FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #3 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing and I’m sorry for your loss. I guess where I live I can’t imagine teachers being able to take a bereavement day if it isn’t a family member.
You don't need to take a day off work to pay your respects. Usually I'll go to an evening visitation after work. Maybe they don't have that in the US?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

He is/was a cop, a Deputy, 32 years. He failed along with the fbi.

Yes teachers can be trained to shot just like most people can.

Deputy at Florida high school where 17 were killed 'never went in,' resigns
https://www.wptv.com/news/national/...ol-where-17-were-killed-never-went-in-resigns

This is so sad. Earlier in this thread, I recalled my memories of school police in the 90's. It sounds like not much has changed, judging by this example.
One of our cops was a regular at the smoking hang out spot. Another was obsessed with wrongly accusing us all of being gang members. One of them stood frozen when a student was accidentally shot on campus.

County Superintendent Robert Runcie said, "I'm in shock and I'm outraged to no end that he could have made a difference in all this. It's really disturbing that we had a law enforcement individual there specifically for this reason, and he did not engage. He did not do his job. It's one of the most unbelievable things I've ever heard."

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/02/23/...deputies/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

Just had time to catch up. NOW it all makes sense. He stopped shooting because the fire alarm went off! This was one of the things that I never understood. Why go guns blazing for 10mins and then just put your weapon down with a full bag of ammo? He didn’t plan for the fire alarm to go off.

I absolutely think this is very likely. It's even possible that he couldn't tolerate the sound of the alarm to keep shooting. (If the ASD rumors are true that often comes with sensory issues.) It would actually make sense to keep shooting during the alarm, since everyone would be running towards you. So there's got to be a reason he did not.

He waited outside of the door for 4 minutes? OMG :tantrum:

It's really amazing there weren't more students killed. Only because teachers and students acted quickly locking doors and helping people hide. Otherwise that 4 minutes could have resulted in a lot more deaths.

He was the only one on the scene. So I believe it's not even against the protocol for him to wait for back up. Not that it's heroic or anything, but he apparently had a 9 mm and NC had an AR-15. So that wasn't a fight he could have won.

The teachers and students inside didn't have anything to fight with. He would have had the element of surprise. He could have gone in and shot him in the back even. Obviously don't get into a face to face gun battle, but he could have at least TRIED.

He should have gone in.

"Modern active shooter procedures were changed after the Columbine High School shooting in 1999 when officers were trained to wait for SWAT officers to respond and take out a threat. The officers in that shooting allowed the suspects to continue their rampage without being challenged. In the end, 13 people were killed.

Officers are now trained to go toward gunfire, even if alone and outgunned, because research has shown the presence of law enforcement can slow down or stop a suspect, potentially bringing the death toll down and preventing future deaths."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...re-sounding-he-should-have-stopped/365122002/

Absolutely. Otherwise, what is the point of having him there? If he's just going to sit outside while kids get shot and bleed out. Why have him at all? If there needs to be more than one, have more than one. Don't have them there if they aren't going to do anything to help anyway.

This may have been discussed before but I don't remember. Anyway, I was reading through some older articles from a week ago and found this article:

https://nypost.com/2018/02/15/alleged-school-shooter-was-abusive-to-ex-girlfriend-classmate/

Here's some quotes that are very interesting to me. BBM:

Sophia Serino, 17, said Cruz just “snapped” when he decided to open fire on his classmates and murder anyone in his path.
“There was a lot going on with him mentally. His mother died three months ago and… his other family members took [his inheritance] from him and kicked him out so he snapped,” Serino told The Post.

“He’s been saying this stuff many times… During freshman year around he was in the bathroom and he was actually about to snap and plan this out and do it but [my friend] talked him down.
“It wasn’t something that was spontaneous. I think he really planned this.”

Not sure if this has been posted. If so, my apologies.

FBI transcript from the 1/5/2018 reporting call: http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/FBI-transcript-02-23-2018.pdf

WOW! It is beyond shameful -- and even beyond pure negligence -- that the FBI did not follow up on this call. I got chills reading this part: "you can make the decision [about what to do with the information provided] but I had to get it off my chest in case something does happen and I do believe something is going to happen."

Other interesting tidbits --
- he once got angry at his mother about something involving money and pulled a rifle on her
- the caller tried to contact the family he was staying with on several different occasions (to warn them about his behavior, to pass along his multiple Instagram accounts and let them know what he'd been posting, to notify them that he should not have access to firearms due to the fact that he has the mental capacity of a 12 year old and had expressed a desire to kill people, etc.) and the calls were never returned
- he once brought a dead bird into the house and started cutting it up in the kitchen in front of his mother and when she asked him what he was doing he said "I want to see what's inside it". *UHHH, HELLO. THAT'S A MAJOR RED FLAG. A HALLMARK SYMPTOM OF PSYCHOPATHY. I ONCE READ A QUOTE FROM A MAN WHO SCORED 38 OUT OF 40 ON THE PSYCHOPATHY INVENTORY CHECKLIST & IT SAID, "THE 'HOME' OF A SERIAL KILLER IS MORBID CURIOSITY TAKEN TO ITS EXTREME."

After reading this transcript, I'm more convinced than ever that his "remorseful behavior" -- the head hung in the courtroom, his trembling voice heard on the 911 call -- is nothing more than an attempt to manipulate the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may have been discussed before but I don't remember. Anyway, I was reading through some older articles from a week ago and found this article:

https://nypost.com/2018/02/15/alleged-school-shooter-was-abusive-to-ex-girlfriend-classmate/

Here's some quotes that are very interesting to me. BBM:

Sophia Serino, 17, said Cruz just “snapped” when he decided to open fire on his classmates and murder anyone in his path.
“There was a lot going on with him mentally. His mother died three months ago and… his other family members took [his inheritance] from him and kicked him out so he snapped,” Serino told The Post.

“He’s been saying this stuff many times… During freshman year around he was in the bathroom and he was actually about to snap and plan this out and do it but [my friend] talked him down.
“It wasn’t something that was spontaneous. I think he really planned this.”

The picture of him in this article seriously gives me the creeps like nothing or no one else on this earth. I honestly think he's just pure evil in human form. I remember someone else mentioned the movie "we need to talk about Kevin," and yeah... you should watch it if you haven't already because it could have been written about this guy right here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the hard part about being a teacher. Each child is a unique person with needs. Teachers look for the good and build upon that. Or at least we should. We are always hopeful that something we do will be the breakthrough that makes the child have more success.

In all of my years of teaching, I had one child who had no redeeming qualities, I felt. It is hard for teachers to give up on a student. We look at that as failure. We did not find the proper key .

Cruz does not sound like there was much to like. Two families kept him for awhile. The last one did not see anything odd.

I wonder if teachers liked him. I wonder if a teacher would have been able ti blast him away.

This made me sad. It also reveals a little info about the Cruz boys early childhoods.:

http://www.wpbf.com/article/nikolas-cruz-brother-i-dont-want-to-be-alive/18702767

The deputy who went to the home interviewed the teen and wrote in his report: “he does feel somewhat responsible and guilty and could have possibly prevented this.”
The teen told the deputy that “he and his friends when they were younger, had bullied Nikolas and he now regrets this...he wishes he had been "nicer" to his brother.”
And the younger boy admitted that in the minds of the adoptive parents who took in both him and Nikolas as an infant and a toddler, “Nikolas may have been the favored brother, which may have caused some resentment.”

It sounds like the last family he was living was going to invest his money? Hmmmmmmmm

And these people claimed they knew nothing about NC's issues. Sounds like they didn't want to know anything, because the caller claims they tried to warn multiple times and phone calls were never even returned.

This made me sad. It also reveals a little info about the Cruz boys early childhoods.:

http://www.wpbf.com/article/nikolas-cruz-brother-i-dont-want-to-be-alive/18702767

The deputy who went to the home interviewed the teen and wrote in his report: “he does feel somewhat responsible and guilty and could have possibly prevented this.”
The teen told the deputy that “he and his friends when they were younger, had bullied Nikolas and he now regrets this...he wishes he had been "nicer" to his brother.”
And the younger boy admitted that in the minds of the adoptive parents who took in both him and Nikolas as an infant and a toddler, “Nikolas may have been the favored brother, which may have caused some resentment.”

Sounds like normal sibling rivalry. Siblings fighting is nothing unusual.

You don't need to take a day off work to pay your respects. Usually I'll go to an evening visitation after work. Maybe they don't have that in the US?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

For a wake, yes you can go at night. There are usually daytime hours and nighttime hours you can go to. I’ve never been to a nighttime funeral though. I was specially referring to LCs funeral in response to people being surprised NCs teachers didn’t go to the funeral.

Nothing to see here. Route from eyes to brain not quite awake yet.

Not sure if this has been posted. If so, my apologies.

FBI transcript from the 1/5/2018 reporting call: http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/FBI-transcript-02-23-2018.pdf

Thank you, Popsicle!

Reading this transcript frustrates me so much! It sounds like family, classmates, friends all sent up warning flags to both local and federal authorities, yet no authorities successfully connected the dots to understand the true nature of the threat this kid posed. As I've read the news articles, my sense is that each set of authorities had their own fiefdoms and that information wasn't shared well enough to establish key patterns. That coupled with the strong separation between childhood records and adult records in Florida (MOO, based on living in FL since 1967) means there were red flags all over the place that were not compiled into an effective dossier by authorities. As a citizen, my question is what the heck do our authorities need us to tell them or do in order for them to connect the dots of so many red flags when reporting threats such as these!?

Moo!

Here is the hard part about being a teacher. Each child is a unique person with needs. Teachers look for the good and build upon that. Or at least we should. We are always hopeful that something we do will be the breakthrough that makes the child have more success.

In all of my years of teaching, I had one child who had no redeeming qualities, I felt. It is hard for teachers to give up on a student. We look at that as failure. We did not find the proper key .

Cruz does not sound like there was much to like. Two families kept him for awhile. The last one did not see anything odd.

I wonder if teachers liked him. I wonder if a teacher would have been able ti blast him away.

I really doubt teachers liked him. Sounds like there were numerous behavioral issues. A caller to FBI who tried to warn authorites claimed NC would throw a chair at teachers if he didn't like what they said.

Thank you, Popsicle!

Reading this transcript frustrates me so much! It sounds like family, classmates, friends all sent up warning flags to both local and federal authorities, yet no authorities successfully connected the dots to understand the true nature of the threat this kid posed. As I've read the news articles, my sense is that each set of authorities had their own fiefdoms and that information wasn't shared well enough to establish key patterns. That coupled with the strong separation between childhood records and adult records in Florida (MOO, based on living in FL since 1967) means there were red flags all over the place that were not compiled into an effective dossier by authorities. As a citizen, my question is what the heck do our authorities need us to tell them or do in order for them to connect the dots of so many red flags when reporting threats such as these!?

Moo!

Very good question! Seems to me that if you "See something, say something" they scrutinize you first. That's why people are hesitant to call. When will the authorities trust "our" instincts? If you were brave enough to call, they need to take it seriously. This caller should have been interviewed. There was probably much more to find out from her. Don't know if anyone called her back, but they should have if they didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member