FL - Cats being mutilated and killed in miami-dade, fl

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Judge Says Miami Cat Killings Suspect Poses No Danger to Community

June 17, 2009

The Miami teen accused of brutally killing nearly two dozen cats can be released on bail because he poses no danger to himself or the community, a judge ruled Wednesday.

The teen, Tyler Weinman, 18, has been charged with 19 counts of animal cruelty, four counts of burglary and 19 counts of improper disposing of an animal body.

Judge John Thornton ordered Weinman released after a brief hearing, the Associated Press reported. His bond, which was set at $249,500, was posted Tuesday. The judge had previously ordered a pschiatric evaluation for the suspect.

Weinman, who appeared in a Miami-Dade County courtroom in a red, jail-issued uniform, will wear an electronic monitoring bracelet while he awaits his trial and will be allowed to attend counseling sessions that were recommended by a doctor after a court-ordered psychiatric evaluation, according to the AP.

"He is competent to proceed and does not, at this time, appear to be at risk of harming himself or others," Thornton said.

more at: http://abcnews.go.com/US/AmazingAnimals/story?id=7862192&page=1

Thats an outrage! Like h#ll he doesn't! He poses as a threat to the community and all the feline community!
Sociopaths start on animals and work their way to people :furious:

http://cbs4.com/local/tyler.weinman.cat.2.1057507.html

Debate Over Arrest Affidavit In Cat Killings
Motion To Unseal The Affidavit Filed CBS4 & Miami Herald

Prosecutors have said that one of the major reasons they want the record kept under seal for at least another three weeks is that other suspects in the cat killings are named in the documents. During a hearing last Friday, Judge John Thornton informed the State Attorney that they'd better come up with more compelling witnesses and reason for keeping this arrest document secret any longer. If the State cannot produce such argument or evidence, Judge Thornton indicated from the bench that he'll release some form of the arrest affidavit, perhaps with parts blacked out.

I don't believe LE just randomly picked him as the alleged killer without any evidence. MOO

Me neither. I think his parents are idiots to allow him back into the house. What if he snaps and attacks them? :waitasec:

Me neither. I think his parents are idiots to allow him back into the house. What if he snaps and attacks them? :waitasec:
It's typical behavior though to believe their child is innocent. Look at the other cases we follow where humans are killed and the parents still believe their child just couldn't have done it. :banghead:

Affidavit in cat mutilation case will be released

MIAMI - The sealed arrest affidavit of a teenager accused of killing more than a dozen cats in south Miami-Dade County will be released early next month, a judge ordered today.
After an evidentiary hearing, Miami-Dade Circuit Judge John Thornton ordered that Tyler Hayes Weinman's sealed affidavit be released July 6, the same day the teen is scheduled to be arraigned on charges related to the gruesome crimes. The affidavit, which details evidence against Weinman, will not be redacted, except for the addresses of law enforcement officers.
"I don't know that one side won and one side lost," said attorney Scott Ponce, who represented The Miami Herald and a CBS affiliate in their efforts to get the affidavit released. "I think that with the assistance of the judge, (we) found something that accommodates both sides — the state's desire to not impede or harm their investigation, and the public and press' right to get this as fast as they can in an unredacted form."
Weinman, 18, has been charged with more than 19 counts each of animal cruelty and improperly disposing of an animal body. He also faces four counts of burglary related to the cat deaths.
Thornton heard from witnesses before issuing his ruling. Both Assistant State Attorney Michael Von Zamft and Ponce were present for the proceedings, which lasted more than two hours. Weinman did not attend Wednesday's hearing.
Authorities sealed the affidavit after Weinman's arrest earlier this month, saying law enforcement officers were still investigating the case. The affidavit will be released on July 6, regardless of whether the arraignment is rescheduled.
"We hope to complete the rest of the investigation by July 6, whether there are additional arrests by then or not," Von Zamft said.

more of story at http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/ju...tilation-case-will-be-released/news-breaking/

It's typical behavior though to believe their child is innocent. Look at the other cases we follow where humans are killed and the parents still believe their child just couldn't have done it. :banghead:

yeah, i know. but it's so frustrating for us outsiders!

:banghead: is right!

Should schools cut animal dissections?
Dissecting cats in the classroom: Is it a hands-on learning experience or an archaic tradition that teaches disregard for life?

The sight of a dissected frog is a familiar one to generations of high-schoolers who donned gloves and grimaced their way through biology class by scrutinizing the inner workings of an amphibian.

But for many of today's classroom scientists, it goes beyond slicing open frogs and insects. Some classrooms are carving up dead fetal pigs, sharks, rats and cats.

Advocates say there is no substitute for learning about anatomy than hands-on experience, and many states, including Florida, allow students to opt out if they are uncomfortable with animal dissection.

Nevertheless, critics, including educators and animal rights activists, say dissecting animals -- which goes back to the 1400s -- is archaic. They say more humane, cost-effective and high-tech alternatives are just as educational.

The debate has been rekindled with the June 13 arrest of a former Miami Palmetto High student accused of slaughtering 19 cats across South Miami-Dade. Tyler Weinman, 18, who faces multiple counts of animal cruelty, dissected cats last year as part of his anatomy class.

(snipped)

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/education/story/1107944.html

Should schools cut animal dissections?
Dissecting cats in the classroom: Is it a hands-on learning experience or an archaic tradition that teaches disregard for life?

(snipped)

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/education/story/1107944.html
Yes I believe they should, in biology class taught in high school as required curriculum. In this case, however, I do believe the mutilations would have occurred whether or not the alleged killer actually participated in dissection in school. There is a vast difference between studying anatomy and killing/mutilation for the sick thrill of watching an animal suffer. MOO

There was a situation here in Kansas City a while ago where someone was mutilating dogs. People were finding dog's with their legs cut off, and finding their legs elsewhere. I don't know if they ever caught the person but it sure was scary.

Cops: Suspect in Miami-Dade cat killings a `sociopath'

In an interview with police, accused cat killer Tyler Weinman eagerly detailed how to dissect cats, even describing the ''tearing sound'' made when cutting open a feline's flesh, according to an arrest affidavit released Monday.

Miami-Dade police detectives concluded Weinman fits the bill of a ``sociopath.''

The arrest affidavit, released one month after Weinman's arrest, details a circumstantial case based on the teen's suspicious late-night forays, cat claw scratches on his body and cryptic, disturbing comments about feline dissection.

The document reveals for the first time evidence used to arrest Weinman in a case that terrorized pet owners and generated national headlines. The warrant ''speaks for itself,'' said Miami-Dade prosecutor Elijah Levitt.

(snipped)

http://www.miamiherald.com/459/story/1129170.html

includes a link to the arrest affidavit - it's creepy!!

Teen pleads not guilty to killing cats

Police say a Florida teenager who is accused of killing and mutilating 19 cats in two south Miami neighborhoods fits the profile of a sociopath, the Miami Herald reports.
Tyler Hayes Weinman, 18, has pleaded not guilty to 19 counts each of animal cruelty and improperly disposing of an animal body and four counts of burglary related to the cat deaths. http://blogs.usatoday.com/.a/6a00d83451b46269e2011570d5f707970c-popuphttp://blogs.usatoday.com/.a/6a00d83451b46269e2011570d5ee13970c-popup
During his arraignment today in Miami-Dade County Circuit Court, prosecutors made public a 10-page arrest affidavit. Among the evidence, according to The Herald: http://blogs.usatoday.com/.a/6a00d83451b46269e2011570d5e0d4970c-popup
• Twice during the killing spree, officers found Weinman near where mutilated cats were found. Once, he wore all black and a backpack -- and laughed when an officer suggested he keep his cats indoors.
• On May 15, when officers stopped him during a nighttime traffic stop, they found a ''cutting tool'' he apparently threw outside his driver's side window. The tool was impounded; Weinman was arrested for marijuana possession.
• During that arrest, Weinman claimed he got prominent scratches on his body from feeding a stray cat at his mother's house; he eagerly showed the scratches off to detectives.
• Police outfitted an electronic tracking device to his car that placed him in the immediate area of one killing on June 6.
• The teen, at length, described dissecting cats, which he learned during an anatomy class at Palmetto Senior High. He noted that cats for dissection could only be received from Mexico.
Weinman's lawyer, David Macey, cautioned that the evidence is circumstantial. ''It's really important to note that there is not one single, not one single witness in there that says that Tyler Weinman touched a cat - not one witness,'' he said after the arraignment.
As we reported last month, Weinman is free on bond. He did not appear in court today; this photo is from his June 17 bail hearing.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/07/teen-pleads-not-guilty-to-killing-cats.html

Search Warrants Released In Cat Killing Case

MIAMI ― Cutting instruments, needles, pills, dark clothing and catnip were among the items seized from the family of a South Florida teenager while police investigated the deaths of more than a dozen cats in two neighborhoods, according to documents released Friday.

At an afternoon hearing, Miami-Dade Circuit Judge John Thornton unsealed four search warrants issued during the investigation of 18-year-old Tyler Hayes Weinman, who stands accused of the grisly crimes. The inventories of the collected property were also released.

"It was way too expansive," Weinman's attorney, David Macey, said of the search. "The state has recognized that and made some efforts to get us back our property."

Weinman is charged with 19 counts each of animal cruelty and improperly disposing of an animal body. He also faces four counts of burglary related to the cat deaths. The teenager has pleaded not guilty.

If convicted, Weinman could face up to 158 years in prison. On Friday, Thornton set a trial date of Oct. 19.

more at http://cbs4.com/wireapnewsfl/Search.warrant.inventory.2.1079881.html

Search Warrants Released In Cat Killing Case

MIAMI ― Cutting instruments, needles, pills, dark clothing and catnip were among the items seized from the family of a South Florida teenager while police investigated the deaths of more than a dozen cats in two neighborhoods, according to documents released Friday.

At an afternoon hearing, Miami-Dade Circuit Judge John Thornton unsealed four search warrants issued during the investigation of 18-year-old Tyler Hayes Weinman, who stands accused of the grisly crimes. The inventories of the collected property were also released.

"It was way too expansive," Weinman's attorney, David Macey, said of the search. "The state has recognized that and made some efforts to get us back our property."

Weinman is charged with 19 counts each of animal cruelty and improperly disposing of an animal body. He also faces four counts of burglary related to the cat deaths. The teenager has pleaded not guilty.

If convicted, Weinman could face up to 158 years in prison. On Friday, Thornton set a trial date of Oct. 19.

more at http://cbs4.com/wireapnewsfl/Search.warrant.inventory.2.1079881.html

Sad that he's so young. Not sad that he may end up in prison for a good 158 years, cause it was a matter of time before the thrill of killing cats was gone and he moved on to people.
:behindbar

I doubt he'll get a sentence of 158 years, but let's hope he rots away long enough to not be a threat to a person or a person's beloved pet.

Domesticated animals, such as cats and dogs, can come to trust humans to provide basic necessities and affection. They can't recognize a human predator until it's too late.

I doubt he'll get a sentence of 158 years, but let's hope he rots away long enough to not be a threat to a person or a person's beloved pet.

Domesticated animals, such as cats and dogs, can come to trust humans to provide basic necessities and affection. They can't recognize a human predator until it's too late.
There's always prison justice for him. ;) I completely agree about our pets becoming so trusting of us.

I consider myself to be an optomist, but when it comes to situations like this, I sort of suspect that the person has already lost the ability to feel compassion - if they ever had the ability to begin with. I think we are watching the birth of a sociopath with this guy, and sadly, I am not sure our current state of knowledge and medical science will allow us to change him. :(

Police: Suspect in Miami-Dade cat killings wanted deal

Posted on Thursday, 07.30.09

Tyler Weinman, the South Miami-Dade teen accused of slaying 19 cats, offered to tell detectives ``about one or two cats'' if they made criminal charges on ``the rest go away.''

``OK, so let me see if I understand. As long as I tell you about the cats that I did, you can get rid of the others?'' Weinman, 18, asked Miami-Dade detectives in an interview shortly before his June 14 arrest, according to court documents released Wednesday.

But the interview with police was stopped, the documents reveal, when Weinman said he ``would need to get my attorney involved'' -- effectively invoking his right to a lawyer.

Prosecutors believe his words are crucial to their case. But Weinman's lawyer, David Macey, disputed their accuracy.

``The reported statements are either misleading and or false,'' he said.

``The real statement will never be heard because the investigation -- with its unlimited resources -- failed to find a tape recorder. They did not want to record the truth, that Tyler Weinman is innocent.''

The teen is accused of mutilating and killing the cats in Palmetto Bay and Cutler Bay between April and June in a spree that terrified pet owners and drew national headlines. More than 30 cat corpses were found in the area.
Prosecutors have said they were looking at at least two other suspects who might have worked with Weinman.

No one else has been charged.

Weinman is charged with 19 counts each of felony animal cruelty and improperly disposing of an animal body, and four counts of burglary.

The case against him is largely circumstantial, but could be bolstered depending on results of blood, hair and DNA lab work done on knives and clothes seized from his parents' houses and cars.

Miami-Dade police say Weinman was found around crime scenes in the middle of the night, had hands-on knowledge of cat dissection and sported scratches consistent with cat claws.

An electronic monitoring device on his car also placed him in the area during one cat killing, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

more at http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami-dade/story/1163383.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back