Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez#4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh...he lied about his real name on a form where he was asked for his real name. This is the chief lie.

I understand what you are saying, and I agree with it. What you're basing it on, are things that can be proven with evidence. Yes, we know he walked 10 miles a day, kinda mostly. People saw him, hiked with him. Yes, he had computer code indicating that he probably was a coder. Yes, he followed through on his desire to go to Florida. But, we know those things because either others have corroborated those truths, and that there's photographic and additional evidence for it. It's not like he told people he was a butcher, and instead was found with notebooks of computer code. Everything that he said might indeed be true. Probably is.

But, conversely, there is a lot that he said that we have no evidence for, and thus might not be true. This has nothing to do with suspicion, and solely to do with evidence. He said he worked in IT in Brooklyn, but no one has recognized him. He claimed he had a sister to at least two people (the "Sarasota" person, and the "Naples/Ft Myers" person), but no relative has reported him missing or recognized him in two years. Again, it could be true, but perhaps not. He claimed that he had weighed more at one point. Did he? Who knows! He claimed to another hiker that he wanted to do this hike while he could. Was the hiker who heard this misconstruing the statement, or were they correct in assuming he had a health issue (which the autopsy did not find)? The reason for this skepticism, rather than suspicion, is precisely because he was hiding his identity, even when pressed to not hide it. Cautiously hiding your identity is one thing, but deliberately tossing your wallet, ID, and credit card before expiring might another. We just don't know. This could have been completely innocent, of course, and a legit desire to unplug, combined with terrible health-related issues. Probably was. Or?

Great post. I can add that the detective on the case told me he simply ignored all trail paperwork and back country permits. They could not find any that they could attach to him. That is pretty deliberate, on MH's part, over something that is not a big deal at all. He was hiding his identity, maybe once he's identified we can figure out why.

Regarding the bolded, wasn't that just one lady? She posted on FB and it was Sarasota/Ft Meyers (she misspelled Ft. Myers). This is the account of him that seems out of sorts for a few reasons. If there was another account of the sister, I missed that one.

From the photo timeline, people who talked to him were 19 on the AT, 3 on the Pinhoti and 9 on the Florida. Is it fair to say that he was seen way more on the AT than the other 2 trails? If so, does him purchasing good hiking gear and possibly his first tent account for that or does it imply he was tucking away from people more, possibly wanting less interaction than he had encountered but accepted?
Snipped.

There is simply a lot more foot traffic on the AT in general than the FT, and I am guessing the Pinhoti. I've been on some sections of the AT, all around the terminus at Springer Mtn, and I always see other hikers. Always, doesn't matter the season. I can go out on the FT and never see another hiker. I've never done any of the Pinhoti.

Like I said on another post, he could have easily worn through his first shelter by the time he bought the Foray tent. You can't really tuck away too much on the FT. The campsites are pretty clear and many sections of the trail would not allow for a hiker to simply pitch a tent. The AT is a different story, you can go a few yards off trail and camp.

The company that is working with CCSO to help identify MH through his dna. How does this work? Does it only work if his family already has their dna on file with this companies database? I'm just wondering how much of a shot in the dark this is. Of course I'm thrilled at the possibility of this identifying him.

Great post. I can add that the detective on the case told me he simply ignored all trail paperwork and back country permits. They could not find any that they could attach to him. That is pretty deliberate, on MH's part, over something that is not a big deal at all. He was hiding his identity, maybe once he's identified we can figure out why.

Regarding the bolded, wasn't that just one lady? She posted on FB and it was Sarasota/Ft Meyers (she misspelled Ft. Myers). This is the account of him that seems out of sorts for a few reasons. If there was another account of the sister, I missed that one.

I'm sure you're right. I get confused myself, sometimes - there's a lot of randomonium that has to be sifted through to get to what is known/unknown/partially known.

The company that is working with CCSO to help identify MH through his dna. How does this work? Does it only work if his family already has their dna on file with this companies database? I'm just wondering how much of a shot in the dark this is. Of course I'm thrilled at the possibility of this identifying him.
@othram Could we maybe get a brief explanation.

There is a trail system built on the old railroad and people do hike it. It is called the Florida Keys Heritage Trail. Think of it as a bike path. On some sections you have to walk along side US1. But this is not uncommon, on many trails all across the country you have to walk alongside roads.
Ah, OK. So, he could have known he was able to hike to Key West. Then he seemed to want to go to the very end of the trails and US. Quite possibly there isn't any other reason for him going to Key West but, still, the beginning and end points should get more attention.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. It's unusual for an individual with first name and surname beginning with the same letter to have such a vastly different formation of the letter in their signature. It almost seems he was going to write another letter and then wrote a strange B in the first name.

It seems that when he was printing his alias he wrote the letters very similarly but the actual writing of a signature caused a hitch and he almost started writing something else.

As a Canadian born in the UK I can say there are different accents even in the province of Ontario. People in northern Ontario sound different than someone in southern Ontario. Lots of French Canadians live in Ontario and speak English with a French Canadian accent which is different again from a French person from France. French Canadians speak a colloquial form of French. A lot of French Canadians can't speak English. East Coasters sound different and those from Newfoundland sound even more different.

People can be born in a state or city and not have the stereotypical accent, whether that's Brooklyn or Boston. I've met people from rural Maine where I struggle to understand what they're saying yet meet people born and bred in South Carolina who sound like someone from Toronto to me.
There are also people in Canada who are born french but end up speaking English very well with absolutely no accent. It was those I meant to be saying could be him. Someone rightfully said not all New Yorkers speak with an accent either though.

The thing is, there are probably other people who have hiked the trails, used aliases and no-one's the wiser. It's only because this hiker died on the trail and didn't have any ID.

People give fake names for all sorts of reasons, not because they are skirting the law, or because they don't think in the grand scheme of things that WHO they are is a requirement for them hiking the trail. If I was a section hiker, wouldn't it be possible for me to hike portions of the trail without providing ID?

What about sovereign citizens? Their idea of what laws apply to them vary, but I could see many people thinking hiking a trail in America shouldn't have to be regulated, even without the mindset of a sovereign citizen.

You could attend university classes without ever signing up as a student and end up with the same knowledge level as someone who paid tuition and gets a credit. Not having the official recognition of a degree may not matter to some; it's the knowledge they gained that's important to them.

I get the impression when on hiking blogs that registering as a thru-hiker is to get official recognition as a thru-hiker. Does that mean it's illegal if you don't register?

I wanted to address the church thing. He was staying in the basement of a church known to provide shelter for hikers. He wasn't worshiping at the church. It's my impression anyone passing through is welcome to stay, regardless of their religious preferences. I can't imagine anyone forgoing shelter because it's in a church...A lot of churches along the trail provide food, shelter, etc. to hikers. I really can't see any hikers who need those things passing it up because it comes from a church.
Ah. Hopefully people are keeping in mind that I'm just challenging the idea as it appears on the surface sometimes. In those cases, I use lots of "if" and such. Now we know it's a church basement for hikers then religion doesn't factor into it, they're just using it.

I'm sure you're right. I get confused myself, sometimes - there's a lot of randomonium that has to be sifted through to get to what is known/unknown/partially known.
The account of staying with his sister is questionable. He did mention he had a sister to a few others that is credible though.

There are also people in Canada who are born french but end up speaking English very well with absolutely no accent. It was those I meant to be saying could be him. Someone rightfully said not all New Yorkers speak with an accent either though.

To me, Celine Dion is a perfect example of a Quebecois individual who can speak English well but still has a Quebecois accent.

The thing is, there are probably other people who have hiked the trails, used aliases and no-one's the wiser. It's only because this hiker died on the trail and didn't have any ID.

People give fake names for all sorts of reasons, not because they are skirting the law, or because they don't think in the grand scheme of things that WHO they are is a requirement for them hiking the trail. If I was a section hiker, wouldn't it be possible for me to hike portions of the trail without providing ID?

What about sovereign citizens? Their idea of what laws apply to them vary, but I could see many people thinking hiking a trail in America shouldn't have to be regulated, even without the mindset of a sovereign citizen.

You could attend university classes without ever signing up as a student and end up with the same knowledge level as someone who paid tuition and gets a credit. Not having the official recognition of a degree may not matter to some; it's the knowledge they gained that's important to them.

I get the impression when on hiking blogs that registering as a thru-hiker is to get official recognition as a thru-hiker. Does that mean it's illegal if you don't register?
Its a free country and as long as you pay admission to any parks you're camping in, you are probably not breaking any laws-federal or local-for hiking. Even backcountry permits are really loosely policed. These are sort like a piece of paper you fill out and deposit in a drop box. Same with a lot of primitive campsites. There is a fee you pay and you drop it in a box. I've encountered rangers on the trail but have never been asked for a copy of a permit. Maybe a ranger would ask a camper if they paid if the count at the campsite was off but I have never seen that. I am sure it happens.

I am not sure about how one becomes an official thru hiker. I am guessing you register with that trail alliance and provide proof somehow of your waypoints to be a true thru hiker.

There are times when I've put a bogus name down here or there because I don't even think it's proper they're asking me. I don't want to be tracked by government, corporations, marketers, criminals, etc. It's government land, owned by everyone, supposedly free to hike. Why am I having to give them my name?! I can easily see it. He did more than that by not even having real ID on him though which is important to get ahold of someone in an emergency, for medical info, etc.

Its a free country and as long as you pay admission to any parks you're camping in, you are probably not breaking any laws-federal or local-for hiking. Even backcountry permits are really loosely policed. These are sort like a piece of paper you fill out and deposit in a drop box. Same with a lot of primitive campsites. There is a fee you pay and you drop it in a box. I've encountered rangers on the trail but have never been asked for a copy of a permit. Maybe a ranger would ask a camper if they paid if the count at the campsite was off but I have never seen that. I am sure it happens.

I am not sure about how one becomes an official thru hiker. I am guessing you register with that trail alliance and provide proof somehow of your waypoints to be a true thru hiker.

I can add that the detective on the case told me he simply ignored all trail paperwork and back country permits. They could not find any that they could attach to him. That is pretty deliberate, on MH's part, over something that is not a big deal at all. He was hiding his identity, maybe once he's identified we can figure out why.

So what about what the detective on the case said from a prior post of yours. His giving an alias doesn't necessarily mean he was deliberately trying to hide his identity. Right now in Ontario, if you go to a restaurant they want to record your phone number for contact tracing. I know for a fact that some people have given fake names and numbers to some 19 year old server who isn't going to question the veracity of their answer. It's not illegal but isn't exactly community minded either.

Edit to add: @gfinale has admitted to giving bogus names in certain circumstances but it doesn't mean his reason was nefarious.

So what about what the detective on the case said from a prior post of yours. His giving an alias doesn't necessarily mean he was deliberately trying to hide his identity. Right now in Ontario, if you go to a restaurant they want to record your phone number for contact tracing. I know for a fact that some people have given fake names and numbers to some 19 year old server who isn't going to question the veracity of their answer. It's not illegal but isn't exactly community minded either.

Edit to add: @gfinale has admitted to giving bogus names in certain circumstances but it doesn't mean his reason was nefarious.
Not at all. Once was when I went to a "free" concert. Get there prepared to see it with others and they ask us our names. I told them Ben Bilemy :p

So one does not need a permit to thru hike the AT? Asking because people do to thru hike the PCT and last year I read a few hikers got into trouble with rangers when they flipped up north due to the snow in the Sierras and were hiking southbound without a southbound permit later in the season.

I always give a fake name at coffee shops when they ask who the drink is for. I don't see why any oddballs and stalkers hanging around should have my real name.

I used to travel a lot for business and still travel solo to Florida many times, there and back. As a female and traveling alone you learn there are ways to bolster safety while in unfamiliar places. Never stay in a ground floor room. Don't take a room close to a stair exit. Park as close to the front entrance as possible not near a side door to the building, even though you may have to walk further to your room.

I've had to have 'the talk' with random hotel desk clerks, many female to my dismay, who seem to think it's okay to verbalize the information on my driver's license, letting everybody waiting in line know where I'm from, what car I drive, my name and the room number I've just been given. I try to tell them the reason I gave them the license in hand is to keep my info confidential, not broadcast it to all and sundry.

You'd think there was some kind of standard process in all hotels to ensure safety for their female travelers but you'd be surprised how many places I've gone to that don't seem too concerned about it and get miffed when you point it out.

Because I have a long and complicated last name I always give an alias when making reservations at restaurants, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BEllis9801