GUILTY FL - Carlie Brucia, 11, Sarasota, 1 February 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I guess Carlie's Mom has had problems for a long time. I did watch the trial, but didn't know too much about the mother until I started reading the recent articles.

Brucia's mom no stranger to law enforcement (NBC2 News Online)--1/11/06

A woman whose public pain was witnessed by millions across the country is no stranger to law enforcement.

Sarasota deputies have made 69 trips to the home of Susan Schorpen since 1992, not including visits regarding the murder of the woman's daughter, Carlie Brucia.

More at link:http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=5487&z=3&p=

It's a good thing the videotape captured it, or we might have had another Westerfield case where some people think that only virtuous and perfect parent's kids are killed by strangers, all other kids are killed by their parents or their lowlife friends. Carlie's mom had problems and still does, but she seems to have been good for her daughter, and I'm sure the stress and sorrow and misery of having lost her daughter hasn't done her any good.

I don't really trust the National Enquirer, but they give another angle.. http://www.nationalenquirer.com/crime/63338
It states : Murdered schoolgirl Carlie Brucia didn't deserve this. The National Enquirer has learned that her mother Susan Schorpen, an admitted drug user, left her slain 11-year-old daughter's ashes in a seedy crack den six months ago. The ashes were in a small copper urn which was left inside the sordid house used by prostitutes and drug addicts.
When we broke the sad news to Carlie's father, Joe Brucia, he said angrily: "It's unconscionable — the most horrible thing I can think of. It sheds light on the real Susan Schorpen."
In an exclusive interview with The National Enquirer, family friend Thelma Underwood, 45, revealed how she learned of the way Susan heartlessly left her dead daughter's ashes. Thelma said she was dating Susan's brother Kurt when they drove to the home of one of his friends. As he left, a man approached their truck's window.

Thelma said: "A man came running out of the house with an urn. "He thrust it through the window. 'Can you take this?' he asked. 'It's Carlie. Susan left her remains here and I don't know what to do.'"

According to Thelma, when Kurt saw the urn he broke down in tears. "He recognized the urn right away," she said. "'That's my niece's remains,' he told me.

"I later learned that the house we'd been to was used for prostitution and that crack cocaine was available there."

I dont know if the article is trustworthy or not.. just thought it was interesting.

Jean said:
I guess Carlie's Mom has had problems for a long time. I did watch the trial, but didn't know too much about the mother until I started reading the recent articles.

Brucia's mom no stranger to law enforcement (NBC2 News Online)--1/11/06

A woman whose public pain was witnessed by millions across the country is no stranger to law enforcement.

Sarasota deputies have made 69 trips to the home of Susan Schorpen since 1992, not including visits regarding the murder of the woman's daughter, Carlie Brucia.

More at link:http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=5487&z=3&p=
Sadly there is more news on Susan Schorpen, Carlie's mom.

http://huffcrimeblog.com/

Steve Huff has written an article dated Jan. 11, 2006 about the disappearance of Susan.
It is truly heartbreaking!

Discussion continues at the Missing Persons Forum....

rayray said:
I don't really trust the National Enquirer, but they give another angle.. http://www.nationalenquirer.com/crime/63338
It states : Murdered schoolgirl Carlie Brucia didn't deserve this. The National Enquirer has learned that her mother Susan Schorpen, an admitted drug user, left her slain 11-year-old daughter's ashes in a seedy crack den six months ago. The ashes were in a small copper urn which was left inside the sordid house used by prostitutes and drug addicts.
When we broke the sad news to Carlie's father, Joe Brucia, he said angrily: "It's unconscionable — the most horrible thing I can think of. It sheds light on the real Susan Schorpen."
In an exclusive interview with The National Enquirer, family friend Thelma Underwood, 45, revealed how she learned of the way Susan heartlessly left her dead daughter's ashes. Thelma said she was dating Susan's brother Kurt when they drove to the home of one of his friends. As he left, a man approached their truck's window.

Thelma said: "A man came running out of the house with an urn. "He thrust it through the window. 'Can you take this?' he asked. 'It's Carlie. Susan left her remains here and I don't know what to do.'"

According to Thelma, when Kurt saw the urn he broke down in tears. "He recognized the urn right away," she said. "'That's my niece's remains,' he told me.

"I later learned that the house we'd been to was used for prostitution and that crack cocaine was available there."

I dont know if the article is trustworthy or not.. just thought it was interesting.
Well, if this article is true, Thelma and Kurt have no right to look down on Susan. The friend's house that they visited was used for prostitution and crack cocaine so, that puts them in a certain category. Susan is to be pitied.

I totally agree... I feel nothing but pity for this woman.. She probably knows no other way to "numb" her pain but with drugs. However.. I do agree that she stole from her father, as posted earlier. I honestly hope she gets caught.. then maybe she can get the help she needs.

well there you go.. I never really trust the enquirer, just thought it was interesting... I made sure to mention I wasnt sure of the truth :)

I hope she is found safe and alive. I bet she has relocated. Hopefully for a new start on life. Although that doesn't sound likely. Maybe with treatment she could realize that she does still have a son that needs his momma and probably doesn't understand why she is not there. I hope she can come to here senses and learn to "live" for him and the memory of Carlie. May God and Carlie look over her and steer her in the right direction.

rayray said:
I totally agree... I feel nothing but pity for this woman.. She probably knows no other way to "numb" her pain but with drugs. However.. I do agree that she stole from her father, as posted earlier. I honestly hope she gets caught.. then maybe she can get the help she needs.

From what I understand she had a drug problem before Carlie disappeared. It's sad that's she's putting her family through this. Her father was really trying to help her and she abused his kindness. Hopefully she will get treatment elsewhere.

Family accused Schorpen of theft

The mother of a Sarasota girl whose abduction was captured on a car wash surveillance camera is being sought by the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office after family members filed a report accusing her of stealing money and jewelry Monday.

The brother of Susan Schorpen, Carlie Brucia's mother, filed a report with the Sheriff's Office Monday alleging that Schorpen cashed a check for $800, and took a wallet with $300 cash, a ring valued at $5,000 and a gas credit card from her father's Deep Creek home.

The brother, Paul Schorpen, filed the report on behalf of his father, Egil Schorpen, who is in the first stages of Alzheimer's disease, according to the report.

No charges have been filed, according to CCSO spokesman Bob Carpenter.

"Right now, it's just an investigation," he said Wednesday. "First thing we have to do is find Schorpen to talk to her."

Egil refused to comment Wednesday.

"Stop bothering me with this (stuff)," he said before hanging up the phone.
http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchive4/011306/tp6de6.htm?date=011306&story=tp6de6.htm

From the above article, Kurt Schorpen, Susan's bro is the one who signed the blank check. Both Susan and Kurt are alleged to be drug abuser's. From the way I read the article, the two may be together. No charges have been filed in the theft, so I suspect the family may be more concerned about locating Susan and getting her into treatment, then in actually prosecuting her for the theft. Can't say I really blame them. And something that many families are faced with every day.

From what I had first heard about this, I wondered if Susan didn't steal the money to buy enough drugs to kill herself. But the more I am seeing, I suspect that she and the bro. may just be out partying it up.
Susan has faced something that no parent should ever have to stand. The senseless death of her dau. at the hands of a sex offender. And I am sure she has a lot of guilt feelings over that, some may be deserved and some not. Reports are that she has been trying to stay clean, at least during the trial. But now the trial is over, and nothing but the emptiness remains. During the trial, she had attention and assistance. Afterwards, she had only memories and probably the worst memories are what are in her mind the most. Then, there is a stabbing at her home, and a controversy over that. That would be bound to bring a lot of unresolved feelings to the fore. In her mind, she may be trying to break from all of that. She hasn't figured out yet that it will follow her until she deals with it.

I hope that Susan is found and placed in a lockdown facility for a long period of time. It takes at least a month for an addicts heads to clear enough to even absorb what they are taught in classes and groups in treatment. That is why long term treatment is so much better when a person has used drugs for a long time. Maybe if they can keep her clean for a period of time she will want to change her life for her little boy and for herself.

It's not surprising that she stole from her father. An addicts first love is the drug and they aren't choosy as to how they get the money for the drugs. Sad that her dad is sick. He hasn't had an easy life what with his kids on drugs for years and then losing little Carlie like he did. A sad situation.

Who has Susan's little boy? Is he in foster care or with a family member or maybe with his dad?

I hope and pray that Susan does get into treatment and that she will want the help. I know it has to be so easy to just self medicate so that the pain will go away for a little while. Just knowing the way Carley died would just be hell to live with. My heart goes out to her.

It appears that the enquirer story was false concerning Carlies ashes being left at a crack house. According to the Sarasota-Herald she left the ashes at a Victims Advocates group where she had been staying. It also says she left her mothers ashes there as well. I was surprised to read that, because I had not heard that her mom had passed away. Her mom had custody of her son leif so I wonder where he is now? Poor boy. Susan is still in the Sarasota area tho. My aunt saw her at a post office parking lot yesterday. This poor woman has lost her daughter and now apparently her mother too. No wonder she is trying to hide away and probably wishing she could just die herself.

The jury that found Joseph P. Smith guilty of kidnapping and killing 11-year-old Carlie Brucia could not unanimously agree that Smith deserved the death penalty for his crime.

Jurors voted 10-2 to recommend a death sentence, which is now under review by the trial judge.

Smith's case is not unusual. Unanimous jury recommendations for death are rare in Florida, even in cases involving heinous crimes such as the killing of a child or multiple murders.

A state Supreme Court review of 484 death cases handled by that court in the 1990s showed only 16 percent of cases had a unanimous jury recommendation. More than 13 percent of the cases had the minimum vote for death, a 7-5 recommendation from a 12-member jury.
http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060116/NEWS/601160439

My aunt did not tell anyone about seeing Susan. She felt, as i do also, that this poor woman has been thru enough and even though she should not have stole from her own family, perhaps that is something they should work out privately. I was surprised like another poster that her father even gave her a blank check... what was he thinking...anyhow at least she is still alive and safe I guess to some degree.

Posted: Jan 20, 2006

St. Petersburg, Florida - Susan Schorpen, the mother of slain 11-year-old Carlie Brucia, was arrested just after midnight on 4th Street North in Saint Petersburg. Schorpen is charged with posession of crack cocaine and "facility prostitution."

The facility prostitution charge means she initiated an amount and a prostitution act to an undercover police officer.

Schorpen is scheduled to appear in court Friday afternoon.

Charlotte County deputies had been looking for the mother of Carlie Brucia, the girl whose abduction was captured by a car wash security camera.

Authorities say they were told that Schorpen, who has battled drug addiction, stole thousands in money and jewelry from her father last week and then disappeared.

The sheriff's office says she cashed an $800 check January fourth written by her father to pay for her to stay in a residential drug treatment program.

A crime victim's advocate with whom she had been staying says arrangements were made for Schorpen to check into the program January 3rd.

Until last night's arrest, she hadn't been seen since she cashed the check.

Schorpen's father and a brother have filed a report with the sheriff's office accusing her of stealing cash, credit cards and a ring worth $5,000.

Charges from Charlotte County are pending.

Susan Schorpen's drug use became known after the highly publicized abduction and slaying of Carlie Brucia by mechanic Joseph Smith in February 2004.

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=24130

Thanks for the update, fourboys.
I pray she gets help for her sad situation.
Hopefully, she can turn her life back around.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKT
Back