FL - Anastasia Gilley, 19, 4-months pregnant, last seen at home, found deceased, Jackson County, 3 May 2023 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jim’s Buffet and Grill in Marianna FL is about an hour south of where this perp is from in Georgia. Clearly this employer needs to step up their background checks, that is, if they even do them. A Florida background check isn't going to show out of state crimes, you have to do a federal background check. He couldn't possibly have been making enough money to warrant driving that far. I suspect he was just victim searching.....creep. JMO

It is a sad reality that LE would state he is not a threat to others when he clearly has a compulsion to rape and victimize women, including evading child support. JMO

Jim’s Buffet and Grill in Marianna FL is about an hour south of where this perp is from in Georgia. Clearly this employer needs to step up their background checks, that is, if they even do them. A Florida background check isn't going to show out of state crimes, you have to do a federal background check. He couldn't possibly have been making enough money to warrant driving that far. I suspect he was just victim searching.....creep. JMO

It is a sad reality that LE would state he is not a threat to others when he clearly has a compulsion to rape and victimize women, including evading child support. JMO
Do you have a link that shows that he worked there (or had worked there)? How do we know that they were colleagues?
Thanks.

Do you have a link that shows that he worked there (or had worked there)? How do we know that they were colleagues?
Thanks.
Snips & bolded by me. These 2 articles were posted earlier in the thread.

Houston Co. man charged with pregnant teen's murder, JCSO

After his arrest, authorities discovered McCloud and Gilley had been in contact with one another and began questioning him on Gilley’s disappearance, according to Sheriff Edenfield.

Family speaks out about pregnant Tallahassee native missing in Marianna

Since then, Gilley has reportedly gone “radio silent” and missed a doctor’s appointment and several work shifts at Jim’s Buffet and Grill in Marianna.

Taylor said she believes foul play may be involved, that Gilley’s boss reported she had recently been threatened by another employee and that investigators have told her they are “following leads.”

Bolded by me. Poor girl was probably trying to escape.

UPDATE: The suspect, 33-year-old Marquis Devan McCloud, is being charged in Alabama with Capital Murder during Kidnapping First Degree.

Sources tell News4 he took the pregnant teen from Greenwood, Florida. She was reported to have been shot in the back multiple times though an autopsy will determine the exact cause of death.

Snips & bolded by me. These 2 articles were posted earlier in the thread.

Houston Co. man charged with pregnant teen's murder, JCSO

After his arrest, authorities discovered McCloud and Gilley had been in contact with one another and began questioning him on Gilley’s disappearance, according to Sheriff Edenfield.

Family speaks out about pregnant Tallahassee native missing in Marianna

Since then, Gilley has reportedly gone “radio silent” and missed a doctor’s appointment and several work shifts at Jim’s Buffet and Grill in Marianna.

Taylor said she believes foul play may be involved, that Gilley’s boss reported she had recently been threatened by another employee and that investigators have told her they are “following leads.”
Thank you for digging these out. I didn't mean to make work for you @PayrollNerd! So thank you.
I had seen those points but I hadn't seen where LE confirmed that the suspect is the same former colleague that threatened her. Of course it seems very likely, particularly now that we know she was shot in the back. :(

That's a long drive for the perp (from Headland to Jim's Buffet in Marianna)...about an hour to go to work, but I guess if you have a record it's best to go to another state for a job.

I agree. It says she and he had been in touch, as if they were in touch on social media, calls/texts, or perhaps dating apps. My opinion only. Another criminal let out to go on to kill someone. I'm so sorry for her.
Right. This is what was said:

Reporter - Sheriff said he's not sure about the motive as it's still under investigation, but he said the two did know each other.

Sheriff - That's what led us to interview the suspect initially, but the depth of their relationship is uncertain at this time.

Source

I'm still not buying it was the co-worker. If it was then they have the motive and they would also know the depth of their relationship.

Also, is this guy even employable?

In 2021, he was back in custody and charged with aggravated battery in a case involving a man whose throat was cut. Those cases appear to be pending in Dougherty County court.

McCloud’s other arrests, according to records, include violating sex offender registration laws, making terror threats, robbery, and criminal mischief.

Source

This is just heartbreaking to read.

Snip:

......believes they consensually met last week, but four months pregnant, Gilley wanted to escape him after they crossed into Alabama.

“We realized in Houston County she was being held against her will,” Valenza said the investigation revealed.

......preliminary indications are McCloud shot her, though reluctant to disclose that as the cause of death until autopsy results are available.

This is just heartbreaking to read.

Snip:

......believes they consensually met last week, but four months pregnant, Gilley wanted to escape him after they crossed into Alabama.

“We realized in Houston County she was being held against her will,” Valenza said the investigation revealed.

......preliminary indications are McCloud shot her, though reluctant to disclose that as the cause of death until autopsy results are available.
In reading the article and other statements, or reading between the lines, it seems (IMO) that maybe they were friends / dating, and DM wasn't the co-worker some have suspected. Any chance DM could have been the father of the unborn child and this became a domestic issue that led to her death?

In reading the article and other statements, or reading between the lines, it seems (IMO) that maybe they were friends / dating, and DM wasn't the co-worker some have suspected. Any chance DM could have been the father of the unborn child and this became a domestic issue that led to her death?
I agree. There is no mention of them being former colleagues and they imply she met with him consensually.
This poor young woman went through a lot in life. Some people just aren't dealt a good hand. And then it can be difficult to make good decisions. (NOT implying that anything she did was her fault or that she deserved what happened to her!)

It does seem that she had some people around her who cared. My thoughts are with them and I thank them for being there in her life.

Rest in peace Anastasia. You deserved more from life.

JCSO said Marquis Devan McCloud, 33, of Alabama, was arrested on a charge of capital murder during a first-degree kidnapping. McCloud had been in custody since earlier in the week.

“The suspect has been uncooperative throughout this entire investigation," the Sheriff's Office said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vingigi
Back