FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snipped by me.

I have seen similar thoughts from others. I think it is important to point out that the Jupiter Inlet is extremely dangerous. You can't even break your focus to talk to someone on your own boat. Forget trying to maneuver your boat to talk to someone going in the opposite direction. It is impossible.

There is a reason it is designated as unnavigable by the CG.

I understand, just looked at my whole post and realized a part of it didn't get typed.. sometimes that happens..sorry what I meant to say if it was possible that they could have warned them. Weird how that didn't get typed, I was thinking it. After I typed it I thought, well how could they have? Thats when I thought I added it. I don't live near the ocean, so I don't know why I thought it was possible. Thanks for clarifying.

Snipped by me.

I have seen similar thoughts from others. I think it is important to point out that the Jupiter Inlet is extremely dangerous. You can't even break your focus to talk to someone on your own boat. Forget trying to maneuver your boat to talk to someone going in the opposite direction. It is impossible.

There is a reason it is designated as unnavigable by the CG.

Has there been any backlash to shut it down or create funds with in the city budget to make it better?

Has there been any backlash to shut it down or create funds with in the city budget to make it better?

It is impossible to make it safer from an environmental perspective. There are alternative inlets north and south that are safer.

We don't know that someone didn't say something to the 2 boys as they continued out toward the ocean as the storm was moving in. Could have been as simple as 1 person yelling, "looks bad out there, guys..."

You're welcome.

As someone else said, it is a shame they didn't have a radio. Otherwise, they could have been warned or called in for help when things went awry. I firmy believe their engine conked out, which ultimately led to the capsizing. If they had been able to call for help, they would he had some chance.

It is also a shame they didn't have an EPIRB, which would have also been instrumental in possibly finding them alive. It is so twisted that Austin's stepfather owns a marine supply store but they didn't have such basic safety equipment on board.

Things are getting crazier on the FB page, someone is selling tshirts for $25 " #FindAustinandPerry I will never never never give up " some of the money goes to the search fund.

I honestly think that people who believe they are still alive will maintain this belief for...a really long time. They will likely move on to other cases eventually but I bet they will always have ~hope that the boys will come home one day. It seems like this fundamental belief they have, basically deep inside them, that I can't see a lot of them saying in a few months, "You know, I think the boys drowned back on 7/24 even though I've thought for the past four months, that they made it to a tropical island". No way. It's like a lot of them would be going against their religious or spiritual beliefs (in their minds) if they stop believing the boys are still alive. They don't care about how impossible something is, that's why miracles exist. It doesn't matter that pirates are non-existant in the waters they went missing from, they still could have been taken by them. I wondered if they've seen Pinnochio---don't they know that it's possible to survive being swallowed by a whale? Oops...I just gave them a new idea!

I think there is a deep psychological need at work here - people want to witness a miracle happening.

I agree. We all want to hope this story will end well. I think it unlikely, but for the parents I understand why they would keep the search going. They need to physically see their children, however they may be returned to them. Often a turning point for many investigations into missing children occurs when the search moves from a rescue mission into 'recovery.' We look in different places.

I had a childhood friend whose brother was lost in the Pacific Ocean, and she and her family felt they would only be able to truly accept his death if they found his body. It is a horrible limbo for those parents to endure.

My prayers are with anyone who has lost a loved one this way.

I

Wow.
I watched some youtubes boaters have posted of that Inlet.
It looks so fast & dangerous.

forgive if post previously...
it's the video capture of possibly the boys leaving the inlet
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ofnyug3oCuo

JMO

Wait a minute. I thought the condition were really bad as they were going out. Boats were coming in etc. A guy on a boat heading in was surprised the kids were going out. That video makes the conditions look pretty good. Not much wind, actually looks glassy. Even as the storm came in in the later video it's not that bad at that time. No white caps and some rain. I'm sure later it got bad but at the time of the video which they're saying was their boat I can see going out at time and wouldn't fault the boys for going out if in fact that is their boat.

Wait a minute. I thought the condition were really bad as they were going out. Boats were coming in etc. A guy on a boat heading in was surprised the kids were going out. That video makes the conditions look pretty good. Not much wind, actually looks glassy. Even as the storm came in in the later video it's not that bad at that time. No white caps and some rain. I'm sure later it got bad but at the time of the video which they're saying was their boat I can see going out at time and wouldn't fault the boys for going out if in fact that is their boat.

The shot is facing east. The storm is coming from the west. Hence, that view looks nice and sunny. But the reality was there was a wicked storm behind the camera.

Most summer storms come from the west down here.

There is video of a boat out on the ocean not much later. I will see if I can find it.

This is a video of the ocean conditions off of Jupiter Inlet on the day and time the boys left. This is a Twitter account, but if is the official Twitter for WPTV channel 5 news. @JayCashmere is a local West Palm news anchor/reporter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WPTV/status/626117210298318848/video/1

*I know there was a question on here earlier about when the boys left. Although they may have gotten gas between 10 and 11 AM, they were observed heading out of Jupiter Inlet as the storm was approaching between 1:30 and 2. A commercial fisherman that was coming in as the boys were leaving said he was having difficulty controlling his much larger boat.

Bumping... I believe this is the video ZL is referring to.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

About 8 days ago on one of the stores about the boys someone posted : Palm County, FL. Public records reflect Austin Stephanos (age 13 at time) pled guilty on 11/14/2014 t for failure to maintain safety equipment on a vessel cited on 10/28/2014. A $90 fine was paid

stating that he was not wearing a life jacket. But he was 13 years old! He should not have even been operating a vessel! Seems that would have been a huge flag to the parents. I fear this could be a repeat offense and this time it cost a whole lot more - I am so sorry for the parents loss.

About 8 days ago on one of the stores about the boys someone posted : Palm County, FL. Public records reflect Austin Stephanos (age 13 at time) pled guilty on 11/14/2014 t for failure to maintain safety equipment on a vessel cited on 10/28/2014. A $90 fine was paid

stating that he was not wearing a life jacket. But he was 13 years old! He should not have even been operating a vessel! Seems that would have been a huge flag to the parents. I fear this could be a repeat offense and this time it cost a whole lot more - I am so sorry for the parents loss.

I saw that the other day when I read a few things on that page on Facebook. Also... SM rumor has it "one of the parents are suing the boat owner". If true that could be why they haven't been in the media lately.

Bumping... I believe this is the video SO is referring to.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WPTV/status/626117210298318848

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

https://mobile.twitter.com/WPTV/status/626117210298318848
Thanks for reposting this link, somehow I missed it in annahanna's post

And that about says it all - to me anyway :(
No pirates, gunshots, aliens...

BTW I also noticed there were no lifejackets being worn on this craft in these poor conditions either - so my question to boaters is, just how bad does it have to be before you grab 'em and throw them on?

I saw that the other day when I read a few things on that page on Facebook. Also... SM rumor has it "one of the parents are suing the boat owner". If true that could be why they haven't been in the media lately.

Sadly that doesn't surprise me one bit

Who's the boat owner? The parents of Austin or Perry? Or do you mean the company that makes the boat? Anyway, I don't know much about lawsuits but it seems like I always hear about them being filed a year or so after the incident, so I always figured there was this lengthy process one had to go through. So it has to be the beginning stages, and it may not even be true, but if it is, the backlash will be off the charts.

The FB page...recent comment by Austin's dad , thanking everyone and never never never give up. Truly heartbreaking !

I read some of the posts by the followers ...emailing local officials with the coordinates given to them by a psychic has really taken on steam. The tshirt sales are doing well.

The first post on the page is the comment by Austin's dad . It wasn't heartwrenching , it was appreciative , polite . And so out of place compared to the feeling I get from the other posts. Since reading the posts of the followers , I have felt uneasy . I am certain they mean well but I felt like I was watching a crowd of people trying to outdo one another with their prayers, or their willingness to do whatever it takes to find the boys. I suppose it should of restored my faith in humanity for so many to be so determined to never give up but it made me sad. They all seem to of been starving to find something that matters in their lives and now they are holding onto it for dear life. Or they want to be the one who solves where the boys are. If their " help " is bringing comfort to the families , that is good , I guess. Maybe I feel guilty , like I am gawking at a car accident or watching a train wreck. Idk...it's just sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine