Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez#4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thought. MH must have interacted with over 100 people including hikers, trail angels, campers, hostels, restaurants, etc. Only a smaller subset have come forward about it. Many of them had to find out he had no phone or electronics and was using lame maps, hand drawn for the FT. Most of them must have had a pretty obvious negative reaction and concern yet this guy doesn't think anything about it. We've established that he wasn't in the military or would be found by now so didn't get training there. It's like he got training and did hiking type activities in his past though such as orienteering or adventure racing (backwoods triathlon). To be that confident / arrogant while everyone who knows what they're doing is looking at you odd. He does appear to have had a very, very good memory based on looking over his notebooks and knowing something about the subjects he wrote about but was it really that photographic that he would look at them at home or from others and remember it all?!

Last edited:
Evidence points to him starting in NY as it's where he was first seen on the trail. He told people he worked in NY for a decade before hiking. He told hikers he was originally from Baton Rouge.

Yes, and FaceBook posts with time stamps before his death collaborate with this.

Also, a hiking blog from first interactions posted he was from (or living in) Brooklyn.

Maybe this has been mentioned before, have tried to keep up with the threads but anyway - on one of the photos from Collier County Sheriff of his boots, the insoles have been taken out and put vertically inside the boots (to air them out/dry them) this seems like he wasn’t just deciding to stay at the campsite forever (he also had a pair of sandals/flip flops which I imagine he would use at the campsite?). Or that he wasn’t so sick he only could manage the very basic things, or you really wouldn’t bother with your insoles I think :)

Maybe this has been mentioned before, have tried to keep up with the threads but anyway - on one of the photos from Collier County Sheriff of his boots, the insoles have been taken out and put vertically inside the boots (to air them out/dry them) this seems like he wasn’t just deciding to stay at the campsite forever (he also had a pair of sandals/flip flops which I imagine he would use at the campsite?). Or that he wasn’t so sick he only could manage the very basic things, or you really wouldn’t bother with your insoles I think :)
I'd agree that when he put the boots in such an ordered fashion there with insoles like that, he most probably wasn't sickly and weak but how do we know he didn't do that 2 months earlier and not wear them since then?

I thought the pics taken inside his tent showed a very unkept space. Typically, hikers keep a orderly tent. I suppose if you’re untidy at home, you can be hiking as well. To me, it just looked like chaos, bad energy. I believe he was at that location for a period of time and things were going downhill. IMO

Another thought. MH must have interacted with over 100 people including hikers, trail angels, campers, hostels, restaurants, etc. Only a smaller subset have come forward about it. Many of them had to find out he had no phone or electronics and was using lame maps, hand drawn for the FT. Most of them must have had a pretty obvious negative reaction and concern yet this guy doesn't think anything about it. We've established that he wasn't in the military or would be found by now so didn't get training there. It's like he got training and did hiking type activities in his past though such as orienteering or adventure racing (backwoods triathlon). To be that confident / arrogant while everyone who knows what they're doing is looking at you odd. He does appear to have had a very, very good memory based on looking over his notebooks and knowing something about the subjects he wrote about but was it really that photographic that he would look at them at home or from others and remember it all?!

We? These are your musings. They are certainly not mine.

I thought the pics taken inside his tent showed a very unkept space. Typically, hikers keep a orderly tent. I suppose if you’re untidy at home, you can be hiking as well. To me, it just looked like chaos, bad energy. I believe he was at that location for a period of time and things were going downhill. IMO

Are you saying that an individual who may have been suffering from some sort of ailment or who was in a downward spiral of ill health and starvation should have kept his tent tidier? When LE entered the picture is it possible they may have added to the disorder removing a body in a very confined space and put it on a evidence sheet that they may have messed it up a bit?

We? These are your musings. They are certainly not mine.
If you haven't established that he wasn't in the army then you're behind. It's pretty obvious so, yes, I assume you would know that. I wouldn't call it musings, I would call it logic, reason, deduction and sometimes a heavily leaning probability that leads me to find people. You can go about whatever though.

Last edited:
Are you saying that an individual who may have been suffering from some sort of ailment or who was in a downward spiral of ill health and starvation should have kept his tent tidier? When LE entered the picture is it possible they may have added to the disorder removing a body in a very confined space and put it on a evidence sheet that they may have messed it up a bit?
Plus, when you're staying in a tent for months, you're not likely going to keep packing and unpacking everything you need on a daily basis every day whereas, if you're heading out the next morning, you need to have it packed. Unfortunately, he didn't have room for shelves, cabinets and drawers in the tent :p

Re-reading my comment it might have come across as not compassionate or missing the mark. That was not my intent. I thought about LE moving items around in his tent to search but I don't think that accounts for all of it. I also think they took pics before touching anything. My comment about his tent not being tidy is because I do think he was suffering both physically and mentally. The condition of the inside of his tent is telling. To a degree, I think that's a given with the state he was found in. I'm not sure what one's body & mind does when it starts to shutdown from starvation. Some people who are suffering from severe hypothermia will all of a sudden start to feel very hot, overheated. Some will even undress - paradoxical undressing. While this was not the environment MH was in, the mind, IMO, is fascinating while under extreme stress. Did he experience hallucinations? That whole scene where he was found just screams bad energy to me and I believe he suffered greatly. IMO.

Who is JS, what's their full name?

@gfinale - please check your Websleuths inbox. I sent you a message many days ago, with the screenshot attached.

@branmuffin - amazingly, this exchange between the two sets of hikers, I realize, has been talked about on this thread for nearly two years. I feel a little embarrassed about not realizing this before, but the thread is huge. Their names and their comments were posted two years ago - I realized I myself was not doing enough due-diligence and am going back to re-read everything in the entire thread carefully. If you go back to the original Websleuths thread, Pt 1, both hikers are named in August 2018 and it is the same information as stated above. AC was there June 1-2 and he shot the video. And his friend JS commented on AC's news, stating that he, too, was at Nobles on July 3, and also saw the tent, tried to make contact, and upon failing, left "trail magic water" on the sign. Unfortunately nothing new from either of them, since then.

A while back, I sent the owners of the small town of Lake George's 2 computer shops to ask if they knew anything about our unidentified computer person, explaining a little about what happened and referring to the web for more info. One has responded saying they don't know anything about him. The other never responded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l