FL FL - Ace Kimberly & his 3 kids missing off coast near Englewood, 21 June 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes the keel would do it and another would be getting run down by a freighter. Dont know how close they were to shipping lanes

Those freighters are moving a lot faster than they look, especially when you're in a sailboat doing 4-6 knots.

No shipping lanes in that area, though. Tampa Bay is the major port on Florida's west coast, and they were well south of Tampa Bay. This area (Charlotte Harbor/Pine Island Sound) is pretty much all recreational boating & commercial fishing.

ETA: Well, I guess the coastal shipping lanes pass by this area. But the big ships don't go in and out of port here, and the sailboat would have to have been pushed pretty far out to be near the coastal shipping lanes. with the east wind, I guess it's possible they were that far out.

Such a heartbreaking story. I pray the two missing boys are found, hopefully safe. I hope people continue to look for them on their own.

Such a heartbreaking story. I pray the two missing boys are found, hopefully safe. I hope people continue to look for them on their own.

Unfortunately, by now it's been more than a week. If they didn't have fresh water, I don't think there's any possibility they've survived this long.

In 2009, Scientific American published an article about how the Coast Guard conducts searches: How Are People Lost at Sea Found?

Someone earlier asked how long the CG had actively searched for Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen. I had to check the dates. The CG was notified at about 5pm on Friday, July 24. The search was suspended the following Friday saying they'd surpassed any reasonable period of survivability, estimated to be 4-5 days. Because of the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic, that search covered an area from South FL to NC.

In 2009, Scientific American published an article about how the Coast Guard conducts searches: How Are People Lost at Sea Found?

Someone earlier asked how long the CG had actively searched for Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen. I had to check the dates. The CG was notified at about 5pm on Friday, July 24. The search was suspended the following Friday saying they'd surpassed any reasonable period of survivability, estimated to be 4-5 days. Because of the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic, that search covered an area from South FL to NC.

That was me who asked about the Austin & Perry search, and THANK YOU for doing the research I was too goldarn lazy to do for myself!

I would have sworn the Coast Guard's active Austin & Perry search went on for longer than a week. Probably it just seemed a lot longer, since the parents were able to get so much private search help.

My father was in the Coast Guard before I was born in the early 1960's. He patrolled one of the great lakes however. He used to tell me stories of searching for boaters and finding those who drowned. One time it was a boat full of kids and some didn't make it. He would tell me how they would drag the lake to find bodies. I grew up thinking it takes a special person to do that job and to this day I have a lot of respect and gratitude for the USCG for what they do and see. Unfortunately, it does stay with them long after.

Edit also, trust me , they wish they could continue to search past their time given. My father used to say that he had even considered taking the coast guard boat one time because it was storming too hard to go search his commander said and there where kids out there. Don't think they just give up, it's in their minds long after.

Roger Dallen Kimberly – The Charley Project

Roger Dallen Kimberly

kimberly_roger.jpg
kimberly_roger2.jpg
kimberly_roger3.jpg

• Missing Since 06/19/2016
  • Missing From Fort Myers, Florida
  • Classification Lost/Injured Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/27/2001 (19)
  • Age 14 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'7, 125 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Roger and his brother, Donald, were last seen June 19, 2016. At the time of their disappearances, they were living on a sailboat with their father, 40-year-old Ace O.G. Kimberly, and their sister, 17-year-old Rebbacca Lynn Kimberly. The boat was a 29-foot white Seafarer sailboat with yellow trim and the license number FL4414HP.

The Kimberly family left Marina Jack in Sarasota, Florida at 7:00 a.m. They planned to go to Fort Myers, Florida to meet Ace's brother, who would repair some problems the boat was having.

At 3:00 p.m., Ace called his brother and said they were about 37 miles off the coast of Englewood, Florida. He told his brother they were experiencing thunderstorms and six-foot waves and "trying to survive." The family was never heard from again.

The wreckage of their vessel, including six life jackets and two kayaks the boat was towing, was found four days later, in the Gulf Mexico about 33 miles off the coast of Sanibel Island. First Rebbacca's and then Ace's bodies were located, but Roger and Donald's bodies have never been found. They are presumed drowned.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Donald Thomas Kimberly – The Charley Project

Donald Thomas Kimberly

kimberly_donald.jpg
kimberly_donald2.jpg
kimberly_donald3.jpg
kimberly_donald4.jpg

• Missing Since 06/19/2016
  • Missing From Fort Myers, Florida
  • Classification Lost/Injured Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 12/17/1999 (21)
  • Age 16 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'10, 120 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes. Donald's nickname is Donnie.
Details of Disappearance
Donald and his brother, Roger, were last seen June 19, 2016. At the time of their disappearances, they were living on a sailboat with their father, 40-year-old Ace O.G. Kimberly, and their sister, 17-year-old Rebbacca Lynn Kimberly. The boat was a 29-foot white Seafarer sailboat with yellow trim and the license number FL4414HP.

The Kimberly family left Marina Jack in Sarasota, Florida at 7:00 a.m. They planned to go to Fort Myers, Florida to meet Ace's brother, who would repair some problems the boat was having.

At 3:00 p.m., Ace called his brother and said they were about 37 miles off the coast of Englewood, Florida. He told his brother they were experiencing thunderstorms and six-foot waves and "trying to survive." The family was never heard from again.

The wreckage of their vessel, including six life jackets and two kayaks the boat was towing, was found four days later, in the Gulf Mexico about 33 miles off the coast of Sanibel Island. First Rebbacca's and then Ace's bodies were located, but Roger and Donald's bodies have never been found. They are presumed drowned.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back