - glad I freaked you out !!

Ok, so far we have at least 2 students that talked to him that day. So were there more? Do we know if he was targeting someone in particular yet? Sure sounds like it. Why warn one student before even starting the shooting to leave?

I get the feeling he was targeting someone, as well. That's just my opinion based on the fact that he seemed to focus on those three classrooms right next to each other. I've wondered if he knew his intended target/s was/were inside a classroom in that general area, but he didn't know the specific room number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh CARIIS thanks for the much needed :laughing:

Tricia be still my heart! I thought I was going to get in trouble if I said the R word [emoji4]. Here is the link, he seems like a very sweet and mature kid.

If we are allowed to discuss - and please modsnip if we’re not- he said he alarm didn’t go off until after NC started shooting. That was interesting to me. I’m not sure if that’s already been discussed since it’s been a busy couple days for me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/7xzpac/im_sid_fischer_a_student_who_was_in_the_third/

ETA I also wish they didn’t go into the “orange dot” corner. If they went to the corner to the right of that, I wonder if it would have been different. It seems like they were front and center, directly in harms way.
Thank you for posting the link and thank you Tricia for allowing it. Sid shares his story of what happened like no tv interview can do.

There have been some great posts today and I have been reading some of them. It has been rightly said that this problem we have in the US is going to take multiple steps to begin to make a difference.

ALL steps should be pursued IMO and just like with stopping terrorism we have to tackle it on all fronts and get away from thinking there is ever going to be a way to stop every single one. Any dent we can make to reduce frequency is a WIN.

Back to this post about Canada schools I think that is something that should be looked at. Was wondering if there is more structure or something in the schools in Canada? Like do they require a common dress to go to school there which helps to prevent certain issues as some kids wear things better than other kids and other things like that.

Wondering if we have anybody that has went to both Canada schools and US schools that may know of things done there that seem beneficial and maybe can be adopted as a policy in US schools.

Its something worth looking at IMO.

Its not that we have never had school shootings in Canada, we have, there is only 1 that I know of that would be considered a mass/massacre shooting.
This occurred in Montreal, Quebec in Dec 1989 at Ecole Polytechnique, an engineering school affiliated with the University of Montreal.
Marc Lepine was armed with a semi-automatic rifle and hunting rifle killed 14 women and injuring 10 other women and 4 men before killing himself. He claimed he was fighting feminism.

Some schools in my district do require a dress code, mostly the catholic and private schools.
Catholic schools in Ontario are funded by the gov't like Public schools are. In my city alone we have 4 school boards English Public and English Catholic and French Public and Catholic along with numerous private schools.
We do hear about the occasional school brawl, drug related issues but unfortunately there are times when action taken is after deaths have occurred among teenagers.
Groups have even set up safe injection sites for drug users to help save lives...at times it has been a controversial topic.

We are not strangers to the Mental Health issue.
Mental Health discussion(s) and getting help is promoted.
Jan 31, 2018 was our annual national Bell Let's Talk Day to raise funds for mental health and there motto is Get Engaged and Lets Help End the Stigma around Mental Health

OMG

Almost had a fatal heart attack

Heard what sounded like shooting, look out the window and someone in the next block over thought it was genius to explode a bunch of fireworks.

(censored)

hatfield, they wanted to provide you the wings to fly. you know that. you're one of the posters i most respect.

“He would sit on the curb by himself,” she said. “He was isolated. Nobody wanted to be around him.”

your own mother asks someone to take you in, no one sits next to you in lunch, schools expel you...yes, mutilating animals and dreaming of guns should've been red flags but...no one cared.

i hope he gets the death penalty. because spending the rest of his life in solitary (which he will if the DP is denied) is more hell in his mind than the hell he inflicted in 17 families.

JMO...

He is offering a guilty to avoid the death penalty[emoji35]

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...rida-school-shooting-main-20180215-story.html

I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but I know that my daughter's school is a kindergarten-grade 8 school, very, very rural...they have lockdown drills regularly. The school is locked all day and there is a buzzer system to get in.

I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but I know that my daughter's school is a kindergarten-grade 8 school, very, very rural...they have lockdown drills regularly. The school is locked all day and there is a buzzer system to get in.

Not a bad idea at that - a buzzer system to get in.

Maybe that's what we need in the USA...

Both of my kids’ public schools have locked doors and you have to be buzzed in. In Ohio.

Here in my local community in Ontario, our schools and government buildings all have our flags at half mass. They will remain so until Tuesday. (We have a holiday on Monday. -Go figure, Family day). I know it’s meaningless to those hurting but we do care. We are so sad.

The autism label being used by the MSM is disturbing to me to say the very least. The MSM is doing a disservice to itself and to many people with autism who would never commit such an act of violence as this one.

Respectfully SBM and BBM....

My 16 year old grand son has HF Autism. Yes, he has his issues, but he is incredibly smart, empathetic, and a joy to his family. School has been tough (bullies), and his above average height throughout has brought more ridicule (6'4" by 6th grade).

I would say I was offended, but nowadays, that's so cliche. No, I can't understand the ignorance of people who have a public platform. I saw this happen with Sandy Hook, had a dear friend, who had 2 wonderful children with Autism, receive threatening phone calls, and a petition to get her children thrown out of school, the old "Mob Mentality".

Pigeon holing an entire group of people because of the wrongs committed by one or two is unacceptable and pathetic. It's time to get educated. It's time to acknowledge words hurt, and sometimes kill.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 1 in 68 children in the U.S. have autism. The prevalence is 1 in 42 for boys and 1 in 189 for girls. These rates yield a gender ratio of about five boys for every girl.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-real-reasons-autism-rates-are-up-in-the-u-s/

That a whole lot of humans to be ostracized.

Same here.
My kids HS has drills as well.
In 2014 their HS went into lockdown, as did almost all buildings and schools downtown and some surrounding neighborhoods, due to a terror shooting downtown at the War Memorial Cenotaph and ended with the suspect being shot on Parliament Hill

I’m in VA and there were buzzer systems at out elementary and middle schools before I pulled my kids to homeschool several years ago. At the elementary school they’d come manually unlock the door and the middle was done electronically. My high school (graduated in ‘98) had a 6-8’ fence around the entrance and parking lot, guard station and armed Leo’s for security. I remember a few fights (no weapons besides fists) in my years there but not the weekly fights that are being reported there now.

My child and several other students were threatened by a student with a switchblade in hand and claiming to have worse and the police officer permanently assigned to the school did not report it to any of the parents until we called to ask because our kids came home terrified. Leo’s claimed privacy of the student who was threatening and carrying the weapon, refused to say a name and he was suspended for 5 days per the kids at the school. The buzzer system didn’t help there.

Many schools already have buzzer systems.

Again, vote in favor of budgets everyone. Also, rally for safety grants for your district.

ETA - when I was in high school (2000-2004) we had lockdown drills. Its shocking that all schools aren’t doing these things.

That was a great list. I wanted to focus on this one because ironically I was posting in another thread how I find it sad how we push our kids out of our homes when they get old enough to get a job. In some other cultures it is common to have 3 generations of a family all under one roof and to me it makes sense in a lot of ways.

Having kids around to take care of the elderly when they get very old was what we were talking about in another thread and that is a huge advantage to keeping kids in a family.
Being able to pool finances together and share in costs is another huge advantage.

It may not work for all families and the home would have to be large enough but I do see that as something I would be willing to entertain under the right conditions.

When I got pressured to leave my parents home I wondered if they really wanted me gone or were they doing that just because society norms are that way here. As they got elderly they probably wished they could have had me around.

Trust me -- if we did that my stepmo would have killed me long ago ha !

JMO...

He's mentally ill. He won't get the DP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members