GUILTY FL - Cherish Perrywinkle, 8, Jacksonville, 21 June 2013 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This discussion reminds me of a Mohawk saying, "your children are not yours, but are lent to you by the Creator."

:facepalm:

Article: "Documents: Smith didn't meet criteria to be deemed sexual predator" - here:
http://www.news4jax.com/news/docume...ator/-/475880/21130698/-/xy1lp0z/-/index.html

In 2006, at least one correctional psychiatrist tried to get Smith deemed a sexual violent predator, but other professionals overruled the decision, saying Smith did not qualify.
The red flags in documents released by the Department of Children and Families about Smith jump off the page, according to former prosecutor Richard Alexander.
DOCUMENT: DCF report on Donald Smith treatment
"The system was starting to work," Alexander said. "Someone earmarked him as a sexual predator and sent it up for evaluation. From what I read in the paperwork, he refused to cooperate."

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/...ually-violent-offenders-program-after-cherish

The Florida Department of Children and Families will review its criteria for which sex offenders should be held in civil commitment, almost a month after a Jacksonville man was charged with the kidnapping and murder of 8-year-old Cherish Perrywinkle.
Dan Montaldi, administrator of the state’s sexually violent predator program, said procedures are reviewed when it is learned that someone evaluated in the program has been re-arrested. Donald James Smith’s arrest on June 22 was a high-profile example, he said, and studies published in the last year have also raised questions about the effectiveness of the psychological assessment tool used in evaluating offenders for continued confinement as they are scheduled to be released from prison.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/...offenders-program-after-cherish#ixzz2ZzcvQQCH

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/...ually-violent-offenders-program-after-cherish

The Florida Department of Children and Families will review its criteria for which sex offenders should be held in civil commitment, almost a month after a Jacksonville man was charged with the kidnapping and murder of 8-year-old Cherish Perrywinkle.
Dan Montaldi, administrator of the state’s sexually violent predator program, said procedures are reviewed when it is learned that someone evaluated in the program has been re-arrested. Donald James Smith’s arrest on June 22 was a high-profile example, he said, and studies published in the last year have also raised questions about the effectiveness of the psychological assessment tool used in evaluating offenders for continued confinement as they are scheduled to be released from prison.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/...offenders-program-after-cherish#ixzz2ZzcvQQCH

I'm interested in knowing more about this assessment tool or procedure, which was associated with "varied rates of recidivism." Jmo. IMO, and not knowing anything about this particular assessment, sometimes assessments are created to be one component in your "toolbox" of evaluation methods, ie meant to be used in conjunction with other measures (eg criminal history, ongoing progress reports, etc). And they can be useful when used as intended, but can be misleading in isolation. Jmo and I don't know if this is relevant to the particular assessment here. I will try to learn more about it tomorrow when I'm at work.

These documents were so disturbing to read. I don't know if it was the general lack of genuine interests all the emailing and interviewing parties seem to have in the treatment/commitment/dismissal of Ds or the details of the police report (yuck).
I didn't realize telling a therapist that you wanted "to pass" when talking about deviant /criminal behavior was acceptable in this type of treatment. We are not talking about a person trying to get treatment for being a shopaholic here. Puhlease

Do we know why RP left her daughter in Australia and came to America to start a new life?

I have and never will understand how any mother can walk off and leave a child! As if that is not one of the worst things a mother can do *snip*

Sorry - of course I get why people are bashing Rayne for handing Cherish to a pedo.. but this? I think that sometimes walking away from a child IS being the best parent possible, if the parent know they cannot provide or care for the child to even a basic healthy standard.

If Cherish's mother had given her up, there's a good chance she'd be alive today.

I don't doubt there's posters here who've given children up for adoption or given custody to somebody else, in the child's best interest. I wonder if they'd find this sort of comment hurtful.

Sorry - of course I get why people are bashing Rayne for handing Cherish to a pedo.. but this? I think that sometimes walking away from a child IS being the best parent possible, if the parent know they cannot provide or care for the child to even a basic healthy standard.

If Cherish's mother had given her up, there's a good chance she'd be alive today.

I don't doubt there's posters here who've given children up for adoption or given custody to somebody else, in the child's best interest. I wonder if they'd find this sort of comment hurtful.

I said it before but my mom left when I was 5. Growing up I didn't understand it and went through periods of severe depression and all consuming hatred for her. Then I had my own kids and everything changed. A great deal of being a mother is instinct, you either have it or you don't - my mom didn't and she was honest enough to admit it. Leaving was probably the greatest gift she ever gave me and my brothers. I shudder to think what our life might have been like had she stayed and tried to fake it. Her youth, disinterest in parenting, volatile temper and weakness for drugs very well may have led to the type of tragedies we read about here all too often. I owe her a lot for being willing to walk away from her home, her very comfortable lifestyle and the $$$ she would have been entitled to in child support if she had fought for us (and 30+ years ago she most certainly would have been given custody solely for birthing us). Walking away isn't a choice I could make but it isn't always the wrong choice.

OK ... now wasn't DS suppose to appear in court yesterday, or do I still have the wrong date?

I'm enjoying a weekend with the nieces and Cherish (and Elaina) keeps popping into my thoughts. I wish she could be here blowing bubbles with us or deciding how many sprinkles can possibly go on one giant cookie (with pink icing no less). You deserved so much better beautiful angel!

I'm enjoying a weekend with the nieces and Cherish (and Elaina) keeps popping into my thoughts. I wish she could be here blowing bubbles with us or deciding how many sprinkles can possibly go on one giant cookie (with pink icing no less). You deserved so much better beautiful angel!

You've reminded me of a time I got in very big trouble for using my prissy Aunt's tweezers to arrange sprinkles just-so on a batch of sugar cookies. (I had to have them all exactly alike!) I think my grandma had a lil heart failure that day...but I still remember how much fun it was to pick out and place each sprinkle with the tweezers. :angel:

You've reminded me of a time I got in very big trouble for using my prissy Aunt's tweezers to arrange sprinkles just-so on a batch of sugar cookies. (I had to have them all exactly alike!) I think my grandma had a lil heart failure that day...but I still remember how much fun it was to pick out and place each sprinkle with the tweezers. :angel:

LOL, the girls made a HUGE smiley with the sprinkles (profile pic) and then we set the cookie on the table to cool while we went to family day and my son's beagle managed to sneak into the kitchen and steal it (pan and all). Now we get to try again tomorrow.

LOL, the girls made a HUGE smiley with the sprinkles (profile pic) and then we set the cookie on the table to cool while we went to family day and my son's beagle managed to sneak into the kitchen and steal it (pan and all). Now we get to try again tomorrow.

Oh no!!! :dog:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/topst...s-past-investigations-into-Cherishs-home-life

In April 2006, staff members at the shelter told DCF investigators that Rayne forcefully shook Cherish for crying, something workers noted the little girl did often.

More at link. :(

Good grief, Cherish never had a chance with that woman for a custodial parent! Why was she allowed to fail that baby over and over again before finally handing her over to an even worse monster? I hope her father demands answers and goes after RP!

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/topst...s-past-investigations-into-Cherishs-home-life

In April 2006, staff members at the shelter told DCF investigators that Rayne forcefully shook Cherish for crying, something workers noted the little girl did often.

More at link. :(

I'm reading through the reports.

From the Jan 2006 report

1. Rayne three hours late for daycare drop-off meeting Cherish at the homeless shelter.

2. Rayne doesn't work.

Why is Cherish in daycare if mom doesn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing wonder