FL FL - Ace Kimberly & his 3 kids missing off coast near Englewood, 21 June 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Read on FB that both bodies had life jackets on via comment on article by alleged family member.

The CG has announced a press briefing at 12:30 pm today.

----------

A couple of days ago I watched a video of an interview with a CG officer and he said Ace did appear to be prepared for the trip. The video cut away. I found the quote in another article, one that was updated last night:

[Coast Guard spokesman] Cangemi said, based on items found, that Ace Kimberly had adequately prepared for the trip. “There were signs that he was preparing for the journey by outfitting his boat with the proper, necessary tools," he said.

<snip>

Dockmaster Josh Lane recommends anyone taking a trip use a device called an EPIRB -- or Emergency Position Indicating Radiobeacon -- which sends out an exact location during emergencies.

Cangemi agreed, saying it takes the "search out of the search and rescue."​

http://www.abc-7.com/story/32304009/missing-familys-friends-remain-hopeful-amid-sadness

https://www.facebook.com/10NewsWTSP/
Watch Live: Coast Guard has announced it is suspending thesearch for the missing Kimberly family from Sarasota.

The bodies of fatherAce and daughter Rebecca were recovered.

Wow, this hits close to home. I owned a boat exactly like that one. Why they did not have life jackets on is a mystery to me. Why they did not have a radio for the boat is also discerning. I haven't followed this case extensively but watched news accounts and I'm wondering how much experience the father had with sailing. Very tragic.
Its likely looking at many factors the dad had limited sailing experience. I have seen a few divorced dad's that buy sailboats to not really sail, but rather, as a home. I am guessing the boys were below deck when the boat caught a wave on its beam, rolling the boat, flooding below deck quickly. Maybe the daughter was most afraid putting on a PFD. Too many mistakes were made by the captain. Bad weather should have told them to find land earlier, everyone put on PVD's, should have had a $50.00 hand held radio, etc. Unfortunately, it is not rare to find irresponsible boats not respecting the water and weather.....and too often ( probably not in this case) alcohol hinders on-water decisions.

[video=twitter;746741972300406784]https://twitter.com/USCGSoutheast/status/746741972300406784[/video]

https://www.facebook.com/10NewsWTSP/
Watch Live: Coast Guard has announced it is suspending thesearch for the missing Kimberly family from Sarasota.

The bodies of fatherAce and daughter Rebecca were recovered.

Read on FB that both bodies had life jackets on via comment on article by alleged family member.

According to the Q & A at the end of the press conference, Rebecca had a life vest on; Ace did not.

I've seen a lot of comments referring to the fact that the children's mother left the dad and kids 9 years ago. For more backstory, see the link below. The father Ace has had a relationship with "fiancee" Melissa Gross for 15 years (they "combined families" and also had a son together, Robert). According to Melissa, she helped raise the kids, but was tending to her sick mother during the time the Kimberlys were in Florida. The kids were homeschooled in Florida, and by multiple accounts he was a "wonderful father."

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/loved-ones-fear-the-worst-for-family-missing-in-florida/254196445

This is such a tragic story.

ETA: link per homeschooling - http://www.heraldtribune.com/articl...amily-say-daughter-father-8217-s-bodies-found

The photos show a loving, happy, healthy family, Ace did a lot of things right. No one will know what really happened. RIP to them all.

Does anyone know, how long did the official search continue for Austin and Stephen?

Here we have two boys about the same age still missing, and they've already called off the search.

Does anyone know, how long did the official search continue for Austin and Stephen?

Here we have two boys about the same age still missing, and they've already called off the search.

6-7 days iirc and that was with considerable pressure from the families and the public, they were going to stop it earlier but backed off from that

thread title is currently inaccurate, this family went missing on the 19th but was not reported until the 21st

(it was as accurate as possible when i made it based on initial reports)

Suspended active search or still actively searching it is still very sad for the family and friends. I hope in time they can find peace.

Sent from my SCH-I545

I'm very surprised the search has been called off. Boys this age could survive. I truly hope fishermen and boaters continue searching on their own. Very tragic and sad.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

The reason they didn't call 911 immediately is because they were not in an emergency at that time. Trying to survive is what yachties do anytime they are smashed in a storm but it's not a mayday unless your sinking.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

The reason they didn't call 911 immediately is because they were not in an emergency at that time. Trying to survive is what yachties do anytime they are smashed in a storm but it's not a mayday unless your sinking.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

There are plenty of mayday-worthy emergencies that don't involve a sinking vessel.

There are plenty of mayday-worthy emergencies that don't involve a sinking vessel.

Indeed you are right . I was keeping it short as I was posting on my tablet however all of those may day worthy emergencies need to lead to one thing , the imminent danger of sinking..apart from medical emergencies. Myself and thousands of others have been scared to death and horrible circumstances but apart from the fear the boat was still floating.

End of the day no yachtie wants to start a SAR only for them to find you not in a mayday situation . IMO thats what happened here and by the time it did get to a total emergency they didn't have a signal left. No worn vests could mean something catastrophic happened that was completely unexpected.

Indeed you are right . I was keeping it short as I was posting on my tablet however all of those may day worthy emergencies need to lead to one thing , the imminent danger of sinking..apart from medical emergencies. Myself and thousands of others have been scared to death and horrible circumstances but apart from the fear the boat was still floating.

End of the day no yachtie wants to start a SAR only for them to find you not in a mayday situation . IMO thats what happened here and by the time it did get to a total emergency they didn't have a signal left. No worn vests could mean something catastrophic happened that was completely unexpected.

Yes, it's entirely possible that whatever happened was so sudden and catastrophic that there was no time for a mayday call, or for those not already wearing PFDs to put them on. The keel falling off, for example. A sailboat will turn turtle almost instantly if the keel falls off. If a rogue wave capsizes a sailboat, there's a good chance the sailboat will right itself, but there's no recovery from a dropped keel.

I too have been out in weather that scared me to death, but there was no emergency as such. Just extremely severe weather. A sailboat can almost always handle worse weather than the people on it.

Yes, it's entirely possible that whatever happened was so sudden and catastrophic that there was no time for a mayday call, or for those not already wearing PFDs to put them on. The keel falling off, for example. A sailboat will turn turtle almost instantly if the keel falls off. If a rogue wave capsizes a sailboat, there's a good chance the sailboat will right itself, but there's no recovery from a dropped keel.

I too have been out in weather that scared me to death, but there was no emergency as such. Just extremely severe weather. A sailboat can almost always handle worse weather than the people on it.

Yes the keel would do it and another would be getting run down by a freighter. Dont know how close they were to shipping lanes

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back