FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #2 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m in VA and there were buzzer systems at out elementary and middle schools before I pulled my kids to homeschool several years ago. At the elementary school they’d come manually unlock the door and the middle was done electronically. My high school (graduated in ‘98) had a 6-8’ fence around the entrance and parking lot, guard station and armed Leo’s for security. I remember a few fights (no weapons besides fists) in my years there but not the weekly fights that are being reported there now.

My child and several other students were threatened by a student with a switchblade in hand and claiming to have worse and the police officer permanently assigned to the school did not report it to any of the parents until we called to ask because our kids came home terrified. Leo’s claimed privacy of the student who was threatening and carrying the weapon, refused to say a name and he was suspended for 5 days per the kids at the school. The buzzer system didn’t help there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no magic solution. I’m sorry your child was threatened and that a buzzer system didn’t prevent them from being threatened. I am happy though that your child wasn’t harmed.

That being said, ANY added layers of safety help. Just bc it didn’t help in one situation where violence didn’t even break out, doesn’t mean it couldn’t help in other vital situations. It seems silly to say that buzzers wouldn’t be helpful because they weren’t helpful in your personal situation. A buzzer system, safety film, security cameras, etc could be the difference between life or death.

Many schools already have buzzer systems.

Again, vote in favor of budgets everyone. Also, rally for safety grants for your district.

ETA - when I was in high school (2000-2004) we had lockdown drills. Its shocking that all schools aren’t doing these things.
Austin ISD. Locked doors, with one accesible door at office. 2 lockdown drills per year.

I just read the Reddit account by the young man that was in one of the classrooms. It will break your heart and make you proud of him at the same time. I can't even imagine. God bless all of those that were in harms way and those that rushed in to help. RIP to those souls that did not make it and wishes for healing for those still in the hospital fighting to live.

What a profound experience reading those words.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/7xzpac/im_sid_fischer_a_student_who_was_in_the_third/

The autism label being used by the MSM is disturbing to me to say the very least. The MSM is doing a disservice to itself and to many people with autism who would never commit such an act of violence as this one.

I read that RD article which I found to be very good. I think both teachers as well as parents have an obligation to help their children deal with feelings of isolation. There are so many ways children can refocus their energies and time - even those who were bullied in school (yes I've been a victim of bullying in grade school too). Pour that energy and concentration into achieving something worthwhile. If public schools are to ever get back on the right track it must start with individual achievement. Excelling in academics is great and a must. But we also need more of the following (example):

"Sally, that poem you wrote is really great, why don't you submit it for publication to (name of a children's literary journal)?"

People in business routinely attend motivational speaker events.

Why can't schools do the same thing?

I am saying all this because it is so important for an individual human being, no matter who it is, to learn how to convert negativity into something positive. It doesn't matter if the person is bullied, or the bully. This is something that must start within, not without.

Someone who knows CL said he was diagnosed with autism. He attended special needs schools in the past.

I just read the Reddit account by the young man that was in one of the classrooms. It will break your heart and make you proud of him at the same time. I can't even imagine. God bless all of those that were in harms way and those that rushed in to help. RIP to those souls that did not make it and wishes for healing for those still in the hospital fighting to live.

What a profound experience reading those words.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/7xzpac/im_sid_fischer_a_student_who_was_in_the_third/

I agree it’s heartbreaking but he is so strong and has a knack for expressing himself. Especially considering what he just witnessed and is going through.

Update Feb 16, 2018 5:26 PM EST: At least one south Florida TV station is reporting that Broward County Sheriff officials asked the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office Friday to detain the brother of Nikolas Cruz, the confessed gunman in the massacre Wednesday at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. WPTV reported that Cruz's brother was detained and involuntarily committed to a mental institution under the Baker Act.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/breaking-news/shooting-reported-at-florida-high-school/699928013

OT my eldest child’s had a coworker run out of work early today because her cousin and his girlfriend in Baltimore were shot and killed sitting in their car. Do we have a thread? I’m not finding much online but I’m going to keep looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bears10 I am assuming this was on Reddit? If so would you mind posting the link? It is important for all of use to read what this teenager has to say.

Yes, I am lifting the "No Reddit Posts" rule for this. :)

Tricia
[emoji44] wonderful! Thank you!!!
MOO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bears10 I am assuming this was on Reddit? If so would you mind posting the link? It is important for all of use to read what this teenager has to say.

Yes, I am lifting the "No Reddit Posts" rule for this. :)

Tricia

what does apa mean?

what does apa mean?

AMA means ask me anything. If you go to the link I posted, people ask the student questions and he answers. It’s very insightful and the student did a great job.

WPTV also interviewed another person who had him for a few weeks - https://www.wptv.com/news/region-c-...ad-mothers-best-friend-warning-signs-revealed

He was in Palm Beach County for a while, the next county over to the recent murders conducted by 19 year old Austin Harrouff. I would not be surprised if the "the demons were talking to me and made me do it" that has been all over the news in Palm Beach County is where Cruz lifted the "demons talking to me" story.

It sounds from the Buzzfeed rundown of some of the 39 police calls to the house since 2010 and the internet postings that this man has been carefully planning the school shooting for literally years.

The FBI in spite of a very detailed complaint in early January 2018 failed to take any action whatsoever. Very tragic.

My heart hurt so much!

I read one parent's acount about their daughter, who took a bullet to the back, completely shattering one of her lungs and all of her ribs... she also took several bullets to her shoulder that traveled the entire length of her left arm before exiting.

She's already had several surgeries to place a titanium rib cage amoung other things, and there will be more to come in the future.

And her parents say, they are "greatful". Very aware of those who lost their children forever.

I try not weigh in on motive, for these mass atrocities. The complexities are often beyond my understanding. I don't want to put on a veneer of simplicity, or suggest that enacting some legislation is the Holy Grail that we are all looking for here.

But today I want to say , In my opinion only... Americans are reaping what they've sown. Contrary to the spoiled rotten theory some subscribe to, I believe our children have been increasingly neglected, forgotten, disregarded, pressured, and abused.

My opinion will not be a popular one I'm sure, (but hey when has that ever stopped me?), take away the guns and you'll still be left with some angry, dead inside, violent, injured, psychopathic young people who will find a way to wreck havoc reguarless.

Way back when stay-at-home-mom became a dirty word (title?) we started to kick our young people to the curb.

You know... we can "Bring home the bacon, fry it up in the pan and never ever let him forget he's a man"... remember that commercial? That Ad campaign? Yeah we haven't had time for our kids since then I think, and it's only gotten worse.

I see it every day...when I walk my reluctant 13 year old daughter to watch her get on the bus at 6:45 a.m. every morning (because I want to, not because I have to)... but I see barely three year old kids being shoved on school buses.. One little boy kicks and screams.. Every. Morning. They pry him off of his parent and toss them on to that bus everyday

Maybe it's a necessity for that family. I don't know but it can't be a good thing for that child. I often wonder how his emotional health will be in the future.

Many other countries have far, far more support for families than we do here in America.

We are even known as the "No Vacation Nation". Why is that a good thing? Why is that something we're proud of? That we work ourselves into early graves and neglect our youth and it's considered a good a "Work Ethic"?

Hell, at least we're not lazy! :mad:

American young people have become angrier, and more violent than ever. Why isn't it ever "Time" for a discussion about why that is?

Actually, IMO we have a segment of kids, who are mentally ill and on psych drugs without proper supervision to ensure the medication is working without unintended side effects. THe parent/s let them sit and play violent video games at young ages and then turn a blind eye, or even encourage gun ownership(Lanza). We also have many many people who have a mindset that all their troubles are due to someone else doing them wrong, no personal responsibility.
Even with all that said: This man who killed these kids in Florida should have been stopped. People did what they were supposed to do, the FBI did NOT.

@auntiesemantic, he wasn't necessarily mentally ill. just because a neighbor or a relative says he was, doesn't mean so.

not diminishing your post...but even the public defender (again not citing her as a reasonably verified psychologist) said he felt remorse.

folks, feel free to bash this post, with the mod's permission. this young man was ignored.

how would you feel if you were ignored? orphaned? having not one friend? rejected by the one institution (school) that you perhaps relied upon?

in my second post on thread #1 i held the parents accountable. had i done the proper sleuthing i would've known there were no parents. and nothing can excuse his actions.

just think for a moment...this is a truly lost soul. again, not that anyone cares. no one ever did.

how would you feel if this was your son?

@auntiesemantic, he wasn't necessarily mentally ill. just because a neighbor or a relative says he was, doesn't mean so.

not diminishing your post...but even the public defender (again not citing her as a reasonably verified psychologist) said he felt remorse.

folks, feel free to bash this post, with the mod's permission. this young man was ignored.

how would you feel if you were ignored? orphaned? having not one friend? rejected by the one institution (school) that you perhaps relied upon?

in my second post on thread #1 i held the parents accountable. had i done the proper sleuthing i would've known there were no parents. and nothing can excuse his actions.

just think for a moment...this is a truly lost soul. again, not that anyone cares. no one ever did.

how would you feel if this was your son?

With the proper parenting, awareness by LE and the educational system, mental health officials, this *may* have never happened.

It's a tragedy all around.

I don't believe this person was born evil.............it's what he became because his actions, behaviour, and his being were ignored or swept under the carpet.

Actually, IMO we have a segment of kids, who are mentally ill and on psych drugs without proper supervision to ensure the medication is working without unintended side effects. THe parent/s let them sit and play violent video games at young ages and then turn a blind eye, or even encourage gun ownership(Lanza). We also have many many people who have a mindset that all their troubles are due to someone else doing them wrong, no personal responsibility.
Even with all that said: This man who killed these kids in Florida should have been stopped. People did what they were supposed to do, the FBI did NOT.

Regarding video games and violence.

So what excuse does my grandfather have for abusing the everloving crap out of my father, aunts and uncles? What excuse does my MIL have for being the most physically abusive woman I’ve ever had the *pleasure* of encountering? (My husband is older than me and raised in a different time than me).

We can blame video games all we want. Bottom line is, violence has been present in all generations. Yes, even the treasured 1950s. It just presented itself differently. And domestic violence and child abuse was far more acceptable back in my dads day than it is now. Sometimes I feel really out of place generationally here.

Way to go GRANDMA!!!
I am sure it was hard to do, but she saved so many lives!!!

http://www.11alive.com/mobile/artic...ting-at-one-of-the-high-schools/281-518703506

"According to court documents, O'Connor wrote in entries dated in January 2018: "I can't wait to walk into class and blow all those (expletives) away," and "I need to make this shooting/bombing infamous. I need to get the biggest fatality number I possible can."

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tricia, are we allowed to discuss the content of the AMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cliff77