DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/7721/0/
NamUs Profile:
Dental: Charted to be entered later
DNA: Initial inquiry underway
Fingerprints: NA

snipped from case report:
Circumstances Brittany Tavar disappeared from her home on 7/6/2010. A nationwide search is being conducted for 26 year-old Joseph Dean Roberts, as a person of interest. He was a transient whom she took into her home 2 weeks prior to her disappearance. He was seen outside her home three days after her disappearance walking her dogs. The following day her dogs were picked up without their collars near Columbia, S.C. They were identified by microchips implanted in their ears. Very early on Sunday, July 11, Joe Roberts was stopped for speeding in Evanston, WY, driving Tavar's Toyota Rav4. As there was no bulletin on her car yet, the police did not detail Roberts. A warrant has been issued for his arrest for grand theft auto. Roberts is described as a transient, having no address, who had been arrested twice in the previous two years.

The family is offering a $25,000 for information leading to his arrest.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/25008429/detail.html

26-Year-Old Man Sought Nationwide In Ponte Vedra Woman's Disappearance
POSTED: Tuesday, September 14, 2010
UPDATED: 5:07 pm EDT September 14, 2010

ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. -- Detectives said the person of interest in the case of a missing Ponte Vedra Beach woman looks like the All-American guy next door with no distinguishing marks or tattoos.

Joseph Roberts' appearance has made it even harder for detectives to find him. Investigators said they're investigating the possibility that he's changed his identity.

A couple of questions:

Does anyone know if the POI has any links to the Hopkins/Eastover areas of SC? Hopkins is not a particularly known area, one of the few things close to the area of interest is the Congaree National Swamp. Unless the POI was very familiar area, I have no solid idea as to why he would choose this area to drop off the dogs, unless he A) dumped Brittany's body in the Swamp hoping for the wildlife in the area to take care of the body, or B) left the dogs in the Swamp area in hopes that alligators or 18 wheelers would be the downfall of them.

In one of the previous posts(#80) someone mentioned something to the effect of the POI being back in Florida after the stop at the gas station in Walterboro, SC. Is this verified? just wanted to clarify since that would mean he had driven to SC and back to florida, which is unusual.
TYIA

eey...

I used the map attachment, which is a map indicating the trail of electronic transactions by Joseph Dean Roberts, while using Brittany's credit and debit cards, as created by the St. Johns Sheriff's office. See the attachment to message #36 herein. From that map and mapquest I then created a time- line. I was most interested in whether Roberts always used credit cards and debit cards to travel the related distances or if he sometimes traveled in "stealth mode" by using cash to hide his tracks. I was also interested in how much surplus time Roberts had (time over and above the required travel time in Brittany's 2004 Toyota RAV 4).

Yes, it was strange and unusual that Roberts was traced to the Carolina's initially and seen walking and driving alone, then back to Florida (multiple eye witnesses) and walking the dogs and then back to the Carolina's to drop-off/dump the dogs. But that is what the electronic trail suggests.

I think the time-line works like this:

BP Gas Station – VIDEO of BT
2919 Coastal Highway
St Augustine FL 32084
July 6, 2010 - Tuesday. 9:08 p.m. (EST)
Last time BT is seen alive

Tex O Land Gas (Discover) VIDEO of JDR only
1403 Sniders Highway
Walterboro, South Carolina 29488
July 8, 2010 - Thursday. 2:20 p.m. (EST)
Mapquest: 238 miles; 3 hours, 49 minutes. Near Charleston, SC.
Surplus Mileage and Time: 170 miles. (2004 Toyota RAV4 has a range of 410 miles per tank of gas). 38 hours of surplus time!

Citgo Gas Station (Discover)
5611 US-21
Jonesville, NC 28642
July 8, 2010 - Thursday. 9:20 p.m. (EST)
Mapquest: 258 miles; 4 hours, 8 minutes. Near Winston-Salem, NC.
Surplus Time and Mileage: 3 hours and 150 miles.

Personal Residence of Brittany Tavar. Observed JDR and dogs.
St. Augustine, FL 32084
July 9, 2010 - Friday. Assume noon (EST) for this analysis, however, time not disclosed.
Mapquest: 498 miles; 7 hours, 52 minutes. Missing at least one fuel station.
Surplus Time and Mileage: 6 ½ hours.

Rabbit Run, area of Garners Ferry Way (Dogs Recovered)
Hopkins, SC 29061
1st Dog Found, Kuebear. (Probably departs Florida Residence at night, assume 8:00 p.m.)
July 10, 2010 Saturday. 1600 (EST)
Mapquest: 336 miles; 5 hours, 18 minutes. Near Columbia, SC.
Surplus Time: 14 1/2 hours. Again missing a fuel stop.

I also agree that the relationship Joseph Dean Roberts has to the Carolina's holds, possibly, many answers. However, I also think that LE is focusing resources on finding him because he has the answers as to BT's location. I looked for relatives in the Carolina's, however, his name is so common it was difficult to verify. LE is better at it than I am. I did find two Joseph Roberts in the Carolina's but simply could not verify if they are the right ones. I felt one could be ruled out but this information was too speculative. He has four driver's licenses in four different states (Indiana, California, Delaware and Florida) and you would expect he would have traveled through the Carolina's between Delaware and Florida. I think winter might bring us some new sightings.

I would like to say where but Joey loves the Internet. You know who calls you Joey!!

-- St. Johns County investigators said Tuesday that items collected from the home of a missing 45-year-old Ponte Vedra woman had her blood on them.Investigators said the location of the blood and the circumstances surrounding Brittany Tavar's disappearance in July suggests she was met with foul play.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/25102329/detail.html

http://wokv.com/localnews/2010/09/blood-found-in-missing-womans.html

By Jeff Hess @ September 21, 2010 4:27 PM

There are new details in the strange disappearance of a St. Johns County woman.

Police said on Tuesday that items collected from the home 45-year-old Brittany Tavar had female blood on them.

Sgt. Chuck Mulligan said the location of the blood leads them to believe it is there as a result of foul play. He said it took some time to process the evidence.

Blood in Home Leads to Foul Play Conclusion in Search for Brittany Tavar
Today, Sgt. Chuck Mulligan with the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office said testing in her home revealed traces of blood.

Blood wasn't visible in the home when investigators initially went in, but forensic testing revealed it, he said.

DNA testing of the blood hasn't led to an identification yet, but the sheriff's office said it does appear to be the blood of a female.

The location of the blood and the circumstances of her disappearance have led to investigators saying foul play is most likely behind what happened to Tavar.
Read more: http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=168139&catid=3

So now I am wondering if that was really her on camera pumping gas at the BP gas station on 7/06. It did'nt look like her to me, but the video was at night. Was she hurt before she left with Roberts? I noticed in the article that he removed the dogs collars. He thought he was smart, but she was smarter than he - the dogs were chipped so that left another clue as to his travellings/whereabouts. He will be caught, I only wish sooner than later.

Oh no! I am so sad to hear this, yet it was what I feared, I didn't wish to think about it. I hope that evil person is found soon. There's no telling where he is or who else he may have harmed along the way. His face is etched in my memory because he is the most dangerous type of perp.....a pretty boy facade full of evil inside. Ted Bundy comes to mind.

Thinking of Brittany's family and friends at this time.

MOO

wm

If he had no problem killing a human being, why didn't he just kill the dogs too? I can't understand what sort of alibi or scenario he was trying to build with these dogs?

Why not kill them and submerge them in the swamp? Wouldn't he think her family would want custody of the dogs? I'm stuck on this. Why did he let the dogs live?

Oh no! I am so sad to hear this, yet it was what I feared, I didn't wish to think about it. I hope that evil person is found soon. There's no telling where he is or who else he may have harmed along the way. His face is etched in my memory because he is the most dangerous type of perp.....a pretty boy facade full of evil inside. Ted Bundy comes to mind.

Thinking of Brittany's family and friends at this time.

MOO

wm

I just getting caught up on Brittany's thread. From page one I was thinking Ted Bundy.

If he had no problem killing a human being, why didn't he just kill the dogs too? I can't understand what sort of alibi or scenario he was trying to build with these dogs?

Why not kill them and submerge them in the swamp? Wouldn't he think her family would want custody of the dogs? I'm stuck on this. Why did he let the dogs live?

This show to me he like animals but has no use for humans.

Many reasons for that.

He could used the dogs to look less suspicious or to lure victims.

This show to me he like animals but has no use for humans.

Many reasons for that.

He could used the dogs to look less suspicious or to lure victims.

Good points. Or maybe he has some sick story that he is telling himself in which preserving their lives honored her memory. Many killers use all kinds of psychological stories to convince themselves that what they did was justifiable or somehow excused.

The dogs will be an important clue in this case. And the stories we tell ourselves often undo us. JMO. :Banane15::Banane15:

Have you seen this man?
Call police

100810wanted_roberts.jpg
100810wanted_Roberts2.jpg

Joseph Dean Roberts

The kind of car Roberts was last scene driving
Dark Blue 2004 Toyota Rav4 - Florida license plate Q66 2NJ
Car_Front_view.jpg
Car_Back.jpg
Anyone with information concerning this investigation or anyone with information on the whereabouts of Joseph Roberts or Brittany Tavar is asked to contact Detectives George Harrigan or Charles Brantley at the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office at (904) 824-8304.

Additional information about this investigation can be found at the St. John's County Sheriff's Office website at www.sjso.org.

You can also email tips to crimetips@sjso.org, or through your local Crime Stoppers.

Detectives George Harrigan and Charles Brantley are currently in Portland, Oregon meeting with local law enforcement and are available for media interviews.
Detective Brantley can be reached at (904) 669-4437 and Detective Harrigan can be reached at (904) 669-1382.

full article: http://www.kval.com/news/national/100374469.html

He hardly looks like the face of a killer! Just goes to show, we never know what a killer truly looks like!

Just a matter of time, he cannot run forever! We need to get his photo, the vehicle description/tag, and this story out there. I wonder if Homeland security border crossing into Canada has knowledge??? I am so glad the detectives are on the west coast; they are obviously there for a reason!

This is a really strange case.

I just finished reading all the posts on BT and a few people have referred to her as 'vulnerable'. I just do not see anything vulnerable about this woman.

Search on for Ponte Vedra woman

Tavar was charged with battery in her home after deputies said she fought there in January 2009 with dinner party guest and neighbor Ann Lydon. Lydon claimed Tavar hit her over the head with a wine bottle and cut her with a butter knife. Tavar confessed to choking Lydon, who had lacerations and swelling on the back of her head.

Responding Deputy Mark Wilson described Tavar’s demeanor as “angry” and “irrational

“I observed an extremely cluttered residence with furniture in disarray and objects seemingly thrown about the residence,” he wrote in the report. A man named William Cuthbertson was renting a room month-to-month from Tavar at the time but decided to move out after the brawl, Wilson wrote.

Tavar was eventually charged with battery.

http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/2010-07-20/search-ponte-vedra-woman

She doesn't seem stable to me. Apparently there were also a lawsuit in the family courts of which the reporter in the above article could not find the info for.

Why did she lie to her boyfriend about who Roberts was? She called him her 'nephew'? She had had other 'roommates' and no one has said she referred to them as anything but.

It was also stated that she would have never missed her court date... She had already admitted to choking the woman so I doubt she would have been found innocent.

The membership dues are not cheap and she has no known employment.

The initiation fees are anywhere from $3000 to $5000 and the annual dues are around $1235.

https://serenataclub.memberstatements.com/tour/tours.cfm?tourid=2582

The article about the blood being found was written on Sept. 21. I am going to assume that the crime scene people looked at the house, and detected the blood, just prior to the article. If that is so why wasn't the house investigated as a crime scene back in July? Going back and determining foul play, even though the article just says the blood belongs to a female, 2 1/2 months later is sad.

What did the LE think happened to her prior to this past week?

What I think is that BT had every intention of taking off and going somewhere before this court date. I think JR was going with her and when they got to SC something happened. He might have said something that she found offensive. I doubt she caught him in a lie because he was a transient for godsakes. She knew there was something wrong for him not to have anywhere to live or a job. What was he going to lie about? The only arrest records anyone has been able to locate are for petty theft.

I think two people with serious issues had the most unfortunate luck of running into eachother and like in other cases it ended in murder.

I do not want anyone to get the feeling that I am victim bashing. I am just curious on how this 45 year old woman, who has a house and a club membership, gets involved with a 26 year old transient?

All BBM and my comments are in blue.

JMOO!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marytb