Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, cannot recall this one- it seems that in each pic including pm, i get a different sense of how he looked and who he might be, imo.

I agree. Certain photos of him earlier on he looks so vibrant, and healthy. It almost doesn’t look like the later photos where he had lost so much weight and had the big beard. The one where he had a shave looked incredibly different and the one posted at the table with The blue bandana on look nothing like the other photos at.all.

re-post
Florida police struggle to identify dead hiker who used 'Denim' and 'Mostly Harmless' nicknames | Daily Mail Online
4F1EB60900000578-6064171-Investigators_are_trying_to_identify_a_man_who_stayed_at_hostels-a-11_1534357661927.jpg

4F1EB60400000578-6064171-image-a-42_1534354966272.jpg

''The notice states the 5ft 8in man also went by the nicknames 'Denim' and 'Mostly Harmless'. He weighed only 83lb when he passed away and is believed to have died within a few days of being found.

Investigators think he was living in the park and the unidentified man is noted as having teeth in 'excellent condition' and had grown a 'salt & pepper' color beard.

When he was discovered five miles north from the I-75 and 63 MM rest stop inside a yellow Brooks-Range Mountaineering 2-person tent (Foray model).

The deceased hiker was wearing a beige shirt, green shorts, and black Saloman hiking boots.''

Patch

From previous comments, I am under the impression @Narkj has the autopsy report
Or has at least seen it so it’s probably accessible through a FOIL request.
The only cause of death I’ve read anywhere was “starvation”. I keep thinking the starvation was due to him being ill and not being able to eat. Perhaps from Giardiasis or something.

If he purposely stopped eating... well, that’s just beyond awful. A slow and painful death, both mentally and physically. I mean, people can go what, a month without food as long as they have water. Did he stop drinking water as well, became dehydrated ? Why would anyone do that? Unless they had an eating disorder. Really sad and tragic either way.

Last edited:
re-post
Florida police struggle to identify dead hiker who used 'Denim' and 'Mostly Harmless' nicknames | Daily Mail Online
4F1EB60900000578-6064171-Investigators_are_trying_to_identify_a_man_who_stayed_at_hostels-a-11_1534357661927.jpg

4F1EB60400000578-6064171-image-a-42_1534354966272.jpg

''The notice states the 5ft 8in man also went by the nicknames 'Denim' and 'Mostly Harmless'. He weighed only 83lb when he passed away and is believed to have died within a few days of being found.

Investigators think he was living in the park and the unidentified man is noted as having teeth in 'excellent condition' and had grown a 'salt & pepper' color beard.

When he was discovered five miles north from the I-75 and 63 MM rest stop inside a yellow Brooks-Range Mountaineering 2-person tent (Foray model).

The deceased hiker was wearing a beige shirt, green shorts, and black Saloman hiking boots.''

Patch

It’s such a mystery in and of itself why he was so intent on remaining anonymous.
From this article:

Mike Gormley, another trail angel, was the last known person to see Mostly Harmless, according to the podcast. Mostly Harmless told Gormley he was headed toward Key West with a 50-pound pack on his back in Florida's mounting heat, and the Trail Angel became concerned.

"I even offered to him to take his winter clothes off him and mail them back to him, but he declined," Gormley says. "If he was trying to stay anonymous, that would be one giveaway."

The only cause of death I’ve read anywhere was “starvation”. I keep thinking the starvation was due to him being ill and not being able to eat. If he purposely stopped eating... well, that’s just beyond awful. A slow and painful death, both mentally and physically. Why would anyone do that? Unless they had an eating disorder. Really sad and tragic either way.

I think he had an underlying medical condition that exihibited symptoms that made it impossible for him to eat or even move. There's been speculation that he may have started this journey because he was given a medical diagnosis that may have prevented him from doing this hike later. He may have thought the illness would not have progressed so quickly. Any way you slice it, it is really tragic. He seemed like such an amiable, intelligent man who made friends easily.

I think he had an underlying medical condition that exihibited symptoms that made it impossible for him to eat or even move. There's been speculation that he may have started this journey because he was given a medical diagnosis that may have prevented him from doing this hike later. He may have thought the illness would not have progressed so quickly. Any way you slice it, it is really tragic. He seemed like such an amiable, intelligent man who made friends easily.

I remember the speculation about the medical diagnosis when he started on the journey, but I can't pinpoint who stated that other than a hiker who met him. Are there links to this information... like what Denim said?

I'm sure it's been discussed many, many times before but can someone remind me why this medical condition wouldn't be mentioned in the missing persons information? Does LE withhold this type of info solely based on privacy factors?

I remember the speculation about the medical diagnosis when he started on the journey, but I can't pinpoint who stated that other than a hiker who met him. Are there links to this information... like what Denim said?

I'm sure it's been discussed many, many times before but can someone remind me why this medical condition wouldn't be mentioned in the missing persons information? Does LE withhold this type of info solely based on privacy factors?

I don't think law enforcement retained information regarding Denim's health in regards to the autopsy. Most of the information that WSer's have garnered regarding his health is based on anecdotal information gleaned from conversations he had with those he met on the trail. Several mentioned he stated he had lost a significant amount of weight (whether than was related to a diagnosis is unclear) but also that he wanted to do the trail before he would be unable to.

I don't think law enforcement retained information regarding Denim's health in regards to the autopsy. Most of the information that WSer's have garnered regarding his health is based on anecdotal information gleaned from conversations he had with those he met on the trail. Several mentioned he stated he had lost a significant amount of weight (whether than was related to a diagnosis is unclear) but also that he wanted to do the trail before he would be unable to.
What are you saying, that LE doesn't have access to Denim's autopsy ? That doesn't sound right to me. I think I'm misunderstanding, so just asking. TIA

What are you saying, that LE doesn't have access to Denim's autopsy ? That doesn't sound right to me. I think I'm misunderstanding, so just asking. TIA

No, that's fine, it does get confusing over the course of the thread. Of course LE have access to his autopsy report but the state of Florida is not obligated to release the findings to the public. They did release his actual cause of death was starvation but we wonder if there was some underlying issue with him, health wise.

Over the course of Denim's travels on the AT and then down the Florida trail, many fellow travellers mentioned he said he had some health concerns and wanted to do the trail before he was unable to.

No, that's fine, it does get confusing over the course of the thread. Of course LE have access to his autopsy report but the state of Florida is not obligated to release the findings to the public. They did release his actual cause of death was starvation but we wonder if there was some underlying issue with him, health wise.

Over the course of Denim's travels on the AT and then down the Florida trail, many fellow travellers mentioned he said he had some health concerns and wanted to do the trail before he was unable to.

The state of Florida may not be obligated to share autopsy report findings to the public. However, IF a serious medical issue was present, my question was why his missing persons report didn't include, "This UID may have been suffering from... ", or "This UID may have been diagnosed with ... ".

Releasing this type of information seems helpful because there could be physicians or medical staff who might remember him IF he had a medical diagnosis and sought help for any symptoms. Sometimes physicians don't easily remember faces as easily as they remember cases/conditions.

jmo

I don’t see why he wouldn’t want to share, we are all just trying to give MH his name back. We all have the same goal, no sense in keeping information to ourselves. Jmo

Well, there may have been expenditures involved in obtaining those records, so it's totally up to @Narkj to decide what to share. JMO

Hi all! Long time follower of this case, especially as it hits so close to home - I work in Front Royal, VA (where first photos of Denim were taken). Baffles me that he has not been identified, and it is my sincere hope he gets his name back soon.
Since I haven't seen it posted here, I wanted to point out that a recent comment was made on a Collier County Sheriff's Office FB post claiming that MH's MeetUp page may have been found. The poster did not cite where they received this information nor did they provide any additional information. I have not seen this information shared anywhere else but you all may know about more discussion boards than I do, so maybe someone else has heard this?

This is incredibly interesting, though I doubt it will lead to any breakthroughs with MH:

There is a Dr. Who (it has been mentioned that MH was a Dr. Who fan) themed bar in Brooklyn (A place that has been mentioned frequently with MH). The homepage advertises "The Cocktail Guide To The Galaxy". (Mostly Harmless may or may not be a reference to the fifth book in the series Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy).

Bar website: https://www.thewaystationbk.com/

Well, there may have been expenditures involved in obtaining those records, so it's totally up to @Narkj to decide what to share. JMO

AFAIK, Narkj has the same information that we all have: that Denim/MH died of starvation. I suppose any of us could request the autopsy results through FOIA and pay for the associated costs.

In the specific case I mentioned up thread, the Florida autopsy result provided an incredible amount of information over and above the cause of death. It provided background as to why a young female died of drowning. TBH, in that case, I don't know why the results were released to a total stranger. We were advised by WS not to post the results on an open thread.

In this case, because the UID is unknown, I agree that specific health issues could help to identify the individual. We know Denim starved but why?

Link to Collier County Medical Examiner.
Obtaining an Autopsy Report | Collier County, FL.

Here's a link to Florida's Public Records:
Florida Public Records Guide

AFAIK, Narkj has the same information that we all have: that Denim/MH died of starvation. I suppose any of us could request the autopsy results through FOIA and pay for the associated costs.

In the specific case I mentioned up thread, the Florida autopsy result provided an incredible amount of information over and above the cause of death. It provided background as to why a young female died of drowning. TBH, in that case, I don't know why the results were released to a total stranger. We were advised by WS not to post the results on an open thread.

In this case, because the UID is unknown, I agree that specific health issues could help to identify the individual. We know Denim starved but why?

Link to Collier County Medical Examiner.
Obtaining an Autopsy Report | Collier County, FL.

Here's a link to Florida's Public Records:
Florida Public Records Guide

I didn't suggest Narkj nor anyone else post an entire autopsy report on this thread, did I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChewieXM