GUILTY FL - Boy in a Box abuse trial - Parents, Timothy & Tracy Ferriter Arrested, Jupiter, Feb 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wish I knew more facts about the events in AZ. Was the information about there being a first "box" in the AZ garage only provided by him on direct testimony here? The authorities there might not have ever known about this in which case I'd guess, probably no charges.

It seems from the testimony we've heard that this child never reported these parents to any school authority. He was an elementary school child. He probably thought he deserved it; that they (the parents) were right, and that everyone might get treated like this if they mess up. If only he had told someone. This case is tragic. Judge threw out one count. Hope he's convicted on all others.

jmo
I wasn't sure if judge threw out "great bodily injury/damage" is that the charge he threw out? TIA

I'm in the early goings of tye live stream from eariler today on WPBF 25 News. This stood out to me as evidence of how cruel and emotionally abusive TF is. He belittles, sneers and threatens. He tells his son how lucky he is to have anything at all.

At -8:07:37: Father (TF) cheers and claps saying, "good job!" in a sneering, derogatory tone. "I won the bet. I didn't think you'd last 3 weeks. Who were you looking for attention from?" RF: "No one." (in a defeated soft tone) TF: "Ah. It's so sad. (in an insincere tone). (general talk about Chromebook)... TF: "You've been stealing and lying and running away and calling yourself Richard. You're lucky you have an-y-thing! Give me a *advertiser censored**ing break. ... TF: "Are you serious?? Do you forget what you've done?! You're lucky you have anything. Maybe a ground with no carpet; no bed."

ETA: How ironic that the camera installed by Dad [I don't think he deserves that title.] to monitor his son has caught his own terrible behavior for the court to see.

Last edited:
I wish I knew more facts about the events in AZ. Was the information about there being a first "box" in the AZ garage only provided by him on direct testimony here? The authorities there might not have ever known about this in which case I'd guess, probably no charges.

It seems from the testimony we've heard that this child never reported these parents to any school authority. He was an elementary school child. He probably thought he deserved it; that they (the parents) were right, and that everyone might get treated like this if they mess up. If only he had told someone. This case is tragic. Judge threw out one count. Hope he's convicted on all others.

jmo
He was getting whipped with a belt and jump rope in AZ, too.

I'm in the early goings of tye live stream from eariler today on WPBF 25 News. This stood out to me as evidence of how cruel and emotionally abusive TF is. He belittles, sneers and threatens. He tells his son how lucky he is to have anything at all.

At -8:07:37: Father (TF) cheers and claps saying, "good job!" in a sneering, derogatory tone. "I won the bet. I didn't think you'd last 3 weeks. Who were you looking for attention from?" RF: "No one." (in a defeated soft tone) TF: "Ah. It's so sad. (in an insincere tone). (general talk about Chromebook)... TF: "You've been stealing and lying and running away and calling yourself Richard. You're lucky you have an-y-thing! Give me a *advertiser censored**ing break. ... TF: "Are you serious?? Do you forget what you've done?! You're lucky you have anything. Maybe a ground with no carpet; no bed."

ETA: How ironic that the camera installed by Dad [I don't think he deserves that title.] to monitor his son has caught his own terrible behavior for the court to see.
He actually didn't have a bed, according to his testimony: he only had a mattress on the floor. He said in AZ he had more of a bed.

@arielilane

Yes. Defense cited Wheeler v. State, 203 So. 3d 1007 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 2016) and said charges should be thrown out altogether because state failed to meet it's burden as in Wheeler. This is what the Wheeler court said:

The state charged appellant with aggravated child abuse under two subsections of 827.03(1)(a), Florida Statutes (2014). Subsection (1)(a)2 applies when a person "[w]illfully tortures, maliciously punishes, or willfully and knowingly cages a child." Subsection (1)(a)3 is violated when a person "[k]nowingly or willfully abuses a child and in so doing causes great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement to the child." The statute defines a "child" as "any person under the age of 18 years." § 827.01(2), Fla. Stat. (2014), (at 2009) ...

.. To establish great bodily harm, "[t]he state ‘must prove more than that the victim suffered some harm.’ " Smith v. State, 175 So.3d 906, 908 (Fla. 4th DCA 2015) (quoting T.W. v. State, 98 So.3d at 243); see also Nguyen v. State, 858 So.2d 1259, 1260 (Fla. 1st DCA 2003) (holding where "there was no testimony that the victim required medical treatment for her burns or that she had any lasting ill effects or scars ... there was insufficient testimony as a matter of law to support a charge of aggravated battery for causing great bodily harm.").
(at 2010)

He tried to get all of them thrown out. Judge would not agree to throw out charge under § 827.03(1)(a)(2) - said jury should consider it. But, bc of the Appellate Court ruling in Wheeler on (1)(a)(3) requiring great bodily harm he had to toss that one.

Funny - but I got the sense that he was very reluctant to do this. He even hinted to the prosecutor "Hey, can you find a case where "maybe severe PTSD" could qualify under that category"? (my words, not his) They didn't have one so he had to throw it out. This is how I remember it.

Here's the statute (§ 827.03):

827.03 Abuse, aggravated abuse, and neglect of a child; penalties.—

(1) DEFINITIONS.—As used in this section, the term:
(a) “Aggravated child abuse” occurs when a person:
1. Commits aggravated battery on a child;
2. Willfully tortures, maliciously punishes, or willfully and unlawfully cages a child; or
3. Knowingly or willfully abuses a child and in so doing causes great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement to the child.

Do you have a link to the charging document in this case or was it sealed? If it posted publicly. I'd be very interested to see it. TIA

ETA: Not Fla Supreme Court. 4th District Court of Appeal

Last edited:
I stumbled down a rabbit hole I did not mean to, now I am completely baffled.
Tim's father's last name is Farritor....Tim and Tracy were married in 2003...their last name at the time was also FARRITOR not Ferriter.
It seems in 2005 they had their last names legally changed from Farritor to Ferriter....Why???
You will have to search by his name, Farritor to find the name change.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-06 193914.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-06 193914.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2023-10-06 193902.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-06 193902.png
    220.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2023-10-06 203148.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-06 203148.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 9
Tim's father's last name is Farritor....Tim and Tracy were married in 2003...their last name at the time was also FARRITOR not Ferriter.
It seems in 2005 they had their last names legally changed from Farritor to Ferriter....Why???
Interesting?

Wow, after reading this article I am furious. This 'so called "father" is a sadistic, cruel and inhumane. I think he actually enjoyed torture this boy.
I don't think it was in the article, but it was on the livestream today (and mentioned in my previous post) but when Tim Ferriter said to his son that he was just seeking attention, but he didn't deserve attention, that hit me that this boy has been crying out for some love and not receiving it. Tim did say something to the effect that his wife showed love and caring for the son, but that 'you don't fool me'. SMH.

Yes, this son might have major behavioral problems and yes he might be manipulative, but why?? That is for the mental health professionals to figure out. It's not license to allow frustrated parents to mentally and physically abuse their child.

I understand that there are many parents out there with kids with major behavioral problems and they struggle to find support. They are at their wits' end. I feel for them. Have we heard that these particular parents reached out and were crying for help? It's possible. I haven't followed all details of this case. But what I've heard from the so-called father has been abusive.

It may or may not mean something.
It's possible that there was an historical spelling error in Tim's surname and he finally decided that he wanted to right the situation. (I had a colleague who did that just before his children were born so that they would have the 'correct' surname.)

He actually didn't have a bed, according to his testimony: he only had a mattress on the floor. He said in AZ he had more of a bed.
But I'm guessing that his father is threatening to take away the mattress and the carpet...implying that they are luxuries and he should be happy being in the "box".

ETA: my adult son chooses to have no box spring in his apartment. Of course he has a great mattress.

It may or may not mean something.
It's possible that there was an historical spelling error in Tim's surname and he finally decided that he wanted to right the situation. (I had a colleague who did that just before his children were born so that they would have the 'correct' surname.)
Excellent. I never in a million years would have thought of that. I traced his line back to 1700s Ireland and it is spelled with e's like he changed it to. As soon as they came to the US the new spelling of Farritor was adopted. During the trial, it was noted that Tim had been traveling to Ireland for work, so that may have been what prompted the action back in 05. Thx

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back