GUILTY FL - Chance Walsh, 7 wks, North Port, 7 Oct 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What lovely, warm welcomes I'm getting from everyone, thank you.

I'm a long time lurker but have been wary to post before now given my lack of knowledge of the system etc.

Am I right in thinking that JW is in court again on 20th? Is it just him or her as well? What is this for, a plea? Google's taking me round in circles and I can't bear to read the same details over and over again. I find this case so distressing, yet at the same time I can't stay away.

Welcome Ekkwhine!

Yes, both Bury and Walsh will be arraigned on 11/20. An arraignment is a hearing where the defendants will be formally read the charges against them and then they will enter their pleas, usually either guilty or not guilty.

"The identified concern was an error in decision-making made by an individual who did not correctly utilize the existing tools, protocols and supports that are readily available," the DCF report said of its hotline operator who had been with the agency for a little more than a year. "The counselor was moved into another position."
“As a result of our review of this case, when any call is made to the hotline going forward, when the reporter or the department has knowledge of a prior child fatality in the same family, the hotline counselor is required to escalate the case immediately and consult with a supervisor," said Mike Carroll, secretary of the DCF, in a statement.

Nearly two dozen times in the 18-minute talk, the caller expresses concern for the child or asks that DCF investigate.

http://www.news-press.com/story/news/2015/11/11/baby-chance-death-creates-new-dcf-policy/75574584/

More at the link, along with video/audio which won't work for me and a copy of a report. And oh - the family told investigators that the couple had been "binging" on drugs for months and that they recently saw Bury with a black eye. SMDH.

In this article apparently the operator who took the call did put the call on hold to check with the supervisor.

"The operator put her on hold 13½ minutes into the call to review what she's told him and talk to his supervisor, then he tells her: “Based on the information that you’ve provided to me, we don’t have enough factual proof."
http://www.news-press.com/story/news/2015/11/11/baby-chance-death-creates-new-dcf-policy/75574584/

Can someone post the report? This is behind a paywall.

"The identified concern was an error in decision-making made by an individual who did not correctly utilize the existing tools, protocols and supports that are readily available," the DCF report said of its hotline operator who had been with the agency for a little more than a year. "The counselor was moved into another position."
“As a result of our review of this case, when any call is made to the hotline going forward, when the reporter or the department has knowledge of a prior child fatality in the same family, the hotline counselor is required to escalate the case immediately and consult with a supervisor," said Mike Carroll, secretary of the DCF, in a statement.

Nearly two dozen times in the 18-minute talk, the caller expresses concern for the child or asks that DCF investigate.

More at the link, along with video/audio which won't work for me and a copy of a report. And oh - the family told investigators that the couple had been "binging" on drugs for months and that they recently saw Bury with a black eye. SMDH.

Hi all, I'm new here and in the UK. I've spent the last few nights reading about Chance from the beginning (there was very little coverage here) and I'm absolutely heartbroken for him, heartbroken over the unconditional love of a parent that he never experienced, heartbroken because of a system that failed him, those that could have done more but chose to remain silent.

A warm welcome from another UK'er, so glad you've joined us Ekk and great first post :hug:

Couldn't help but comment as I too have looked after animals, primarily baby bats and baby hedgehogs, and given them hourly feeds to help them survive (followed by many happy releases back into the wild). I can't understand how "humans" hurt anything - children (or animals).

Oh, I don't know if this helps anyone, but instead of searching Google daily for news on this case I have a Google Alert set - here's how to do it :)

https://www.google.co.uk/alerts

Exactly! I want to know why in this day and age, with all of the evidence about how awful meth is, do people still try it "just one time". I also wish that meth was "laced" with a sterilizing substance so procreation was not possible��.

BBM--I literally LMAO when I read this.

:applause: Kudos to you Latestforever, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for your willingness to tell it like it is in this PC saturated climate we are currently suffocating in.

Welcome Ekkwhine!

Yes, both Bury and Walsh will be arraigned on 11/20. An arraignment is a hearing where the defendants will be formally read the charges against them and then they will enter their pleas, usually either guilty or not guilty.

I write down in my calendar that tomorrow is their arraignment. I'm on a quick break so came here to see if it was still scheduled. I searched the thread and saw I had it right. Is it still on for tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The felony arraignment for both is still scheduled for 11/20/2015 0900 EST.

The felony arraignment for both is still scheduled for 11/20/2015 0900 EST.

So this is when we hear what exact charges they will be tried for and how they will plea, is that right?

This is when the defendants will formally hear the charges they are being accused of and offer their plea of guilty or not guilty.

It looks like the case has been continued for both. The Clerk's office shows orders dated today for "case management" and "appearance record continuance." If that's what happened in court today it's not surprising as there's probably a ton of evidence and discovery to go through. Also, I'm still hoping that prosecutors are thinking about presenting first degree murder charges to the Grand Jury.

I'll keep an eye out in case I misunderstood things. I'd sure like to see Walsh's arrest record and the probable cause docs for both. Patience is not my strong point.

https://cms.sarasotaclerk.com/BenchmarkWebCAPS/Home.aspx/Search

Read this truly... appalling. At least there's the policy change of a prior deceased child in the home it gets sent to a supervisor to review. I like the part about the hospital tried to intervene postpartum but couldn't speak to her alone??? Seems to me that JW was controlling and abusive not the perfect prince charming she was posting about on facebook or was that over compensation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ery810