Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez#4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah regarding the tent, they are all pretty weak. The lighter the tent is the more it gets rips and tears. I would not be surprised in the hike from NY to GA he wore a tent out. Especially on the AT where it is rocky everywhere. I'm still testing my Featherstone out but if I was going to go more than a couple weeks I would have a second one on hand ready to ship out.

Based on your last posts regarding what you bring and what other hikers bring on their hikes I have revised my position that he had extra stuff in his pack that mysteriously disappeared.

I think I went down that path because of the constant comments regarding the size of the backpack MH had, but based on your input it sounds like many people carry that much weight when they hike, renewing supplies as they diminish.
Many people do, on the other hand I've encountered some ultra lighters and they are a different breed. Almost aboriginal. They have a tent (usually a tarp tent) backpack, bladder, filter and dried food, maybe a pot and stove and that is it. They cut the tags off everything, even scrape labels off bottles and stuff. They want to be sub-30lbs. But they're averaging more miles per day.

Last edited:
I have thought about what tent did he have before this two man big one, yes. I believe I've seen his sleeping bag rolled up in a bag with a draw string in one pic. Having done races in the woods for many hours, I would not assume that any weight is scant ;) The owner of the shop that sold him the tent said they couldn't get rid of the heavy thing and it was odd for MH to want it for thru-hiking. The difference between 2.7 and 3 pounds can be huge. A lighter. His winter jacket and gloves. Food. He had some fuel. Knife, utensils, maps, cases, covers, compass?, emergency kit?, toothbrush and paste, cleaner/soap, wallet, bandana, flip flops. You haven't really mentioned why you're going here though. I think it is obvious he had a bigger backpack and carried more weight than anybody, whether it's 40 or 50 lbs. Are you questioning whether he got rid of some of his stuff somehow or...? Are you questioning the person who weighed it?
I should say questioning the account of the person who weighed it rather than questioning the person.

Or he didn't want the trail angel to know his name or address. Hiding his identity.
He could have tossed it anywhere though, in any garbage bin, etc. He could have even burned stuff if he didn't want evidence of it. Instead he kept carrying it until the end. I believe he planned to use that stuff later, on or off the trail.

The things you mentioned wouldn't add up to 20 pounds of weight. There were two different types of fleece apparel in the pics. Either one would weigh less than half a pound. Lighters, tooth brushes, etc would be negligible weight. He apparently didn't have a wallet according to other hikers, he carried his cash in plastic ziploc bags.

I'm not questioning the veracity of the hiker who weighed the backpack, I believe it to be true, considering so many people commented on the size of it.

I am questioning where the rest of his stuff went. He bought all the things he needed to compact and streamline his belongings and equipment. He added a tent to the equation in Georgia but didn't appear to get rid of one that he replaced it with, unless like I said he didn't have one to begin with. He obviously had something in there that he wasn't willing to part with.

It was back up in his first leg of his Florida trail journey that he mentioned he had stayed with his sister in either Sarasota or Fort Myers. I'm wondering if he did go to visit his sister sometime in January. He may have left some articles there. Gator has said that you're not really a through hiker if you don't do the whole trail, you're a section hiker if you only hike certain portions. It's quite possible that MH's intentions were good about hiking the whole trail but maybe if he stayed longer at his sister's (I believe that he did; he told people in different locations the same story) he decided to skip a couple of portions. Maybe he just picked up the trail further south since he wanted to avoid the heat, humidity and storms of the coming season.

I also think he shaved and had a haircut between the time some of those pictures that were taken in December based on the length of his beard and hair taken on his discovery in July.
Obsidian, who I think was the one who hiked the longest with him at 5 days, said he reached in his wallet and pulled out cash. I believe Bob, the shop owner who sold him the tent, said he had a wallet that was stuffed with cash. Now, maybe later on, he lost the wallet or had it taken from him.

I wonder if the reason he was around more people and there are more sightings and pics of him on the Appalachian Trail is because he had to go frequently into rest stops, get stuff, sleep over, not having all the gear at that point including a tent.

Last edited:
The things you mentioned wouldn't add up to 20 pounds of weight. There were two different types of fleece apparel in the pics. Either one would weigh less than half a pound. Lighters, tooth brushes, etc would be negligible weight. He apparently didn't have a wallet according to other hikers, he carried his cash in plastic ziploc bags.

I'm not questioning the veracity of the hiker who weighed the backpack, I believe it to be true, considering so many people commented on the size of it.

I am questioning where the rest of his stuff went. He bought all the things he needed to compact and streamline his belongings and equipment. He added a tent to the equation in Georgia but didn't appear to get rid of one that he replaced it with, unless like I said he didn't have one to begin with. He obviously had something in there that he wasn't willing to part with.

It was back up in his first leg of his Florida trail journey that he mentioned he had stayed with his sister in either Sarasota or Fort Myers. I'm wondering if he did go to visit his sister sometime in January. He may have left some articles there. Gator has said that you're not really a through hiker if you don't do the whole trail, you're a section hiker if you only hike certain portions. It's quite possible that MH's intentions were good about hiking the whole trail but maybe if he stayed longer at his sister's (I believe that he did; he told people in different locations the same story) he decided to skip a couple of portions. Maybe he just picked up the trail further south since he wanted to avoid the heat, humidity and storms of the coming season.

I also think he shaved and had a haircut between the time some of those pictures that were taken in December based on the length of his beard and hair taken on his discovery in July.

I think we have all but disspelled the thought that he stayed with his sister but that he probably did have a sister. Only one person who claims they met him has discussed him saying that and her account is highly questionable. Others have said he talked about having a sister.

Personal choice, the decision is that you give up distance for comfort. Lots of people opt to go ultralight, lots go heavy. It depends on a lot of things for each individual.

Everyone loses weight while hiking, my average 5 mile burn is about 1000 calories.

I would never carry a journal or anything paper other than a couple scraps of newspaper to help start a fire. But lots of hikers do carry a journal. I carry my cell, sometimes I'll carry a mini solar charger and I can text or play games if I'm bored. I carry a firearm for personal protection. Not many do. We can open carry while hiking here in FL, I usually carry concealed a small S&W 38 Airweight pistol. But if there are large game animals like bears, gators, panthers, I carry a larger firearm with more ammo, usually a Colt .45 pistol and several clips. And I open carry.

Little stuff adds up super fast. I like a nice tent, cooking options, towel and soap, etc. Extra 2-3 lbs right there. Aleve, Tums chewables, benadryl. Ear plugs. Carmex. Off, I never go on a hike without it. Sometimes water purification tabs. I'll take them to Nobles since there is a gator in the pond.

I'm also a foodie and bring fresh meat, usually steaks, for the first nights meal. Some potatoes, a couple small onions. Sometimes a bottle of WT101. Mini spice rack. Couple lbs there. For other days I like dried food like ramen noodles, I am a master at doctoring them up with canned chicken. Maybe some tuna pouches or some SPAM for another meal. Instant oatmeal. I'm a coffee fanatic, my kitchen looks like a Starbucks but I carry instant coffee on the trail. As heavy as I go the weight of a French press isn't worth it. Anyway food bag is usually 4-5lbs.

Water is 2.2lbs per liter. He was probably carrying 3l when he broke camp. 6.6 lbs.

Like I said most thru hikers have somebody stashing supplies for them. A wife or GF or mom to Fedex stuff back and get new gear.
Would I embarrass myself to ask what WT101 is? <-- update: After research, I think I know now ;)

The conversion factor between lbs and kgs is 2.2 and 1 kg ~= 1 L

I doubt we're going to be able to know a full enough list of what he had to be able to help know if he dropped stuff somehow. I think it's more likely that we can pick an item and see if, later on, he still had it. In addition to possibly finding he did give something to somebody somehow, knowing what he got rid of as opposed to kept but seemingly didn't need on his journey could show he was aware of the value of money, that he wasn't rich enough to just waste everything and that he was not premeditating ending his life. I.E. Why would he keep dragging around a costly winter coat from May to July if he knew he was going to off himself in July?! Of course, I'm a bit biased already because I think I've already shown he didn't premeditate his demise in a few other ways already.

Last edited:
Branmuffin did some fantastic work to try to figure out the weight of the backpack and articles within. An important avenue to explore. This kind of work leads to knowing what to pursue next no matter what the outcome ends up being :)

Haven’t seen these here but may have missed them.
Hopefully someone can say what exact place he was at where he filled this in. This confirms something I wasn't sure about. I have heard him say hikers named him Denim. I have heard hikers call him Denim but here it confirms he did take "official" ownership of that trail name for a period of time and up to Nov 22, 2017, near the end of the Appalachian Trail. Now, I don't think we have heard from any hiker who was there when he was actually named...unless he actually named himself Denim but said others named him. BTW, if you didn't want people to find you for whatever reason, wouldn't you change your trail name often?

Honestly, when I first heard he used Ben Bilemy - I immediately thought it was a play on the name of MTV host & comedian Bill Bellamy, who was popular in the 90's. I imagined him standing there and coming up with a name on the fly to use. lol

@gfinale - that's an interesting point about keeping to the same trail name. I wonder on any logs/forms he did complete, if he always used Ben Bilemy or if he used other names that we just don't know about along the way. Same with the trail name, if asked.

There are times where I think he really wanted his identity on lock down - but then I see pics of him and he looks so relaxed, not guarded or avoiding the camera, literally looking right at it. Unless after a period of time on the trail he became more relaxed with passing hikers and his interactions with them. Of course there was still a hard limit with info he would share. IMO.

Honestly, when I first heard he used Ben Bilemy - I immediately thought it was a play on the name of MTV host & comedian Bill Bellamy, who was popular in the 90's. I imagined him standing there and coming up with a name on the fly to use. lol

@gfinale - that's an interesting point about keeping to the same trail name. I wonder on any logs/forms he did complete, if he always used Ben Bilemy or if he used other names that we just don't know about along the way. Same with the trail name, if asked.

There are times where I think he really wanted his identity on lock down - but then I see pics of him and he looks so relaxed, not guarded or avoiding the camera, literally looking right at it. Unless after a period of time on the trail he became more relaxed with passing hikers and his interactions with them. Of course there was still a hard limit with info he would share. IMO.
I think he was pretty sure those from his past weren't going to see pictures of him hiking on the trail - and, based on lack of identification, it appears he was correct. But he knew if he gave out his real name, people could connect him to his past. Why he wanted to remain unknown? That's the $64k question.

Haven’t seen these here but may have missed them.
I saw these over on the FB forum earlier, and thought: that's clearly "Ben Bilemy" and not something else based on poor handwriting. About the only letter that could be misconstrued would be the letter "m" but that seems to match his "m" in "Denim," right below; and his signature looks like someone who is not used to scribbling out a pseudonym. In fact, it almost seems like he automatically began writing different letters (y? j?) in a signature-soup.

nothing stating where or which one but the form does say Georgia.
It looks like he has signed that name plenty of times before. We probably have his signature writing and possibly his close to regular writing. Look at his capital B for instance. Highly doubtful he made up a whole new way of writing for his fake name. This strengthens my thought that Ben could very well be his real first name.

Last edited:

Totally agreed about identity. I think he was probably concerned with identity theft and he may have had some wealth. He had expressed to one hiker something along the lines of not using social media, cell phone or such because of being concerned with being hacked or identity stolen, can't remember exactly. In that case, his pic wouldn't matter so much as his personal and family information. It could have even been his family, parents who were very well off. He isn't concerned with whether his pic gets distributed and recognized by anyone. I don't think anybody was looking for him.

Everybody says he had no accent but spoke perfect English. Seems like he can't be from New York or Louisiana! To Americans, English Canadians have an accent. Actually that accent varies depending on where you lived growing up in Canada. There are some Canadians that sound like they have absolutely no English accent though. It is French Canadians who are truly bilingual and grew up using both languages extensively. You can think someone you know is English Canadian forever until you hear them around French people. Could it be that MH is French Canadian, possibly from Quebec. Quebec is close to New York and he could have easily been working IT in New York.

Everybody says he had no accent but spoke perfect English. Seems like he can't be from New York or Louisiana! To Americans, English Canadians have an accent. Actually that accent varies depending on where you lived growing up in Canada. There are some Canadians that sound like they have absolutely no English accent though. It is French Canadians who are truly bilingual and grew up using both languages extensively. You can think someone you know is English Canadian forever until you hear them around French people. Could it be that MH is French Canadian, possibly from Quebec. Quebec is close to New York and he could have easily been working IT in New York.
He could absolutely be from NY or LA and speak with a general American accent. Some people grow up with neutral accents. Some learn to hide their accents when they move to a new city or start working in the professional world. We've discussed this before in this thread or the last one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member