Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning thought: Does anyone know if police have looked into stolen/lost wallets reports at police stations local to the trails?

I was reading a comment by Obsidian, who hiked with him for a bit and she was certain he paid for items with a card at least once and she saw him using a wallet.

I’m also really pleased to read that his dna will finally be used in genealogy tracing. I’ve long thought that was probably going to be the only way to find out who he was. Someone recognizing his face from a poster or stumbling across his case just seemed like a long shot even in this age of smartphones and social media.
I am not sure about lost/stolen wallets.

If he lost his wallet in Big Cypress he may not have reported it. Why? I know from my own personal correspondence with the detective on the case that MH was in Big Cypress without the required backcountry permit. These are available on the trailhead and there is typically a dropbox. You complete two, drop one in the box and keep the other on your person. All the paperwork they found from MH was either his trail name or the alias.

I'm wondering more about the simple explanation of an eating disorder as cause of death. As always, speculation, but:
- Narkj has posted that Obsidian mentioned he was overly obsessed with counting every single calorie during the many miles they hiked in the Virginia area, calculating distances in relation to caloric intake. (see anorexia: Signs of Eating Disorders: Types and Symptoms)
- Peculiar eating behavior has been documented: the photo where he clearly has eaten only the crust of a pizza.
- The small condition of the testicles, enough to warrant mention in the autopsy, would be a possible exhibit of anorexia or an eating disorder in a man (link to journal article, see last section: Anorexia nervosa – medical complications)
- Could explain the lack of any other major diseases or serious internal problems in the autopsy.
- The psychological effects of an eating disorder might have led him to not view his wasting condition as a problem perhaps until too late.

I wonder of he was obsessed with calories because he was once obese.

Makes me wonder if the scar is from gastric bypass, and he wanted to make sure the weight stayed off.

I also wonder if between the waterlogged feet and body position, could he have suffered from Tetanus and slowly died after becoming too stiff to go far, slowly dying of starvation?

I wonder of he was obsessed with calories because he was once obese.

Makes me wonder if the scar is from gastric bypass, and he wanted to make sure the weight stayed off.

I also wonder if between the waterlogged feet and body position, could he have suffered from Tetanus and slowly died after becoming too stiff to go far, slowly dying of starvation?
Three thoughts on a gastric bypass:
1. Wouldn't that have been notated on the autopsy?
2. Most gastric bypasses are done laparoscopically, they leave a few tiny incisions, not one big one.
3. He did not have excess skin or stretch marks typical of somebody who was previously morbidly obese.

I'm wondering more about the simple explanation of an eating disorder as cause of death. As always, speculation, but:
- Narkj has posted that Obsidian mentioned he was overly obsessed with counting every single calorie during the many miles they hiked in the Virginia area, calculating distances in relation to caloric intake. (see anorexia: Signs of Eating Disorders: Types and Symptoms)
- Peculiar eating behavior has been documented: the photo where he clearly has eaten only the crust of a pizza.
- The small condition of the testicles, enough to warrant mention in the autopsy, would be a possible exhibit of anorexia or an eating disorder in a man (link to journal article, see last section: Anorexia nervosa – medical complications)
- Could explain the lack of any other major diseases or serious internal problems in the autopsy.
- The psychological effects of an eating disorder might have led him to not view his wasting condition as a problem perhaps until too late.
I have wondered this same thing, as I had posted. You have added so many more details and information that makes it sound even more plausible, IMO. Thank you.

IMO - the mention of waterlogged feet. Perhaps like trench foot?

I enjoy backpacking and one thing that would make my hike absolutely miserable would be wet socks and shoes. My feet would take a serious beating. IMO, dry socks and feet are critical.

I am not sure about lost/stolen wallets.

If he lost his wallet in Big Cypress he may not have reported it. Why? I know from my own personal correspondence with the detective on the case that MH was in Big Cypress without the required backcountry permit. These are available on the trailhead and there is typically a dropbox. You complete two, drop one in the box and keep the other on your person. All the paperwork they found from MH was either his trail name or the alias.

thanks for that info, maybe he didn’t report it missing to any officials after all. But I’m still thinking about his wallet and credit/debit card Obsidian swore she noticed. If he lost it along the way I wonder if he tried to replace any cards or ID that he had been carrying with him. Calling it in as lost via a pay phone/hostel phone along the way or using a public computer. I don’t know how easy that would be to trace and rule out to be honest. So many rabbit holes to go down this case and most of them just hit walls.

Regarding the genealogy dna tracing - how will they be able to use his dna in this way and not violate any privacy laws (if they exist)? I thought that some companies such as Ancestory.com will not work with LE, and state they won't violate the privacy of members. I know that LE can use dna for the databases they work with and have access to, such as CODIS. Hopefully I have worded my question correctly.

The CCSO podcast has a lot of discussion around this. Episode 2 I think. They talk about LE DNA, how it is used and how LE DNA labs and forensic DNA are sort of like apples and oranges.

That's a good question considering very early in the investigation that LE wouldn't be using DNA.

I wonder if the release yesterday that Othram was getting involved is because of the widespread public interest in the case?

My only hope is IF he is identified this way the family agrees to release his name, and perhaps his story. I've seen a couple of cases where the family did not want to disclose and it devolved into psuedo doxxing of the deceased.

Random thought. I’ve heard of some thru-hikers becoming depressed when their journey is nearing its end or over. Perhaps MH didn’t know what home was anymore, didn’t know his next chapter in life and did in fact starve himself to death. Insane speculation here. IMO

I mentioned to a poster who PM'd me that we may have made assumptions about Denim not carrying ID, a wallet, a driver's license or credit cards. Just because those items weren't found with his belongings doesn't mean he didn't have them during his hike. It makes a lot of sense not to be flashing a big wad of cash at shops and/or hostels while on the trail.

Is it possible that the two hikers who discovered Denim's body weren't the first to happen on his tent in an isolated campsite? Perhaps other random visitors did exactly the same as them: called out and getting no reply, opened the tent and seeing an incapacitated individual searched the tent looking for cash and valuables. Unconcionable if he was deceased, despicable if he was alive.

Random thought. I’ve heard of some thru-hikers becoming depressed when their journey is nearing its end or over. Perhaps MH didn’t know what home was anymore, didn’t know his next chapter in life and did in fact starve himself to death. Insane speculation here. IMO

IMHO sound speculation. That's a huge life transition! Quite possible.

JMHO YMMV LRR

If he had an eating disorder, references to himself as previously obese could be seriously misleading. He may never have been overweight at all.
Very true but there is anecdotal information related by random hikers he mentioned a weight loss although @Narkj has stated he hasn't been able to verify that.

Just throwing this one out there as there is a good chance he disappeared on purpose. I have been reading up on a hiker that disappeared in Nov 2014..He solo hiked without a GPS/Compass. Went by the name of Snakebitmgee, real name Kenny Lee Veach...Doesn't appear to have any tattoos....He was losing his house and his business adventure was not successful in Sept 2014. He left on a hike in the mountains and videoed his second hike there in Oct. In Nov he disappeared..He had hiked the area twice before and knew his way around the area. Kenny would hoard his water and food pretend it was all he had and make it last by drinking and eating small amounts when hiking. Kenny was also an inventor and artist. The brown eyes may rule him out, however, the profiles they have compared him with also had brown eyes and MH profile says blue/gray but at one time they had his eye color as hazel.

5'8
140 lbs
Brown hair and eyes

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Thank you for the wonderful work you are doing. May I ask a ball-park figure on your costs to take on such a task as this? I am interested and donated, but haven't a clue how much it is going to cost to accomplish the results? TYIA

Total budget, evidence to answers is probably $5000.

The detective, on the podcast, said he was taking active measures to conceal his identity on the hike, all the way back to NY.

One store owner (the place he bought the tent) said he paid with a huge wad of cash.

He was found with almost $4000 so if somebody was going to rob him they missed the good stuff. Cash is a lot better than a credit card.

Yes, it was obvious that he hid his cash stash well. I wonder how much he started out with and if he withdrew cash from an ATM on the trail without other hikers knowing.

Hi all - first time poster, long time reader. Thank you for your discussion on this strange case. It certainly captivated me and I’ve enjoyed many of your deep dives, especially the words of the hikers.

Please tell me where I’m off-base. To me, what is most fascinating and perhaps disturbing are the last few months of his life from when the last photo of him was taken, on March 17, 2018, to when he was found, four months later. Something has gone terribly wrong during these months. If we apply some logic, as far as I can tell, there are three possible conclusions that we could reach:

1) He continued hiking southbound. This seems the least plausible to me, as also mentioned by Narkj and Vespertine, as the Keys are highly populated, there’s only one main road in and out that he’d have to navigate, and there almost certainly would have been sightings. Vespertine also stated that “Mike” said that he did not show up on any trail cameras south of where he was found (where did this information come from? sorry if I missed it). Also: there were fires in the area.

Furthermore: he would doubtlessly be noticed by a hiker, or just another human, if he was approaching that incredibly low weight. If we look at the March 17, 2018 photo, to me, taking into account that photos aren’t always a good gauge, I would still say that if he was 5' 8" he would still be around 130 pounds in that photo. “Hiker skinny” as someone stated. That would mean that between mid-March and mid-July, he lost around 50 pounds of body weight. This would be noticeable.

2) He was living in the park (as the NAMUS info suggests). This is plausible to me. However, if this is indeed the case, it opens up a number of problematic questions.

Why on earth live at a campsite so far away from a re-supply area for food? If he were camped there, he would have had to eventually re-supply with long hikes in and out, and again, he probably would be noticed. Especially if he were approaching that dangerously unhealthy weight.

The Everglades in July is an incredibly inhospitable area to set-up shop for a couple of months, with 90-degree heat and humidity and regular brutal thunderstorms. He was in a tent, doing…nothing? Writing Screeps code as he wasted away? Again, it doesn’t seem logical unless you allow for the fact that something was going on, physically or psychologically, or both.

I believe he would have eventually noticed his own wasting condition and could not pass it off as hiking weight loss. His clothes would not fit - at that weight, his lime green shorts would have just fallen off his body. He would have been weak, exhausted. If he had noticed it, why had he not sought help? Why did he not move closer to a populated area? If a person was trapped in the park, unable to move, wouldn’t they have left a note, yelled at a passing hiker?

Did he have a condition? The autopsy, as everyone has pointed out, does not indicate anything immediate. One person on this list correctly listed Type 1 diabetes as a possible reason. Initially I thought this was possible - I am a Type 1 and just before I was diagnosed, I had lost 25 pounds in less than two months without trying, due to raging hyperglycemia and the cells not getting enough glucose, and thus eating your fat to survive. Since he probably had little to no body fat and was hiking nonstop, this could have happened even more quickly. There is no possible way you can keep on weight, when this condition takes hold.

However, you would absolutely feel the physical ramifications of this. Crushing fatigue, the pain of ketoacidosis, especially in your upper thighs - you can’t do a damn thing, let alone hike with a heavy load. If he did nothing, he would gradually suffer organ failure, paralysis - I do believe this would show on an autopsy in some fashion, even if it happened pretty quickly. It certainly could be true, as moonriverfarm suggested in their talks with the hiker who found him, that if he was there he had not moved much in some time - either unable or unwilling to move - and simply died of arrest.

But whether he had a physical condition or didn’t perhaps isn’t the point: it seems possible that whatever the case, he ignored his body’s physical response and allowed himself, for whatever reason, to get to 83 pounds, seemingly without ever asking for help or hiking to civilization when - at least it seems - these options were available. This dramatic wasting would not have happened over a week. Therefore, if he did indeed hunker down in the park for 2-3 months, it remains a bizarre choice to do so. Could he not move, perhaps? Again, it seems illogical based on the autopsy.

3) He did something else, then returned to the park. There are so many potential “what-ifs” in this scenario, it’s not even worth really digging into. But, if he was not in the park for the duration, and he was not continuing to hike, then surely, once again, he would have been noticed by someone.

Well, thanks for reading this rumination :)

This is from nearly a week ago but this is one of the aspects of MH's case that perplexes me the most. He was not seen heading southbound, and the last trail angel to see him in April claims this encounter occurred within 5 miles of his resting place. So what was he doing in the same place, with extreme heat and humidity, holed up in a tent for 3 months?

Because he was last described as "hiker skinny" and appeared healthy in the last photo, I wonder how/why he dropped so much weight so quickly. I've read that he had food on him, and had stool (according to autopsy). Maybe others here who saw the photos of his tent could chime in about what else was in the tent - was food visible? Beyond the stool, he had thousands of dollars and access to food nearby. I just can't fathom why he would've posted up there and gotten to such a low weight without seeking help or encountering a single person.

I have been midly underweight from an ED, and laying down/sitting was uncomfortable. I was always exhausted. MH, at a BMI 12, would look similar to the sick youtuber Eugenia Cooney. He would have been extremely uncomfortable and weak, but not too weak to get out of there and seek help. A part of me wonders if he was immobilized (knee braces, something went bad?) and unable to seek help, or had an eating disorder and was unable to see the reality of his dire situation. When I saw the calorie + macro counts on his designer hiking bars, I immediately thought I was looking at an ED journal.

The podcast confirmed many of the hypotheses I made in my prior post. In addition, seeing the color photos of the journal and full autopsy report reminded me of some thoughts that have been rattling around in my brain for a while.

1. There's a photo of MH with palm trees and scrub brush (idk if this is a real term, but it's what we called it in SW FL) in the background. He's relatively clean shaven and of a healthy weight. Does anyone know when that photo was taken? I've not seen a consistent date, but think it may help line some movements up, as he's sporting some serious mutton chops when he's found. Where did he shave? More importantly why did he shave?

2. The notebooks are pristine: no food/grease stains, no water damage, no dirt smears (at least majorly visible). Some of the ripped out pages have some yellow staining. I'd hazard he had them packed in ziplock or covered by something waterproof.

3. I don't know that I'd agree 100% that the notebooks were written "while hiking", but certainly agree that they were written after his arrival in Florida. Could have been at a public library, hostel, whatever. Considering the uniformity of the script, I think they were written while stationary for a significant amount of time, rather than on a train, bus, or in a car. I'd also wager he wrote on a hard surface...because think about squatting/reclining/contorting yourself in a tent to write sophisticated content with this degree of penmanship. Is there consistent access to picnic tables along the FT?

4. I'd bet my last dollar that those are Wal-Mart notebooks and were purchased not long before his death. Had he hiked the middle section of the Florida Trail, he wouldn't have had great access to Wal-Mart (up by Sebring, maybe?). But if we throw a stop in Sarasota/Ft. Meyers/Naples into the mix, then bingo.

5. I'm going to get my mother, a recently retired physician, to take a more focused look at the autopsy report. I gave her a verbal read out, and she agreed that something seems off. I think it would be good to know if "abundant" feces means "impacted," as that in conjunction with the empty stomach are red flags. Also...how was he bathing? Stagnant water and amoebic dysentery go hand in hand...and you can absolutely suffer from diarrhea and fecal impaction simultaneously.

6. Something still nags me about his jacket. Probably because I listened to the latest CaseFile podcast episode in which Japanese investigators trace a perpetrator's sweatshirt down to the individual sale lot throughout SE Asia. The BR jacket had a limited run and was sold by only a handful of stores.

7. I'm going to assume he's a US citizen, since his prints would be on file if he was on a work visa or had permanent residency via a green card. He might have voted...and likely in NY state. We're about to have another election, and voter rolls are routinely purged following non-renewal of registration. Perhaps the 2020 presidential election will indeed be kind to us in some way.

8. No idea about his sexual orientation. I am, however, a queer person who has lived in NYC and know that many people sharply cordon off their professional and personal lives. I know in other cases people have made Tinder/Grindr profiles that function as missing persons posters, but do not know the ethics/legality of this practice. Perhaps someone--regardless of gender or sexuality--may have previously swiped right on MH.

9. How did he get from Brooklyn to Bear Mountain. Was he dropped off by ride share? Did he take the train? Bike? Could LE look through Uber/Lyft public data to determine if anyone made a long trip from Brooklyn to Bear Mountain?

10. Tin foil thought #1: if we throw out the Louisiana connection, might he be from an isolated community? I remember wanting to comment on this last year when someone mentioned Mennonite or Amish....and Sarasota is absolutely a destination for these groups. It is common to pass families in traditional clothes biking on three-wheelers out to the beach.

11. Tin foil thought #2: if not Amish/Mennonite, what about one of the Orthodox Jewish communities (Williamsburg Brooklyn) or Scientology (Clearwater). I know several people who have been shunned from both of these groups...and there's no going back for either.

That's it for now...sorry about the length and thanks for slogging through if you made it this far!

Any update from your mom on her thoughts of the autopsy report? Perhaps rhabdomyolysis?

The ME listed everything he saw while he conducted the autopsy which seemed very complete, imo. The guy knew what he was doing. He noted the impacted bowel and the bladder full of brown urine. I think someone further upthread mentioned rhabdo and its causes and symptoms. It does seem to check a lot of boxes. One of the causes is lightning strikes. MH was in Big Cypress when practically no one hikes because of intense thunder storms and extreme humidity and wetness. Florida is the lightening capital of the world.

Interesting, I've never heard of rhabdo being caused from lightning. I wonder how rhabdo ties in with other issues, like his weight? How long it lasts, if it can kill, and whether or not it could cause him to stay in his tent for months and starve, unable to replenish his resources. Perhaps he was rationing the food he had left, which would explain the weight loss despite stool.

During his last weeks, I wonder how long he spent in the tent. Did it appear like he rarely left it? The hiker who found him said (mentioned earlier in thread) that it didn't appear like anyone had been walking around the area and that it was swampy/wet. Could explain why his feet appeared wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13