GUILTY FL - Boy in a Box abuse trial - Parents, Timothy & Tracy Ferriter Arrested, Jupiter, Feb 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am going to say in my amateur opinion that TF comes across as narcissist behavior, this is based on watching him during trial only. His mannerisms come across as superior and/or better than others and justified in his actions- not embarrassed at all. He does not appear sensitive or empathetic toward his adoptive child, RF.

Rules don’t apply to TF. His needs come first. Imo, I believe the Mrs would give in often and early on decided it’s easier to allow TF the control. She is submissive and on board with allowing him to exploit others - clearly aware of his need for validation, or she knows she will experience the abuse too. Keeping “peace” in the household, if you will. Imo, the children in this dysfunctional “family” all suffered.

Speculation and no facts. Amateur post.

Justice for RF!

I'm not so sure I'd give TF a pass. I wouldn't even give other family members (e.g.,grandma, aunt, or uncle) or "friends" or teachers a pass if they were aware of this and did nothing to stop it, and if they could not stop it, did nothing to report it. This abuse was horrific imo.

jmo

For false imprisonment (§ 787.02(2)) he tried to argue state didn't make it's case because the door wasn't locked all the time and this was really no different from him (the lawyer) sending his daughter to her room as punishment. :rolleyes:

The other charge is a no-brainer imo

(e) “Neglect of a child” means:

1. A caregiver’s failure or omission to provide a child with the care, supervision, and services necessary to maintain the child’s physical and mental health, including, but not limited to, food, nutrition, clothing, shelter, supervision, medicine, and medical services that a prudent person would consider essential for the well-being of the child; or

2. A caregiver’s failure to make a reasonable effort to protect a child from abuse, neglect, or exploitation by another person.

§ 827.03(1)(e) and § 827.03(2)(d)

Ftr, imo, neglect would be a lesser included offense (to aggravated child abuse), so maybe that's what they were referring to.

jmo

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 4.10.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 4.10.11 PM.png
    634.8 KB · Views: 5

Brianna Coakley and her second chair are doing a really good job in this case imo. I hope their closing is just as strong.

11:47 "I see a prison" ... "worse than..."

14:21 "It was pitch black [when lights were off, day or night] you couldn't see anything"

(Imagine trying to relieve yourself in a bucket in the pitch dark?)

22:05 - I didn't think about the person "currently responsible for RF's care" being in the courtroom. Guardian was reportedly "agitated" and ultimately left the courtroom.

jmo

Last edited:
I am going to say in my amateur opinion that TF comes across as narcissist behavior, this is based on watching him during trial only. His mannerisms come across as superior and/or better than others and justified in his actions- not embarrassed at all. He does not appear sensitive or empathetic toward his adoptive child, RF.

Rules don’t apply to TF. His needs come first. Imo, I believe the Mrs would give in often and early on decided it’s easier to allow TF the control. She is submissive and on board with allowing him to exploit others - clearly aware of his need for validation, or she knows she will experience the abuse too. Keeping “peace” in the household, if you will. Imo, the children in this dysfunctional “family” all suffered.

Speculation and no facts. Amateur post.

Justice for RF!
The problem for redeeming Tracy is, TF was often traveling for work. This means, to me, that she was not always in the shadow as far as the way RF was getting treated. She had to be the enforcer and chief bully at those times. She could have eased up, but did not. This tells me she's not under TF's thumb.

The videos show Tracy bullying RF. No doubt. No one forced her to be evil.

I've been re-listening/watching some of the testimony. And, I thought the state did a great job before the rewatch but now I think they missed at least one huge opportunity, and that is to plant the seed with the jury that the "offenses" the parents claim are so egregious were probably caused by them. Let the jury consider as food for thought "So, did these "Behavioral" problems lead to this ABUSE? Or, did the ABUSE lead to the "Behavioral Problems"?

They should have considered having visual exhibits on display for the jury. They should have drawn the sting from RF on direct, taking all the wind out of the defense's sails, and point out the timeline. For example at Basis Academy:

He stole some things
He brought a box cutter to school

I believe these things occurred after he first started getting locked up in his first prison cell in Arizona. This is very important imo, and I do not think the state did enough to drive this point home. I hope they do in closing.

This victim took the blame on the record. He said (on cross to defense counsel) that people should forgive his parents. The defense is going to use and abuse his words in their closing. State needs to address this straight on.

This is so tragic on so many levels. jmo

Direct:

Cross:

jmo

Last edited:
I'm not so sure I'd give TF a pass. I wouldn't even give other family members (e.g.,grandma, aunt, or uncle) or "friends" or teachers a pass if they were aware of this and did nothing to stop it, and if they could not stop it, did nothing to report it. This abuse was horrific imo.

jmo

To be clear, I give no pass to TF, tho, my comments may have appeared that way. She too is 100% responsible for the abuse RF suffered, imo.

The problem for redeeming Tracy is, TF was often traveling for work. This means, to me, that she was not always in the shadow as far as the way RF was getting treated. She had to be the enforcer and chief bully at those times. She could have eased up, but did not. This tells me she's not under TF's thumb.

The videos show Tracy bullying RF. No doubt. No one forced her to be evil.

She is a bully, an abusive bully. In my opinion, she also appears to be a submissive wife. moo

Here is the interior of the room that confined this young man for up to 18 hours a day. The light and temperature were controlled from the outside by his parents. When the light was off, he described his room as pitch black and said he had to feel around to navigate within the walls. No exercise, no fresh air and in fact, a bucket of excrement exuding foul odors keeping him company day and night. His parents Paid to have this constructed. They designed the chamber. Was the young man perfect, no. But torture was no answer. Below is the young man's sister's testimony - Telling indeed.

#TimothyFerriter #TimFerriter #BoyInABoxTrial https://courttv.com/news/ferriter-daughter-testifies-about-windowless-room-in-the-garage/

1696730635306.png1696730659837.png

1696730677989.png

I've been re-listening/watching some of the testimony. And, I thought the state did a great job before the rewatch but now I think they missed at least one huge opportunity, and that is to plant the seed with the jury that the "offenses" the parents claim are so egregious were probably caused by them. Let the jury consider as food for thought "So, did these "Behavioral" problems lead to this ABUSE? Or, did the ABUSE lead to the "Behavioral Problems"?
Snipped for focus.

I actually think they got this in via the expert from Brown. He did also say that the ODD may have been an invention of a low-level counselor. The parents never took him for extensive evaluation or therapy. He also gave examples of how a person could react to being placed in a cell like that, especially a juvenile: they were all features of RF's behavior.

The treatment would also enhance RAD. This shows the parents had a role in subsequent behavior, and it wasn't just about his Vietnam years.

The list of "offenses" the defense had to offer (and the half-baked witnesses) was microscopic. Let's see: stealing sprinkles, having knives in his possession, stealing food from the kitchen.....

IMO there's plenty of fodder for the jury. They'll have some members who will recognize the whole schtick instinctively or from experience. In this, some will be "experts" from raising kids or being abused or professionally, unlike in a murder case, where no jury member has committed murder or maybe been exposed to it in life.

Thank you, @Jurisprudence for posting video. Not sure why contractor did not testify for the State, imo, it would have been an important testimony.

[snipped by me]

I don't either. There must be a reason because this contractor would have been valuable. He had personal knowledge. TF directly told him that he was being hired to build a home office. TF even gave him the specs, and a list of specific materials he wanted used. TF told him he wanted it to be the "same as his AZ office."

This imo is consciousness of guilt. This is TF knowing enough (being conscious enough to know) to lie about the real purpose. Contractor went to LE in December but they didn't act. He even risked his own contractor license by telling LE he didn't get a permit so they would have an excuse to enter the home.

The defense could have said "he lied bc it's not a legal bedroom, not because he had a nefarious purpose" but still... I think the contractor would have won that one. I wish the motion hearings were available.

jmo

Snipped for focus.

I actually think they got this in via the expert from Brown.
[S/BBM]

Oh that would be good!
The list of "offenses" the defense had to offer (and the half-baked witnesses) was microscopic. Let's see: stealing sprinkles, having knives in his possession, stealing food from the kitchen.....

I know! They are absolutely intolerable. Crossing the line. Worthy of abuse and justified to provide less privilege than a convicted felon in solitary.

Sprinkles
Chocolate (for a kid who ate only whatever little he was given whenever they decided to give it and which was always the same)
Trying to play a computer game.

Oh, the horror!

jmo

Knives in his possession could have been bc he was afraid of them, even though he didn't admit this. Same with stealing credit cards. Makes you wonder, was he becoming aware? Was he doing things in hope of getting arrested so he would be removed from the home? I wish he would have reported them to the school - or anyone a long time ago.

jmo

I just got into this trial the past couple days and it’s heartbreaking! Wow! The audacity of the defendants is insane. They show no remorse and seem defiant, in fact. The fact that he wouldn’t take the 2 year plea bears this out imo. Re the friend from Australia, really dude? You came all this way knowing what you now know they were doing to say the kid was dangerous??

The defense attys are hanging by a thread! You can tell they got nothing!

Even if they didn’t start confining him from the get go, the fact that they are capable of such acts means they were emotionally and psychologically abusive from the very beginning! Hence, all his so-called dangerous and troubling behavior is a direct result of their “parenting.” They were also indirectly abusing their other children who had to witness their brother being dehumanized and abused in this way!

JMO

[S/BBM]

Oh that would be good!

I know! They are absolutely intolerable. Crossing the line. Worthy of abuse and justified to provide less privilege than a convicted felon in solitary.

Sprinkles
Chocolate (for a kid who ate only whatever little he was given whenever they decided to give it and which was always the same)
Trying to play a computer game.

Oh, the horror!

jmo

Knives in his possession could have been bc he was afraid of them, even though he didn't admit this. Same with stealing credit cards. Makes you wonder, was he becoming aware? Was he doing things in hope of getting arrested so he would be removed from the home? I wish he would have reported them to the school - or anyone a long time ago.

jmo
Stealing credit cards might signal he was planning to run away and/or he wanted to buy food or clothes (if they weren't being given to him).

I don't like that a priest is sitting behind the defendant. It's as though the church condones whatever Tim was doing.

The judge looks so upset at points while watching the videos. I thought he was going to cry.
I am eagerly anticipating the judge’s sentencing comments! I hope he lays it into him before giving him the maximum sentence! Just for the audacity of taking this to trial and feeling justified in his abuse, he deserves the max!

Updated Aug 8, 2022 at 9:02pm
From the article:

[...] He didn’t feel safe because a person whose name was blacked out allegedly gets “really aggressive” with him. He stated when asked how his dad gets aggressive, that he was slammed against a wall by his neck and struck in the face with an open hand, the affidavit contends.

The boy described profanity and anger and being spit in the face. He was spanked with a belt.

The longest he could remember being locked inside of the room was 6-18 hours. He was provided with a bucket to go the bathroom and had to dump it out in the backyard. He eats most meals in his bedroom, usually leftovers after the rest of the family eats.

He said he did not want to return to his family. He pleaded to be arrested, stating he would rather be in prison than back at home and had suicidal thoughts.

[...]

Anther woman told police there is a “creepy” room in the garage at the previous Ferriter residence.

The current owner said the room was removed because it could only be locked from outside and believed the room was made to keep someone inside of it.

This case makes me so sad. The thought of being locked in an completely dark room with no communication to the outside world beyond my captor's 24/7 camera is terrifying to me. And the dehumanizing toilet treatment of the child, and he was a young child when this training began, is unspeakable. Telling him he should have "held it in...been a man" and "the neighbors don't need to see YOUR pee bucket" is beyond awful. You strip a human of basic dignity, then punish them for human functions? Barbaric. This man is a psychological and physical torture criminal, of a child that was completely under his control.

I'm trying not to think about the normal sexual development that a child and preteen would have during this time. This young boy would not have ever had an opportunity to develop. Whatever he did develop would have been under the scrutiny of 24/7 camera, and complete darkness. The creepiness of this is it's own rabbit hole, I don't want to go down I don't know that anyone even knows what that can do to a child's developing mind, because we don't do experiments that cruel.

This child seems incredibly well spoken, and in my opinion, trying very hard to appear unaffected by the abuse he suffered. I can't imagine what his day to day life must have been like. I only wonder how this affected the other children.

Could this kid ever have play dates? Sleepovers? did his friends come over? Could he even give his number to anyone? If he was having all these problems as defense says records indicate, are there records of therapist visits to try to help? Did the older sister have an relationship issues with him? It sounds as if she never saw him. It certainly seemed as if the younger children didn't see him often.

Then, When he commits an infraction, we hear his "Dad" threaten to take away school and replace it with homeschooling in his cell - thus taking away any form of communication this child has with the outside world, and put him it complete solitary confinement all day, every day - as if this kid's life isn't bad enough already. The "Dad" clearly knows what this means to the child.

These people are unbelievably cruel to this child. It speaks of a horror movie scenario to me. I think they should re-create the interior of the "cell" and that this kid had to find his pee bucket in that darkness to have the privilege of using it, then being shamed and emptying it each morning. They treated him like the monsters that they themselves are. They're not only cruel, they prevent the child from telling others of the cruelty.

I know there wasn't a murder here, but this is horror hiding in plain site, and the defense is putting this child on trial. Awfiul

Last edited:
I am eagerly anticipating the judge’s sentencing comments! I hope he lays it into him before giving him the maximum sentence! Just for the audacity of taking this to trial and feeling justified in his abuse, he deserves the max!

Timothy Ferriter rejected a plea offer by the state that would have resulted in 24 months in prison and five years of probation, WPTV reported. He now faces 40 years and possibly more.

I just got into this trial the past couple days and it’s heartbreaking! Wow! The audacity of the defendants is insane. They show no remorse and seem defiant, in fact. The fact that he wouldn’t take the 2 year plea bears this out imo. Re the friend from Australia, really dude? You came all this way knowing what you now know they were doing to say the kid was dangerous??

The defense attys are hanging by a thread! You can tell they got nothing!

Even if they didn’t start confining him from the get go, the fact that they are capable of such acts means they were emotionally and psychologically abusive from the very beginning! Hence, all his so-called dangerous and troubling behavior is a direct result of their “parenting.” They were also indirectly abusing their other children who had to witness their brother being dehumanized and abused in this way!

JMO

Absolutely horrible. It is a Blessing in Disguise that this person did not take a plea bc imo, he deserves a lot more than 2 years with 5 years probation.

jmo

I don't like that a priest is sitting behind the defendant. It's as though the church condones whatever Tim was doing.

The judge looks so upset at points while watching the videos. I thought he was going to cry.

Agree. The other day I posted

"Now I see an older woman behind him, and a priest next to her. If that woman is his mother, the grandmother, she's just as responsible imo for not stopping this. And, that priest, well I won't elaborate my thoughts on that. jmo"

And, I'm sticking to it. Of course we have to add provided the grandmother or any aunt, uncle, cousin, or friend, knew and did nothing to stop it or, if unable to stop it, did nothing to report it.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back