Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez#4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has led me to speculate that he may have had something happened to him where he was still "alive", as in heart function and breathing, but was basically immobile and/or in vegetative state, which eventually led to starvation. He was lying on his back cringing and trying his hardest to get up and leave the tent, with his eyes focused on the exiting flaps.

It is really hard to fully buy into this speculation with the autopsy report not showing any signs of heart attack, stroke, aneurysm, or tetanus.

If I didn't know any better, I would say the he was (literally) scared to death. The look on his face and his body position make it look like he encountered a terrifying animal/creature/cryptoid.

I am about to say something that I consider a far-fetched theory......is there any way he could have been the victim of smoke inhalation? If so, it may not have killed him immediately, but him into a coma and caused him to starve. It could account for the lack of evidence in the autopsy (assuming he was in a coma long enough to have different chemicals run their course through his body, I am certainly no scientist and I have no idea if that is even possible, mere speculation on my part). It could explain why he was in his tent. If he was awoken to a massive amount of smoke, he may have tried to leave the tent, but could not see and was choking, etc. He then re-entered the tent hoping it would keep the smoke out. Once again, highly far-fetched theory on my part.
Personally, I think you are on a good track, one that needs to be explored LOTS. I don't know enough about the various things he could have got in those last few months at Nobles Camp but I lean toward thinking it was something such as you're saying. The problem is, if you mention one particular thing, people can shoot it down instead of thinking what could it have been. However, shooting one particular thing down does not disqualify the overall thought of there having been something. We know he hiked almost solid from New York to Big Cypress Florida, an enormous way and he said he was going to Key West which is highly believable considering how far he'd come, how he had always presented himself and how little he had to go to get there. Suddenly, boom, he stops at Nobles Camp around Apr 13.2018 and stays for a few months until he dies.

Last edited:
Good point, Gator. I think we can almost assume he started out with none of that though. If we are to believe he was wearing jeans for a while. No?
Depends on how far back you go. Didn't he start hiking because he could not stay overnight in a park? There would be plenty of places to buy gear in NY near the AT. I also don't see a problem hiking in jeans, in the cold, when it is dry. I've done that on a short hike of the AT myself. I wouldn't want to be in them long term for sure though.

You would think if he had been in a coma he would not have a full bladder or colon. In other words, he was eating and drinking hours before he died.

There are dangerous animals at Nobles Camp, alligators and bears. I've seen videos of both, at the camp. Also nearby are Florida Panthers. I live near a wildlife sanctuary where they have two in captivity and I would never want to tangle with one in the wild.
We do know that he kept getting out of that tent to go get water from the pond somehow right up until near his death though, right?!

We do know that he kept getting out of that tent to go get water from the pond somehow right up until near his death though, right?!
He had to have been because there is no way he would have survived more than 2-3 days in that heat and humidity. Plus he had a full bladder. He was drinking within several hours of dying.

I saw elsewhere a video of Nobles and Mike Gormley commented on it, MH's tent would have been very close to the pond. It was not a long walk to get water.

I would also argue that the wallet/ID/card was probably disposed of deliberately. There is of course no evidence either way, but to me, it points toward deliberation. It would be unusual for a) a hiker who has hiked for months and hundreds of miles, who is already used to keeping his wallet safe and dry, who went from inexperienced to quite experienced over the course of almost a year, to somehow just lose it, while b) at the very same time retaining his substantial trove of cash.
There is a possibility that he had a wallet and cash kept very much separately. Just in case something happened.

Depends on how far back you go. Didn't he start hiking because he could not stay overnight in a park? There would be plenty of places to buy gear in NY near the AT. I also don't see a problem hiking in jeans, in the cold, when it is dry. I've done that on a short hike of the AT myself. I wouldn't want to be in them long term for sure though.
OK, so we're saying he could have been acquiring high end gear since near the beginning. So, that does change my thought that he bought into hiking majorly when he bought his tent near the end of the AT. Maybe he had bought in way before that.

He had to have been because there is no way he would have survived more than 2-3 days in that heat and humidity. Plus he had a full bladder. He was drinking within several hours of dying.

I saw elsewhere a video of Nobles and Mike Gormley commented on it, MH's tent would have been very close to the pond. It was not a long walk to get water.
Does that possibly imply he was having trouble getting to the pond so put his tent about as close as possible?

There is a possibility that he had a wallet and cash kept very much separately. Just in case something happened.
Well, we don't know how much cash he may have had total but Bob who sold him the tent said he pulled out a wallet with a huge stack of dough. However, I know I never put all my cash in one place when carrying over a certain amount. Don't be telling my secrets though!

Let me ask, why would he drink if he wanted to die? If you say because water was close then I'll say, ya, but food was close too. He drank enough and he ate but didn't eat enough. Miscalculation? Uncomfortable to eat?

Last edited:
I even ordered a special holster for the hike. Can't wait to use it!

Earlier you mentioned taking a different weapon when hiking in Florida due to the wildlife there. You referred to them as game animals. Are you allowed to hunt panthers? Or alligators and bears? I know wild boar are a problem down there and there is and open season on them if I'm not mistaken.

Well, we don't know how much cash he may have had total but Bob who sold him the tent said he pulled out a wallet with a huge stack of dough. However, I know I never put all my cash in one place when carrying over a certain amount. Don't be telling my secrets though!

A stack of dough is subjective, though. A wallet full of 20s may not be a huge sum. I regularly take 500 bucks out of my account by ATM. Depending on which ATM it's a combination of 50s and 20s which is manageable to put in a wallet. All twenties, though, poses a big problem. I wouldn't be able to get them into the wallet, let alone close it up.

A stack of dough is subjective, though. A wallet full of 20s may not be a huge sum. I regularly take 500 bucks out of my account by ATM. Depending on which ATM it's a combination of 50s and 20s which is manageable to put in a wallet. All twenties, though, poses a big problem. I wouldn't be able to get them into the wallet, let alone close it up.
He paid Bob by taking out his wallet and paying cash. Bob seemed to think there was way more in the wallet than what he paid for the tent. That's what I got out of it. If someone pulls, say 300 out of their wallet to pay for a tent and it looks like they have 5 or 10 times that in there then I say he had a ton of cash in the wallet.

Last edited:
I need to correct one thing. It was Bob who sold MH the tent as I said but, after they interview him on Sworn Statement Episode 2, then it's Matt Mason at Mountain Crossings which is the last stop on the AT. He is the one who saw MH's wallet and commented quite substantially on the amount of money in MH's wallet, not bob. These guys see hikers all the time and NH's wallet stood out to him. I really don't think MH had 500 1 dollar bills in there ;) 20:49 of Sworn Statement Episode 2.

Last edited:
Some say he was only 5 miles from a rest stop and not far north was so and so. He had a homemade map. Did he know that? Did he still have a map?

Let me ask, why would he drink if he wanted to die? If you say because water was close then I'll say, ya, but food was close too. He drank enough and he ate but didn't eat enough. Miscalculation? Uncomfortable to eat?

I was reading about the IRA prisoners who formed a hunger strike in 1981 regarding their request to be treated as political prisoners rather than common criminals. The most famous was Bobby Sands, who during his incarceration was elected to Parliament. He and several others started a hunger strike to protest their treatment.

On March 5, 1981 Sands started a hunger strike where he refused all food, taking only water and licking small amounts of salt. He took no food from that date. His hunger strike lasted 66 days. Several days before he died he stopped taking water and lapsed into a coma. His weight dropped from 155 to 95 pounds. He died on May 5, 1981.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/ira-militant-bobby-sands-dies

It's interesting to note that Sands took no food for 66 days and only died several days after not taking water. I doubt it was a refusal of water, more like he was drifting in and out of consciousness and quickly succumbed to extreme dehydration. I have not read of a post mortem of his body but it would be interesting to know the similarities between MH and Sands.

Making comparisons between the two can only provide us a timeline and even that can't be relied upon, because we have to assume (which I hate doing) that MH was eating at least sometime between his last sighting and his date of discovery. Which probably changes a lot.

I've been on websites related to end of life care and the aspects of dying coupled with starvation. Almost all, without fail, mention the inability to void the bowel, resulting in impacted bowels. However, there is mention that ingesting fluids can ameliorate the situation and can extend life whereas dehydration and death come pretty quick without fluids.

I think at some point we have to stop considering that starvation is something we can actually relate to, in terms of our responses. I don't think we can. Because at some point in time, desire and application are not compatible. The subject is too far gone. Applying the logic of someone who has never experienced extreme hunger, let alone starvation, is an exercise in futility. Nothing works properly: your body, your brain, your responses. At some point in time you are being guided by the inexorable trajectory of a corporeal being towards death.

Last edited:
I need to correct one thing. It was Bob who sold MH the tent as I said but, after they interview him on Sworn Statement Episode 2, then it's Matt Mason at Mountain Crossings which is the last stop on the AT. He is the one who saw MH's wallet and commented quite substantially on the amount of money in MH's wallet, not bob. These guys see hikers all the time and NH's wallet stood out to him. I really don't think MH had 500 1 dollar bills in there ;) 20:49 of Sworn Statement Episode 2.

It's pretty hard to fold a wallet with 25 20 dollar bills, especially if you have other things in your wallet, like ID, credit cards, various receipts, etc.

We know he had between 3 and 4 thousand dollars but do we know what the denominations were?

One of the things that bothers me about the tent transaction was how MH was unconcerned about showing how much money he had in his wallet, even after taking out bills to pay for his purchase. And how much the seller noticed how much money had. Most people are a little more circumspect about stuff like that. Especially in an environment where you have no idea who you are traveling with and who was around when he made the purchase.

We don't know anything about that. There is no evidence he was regularly going to the pond to get water and purifying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper