PA - Assassination attempt, shooting injures former POTUS Donald Trump, leaves 1 spectator deceased two in critical condition, 13 July 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think she will resign because there is little chance she will be fired. She got the job due to friendship with Jill Biden. Neither Mayorkas nor Biden is going to fire her, because that would be essentially an admission that hiring her was wrong. That isn't going to happen. I think she will serve until the Bidens leave in January and then leave on her own.
She got the job because she was extremely well qualified. As any woman must be, to get any job.

Can you explain these two? I hadn't heard them before
The first was a snark by a frustrated congressperson, not sure which party. No one appreciated being stonewalled.
The second (bomb near a gas line) was in a question by a member which, go figure, Dir. Cheatle couldn't confirm or deny. It was news to me too. The only other thing I learned today is that they still have no idea how he or the gun got onto the roof.

Its refreshing to see that it is being looked at from both sides. As it should be.

Remove Biden and Trump. Make it Jack and John. If John was the sitting president/candidate who hired her, and the candidate who was shot, I think it would be more difficult for that director to stonewall.

The Comperatore family would definitely disagree with you there. IMO
My heart is broken for the Comperatore family.

But your comment confuses me.

I don't know a lot about the family, and if they have spoken about the investigation, I didn't catch it. I would imagine the family wants a thorough and productive investigation and wants that used to make meaningful improvements in SS for everyone's safety in the future. In other words, I imagine they want the same thing I want, but it is much, much, much more personal to them.

I do not believe they "definitely" disagree with me.

MOO

That's makes me very sad and disappointed in our leaders. To allow and condone incompetency, without consequences, goes against the core of our nature.
Moo...
What did the Director do, or fail to do, within the scope of her duties, that was incompetent? How do you know, without any investigation?

Why would they, if they haven't proposed increases?
I'm not sure I understand your question. You're suggesting that they thought that budget cuts were to blame but because _____ (fill in the blank) they remained silent? That seems specious to me. Frankly, the hearing didn't strike me as partisan at all, especially given recent history. Both sides demanded answers, didn't recieve any, and dreaded the conspiracies on both sides which are sure to be fed by a senseless vacuum of facts. People were mad, and people were worried.

What did the Director do, or fail to do, within the scope of her duties, that was incompetent? How do you know, without any investigation?
Advanced a "gently sloping roof is too dangerous" excuse. Given the totality, that is enough for me.

In the end, one not need be religious to see the wisdom of "To whom much is given, much is expected." As head of the Secret Service, she has been given alot.

She failed to make sure that one of the most important persons under her care was properly protected from a single untrained 20 year old.

That means she's not doing her job and people got injured and killed because of her incompetence. We can't wait for her to figure things out and make changes months from now.

Time for her to go. JMO.

If there were anything but an election year, I would agree with you.

But, as this is an election year. Simply Southern's strong observation is going to carry alot of weight: The public expects concequences for gross failures. The public also expects competency evaluations to be non partisan.

My guess is that Team Trump is going to be loud and proud on both themes in the coming weeks to the say, the 10-15% of American swing voters who actually elect the president.

They Democrats dont want Trump leading debates with: "So.... Harris, what do you think about Cheatle?". Rather, they want news about Cheatle to be "old news".

Cheatle is going to be a distraction that the Democrats cannot afford. If Biden, or by extension, Jill will not fire her out of friendship, somebody very senior in DHS will.
It could be that just Biden can fire her and no one else?

"Political appointees do serve at “the pleasure of the president,” and the president can fire them. "

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

It's clear that the head of an agency like the Secret Service should be responsible and accountable for their job performance.

Director Cheatle has done a poor job in protecting President Trump and the rally attendees. And her testimony today reinforces her shortcomings. JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
KC said earlier today that the rooftop that TMC fired from was outside the SS security premeiter.

Is she trying to say that the rooftop outside the security premeiter is on another owners property?

Had the rally been outdoors in the downtown area of any major city, there would have been SS or LE agents on the rooftops of tall buildings no matter who owns the buildings or whose property it is on.

I don't buy KC's contention that the rooftop that TMC fired from is outside the SS security premeiter.

But it was outside the inner perimeter that they, the SS, designated. That, at least from everything we know, is true. Therein lies the problem, as many experts and laymen feel that it absolutely should have been part of their perimeter.

RSBM

The instructor, who declined to be identified, said his homework responses were thoughtful and his emails polite. He excelled at an assignment to redesign a toy for people with disabilities. “He did a chess set for the blind. He 3D-printed it. He put the Braille on it. He talked to experts in the field,” she recalled. “He really took a lot of care.”

So what happened to him? He seemed like he was a thoughtful, compassionate young person once.

She failed to make sure that one of the most important persons under her care was properly protected from a single untrained 20 year old.

That means she's not doing her job and people got injured and killed because of her incompetence. We can't wait for her to figure things out and make changes months from now.

Time for her to go. JMO.
Things went terribly wrong, and that's why we are fact-finding.

But nobody can tell that it is "time for her to go," at this point.

Should we skip the investigation all together and fire her now?

What if that means you never find out about fatal problems that would not be solved by firing her? What if there is a weakness this committee could expose that is currently making Trump vulnerable?

We need to do this right! At least, if we sincerely care about avoiding a repeat, we need to get this right.

MOO

This is not about the politicians, it is about Cheatle. We are all smart enough to ignore the political theater. There are answers that can be answered right now in front of us all, and her seeming distain for providing it is disgusting.
Everyone expects and anticipates a full investigation, but I, for one also expect the head of the Secret Service to care enough about what happened to actually visit the site before nine days had passed. I expect her face to be plastered in videos of her striding around Butler PA engaged in active serious conversations with agents and local LE. Where the heck has she been? At least she could pretend to be engaged.
I don’t expect her to micromanage everything, but, dagnabit, when something goes wrong, her job is to wade in and untangle the fishing line. She can sit behind her desk signing cr&p every single day, but concerning this she needs to get the h#ll up and DO something and she has done nothing for nine days. If she manages as apathetically as she appears, there is no questions as to why SS moral is so low.
Perception is in many ways reality. The reality is Cheatle may have been an outstanding SS agent, but in nine short days, she has proven herself to he a lousy leader. She is the definition of the Peter Principal.
Most of the questions the public wants to hear do not require violating national security, or anyone’s due process and should and can be answered now instead of two months from now. Answers will probably embarrass some folks, hurt some folks feelings, be hard to accept, anger folks. There will be yelling and screaming, and finger pointing, tears and disappointment. It’s going to hurt all of us. But I would rather have that than have to sit through two months of expressionless faces, and read about due process.
Somebody upthread commented that this is just not the way internal investigations are done. Well, it should be.

Things went terribly wrong, and that's why we are fact-finding.

But nobody can tell that it is "time for her to go," at this point.

Should we skip the investigation all together and fire her now?

What if that means you never find out about fatal problems that would not be solved by firing her? What if there is a weakness this committee could expose that is currently making Trump vulnerable?

We need to do this right! At least, if we sincerely care about avoiding a repeat, we need to get this right.

MOO
Director Cheatle can be fired and the investigation will continue.

I don't seen any reason why Secret Service investigators can't take directions from current supervisors and Cheatle's replacement. It's not like she's the only person who can lead the SS.

Besides she testified that the FBI is investigating this event. She's obviously separated from that organization and her leaving the Secret Service would have zero effect on them. JMO.

<modsnip- quoted post was removed>

It's clear that the head of an agency like the Secret Service should be responsible and accountable for their job performance.

Director Cheatle has done a poor job in protecting President Trump and the rally attendees. And her testimony today reinforces her shortcomings. JMO.
Agree. Even if she were to resign or be fired tomorrow, she would still be liable to investigation and rendering accounts etc for the time she was employed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back