GUILTY FL - Cherish Perrywinkle, 8, Jacksonville, 21 June 2013 #4 *GRAPHIC CONTENT*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why didn't Donald Smith plead guilty to Cherish Perrywinkle's murder?

"...So, why did Donald Smith bother to go through with a trial instead of pleading guilty?

Action News Jax Law and Safety Expert Dale Carson said there could be a legal strategy behind it.

“If you want to appeal the conduct of the police, or the prosecutor, or even your own defense attorney, you have to go through a trial. Because when you plead, you waive those particular rights,” said Carson.

As a former FBI agent, Carson spent decades exploring the criminal mind.

Carson said Smith may have wanted to go through with the trial because he enjoyed the attention.

“He is able to relive his entire crime. He gets to see crime scene photographs. He gets to see medical examiner photographs,” said Carson.

Carson said Smith likely felt powerful and in control when he watched witnesses’ and jurors’ emotional responses.

“Donald Smith has played us in a way that is rather extraordinary. Because everyone in the community who saw or participated in this is just absolutely horrified. So, in that narrow context, he wins,” said Carson...."

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/l...ilty-to-cherish-perrywinkles-murder/700016858
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In his own words: Why Donald Smith wants the death penalty

"JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - From almost the moment he was arrested, Donald Smith saw his conviction coming and feared what might follow.

Smith, 61, wants the death penalty, not a life sentence. He told his mother as much when she visited him in jail in July 2013.

He said he couldn’t go to prison because he would be “raped and murdered there,” according to a police report. Death Row, on the other hand, meant his death would be “simple, happy and peaceful.”...

Smith made his intentions known to his mother during a July 19, 2013, visitation. He said he needed a book -- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders -- to find out if he qualified for treatment.

“It’s a one-shot deal,” he told his mother. “I need to know what I have.”

Beyond that, Smith made one thing clear: Death Row was the best outcome. .."

https://www.news4jax.com/news/donal...smith-wants-death-penalty-cherish-perrywinkle
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"...So, why did Donald Smith bother to go through with a trial instead of pleading guilty?

Action News Jax Law and Safety Expert Dale Carson said there could be a legal strategy behind it.

“If you want to appeal the conduct of the police, or the prosecutor, or even your own defense attorney, you have to go through a trial. Because when you plead, you waive those particular rights,” said Carson.

Carson said Smith may have wanted to go through with the trial because he enjoyed the attention.

“He is able to relive his entire crime. He gets to see crime scene photographs. He gets to see medical examiner photographs,” said Carson.

Carson said Smith likely felt powerful and in control when he watched witnesses’ and jurors’ emotional responses.

“Donald Smith has played us in a way that is rather extraordinary. Because everyone in the community who saw or participated in this is just absolutely horrified. So, in that narrow context, he wins,” said Carson...."

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/l...ilty-to-cherish-perrywinkles-murder/700016858
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - From almost the moment he was arrested, Donald Smith saw his conviction coming and feared what might follow.

Smith, 61, wants the death penalty, not a life sentence. He told his mother as much when she visited him in jail in July 2013.

He said he couldn’t go to prison because he would be “raped and murdered there,” according to a police report. Death Row, on the other hand, meant his death would be “simple, happy and peaceful.”...

Smith made his intentions known to his mother during a July 19, 2013, visitation. He said he needed a book -- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders -- to find out if he qualified for treatment.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/donal...smith-wants-death-penalty-cherish-perrywinkle
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He doesn't HAVE anything except a black, evil heart.

I totally believe the made the state go through a trial, knowing his crime was indefensible, for kicks. I believe that reliving what happened to darling Cherish would give him sadistic sexual pleasure. I don't think he ever planned to give a defense argument in this case. He wanted to relive the horrific death, and the brutalization of Cherish, and be in the public eye too. The sooner he is on death row and out of public sight the better

Imo, the jury will give him what he wants. Not because this is what he wants but because they all know this is the harshest punishment allowed by law and no one is more deserving that he is.

To not receive death would be a slap in the face not only to Cherish but for all of those who loves her.

Imo, the jury knows right now he is one of the worst monsters who has ever walked among us, and needs to be eradicated.

He reminds me of another sociopath, Jodi Arias, who claimed she also wanted death before her trial and then stood up there before the jury during her long boring summation and wanted anything other than death. Talk comes cheap to a sociopath.

I really think he is hoping he will get LWOP and thinks he can manipulate other inmates like he did in jail. He thinks he can do that by manipulating or buying them something so they will have his back and protect him.

Imo, he will be like another Florida inmate who was sent to death row. Joe Smith, another pedophile who kidnapped, raped, and murdered an innocent 12 year old girl.

As quickly as they came back with the verdict it is a good guess they cant stand the sight of this monster, and he is going to pay, and pay dearly when the sentencing phase is completed.........as he should.

JMO

Imo, the jury will give him what he wants. Not because this is what he wants but because they all know this is the harshest punishment allowed by law and no one is more deserving that he is.

To not receive death would be a slap in the face not only to Cherish but for all of those who loves her.

Imo, the jury knows right now he is one of the worst monsters who has ever walked among us, and needs to be eradicated.

He reminds me of another sociopath, Jodi Arias, who claimed she also wanted death before her trial and then stood up there before the jury during her long boring summation and wanted anything other than death. Talk comes cheap to a sociopath.

I really think he is hoping he will get LWOP and thinks he can manipulate other inmates like he did in jail. He thinks he can do that by manipulating or buying them something so they will have his back and protect him.

Imo, he will be like another Florida inmate who was sent to death row. Joe Smith, another pedophile who kidnapped, raped, and murdered an innocent 12 year old girl.

As quickly as they came back with the verdict it is a good guess they cant stand the sight of this monster, and he is going to pay, and pay dearly when the sentencing phase is completed.........as he should.

JMO

This is very unkind, but...I actually hope he is delusional enough to believe any psychopathic fairy tales he tells himself about how he is now & will remain in control, and how he will dominate the felons he'll be surrounded by for the rest of his nasty and likely short life

<modsnip>

So, do we know the status of the other children today? Where are they .. in foster care or will they go with family?

So, do we know the status of the other children today? Where are they .. in foster care or will they go with family?

They were adopted by an aunt (Rayne's sister) and her husband in Australia, I believe.

This trial right here was very brief and to the point, and of course the jury made the right decision! It’s a shame jail time is the only method of punishment.

This was also very disturbing to watch, as he seemed to be nonchalant and I will never forget the acts of violence and sexual acts he I inflicted on this poor child. All I was thinking was, when this was going on, why is their not someone above striking these sick demented devils on site to stop it!! It angers me, and if he gets the death penalty, it’s still not enough for me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Father of prior victim reacts to verdict (Video)

https://www.news4jax.com/video/father-of-prior-victim-reacts-to-verdict

This is the father of the eight year old that DS pretended to be a DCF employee and tried to get the child to meet him at...McDonalds.

What a damm p3rvert DS is. Oh, those poor folks -- nightmares of what could have been.

"Wanted to meet her at McDonald's." Well, it surely worked this time. Oh, so very horrible and ... sad (there isn't a word, so I just used "sad.")

What a damm p3rvert DS is. Oh, those poor folks -- nightmares of what could have been.

"Wanted to meet her at McDonald's." Well, it surely worked this time. Oh, so very horrible and ... sad (there isn't a word, so I just used "sad.")

Yeah, can't imagine.

Here is an old article (and video) about that incident and her mom talking about it after Cherish was found. (this says the girl was ten years old then)

https://www.news4jax.com/community/...r-with-kidnapping-murder-suspect-donald-smith

Yeah, can't imagine.

Here is an old article (and video) about that incident and her mom talking about it after Cherish was found. (this says the girl was ten years old then)

https://www.news4jax.com/community/...r-with-kidnapping-murder-suspect-donald-smith

The question came up after the video interview was played by the anchor as to how DS got the phone number of this family. The family thought it was through random dialing. I don't know where they lived, but if he targeted her from seeing her in the neighborhood, then followed her to where she lived, an internet search may have led to a land line phone number. Or, he looked up the property records to find out who the owners of the property were and from there did an internet search for their land line phone number.

I do not believe for one minute it was random. As sly and conniving as he is, I am convinced it was not random.

Think you are right Alexwood...

Smith couldn't explain to police why Thornton's number was listed under "favorites" in his cell phone.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...inding-cherish-perrywinkles-body/77-519387641
Charlie Wilkie is the police officer who arrested Smith on June 22, 2013. Wilkie would also be the one to discover Cherish's body.

==

Smith was stopped driving his white van along Interstate 95. Wilkie remembered his behavior and what he was wearing when he arrested him.
"As soon as I touched his pants, I had water, actual water droplets on my hands I said oh my God she's in the water," he said.

==

He and his partner Gator (a k-9) would find her covered with branches, next to a tree near a tributary of the Trout River.

"I could see where he dragged her," he said.
"I'm talking maybe seven, eight minutes from the time I pulled up to where I've got her and the detectives couldn't believe it," he said. "I'm standing in the water almost knee deep water telling them 'I've got her, I've got her.'"

The father of four said finding Perrywinkle's body took his emotions for a ride. He wanted to resuscitate her, but it was too late. All he could do was protect the evidence and control his emotions.

"I stood by with her until I was relieved just to keep her company, but the emotions were just overwhelming," he said.

Ironically, Wilkie and his partner were also the ones who found the body of Lonzie Barton.

He's retired from JSO, but still works in law enforcement and the case of Cherish Perrywinkle will remain with him for the rest of his days.

Psychopathy!

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members