FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking to my DH earlier this morning, who grew up in Florida. He said the best thing once the boat capsizes, is they either have the lifevests already on or they can use a cooler or something else that can float and hang on for dear life.

It is a nice gesture by Mr. Namath but he is more then a neighbor. There is history in the tabloids with his daughter and a member of of Austin's family. I'm sure the families have been close over the years and Austin is like family to him. IMO it's not the publicity but just a nice gesture by someone who is probably feeling the pain of a missing loved one also and would rather keep the personal stuff out and focus on finding the boys.

Post on the FB group states that they may have tried to make a raft or floatation device out of the engine cover and a YETI cooler. Also, it may have been mentioned already, but the US Navy is involved in the search now also. I believe Fox 29 posted that.

Joe Namath has lived in the area for a long time, the reward doesn't really surprise me. Like others have said, it's incentive.

IMO watching the news footage last night there is so much pain in J Namath's face as he spoke of praying for a good outcome. Not only the money for resources, but JN name,face & voice brings more media, thus more: awareness...word of mouth..be on the look out for anything unusual...help if you can.
God speed.

JMO

IMO watching the news footage last night there is so much pain in J Namath's face as he spoke of praying for a good outcome. Not only the money for resources, but JN name,face & voice brings more media, thus more: awareness...word of mouth..be on the look out for anything unusual...help if you can.
God speed.

JMO
That's what I was gonna say....

What I saw was a upset, worried, empathetic neighbor who feels helpless in the situation. When you feel like that, you just start doing whatever you can that you think might help. In Namath's case, it was to give money that he thought might help.

A few of you have mentioned them checking the weather before the set out, but on the coast thunderstorms pop up without warning and can be very strong. Without a gps there is really no way to know unless you see it coming towards you. They can be quick and move on through in 15 minutes and the sun is shining again. So it may very well have been a beautiful day with pop up thunderstorms. Prayers for the boys and the families!

Problem with this is we've been aware of our weather situation, where there was even talk of the storm turning into a tropical storm. It wasn't our typical afternoon thunderstorm. You could even see the circulation of the storm on the radar. It was pretty cool.

Do I expect two 14-year-old boys to be paying such close attention to the weather? Not typically, but when you have two 14-year-old boys going on a fishing trip by themselves, I do expect them to know. At least the adults responsible for them should have known and in my honest opinion... they should have not been allowed to go. Not in these circumstances. Especially without a GPS.

Please don't take this to mean that I am blaming anyone for what has happened. I feel terrible for all involved. I am just trying to point out that the weather was not a typical day here and that it was extremely dangerous from the get go.

My initial reaction to these boys missing was not their age and not them being by themselves, but "in this weather?!?" Their age and them being alone was not an issue for me. The weather was.

they are not allowed to take the boat out into the ocean.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ng-florida-coast-offer-100-000-reward-n398606

Based on a social media posting by the boys, authorities initially believed they may have been headed toward the Bahamas, but after speaking with the parents, learned that the boys typically do not go farther than an offshore ledge that drops 200 to 300 feet, he said.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-missing-jupiter-boys-coast-guard-20150725-story.html

Joe Namath has plenty of money so he may be helping pay for searches AND be fronting the reward money. The reward money is incentive to get MORE people out here looking, which will greatly increase the odds of these boys being found if they are floating.

There is a Palm Beach Post interview with the Marina Clerk, who was the last person to see them, can someone post the link? My phone is being less than cooperative. ETA- nevermind! I got it finally. ��

http://m.palmbeachpost.com/news/new...er-i-was-the-last-to-see-the-missing-t/nm7Jn/

That's encouraging that he did not think they were heading to the Bahamas.
I'm staying positive.
They were friends,a team,experienced on & loved the water.
I'm sure they know ways to stay focused & push past comfort levels.
God speed

JMO

Sad to hear that the parents did not even know whether there were lifejackets on the boat.

In Louisiana anyone under the age of 17 is required to wear a life jacket in a moving boat. Also the vessel is required to have a life vest for every person on board. I know most kids at that age left to their own devices wouldn't be wearing one as they all claim it's hot and restrictive. I would imagine Florida has similar laws but I don't know for sure. I'm surprised that the parents didn't know if there were life vests on their boat.

"Here is a breakdown of Florida life jacket laws:

All recreational vessels must have at least one personal flotation device (PFD) that is U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) approved and of the proper size for each person on boat
Vessels 16 feet or longer must have one “throwable” Type IV PFD which is USCG approved and immediately available
Children under six years old must wear a USCG approved life jacket at all times on any vessel less than 26 feet in length that is underway in Florida waters
Children under 13 years of age on vessels operating on waters outside the geographical boundaries of Florida must wear a USCG approved PFD unless the child is below deck or in an enclosed cabin
Each person on a personal watercraft (PWC), such as a Wave Runner or Jet Ski, must wear a USCG approved life jacket"

From- http://www.vilesandbeckman.com/blog/life-jacket-laws-in-florida/

Obviously I can't say for sure, but I'm willing to bet they were not wearing life jackets. It's not required by law to wear them, and people just don't. Things like that happen to "other people, not me"; sad to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question: if a boat capsizes would one try to hold on to the sides as best and as long as possible? Or is that dangerous?

One might automatically try to hold onto sides, but in high seas with large swells, is indeed dangerous. I had it happen to me once and was thrown into the boat and hit my head in high swells... e.g. imagine those water parks with waves and holding onto something that you would get thrown into with a swell.... good for low waves, Baaad in a storm :moo:

Also, in that video I see a line wrapped around the back motor. And they are discussing anchor? If anyone else wants to try to transcribe as I'm not good with :earson: (Note: it's a cropped video, yet I cannot see the times well so didn't put it in the transcription below

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/4167...psized-boat-search-missing-teens#.VbadWfmGMSa

it sounded like they said ??diver/helicopter/somewhere else directing in transcript ??? (If someone else wants to take a go at correcting and adding to this, please do! :daisy: :tyou:)

"radio out

(garbled)

Transformer 07 go ahead

(garbled)

that the (garbled) echo (garbled) it was drifting

(garbled)

I didn't copy that first part

I heard somebody here but it sounded like he was saying it was drifting too, kinda anchored, zero POB

(skips to :41 on edit) Zero POB.

Zero?

Zero POB

understand zero.

277 (garbled)

He just confirmed nobody's on board so they are trying to find any other gear we'll wanna know tag number with (garbled) conditions

was it a Yamaha engine?

It looks like (overtalk)

We'll take your word for it it's kinda (garbled) uh we'll confirm the make of the engine.

thank you sir

(Garbled)

(garbled).... There's no cover over

there's no cover over

Sarge (garbled) roger no cover on the motor over"

I hadn't caught the reference to the anchor before I did the transcription and made me look at the video again.

Another thing I as a boater off the Florida coast was told NEVER to do is to try to anchor when there are large swells in a storm as that in itself may capsize the boat. :moo:

In the fb group someone said they anchored the boat in place when they found it and searched around it.
Maybe that's what they were referring to?

60 something miles offshore is way too deep for an anchor as far as I'm aware....

Oh... Duh. You mean that they may have anchored wherever they were and it broke loose after whatever happened. Yeah, I'm not so smart today. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One might automatically try to hold onto sides, but in high seas with large swells, is indeed dangerous. I had it happen to me once and was thrown into the boat and hit my head in high swells... e.g. imagine those water parks with waves and holding onto something that you would get thrown into with a swell.... good for low waves, Baaad in a storm :moo:

Also, in that video I see a line wrapped around the back motor. And they are discussing anchor? If anyone else wants to try to transcribe as I'm not good with :earson: (Note: it's a cropped video, yet I cannot see the times well so didn't put it in the transcription below

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/4167...psized-boat-search-missing-teens#.VbadWfmGMSa

it sounded like they said ??diver/helicopter/somewhere else directing in transcript ??? (If someone else wants to take a go at correcting and adding to this, please do! :daisy: :tyou:)

"radio out

(garbled)

Transformer 07 go ahead

(garbled)

that the (garbled) echo (garbled) it was drifting

(garbled)

I didn't copy that first part

I heard somebody here but it sounded like he was saying it was drifting too, kinda anchored, zero POV

(skips to :41 on edit) Zero POV.

Zero?

Zero POV

understand zero.

277 (garbled)

He just confirmed nobody's on board so they are trying to find any other gear we'll wanna know tag number with (garbled) conditions

was it a Yamaha engine?

It looks like (overtalk)

We'll take your word for it it's kinda (garbled) uh we'll confirm the make of the engine.

thank you sir

(Garbled)

(garbled).... There's no cover over

there's no cover over

Sarge (garbled) roger no cover on the motor over"

I hadn't caught the reference to the anchor before I did the transcription and made me look at the video again.

Another thing I as a boater off the Florida coast was told NEVER to do is to try to anchor when there are large swells in a storm as that in itself may capsize the boat. :moo:

I think it is POB----Persons on Board......

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member