GUILTY FL - Carlie Brucia, 11, Sarasota, 1 February 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A hastily constructed extension of the jury box in courtroom 2A is probably the most concrete indication that court officials realize holding Joseph P. Smith's trial here won't be easy.

The trial of Smith, who is accused of kidnapping, raping and killing 11-year-old Carlie Brucia, is set to begin next week and could last through Thanksgiving.

This week, Circuit Judge Andrew Owens and attorneys are working to choose 12 jurors and six alternates, a larger panel than is seated in most cases.
http://www.newscoast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051101/NEWS/511010439

The death penalty took center stage in a Sarasota courtroom Tuesday as lawyers worked for a second week to pick a jury in the trial of the man accused of kidnapping, raping and killing 11-year-old Carlie Brucia last year.

Most potential jurors questioned Tuesday said they could judge Joseph P. Smith fairly and impartially -- and could recommend that he be sentenced to death if found guilty.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051102/NEWS/511020351/1004/RSS&source=RSS

It was the surveillance video footage of a man clutching the arm of 11-year-old Carlie Brucia that caught the attention of the nation, and Court TV.

The national crime and court TV network is slated to arrive in Sarasota this weekend, gearing up for the Joseph P. Smith trial scheduled to start Monday.

"This is a case that received a lot of attention at the time," said Court TV correspondent Savannah Guthrie. "Because of the video, people almost witnessed the abduction."

Court TV will televise the trial live, from gavel to gavel

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/13066691.htm

MAKING THE CASE
SARASOTA -- One of the most crucial pieces of evidence in the Carlie Brucia case was broadcast across the country: 10 seconds from a car-wash surveillance video showing a dark-haired man grabbing the hand of 11-year-old Carlie and leading her away.

It's an unforgettable image in a murder case in which many details remain unknown.

Circuit Judge Andrew Owens sealed nearly half of the 2,000 pages of evidence early last year because of concerns that Joseph P. Smith might not get a fair trial if too much information was made public.

The murder trial set to begin Monday could answer any lingering questions about what happened to Carlie and how authorities can link Smith to the crime.

"Now we're going to know everything, and that's scary," said Tracy Bisel, a mother who lived next door to Carlie and often looked after her. "It's going to be hard."

Still under seal are many of the case's most gruesome details, including autopsy results, any DNA evidence that might link Smith to her death, and what Smith told his mother and brother about his actions on Feb. 1, 2004, the day Carlie disappeared.

Smith's defense team will have a tough job: to attack a body of evidence that prosecutors and other legal experts say overwhelmingly proves Smith did it.

"It's about as strong a case as one could expect," said Larry Byrd, a former chief prosecutor and defense attorney from Sarasota who has tried about a dozen death penalty cases. "They caught the crime on tape. The tape almost speaks for itself."

More: http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051106/NEWS/511060558/1060/INDEX01

It's also 4 pages of info

Do we have any websleuthers in the vicinity of Sarasota that are planning to attend this trial?

Initially, I had planned to attend at least a portion of it - but, since CTV is covering it gavel to gavel - I may re-think my plans as I have so much to do here at home.

Also - Sarasota is a bit of a hike from the Orlando area - not a daily return trip kind of excursion. I'd originally planned on staying part of the time with a family member that lives over there during the winter months. Who knows - maybe I'll still go. Undecided! :confused:

So guys ... do we have any WS eyewitness reporters? :D

13th Juror

MrsMush99 said:
Is anyone watching this?

I am, MrsMush. :)

Much work to do at home today so I've got the trial running on every TV in the house so as not to miss anything. <lol>

The prosecutor's opening statement contained some chilling details I hadn't heard previously in the media.

With ALL the facts & evidence that LE has on Smith's guilt - I'm amazed that he chose to go to trial. IMO - he's toast!

13th Juror

One of the talking heads on CTV said that the only reason why he's going to trial is because of the death penalty. What do you think of the defense attorney? Everytime he starts talking I think of Ferris Buellers Day Off, Bueller, Bueller. I know I'm bad, this is a serious trial, but I couldn't help myself! :D

13th Juror said:
With ALL the facts & evidence that LE has on Smith's guilt - I'm amazed that he chose to go to trial. IMO - he's toast!

13th Juror
[/COLOR]

They've got nothing to lose by having the trial. They don't have to pay for anything and they've got nothing better to do, so no skin off of their noses. The defense attorney tells them they may get a juror who may buy their sob stories about childhood abuse or growing up without a father or living in poverty and having to go to school in ripped shoes, drugs taking, blah, blah, blah and may spare them the death penalty. My favorite part is when they poll the jurors afterward and the defendant gets to hear the word "guilty" over and over and over. :D

:banghead: I can't wait till They say, "DEATH!" His sob story will mean nothing, at least I hope this jury is not that stupid to buy into this crap. That is the only comment I have for this peice of chit.

I don't even know if I can handle watching this display. Just bury him quick.:twocents:

Jeana (DP) said:
The defense attorney tells them they may get a juror who may buy their sob stories about childhood abuse or growing up without a father or living in poverty and having to go to school in ripped shoes, drugs taking, blah, blah, blah and may spare them the death penalty. My favorite part is when they poll the jurors afterward and the defendant gets to hear the word "guilty" over and over and over. :D
Gozgals

Sue Schorpen will be at the center of the Carlie Brucia trial, even if she doesn't show up.

As of Saturday, she said she was still considering whether to attend the trial. The deciding factor: "My sanity," she said.

Since Schorpen's daughter was abducted and murdered last year, she has, in a way, been on trial herself.

Rumors repeatedly have circulated that she knew Joseph P. Smith, the man charged with her daughter's murder, although there has been no evidence to support them.

Schorpen has separated from her husband and lost custody of her young son because she failed a drug test administered by child welfare officials after they received a complaint about her fitness as a parent.
http://www.newscoast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051107/NEWS/511070488/-1/CARLIE

This whole case is so horrible. We saw it unfold and we saw the ultimate. He is so guilty and my heart breaks for Carlie. Nothing takes away from the trauma and what this child had to suffer. I am so about not letting these children suffer.

The attorney for the man accused of killing 11-year-old Carlie Brucia is raising questions about DNA evidence prosecutors say prove Joseph Smith raped and strangled the Sarasota girl more than 21 months ago.

Smith’s attorney, Adam Tebrugge, told jurors that investigators got the names of numerous suspects after the videotape was shown. He said one man lived at the friend’s house where Carlie had spent the previous night.

But even though the man had told investigators he had discussed sexual topics with Carlie, Tebrugge says Smith became their primary suspect almost immediately.
http://www.wtsp.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=20869

Jeana (DP) said:
They've got nothing to lose by having the trial. They don't have to pay for anything and they've got nothing better to do, so no skin off of their noses. The defense attorney tells them they may get a juror who may buy their sob stories about childhood abuse or growing up without a father or living in poverty and having to go to school in ripped shoes, drugs taking, blah, blah, blah and may spare them the death penalty. My favorite part is when they poll the jurors afterward and the defendant gets to hear the word "guilty" over and over and over. :D
That defense doesn't get any sympathy from me. For every child that has a horrible upbringing and resorts to crime, there are hundred of others who grow up in the same circumstances to be successful law abiding adults. They have a choice to which path they take in life. My two sons grew up without a father, I lived at one time at the poverty level and they had to do without a lot things, I didn't live in the best of neighborhoods and drugs were all around them. I just did the best I could with what I had. I am very proud to say they both graduated from high school with honors and are both college students now.
That is an adult and he did a horrible, horrible thing to an innocent child! That's all I need to know and that's all that matters. JMO

I oppose the death penalty, only because it is not just. How can a person be sentenced to death and wait 10 plus years to be executed. When all pleas run out they strap him on a gurney with an IV, injects a drug that puts him to sleep then administers the lethal dose that kills him, all while sleeping.

I'm sorry this is not right. Did the Carlie's, Laci's, Conner's, Danielle's, Amber's, Samantha's, Dylan's, Natalee's Taylor's (I could go on) of this world get the same consideration? NO they did not.

I can't even discuss how horrific these childrens' deaths were. It just makes me sick.

I'm sorry that these convicted murderers had such a hard or in some cases privledged life. These people still had choices. They chose the wrong one.

If an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth was our justice system. I bet the majority of the children would be with us today.

Thanks for letting me vent! Although, I don't feel better. I'm afraid, another child will be taken much too soon.

partyuv5 said:
I oppose the death penalty, only because it is not just. How can a person be sentenced to death and wait 10 plus years to be executed. When all pleas run out they strap him on a gurney with an IV, injects a drug that puts him to sleep then administers the lethal dose that kills him, all while sleeping.
I'm not bashing you for your opinions, but 10 years is way too long to let someone live once they get the death sentence. Dying in their sleep is a much more peaceful death than their victims probably had. They at least aren't experiencing the pain and horror of being murdered when they did nothing to deserve it.

partyuv5 said:
I'm sorry this is not right. Did the Carlie's, Laci's, Conner's, Danielle's, Amber's, Samantha's, Dylan's, Natalee's Taylor's (I could go on) of this world get the same consideration? NO they did not.
Consideration of what? Getting to live another 10 years before they died? I don't understand what you mean by this.

partyuv5 said:
I can't even discuss how horrific these childrens' deaths were. It just makes me sick.
Yes it's very sickening, and what's wrong with wanting justice for these horrific acts?

partyuv5 said:
I'm sorry that these convicted murderers had such a hard or in some cases privledged life. These people still had choices. They chose the wrong one.
Yes they did, and there are consequences with their choices. If they had a privledged life, there is absolutely no excuse for their choices. After all they already were where 99% of us want to be in life and threw it away. As with everything else in life, you play, you pay.

partyuv5 said:
If an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth was our justice system. I bet the majority of the children would be with us today.
They probably would not. That saying goes back practically to the beginning of time and it hasn't deterred the killing of innocents.

partyuv5 said:
Thanks for letting me vent! Although, I don't feel better. I'm afraid, another child will be taken much too soon.
I totally agree with you on this! It's a sad world we live in when children and random innocent people are murdered. And again, please don't think I am bashing your opinion, I just have a different view of this. In the end, I believe God will be the final judge, only His punishment is everlasting and eternal.

Sadie, maybe you misuderstood me. I am angry. I want every killer to die by the same means that the killed another. I don't want any murderer to die easy. That was part of the point I was trying to make. Lethal injection is too easy compared to how these worthless people took other lives.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back