FL FL - Adam Walsh, 7, Hollywood, 27 July 1981

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've done alot of research on this case. Toole was a long time suspect so closing the case now 12 years after his death doesn't do much good. I guess it does bring some closure but Walsh already suspected Toole.

He was verified in the area when Adam disappeared, and he was able to tell investigators which exact Sears it was.

Also the car he was driving at the time disappeared didn't it? If they would have found the car it would be a slam dunk to get DNA evidence. The car was either totally lost or stripped out and totally redone on the inside, I cannot remember. That was a huge piece of evidence though not handled properly.

I wanted to add, I have always respected John Walsh. I consider him to be one of my heroes. He has done so much to help protect our nations children. He has taken a tragedy and turned it around with something positive. But he made a comment about this case that does not sit well with me. I was watching a show about this case in detail and John Walsh commented about the inept security at Sears that day and how the security guard was a 17 yr old who just had an abortion. What does this have to do with anything and I'm sure she didn't want this medical information publicly announced.

I've done alot of research on this case. Toole was a long time suspect so closing the case now 12 years after his death doesn't do much good. I guess it does bring some closure but Walsh already suspected Toole.

He was verified in the area when Adam disappeared, and he was able to tell investigators which exact Sears it was.

Also the car he was driving at the time disappeared didn't it? If they would have found the car it would be a slam dunk to get DNA evidence. The car was either totally lost or stripped out and totally redone on the inside, I cannot remember. That was a huge piece of evidence though not handled properly.

Yep the car just disappeared

Authorities made a series of crucial errors, losing the bloodstained carpeting in Toole's car — preventing DNA testing — and the car itself.
It was a week after the boy's disappearance before the FBI got involved.

http://news.aol.com/article/police-...d/279175?icid=200100397x1215014966x1201017700

I wanted to add, I have always respected John Walsh. I consider him to be one of my heroes. He has done so much to help protect our nations children. He has taken a tragedy and turned it around with something positive. But he made a comment about this case that does not sit well with me. I was watching a show about this case in detail and John Walsh commented about the inept security at Sears that day and how the security guard was a 17 yr old who just had an abortion. What does this have to do with anything and I'm sure she didn't want this medical information publicly announced.

I'd like to fall on the side of John Walsh on this one although I too think it was wrong to mention the abortion. But, his point could have been that she was emotionally, physically unattentive? "just had an abortion" doesn't tell us if it was that morning and she had come to work on medication...

He could have just as easily said 'a medical proceedure'. (that's a cold word to use, but)

This case has always made me so sad. Adam Walsh did not deserve to die. I am glad John Walsh and Reve have at least some sort of closure now.

I am so glad to see a definative solution to the abduction and murder of Adam Wlash.. I honestly wasnt sure it would happen as tragic as it was and by no means do I downplay the horrific death that Adam faced that day..but without his death our justice system and missing persons cases would not have evolved to our current state without John Walsh. Thank goodness he turned his anger and devastation into something good. I hope this finally calms the demons that haunt John and his ex wife. I can t imagine all the anguish they have felt all these years. Adam was such a beautiful child and is is truly a tragedy he is not here to see all his father has accomplished in his name. I am sure John would give it all back in aheart beat just to have Adam back. My sincere thanks to John for all of his work and efforts to help so many families of the missing and the victims themselves. I hope you find some peace even this many years later.

I just watched the press conference, and oh man, did it make me cry. John and Reve are such incredible people.

I watched a full bio on this case on some channel, ID maybe or biography channel. I got chills up my spine when they went into detail the minutes after Adam had disappeared. JW was so devastated he could hardly speak. What happened to them is truly every parents worse nightmare. It was so surreal I felt a lump in my throat.

Toole went into detail at one point on what happended. He saw Adam loitering around the outside of the store and asked him if he wanted to go play video games. Adam got in his car and when they drove away Adam started to cry. Toole then says he punched him in the face then it just gets disgusting and sad. I believe this killed Adam.

Hello,

In 1981 I was a 4 yr old boy. My brother was 6 days older than Adam at the time of his abduction. My family lived in Fort Lauderdale and frequently went to the Sears mall. For obvious reasons, this case has always bothered me. I have followed it since I was a kid. I am glad for John Walsh and his family that he feels there is a "resolution" as to who the murderer of Adam was, Ottis Toole. However, there was no new info released today as to why it was Toole than there was in 1984, when during a prison interview a LE official broached the subject of a murdered boy in S. Fla that Toole even mentioned anything about such a murder. Toole was a habitual liar, murderer, schemer, drug user, arsonist, and God knows what else. But one thing he was never charged or convicted of was molesting or murdering young boys. The theory of Toole's involvement has been questionable at best. What is known is that he cashed a check in Jacksonville, FL (which is located on the upper northeast side of the state, about 450 miles north of Hollywood, FL) on the evening before Adam's abduction. Toole has said that he was so wasted and high from his daily cocktail of alcohol, pills, amphetamines, and inhalants on the day in question that he decided to drive down to Miami to do dome "tricks", as he knew the money was better in S. Fla. He was known to abuse these substances daily, so I hardly doubt he was lying about that. But what I have a hard time believing is that this could drive a beaten down car almost comatose, go to the Sears mall (where he would have stood out like a sore thumb), abduct Adam and get him into his car, take off and start driving north again, decapitate Adam and throw his severed head in Fort Myers, FL and then remove his body someplace never to be found... only to be back in Jacksonville early the next day. It doesn't add up. What happened to him "doing his tricks"? Someone that wasted and pilled out of their mind is not going to drive FL's I-75 in that condition (twice, as he claimed). My belief is that with the new Police Chief at the Hollywood PD, there was a need to clear all the old cases in its files. A confession from a compulsive liar was good enough to get rid of a headache that has plagued this department for 27 years. Would like to hear other views on this as well as some of your own. Although the murder of Adam was so tragic, there have been many good things to come from it including all of John's work and the NCMEC.

Here is a clip on Youtube of a Toole interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLCIhgC9iA8

There is no one on Earth that knows this case any better than John Walsh. I am sure he could recite the circumstantial evidence, piece by piece, even better than the police.

He has long felt Ottis Toole murdered his precious little boy.

We can never say that Ottis couldn't have done this. We see this too often and realize one does not have to be a rocket scientist to persuade a child into going with them. We have seen how quickly it is done on shows like Oprah's were they show them leaving with the pretend pedophile. Drugged up or not does make them less capable either. We have seen those who were high on illegal drugs be able to lure and murder a child.

As John would tell us all.........do not underestimate these kind of killers who prey on our children.

John has done amazing work. Finding over a 120,000+ missing kids.

Only Ottis Toole would have known how it came down. He told his niece on his deathbed all about seeing the boy outside and how he asked him if he wanted to play video games. It would not surprise me if the ME could tell that Adam's poor little head was decapitated by the use of a sword or machete.

God bless this family...may this part give them some semblance of peace. There will never be closure, that is obvious by the emotions seen today, who are still raw 27 years later.

There is no one on Earth that knows this case any better than John Walsh. I am sure he could recite the circumstantial evidence, piece by piece, even better than the police.

He has long felt Ottis Toole murdered his precious little boy.

We can never say that Ottis couldn't have done this. We see this too often and realize one does not have to be a rocket scientist to persuade a child into going with them. We have seen how quickly it is done on shows like Oprah's were they show them leaving with the pretend pedophile. Drugged up or not does make them less capable either. We have seen those who were high on illegal drugs be able to lure and murder a child.

As John would tell us all.........do not underestimate these kind of killers who prey on our children.

John has done amazing work. Finding over a 120,000+ missing kids.

Only Ottis Toole would have known how it came down. He told his niece on his deathbed all about seeing the boy outside and how he asked him if he wanted to play video games. It would not surprise me if the ME could tell that Adam's poor little head was decapitated by the use of a sword or machete.

God bless this family...may this part give them some semblance of peace. There will never be closure, that is obvious by the emotions seen today, who are still raw 27 years later.

John has done tremendous work. Have you read "Tears of Rage" by John Walsh?

God Bless John Walsh, wife and children. I think if there is anyone out there that extensively researched/ and or had assistance, it would be him.. Soo, inspite of any "questioning" don't feel he would participate in the news brief just for publicity.

May their family found some closure, if that is even possible with today's new. His son was the very first incident that I believe set my mind in gear as was a very young mother myself at that time. Opps, sorry was a mother in 1/84, was about 19 yo but will never,ever forget ...

Prayers to the Walsh family forever, do doubt these years have been difficult on them. :( breaks my heart.

Hello,

In 1981 I was a 4 yr old boy. My brother was 6 days older than Adam at the time of his abduction. My family lived in Fort Lauderdale and frequently went to the Sears mall. For obvious reasons, this case has always bothered me. I have followed it since I was a kid. I am glad for John Walsh and his family that he feels there is a "resolution" as to who the murderer of Adam was, Ottis Toole. However, there was no new info released today as to why it was Toole than there was in 1984, when during a prison interview a LE official broached the subject of a murdered boy in S. Fla that Toole even mentioned anything about such a murder. Toole was a habitual liar, murderer, schemer, drug user, arsonist, and God knows what else. But one thing he was never charged or convicted of was molesting or murdering young boys. The theory of Toole's involvement has been questionable at best. What is known is that he cashed a check in Jacksonville, FL (which is located on the upper northeast side of the state, about 450 miles north of Hollywood, FL) on the evening before Adam's abduction. Toole has said that he was so wasted and high from his daily cocktail of alcohol, pills, amphetamines, and inhalants on the day in question that he decided to drive down to Miami to do dome "tricks", as he knew the money was better in S. Fla. He was known to abuse these substances daily, so I hardly doubt he was lying about that. But what I have a hard time believing is that this could drive a beaten down car almost comatose, go to the Sears mall (where he would have stood out like a sore thumb), abduct Adam and get him into his car, take off and start driving north again, decapitate Adam and throw his severed head in Fort Myers, FL and then remove his body someplace never to be found... only to be back in Jacksonville early the next day. It doesn't add up. What happened to him "doing his tricks"? Someone that wasted and pilled out of their mind is not going to drive FL's I-75 in that condition (twice, as he claimed). My belief is that with the new Police Chief at the Hollywood PD, there was a need to clear all the old cases in its files. A confession from a compulsive liar was good enough to get rid of a headache that has plagued this department for 27 years. Would like to hear other views on this as well as some of your own. Although the murder of Adam was so tragic, there have been many good things to come from it including all of John's work and the NCMEC.

Here is a clip on Youtube of a Toole interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLCIhgC9iA8

To add to my above post, one thing that cannot be forgotten is how much the Hollywood, FL PD bungled this investigation. Yes, the past is the past, but how could the department ever be confident in saying who did what when they completely lost Ottis Toole's own car which had blood in it... blood that could now be used for DNA testing. Also, Toole tried to extort John Walsh for thousands in the mid 80's with a nasty letter. Their failure to call in the FBI because they wanted credit for solving it forever stalled this case. The HPD knew it was above their expertise and still refused help. That's a fact. But, as stated above, what new evidence is there in linking Toole now that was not there in 1984? And if it isn't Toole, then someone who murdered Adam Walsh was/is free to commit more crimes. Ashleigh Bancroft was on Larry King tonight and basically said the same things I'm saying here. It just seems like a move by the HPD by a new chief in charge to clear up this case and move on. One cannot blame John Walsh for wanting to finally hear the HPD finally say they believe they know who did it. But it's what John believed since 1984... and that Toole is the one. I really hope it was Toole who did this because he's dead at least and cannot hurt any more children...

John was saying that they had wanted to test the piece of bloody carpet that was in the car and they also wanted to test the car but by the time the equipment was available to test the carpet and car with both were missing.
That had to have just knocked the Walshes to their knees. If the carpet and car hadn't gotten lost this case would no doubt have be solved years ago.

How in the world did LE lose a big ole boat of a car? I remember they were taking the car to another state for some reason and it just disappeared after it got there.

I think Toole is Adam's killer. He knew to much about the kidnapping. I think he kept changing his mind about being the killer just to cause John and his wife more pain. This guy was a real monster. I hope he is enjoying his life in hell.

I too beleive toole was the killer even with the women he killed it was more about the power and torture that he had over them .Some one said they didnt think he was ever convicted of a molesting I think thats why it was more of a torture and power trip then a sexual thing..One thing i did find interesting was that alot of investigators to this day beleive that jeffery dahmer was the killer john walsh even asked him face to face twice but he denied it the reason was well obviousilly the way he killed and decapitated his bodies but he worked just around the corner from that mall and had the use of the company;s vehicle that day mind you i still think otoole was the right guy but some do still think it was J dahmer..

How in the world did LE lose a big ole boat of a car? I remember they were taking the car to another state for some reason and it just disappeared after it got there.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=39789

Since Toole had recanted his confession, someone deemed the evidence no longer viable and the carpet samples were thrown out. The vehicle was sold to a used car lot and eventually junked for scrap.

With the loss of evidence, the opportunity to do DNA testing of the carpets to determine once and for all if Adam was ever in Toole's white Cadillac is now gone.

I can't put my finger on why, but I feel there's a good chance it was Toole. I think it's just the way certain things add up. The downside to all this though is what other posters have said....there's a chance that the PD just wanted to have this closed. It was an embarrassing huge mess for them and maybe they felt that if they just admitted that yeah, it was this guy and he's dead and can't lead us yay or nay, that the whole case would be closed and everyone could "move on." Sadly, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case.

On the other hand, I would like to hope that Mr. Walsh has learned from his years of advocacy and learning how the criminal mind works, and maybe he drew his conclusions based on that. I'd like to hope that his feelings are correct on Toole.

I too beleive toole was the killer even with the women he killed it was more about the power and torture that he had over them .Some one said they didnt think he was ever convicted of a molesting I think thats why it was more of a torture and power trip then a sexual thing..One thing i did find interesting was that alot of investigators to this day beleive that jeffery dahmer was the killer john walsh even asked him face to face twice but he denied it the reason was well obviousilly the way he killed and decapitated his bodies but he worked just around the corner from that mall and had the use of the company;s vehicle that day mind you i still think otoole was the right guy but some do still think it was J dahmer..

CanManEh,

The Dahmer angle was looked at extensively. What I find interesting is that Dahmer was crossed off the list (although he was stationed there in the military at the time), mainly because it didn't fit his MO. Yet, the same can be said for Ottis Toole, as well. However, I don't believe Dahmer was involved in Adam's case. Just as I don't believe Toole was either. Many different takes and opinions on this case.

Im not 100 percent sure about this iam just going back in memory here from what i seen on american justice with bill curtis but when otoole started killing people did he not have a partner for a little while i dont recall his name and i dont think he stayed till the end either but i do recall him having a partner in crime for the first while...If so i wonder if he is still alive ..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back