Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" & "Mostly Harmless", Jul 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That really is the core of the mystery. You're right that he must have a past, but it sure seems like he did spring into existence on the AT in New York in 2017.

There are so many possibilities. Shame, guilt, fear, depression, desperation. Flight to avoid prosecution. Flight to get away from overwhelming problems. Thrown out by family. What we used to call "midlife crisis." Recovering from grief or trying to find self. Lifestyle mismatch with family.

I could believe a very simple sequence: got laid off from a tech job, decided to hike the ECT since he might never have an unencumbered block of time again, ran into bad luck at the end. But if that was all that was going on, why would he use an alias?

Is Ben Bilemy his real name and we just haven't found it yet?

There isnt ONE Bilemy show up online let alone one BEN Bilemy.

That really is the core of the mystery. You're right that he must have a past, but it sure seems like he did spring into existence on the AT in New York in 2017.

There are so many possibilities. Shame, guilt, fear, depression, desperation. Flight to avoid prosecution. Flight to get away from overwhelming problems. Thrown out by family. What we used to call "midlife crisis." Recovering from grief or trying to find self. Lifestyle mismatch with family.

I could believe a very simple sequence: got laid off from a tech job, decided to hike the ECT since he might never have an unencumbered block of time again, ran into bad luck at the end. But if that was all that was going on, why would he use an alias?

Is Ben Bilemy his real name and we just haven't found it yet?
Rich family, doesn't want to get kidnapped. Doesn't want people to realize he's well off or they rob him. Doesn't want his identity stolen.Simply doesn't want his name connected with any of the hiking because of what he does for a living, want to be left alone / doesn't want anyone to try finding him....

Last edited:
Cant you pay Bill's using an ATM? People do it all the time in Canada (and they drive me crazy when all I want to do is withdraw $$$).
I think that's a third party ATM provider and so maybe not but some others may be able to say for sure. He could have used the phone at the rest stop, even to pay bills. If he didn't pay any bills his entire time hiking then either he didn't have ANY bills which is unusual or he didn't care if they went delinquent.

Not that I know of. They're pretty basic. Take money out, transfer money, make a deposit, check a balance. I can do more with my iPhone.
I think most ATM's in the US are 3rd party, not from the actual banks. There are tons of banks in the US whereas, only a few in Canada with each directly providing the ATMs.

Rich family, doesn't want to get kidnapped. Doesn't want people to realize he's well off or they rob him. Doesn't want his identity stolen.Simply doesn't want his name connected with any of the hiking because of what he does for a living....

That makes sense.

But you'd think if he was well enough known that that was a problem, there would be people looking for him.

I'm so glad his signature is in this thread... I was dreading having to look for it.

I used to read a lot about signatures. I fully believe that our handwriting says a lot about what is going on in the brain. I mean, it is the brain that controls what our hands do. And I agree about that "y". The bottom of the B not being closed has meaning, in my opinion.

I thought so at first, but then I noted that the bottom of the B in Ben is also open.

He loops back from the end of the word to cross the letters in the middle of the name. Most people who do that, it's to cross a "t" or maybe an "f".

Since this thread has reached the point that a modera
I thought so at first, but then I noted that the bottom of the B in Ben is also open.

He loops back from the end of the word to cross the letters in the middle of the name. Most people who do that, it's to cross a "t" or maybe an "f".

It’s interesting to me that the il in his signature looks natural. Or maybe I should say it looks much different the the rest of the signature.

I’ve always sort of taken it for granted that it was a prepaid card and that’s why it’s not trackable, but one other answer to the “how did he pay a credit card bill” question would be- would it have been a debit card? They’re basically interchangeable now visually, and no payments necessary. (Sorry if this is an extremely stupid observation, it’s late....)

I’ve always sort of taken it for granted that it was a prepaid card and that’s why it’s not trackable, but one other answer to the “how did he pay a credit card bill” question would be- would it have been a debit card? They’re basically interchangeable now visually, and no payments necessary. (Sorry if this is an extremely stupid observation, it’s late....)

I believe it was a prepaid card he had. BTW you CAN pay credit card bills at a bank if they are the holder of that card, like a BOA mastercard.

I believe he left his belongings with friends which he told to one of the hikers. What do belongings entail? I think he sold everything as well and had very little to store. I dont know if he believed he was going to live through his hike.
This is one of the biggest mysteries I have ever dealt with and it sure is frustrating to think not one person so far seems to know him. He stated he was heavier so maybe people do not recognize him in this much skinnier state.
I also want to say, I only know of his story because of being in a couple groups. I saw this when it first came out but then it died down a bit and has just recently seemed to pick up again. I have not seen one single thing come through on social media regarding him outside the this group and another I am in, nor have my family or friends. His story is really not out there as much as you may think and I have friends in Florida! This needs to be put out on a major network program that could do it as a story, not a 1 minute blurb where no one will remember or could miss it. I think those of us who are on the boards and people who hike know about it but how many more past that? Looking him up I had read a few stories, one online in the Brooklyn Patch and one on a Naples Newspaper online but I went looking for them. If you aren't looking him up you most likely know nothing about him.
Have any PI's tried to find any information on this? I know @Narkj has done some sleuthing but has not found a whole lot.

I do think he knew something was wrong healthwise. I also believe he wanted to hide his identity but could not begin to guess why as above there could be so many reasons. I do not think he committed a crime and is running from the police. he allowed anyone who wanted to take his picture and he smiles in many of them. He is not looking away from the camera or trying to hide himself.
We can spin our wheels till the cows come home but I do not think we are going to figure anything out unless we can think of something to look for.
I want to know where his wallet and watch went. I want to know where he got his last hair cut since his hair was short when he passed. The problem is even if we had those answers I do not think they would help identify him.
Yes it sure is frustrating that not one single person has come forward.
My only thought would be was he part of some religious group that has nothing to do with social media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr