Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In genealogy-speak, it means that the African ancestry is estimated to have come from a direct ancestor, the most recent being a great-grandparent (1x great but could have come great-great, great-great-great, great-great-great-great, great-great-great-great-great, or great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparents (6x great). (When you type "great" that many times you start to think it looks strange and wonder if you're spelling it correctly anymore.) It other words, it's not very helpful information unless you're helping someone build a family tree. It's not likely to help us here.

What is your source for that info about this UID. I have never heard anything about this UID's genetic ancestry. Last I heard they had not done a genelogical DNA test and had no plans to do so. The sherrif's office representative cited Florida laws as the reason they could not do genealogical DNA right now. Perhaps you have this case confused with another one?

I would like to know if they have found a way to do geneological DNA research in this case. I don't understand why DNA Doe Project can work on cases from other Florida counties but not this one. LE's reasons for not doing genealogical DNA doesn't make any sense to me. Money should not be an issue either since so many people know about Denim/Mostly Harless. The couple thousand needed for testing would be raised quickly with DDP's Doe-fund-me.

MOO.

ETA: :oops: Sorry ATheLibrarian I thought you were the OP making the claim about Denim having mixed race DNA. I should have checked the usernames closer. I think that info about his possible genetic ancestry should be treated as rumor until we know the source.

Last edited:
What is your source for that info about this UID. I have never heard anything about this UID's genetic ancestry. Last I heard they had not done a genelogical DNA test and had no plans to do so. The sherrif's office representative cited Florida laws as the reason they could not do genealogical DNA right now. Perhaps you have this case confused with another one?

I would like to know if they have found a way to do geneological DNA research in this case. I don't understand why DNA Doe Project can work on cases from other Florida counties but not this one. LE's reasons for not doing genealogical DNA doesn't make any sense to me. Money should not be an issue either since so many people know about Denim/Mostly Harless. The couple thousand needed for testing would be raised quickly with DDP's Doe-fund-me.

MOO.

I do not think Librarian is the one who stated that info about MH being mixed race, he/she was merely explaining what 1/6 meant.

@Kodiak had stated that MH is mixed race but has not replied with a source for that info.

ETA - I just re-read the OP that says he is multi racial and I think it may have been the poster's opinion/guess.

I do not think Librarian is the one who stated that info about MH being mixed race, he/she was merely explaining what 1/6 meant.

@Kodiak had stated that MH is mixed race but has not replied with a source for that info.

ETA - I just re-read the OP that says he is multi racial and I think it may have been the poster's opinion/guess.

Aha, thank you bears10. I should have read back and checked the user names from the original posts. I'm taking that info as a "rumor" until Kodiak or someone else can give us a source.

Aha, thank you bears10. I should have read back and checked the user names from the original posts. I'm taking that info as a "rumor" until Kodiak or someone else can give us a source.

Agree and annoyed at myself that I wasted quite a bit of time trying to research a source for that info lol. It only hit me when I just re-read the post that I think they are throwing ideas around. Oops.

Agree and annoyed at myself that I wasted quite a bit of time trying to research a source for that info lol. It only hit me when I just re-read the post that I think they are throwing ideas around. Oops.

I was about to listen to the podcast again thinking I somehow missed that info. I've listened to it at least 3 times now. Lol. I wish we really had some new info about Denim. This case seems to be going nowhere if they don't do genealogical DNA. Otherwise we have to hope his family or someone he worked with before he started his hike sees the posters and recognizes him. It seems like he may have cut all ties before starting off on his hike. :(

MOO.

While looking at the “MY DASHBOARD” page on namus.gov this morning, I noticed that Denim/MH’s profile had been modified as of July 5th. So I looked at his profile, and it appears that another missing person has been added to the exclusion list:

NamUs #MP7406: Shaun David Steward, Male, White / Caucasian;
Date of Last Contact: February 1, 2008;
NamUs Case Created: June 8, 2010;
Missing From: Phoenix, Arizona;
Current Age: 41 Years;
Height: 5' 6" - 5' 7" (66 - 67 Inches);
Weight: 170 - 180 lbs;

Circumstances of Disappearance:
On 02/01/08 Shaun Steward was last reported to be living in the area of North 7th Avenue and West Indian School Road. Although living a transitory lifestyle, Shaun would typically contact his family during the holidays. Shaun has not been seen or heard from since February of 2008.

Hair Color: Brown;
Left Eye Color: Blue;
Right Eye Color: Blue;
Scar/mark: Scar on left arm
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

It may just be me, but this latest exclusion stands out from the previous ones in that, IMO, there are quite a few similarities in physical attributes between the MP and Denim/MH.
5C3E2F6B-009D-482F-B974-E1121B54A800.jpeg 734B8A4E-1C79-438B-8ECD-65B5FFA85334.jpeg 0FD4DFB9-1605-495F-A98F-107E1A8A2E3A.jpeg 59FD80E7-CFA7-4975-A032-585BD692E0A3.jpeg 3883F459-F06A-4BF9-B124-FA325305D1CB.jpeg 95DDE4BA-AE66-43AF-863B-28F962046305.jpeg
In two weeks, it will be a year since his remains were found. I wonder if LE has the DNA test results back yet. If they do, I hope that the information will allow them to utilize databases they might not have been able to before.

While looking at the “MY DASHBOARD” page on namus.gov this morning, I noticed that Denim/MH’s profile had been modified as of July 5th. So I looked at his profile, and it appears that another missing person has been added to the exclusion list:

NamUs #MP7406: Shaun David Steward, Male, White / Caucasian;
Date of Last Contact: February 1, 2008;
NamUs Case Created: June 8, 2010;
Missing From: Phoenix, Arizona;
Current Age: 41 Years;
Height: 5' 6" - 5' 7" (66 - 67 Inches);
Weight: 170 - 180 lbs;

Circumstances of Disappearance:
On 02/01/08 Shaun Steward was last reported to be living in the area of North 7th Avenue and West Indian School Road. Although living a transitory lifestyle, Shaun would typically contact his family during the holidays. Shaun has not been seen or heard from since February of 2008.

Hair Color: Brown;
Left Eye Color: Blue;
Right Eye Color: Blue;
Scar/mark: Scar on left arm

It may just be me, but this latest exclusion stands out from the previous ones in that, IMO, there are quite a few similarities in physical attributes between the MP and Denim/MH.
View attachment 192745 View attachment 192746 View attachment 192747 View attachment 192748 View attachment 192749 View attachment 192750
In two weeks, it will be a year since his remains were found. I wonder if LE has the DNA test results back yet. If they do, I hope that the information will allow them to utilize databases they might not have been able to before.

Thanks for that info IMHO!

I didn't see a thread for Shaun so I started one:
AZ - AZ - Shaun David Steward, 29, Phoenix, 1 Feb 2008

I don't believe it's him. One thing that LE did say was Mostly Harmless had perfect teeth, no dental work. His perfect teeth were the reason they showcased them in the sketch that was released of him before actual pictures were matched to him.
The teeth were the reason I posted him as a possible match, they both have the same upward slant on the upper set.

Could someone please look at Dale Godfrey, Lebanon, Maine. Do I just need new glasses?

My first post got deleted. I’m assuming it’s because there was an address, name and phone number on it, so I hid those details.
I was doing some research last night and came across this. I’m like everyone else, and this case really bothers me. This is a computer company called Mostly Harmless, LLC and as you can see it’s in Brooklyn, New York AND it’s a little over an hour from where the UID said he stayed for 2 weeks before starting his journey. From what I can tell, the owner of the company (the only employee) is alive and well, but maybe Demin/Mostly Harmless knew it was there, or had heard of it, or maybe lived close by? It could be a coincidence, or maybe I’m really just looking into too much and everything is starting to make sense, but in reality, it really isn’t? I looked up the address on Google Earth, and it’s literally a string of townhouses. Anyone have any other input?

This is impressive! Great research, Jgreen88!

My first post got deleted. I’m assuming it’s because there was an address, name and phone number on it, so I hid those details.
I was doing some research last night and came across this. I’m like everyone else, and this case really bothers me. This is a computer company called Mostly Harmless, LLC and as you can see it’s in Brooklyn, New York AND it’s a little over an hour from where the UID said he stayed for 2 weeks before starting his journey. From what I can tell, the owner of the company (the only employee) is alive and well, but maybe Demin/Mostly Harmless knew it was there, or had heard of it, or maybe lived close by? It could be a coincidence, or maybe I’m really just looking into too much and everything is starting to make sense, but in reality, it really isn’t? I looked up the address on Google Earth, and it’s literally a string of townhouses. Anyone have any other input?
The owner is alive and well and active on Facebook. I think the nickname probably has more to do with the Adams book. What a great lead, though!

I did a quick google search and it looks like the business was established in 2016. A quick search of that owner pulls up some info, but nothing alarming/noticeable. The address listed is zoned for 6 or so residential units, as well as two, ground-level retail spaces.

I did a quick google search and it looks like the business was established in 2016. A quick search of that owner pulls up some info, but nothing alarming/noticeable. The address listed is zoned for 6 or so residential units, as well as two, ground-level retail spaces.
I did a little stalking on Facebook and google myself. Found relatives and such, but it was just coincidental that the address for the company isn’t far from where he stayed. It all tied together and made sense at 1:00 this morning. I also found that there is a record store in Canada called “It’s Mostly Harmless.”
I figured it’s probably tied to the book, but it was worth a shot.

Cecil Whitt III

Couldn't find much on him--just a photo and date missing. Nothing in NamUs that I could find or anywhere else. Found what may have been his old FB page with one pic on it from 2012 and his linkedin profile with the pic below. Hairline seems to match, ears and eyes--although no color mentioned..has the crease between eyes as well. Lived in Weston WV but worked in Washingtonville PA area. He was last seen in late March/April 2017--His age may be 57
Cecil Whitt III has been reported as a missing person. Mr. Whit was last heard f... - Raleigh County Sheriff
https://www.linkedin.com/in/cecil-whitt-62667a71

Cecil whitt
leadman at Taggart Global
Weston, West Virginia
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
cecil-whitt-iii-has-been-reported-as-a-missing-person-mr-whit-was-last-heard-f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody