FL FL - Broward Co., WhtFem Skeletal 757UFFL, 46-60, silver wedding band, Nov'86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There are "USM" jewelry which is United States Marine Corp which may mean something though???

moo

There are "USM" jewelry which is United States Marine Corp which may mean something though???

moo

I did some searching on that but didn't come up with anything. The design doesn't seem to have any USMC significance, either. It's just a design.

I should have taken the picture of the ring with me when I talked to the jewelry store guy, instead of just asking about the 14K.

Well this forum is not letting me attach but there most certainly "USM" Marine Corp Jewelry....wedding bands and such. Google it.

I do not know how they stamp their products.....which would be interesting if they could identify or rule out the pic of the ring.

moo

Doesn't look like engraving, does look like YEM to me, but I'd say that that band was likely manufactured in Yemen for export to Western markets.

Actually, the star-like design looks like the pointed stars in the Marine jewelry that I found by vendors on their sites.

It most certainly states "14k" so no doubt American made. If it was from a foreign country, it could say .583 which is a gold stamp. Sometimes they know they're selling it to America and stamp it with "14k".

I think her hubby or her was in the Marines.....

Actually, the star-like design looks like the pointed stars in the Marine jewelry that I found by vendors on their sites.

It most certainly states "14k" so no doubt American made. If it was from a foreign country, it could say .583 which is a gold stamp. Sometimes they know they're selling it to America and stamp it with "14k".

I think her hubby or her was in the Marines.....

Hm, you could be right. I didn't think it looked like a star design, more like boxes, but maybe.

Hm, you could be right. I didn't think it looked like a star design, more like boxes, but maybe.

The design looks like X's(kisses) and O's(hugs) to me! And pretty sure it was made by a jeweler with the stamp "YEM" and not the UID's initials. Too, like someone else said YEM could also mean that it was made in Yemen to be sold here in the USA.....
Now, to search for Jane's match.....

I found a Yemen jeweler based in Israel, not sure if this is useful in anyway. According to their website the family has been making jewelry for a long time.

http://www.yemenite-art.com/about.aspx

Looking to see if they stamp YEM on their goods....

It seems that there's a tradition of Jewish silversmithing in Yemen, though it might be dying out (sorry, don't have the link). There are also, I've heard, a number of Jewish ladies in Florida. I know that every once in awhile when I was attending a Catholic church in Wisconsin (back in VT, need to change that in my profile), Christian artisans from the ME (where things are generally not going very well for non-Muslims these days, though Father Mick wouldn't mention it) would show up to peddle their wares after Mass. I'm wondering if a nearby synagogue might have hosted such an outfit from Yemen, to provide support for the Jewish community there, and this lady picked up her ring there.

If it's 14K, it's white gold rather than silver or pewter. Pricey for a craft jeweler to work with. But possible, I suppose.

Friend of mine who makes jewelry said it could also be the jeweler's initials/mark, or a model code. She'd expect a Yemeni mark to be in Arabic script, though.

The more I look at it, the more I can't make that first letter look like a Y. Also, that middle E looks like it could be one of those fancy "and" signs, the kind that looks like an E with a couple of lines above and below.

Hm, you're right, there is quite a resemblance.

I found this recent article about the case: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2012/11/20/opp_reopen_1972_missing_woman_case_in_apsley.html

Sounds like they suspect she was murdered at the time.

Yes, her husband waited three days before reporting her missing. Long enough to be sure she was safely out of the country? Apparently, he remarried shortly after she disappeared, so he had good reason to make sure she was deceased if she ever resurfaced. But, did she leave of her own accord and head to Florida? Was her disappearance from her home arranged?

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer....o-the-disappearance-of-francis-harris-in-1972

I've submitted the potential match. Who knows? Maybe since a murder investigation is ongoing, it might not take too long to hear back.

Good. She certainly could be a match, and there could be something to your theory of a staged disappearance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliver
Back