GUILTY FL - Cherish Perrywinkle, 8, Jacksonville, 21 June 2013 #4 *GRAPHIC CONTENT*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Donald Smith Trial: What's next?

"Anne Schindler and Ken Amaro break down the Donald Smith verdict and what is to come."

[video=youtube;EnVML4DHSuM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnVML4DHSuM[/video]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah. We want to know: What's next with the Donald Smith "T-r-a-i-l"?

Nothing, he will be sentenced to death. About twenty years and many appeals from now, the sentence will be carried out.

That's it.

Instead of swatting a fly, he spared its life.
I doubt he'll have the guts to speak at his sentencing.
Disagree....it would be the highlight of the trial for him. No repercussions in sentencing for him to speak.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

I’m on Tapatalk so I find it so difficult, could someone please post a picture of Cherish? Everytime I see monsters face I get angry. Let’s make her face what we see coming into this week. [emoji4] tia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure if he will speak at the sentencing or not.
On one hand, I agree with Alexwood that he won't have the guts.
On the other hand, I remember Jodi Aries through the entire trial, saying she was in a fog the entire time she was killing her bf, remembered nothing, then at sentencing, she admitted remembering cutting his throat.
I think she said that after the death penalty was off the table to get in one last jab, at the Alexander family.

On the other hand, I remember Jodi Aries through the entire trial, saying she was in a fog the entire time she was killing her bf, remembered nothing, then at sentencing, she admitted remembering cutting his throat.
I think she said that after the death penalty was off the table to get in one last jab, at the Alexander family.
I think it possible of a chance to brag about what he did. He thrives on seeing the horror on faces. He is infamous in his own mind.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

cache.php

Thank you so much Jax[emoji847] such a angelic picture.

And I am not totally convinced, myself, that he won't have the guts to speak!

I cant say enough about everyone involved bringing this Trial to a conclusion. Amazing work by LE, locals, K9, Prosecutors etc. I was particularly impressed that even with all the evidence 2 yrs. later they bugged his cell. Went that extra mile to cement the deal for a possible DP. I don't know how some do this heartbreaking work day after day. Kudos to them and so grateful somebody can.

Yes. God Bless all of them.

And let's not forget little Gator, too. I wish I could give him a few treats to reward him for his work!

I still get chills when I think about Officer Wilkie's testimony when he talks about yelling "She's in the water" when he realized DS was wet.

If only their was a real life “Hostal” type place, like the horror movie where we or ME could attend and get to work! What do they call it, something like restorative justice!!!! I never studied LAW, but I did study social work and that’s social Justice...

I've not read through this entire thread so I'm not sure how much discussion there has been about Rayne but I'm guessing probably quite a bit. I finally watched her testimony, and that of the Medical Examiner yesterday, which left me emotionally drained for the rest of the day. I think in his monster cunning, Smith patiently waited for his "perfect" victim to come along - who knows how many other families he watched before Rayne and her girls came into the store. Shopping relatively late at night, no car, not able to buy what she wanted/needed to buy, with three tired and hungry girls - he had his mark. And he worked her and worked her till she put away her own reservations and intuitions. Yes, she made mistakes, big ones, for which she will have to live with for the rest of her life and which lead to poor Cherish's suffering and death, but by the end of her testimony I had sympathy for her - she *knew* deep down that this was too good to be true - but this was $150 which must have seemed like a fortune to her and she must have felt a bit safer as they were in a public place despite the hours growing later and later and the store getting ready to close. He's the monster we all fear - hiding in plain sight and so devious and patient. Part of me hopes they lock him away in the deepest darkest part of prison. The vengeful part of me hopes he gets some of his own medicine while in prison. That he put everyone through a trial just points out what a monster he is. As for the ME testimony, I had to take several breaks - how she got through all that without more than one request for a break is beyond me. This one will stay with me forever. RIP sweet Cherish.

Will the stuff on Tuesday be streaming online like the actual trial? (I probably won't be home during that time...but just in case...)

Will the stuff on Tuesday be streaming online like the actual trial? (I probably won't be home during that time...but just in case...)

Wild About Trial will be streaming it and they also archive.

I've not read through this entire thread so I'm not sure how much discussion there has been about Rayne but I'm guessing probably quite a bit. I finally watched her testimony, and that of the Medical Examiner yesterday, which left me emotionally drained for the rest of the day. I think in his monster cunning, Smith patiently waited for his "perfect" victim to come along - who knows how many other families he watched before Rayne and her girls came into the store. Shopping relatively late at night, no car, not able to buy what she wanted/needed to buy, with three tired and hungry girls - he had his mark. And he worked her and worked her till she put away her own reservations and intuitions. Yes, she made mistakes, big ones, for which she will have to live with for the rest of her life and which lead to poor Cherish's suffering and death, but by the end of her testimony I had sympathy for her - she *knew* deep down that this was too good to be true - but this was $150 which must have seemed like a fortune to her and she must have felt a bit safer as they were in a public place despite the hours growing later and later and the store getting ready to close. He's the monster we all fear - hiding in plain sight and so devious and patient. Part of me hopes they lock him away in the deepest darkest part of prison. The vengeful part of me hopes he gets some of his own medicine while in prison. That he put everyone through a trial just points out what a monster he is. As for the ME testimony, I had to take several breaks - how she got through all that without more than one request for a break is beyond me. This one will stay with me forever. RIP sweet Cherish.

Good observations. There was another woman that he conned right over the telephone. That will probally come out in his punishment trial.

Using lies and deception, Donald Smith earned Rayne Perrywinkle's trust, and convinced her that he was sincere and wanted only to help her buy things for her children that day.

1. Outside the Dollar General store ("DG"), Donald Smith ("DS") sympathized with Rayne Perrywinkle ("RP") by commenting that she looked like she had her hands full. Then he said: "I have a couple of little ones." [I listened closely to her testimony -- he was definitely speaking of himself -- not alluding to RP's two younger daughters, by his remark.]

2. Before he approached RP with an offer to purchase a little dress at DG for Cherish, he elicited the opinion of the store's assistant manager. He specifically asked him whether he'd be out of line offering to make the purchase for her. The manager testified that he told DS it was not in his job description to give such advice. Nonetheless, DS put on his "big boy pants" and went ahead and made his offer. He told RP that if she really wanted the dress (at Dollar General), for Cherish that she couldn't afford, he would get it for her. She declined. Then, he hatched a better plan.

3. He told her that he had a $150 Walmart gift card and could take them all to Walmart, and she could do her shopping there. He further lied to her by saying that his wife had the gift card, and she was on her way to meet him at Dollar General. Hearing that he was married, and, better yet, that his wife was enroute, made RP feel more at ease. So, they stood in the parking lot of DG, chatting as they waited for his fictitious wife to arrive. When it began to rain, DS sat in his van with the doors open. But he was not really waiting for his "wife." In reality, he was waiting for RP to decide to get into his van with her little girls.

4. He began to get impatient and irritable. He told RP that she didn't have to do this if she didn't want to. Further, he challenged her mistrust by asking her if she wanted to see his driver's license. RP said that this made her feel foolish -- and that she was just being paranoid. Finally, he looked her in the face and told her that she was safe (with him). That is when she decided to put her doubts aside, and agreed to ride to Walmart with him. He told her that his wife would meet them there.

5. As they drove from DG to Walmart, RP peppered him with questions, probably in an effort to further allay her misgivings. DS, in turn, asked questions of her. He wanted to know how old RP and her children were. He volunteered that he was 61 years old. Being that his DOB is September 4, 1956, he would have been only 57 years old in 2013, when he had this conversation with RP. Yet another of his lies -- this one was prompted by his need to make RP believe that he was just an "elderly old Santa Clause-type Good Samaritan." (My Opinion Only) To further convince her that he had a wife, when asked, he said that she was from the Virgin Islands and that she drove a "gold car."

6. When RP asked DS what he did for a living, he claimed that he worked for Habijax. He also spoke about a particular church that he attended, and asked RP if she was familiar with it. So, not only has he represented himself as a trustworthy, benevolent, elderly old Santa Clause, he attends church regularly.

7. As they pulled into the Walmart parking lot and parked, her little girls began to get restless. RP told him that she needed to get out with the girls. DS knew that in order to carry out his plan, a change in strategy was necessary -- ASAP. Otherwise, RP was going to walk away. He extracted his phone from his pocket and pretended to take an incoming call. It appeared to RP that he was speaking to his non-existent wife about what they were going to eat. Chinese food was mentioned by DS, which was not particularly appealing to Rayne, but she said nothing. Nonetheless, the apparent conversation between DS and his "wife" implied that DS would also be buying them all something to eat. He told her to take the girls into Walmart to "the little girls' department" and he would meet her there. Then, he continued to wait for his "wife" to arrive in her "gold car".

8. He rejoied RP and her daughters, a short time later, in the children's clothing department where she had been shopping. He roamed around, lurking mostly, and watching them shop, but spending an inordinate amount of time monitoring Cherish, and he even suggested some inappropriate women's shoes for her. RP rejected the shoes; they were high-heeled women's shoes, not appropriate for an 8-year-old little girl. He led Cherish to the dressing room area a couple of times. He left briefly to shop in another section, and returned with a bundle of rope. This he tossed into RP's cart. All the while, he kept reassuring RP that his wife was coming with the gift card.

9. At about 10:30 p.m., an announcement was made that the store would be closing in 30 minutes. RP continued to shop, but checked first with DS to make sure his offer of the gift card was still good, as it was getting late. Her little girls had not eaten dinner. She wanted to get to the checkout, finalize her purchases with the gift card, and get home.

10. Waiting almost to the 11th hour, DS approached RP and said (with a bizarre gesture -- a puppet-like talking hand -- which RP found very odd) that he was going to a McDonalds inside the store to get something to eat. Cherish ran to her mother's side and told her that he had a $150 gift card. RP asked Cherish if that is what he told her. She said they were going to McDonalds and asked RP what she wanted to eat. Rayne indicated cheeseburgers. As evidenced by the video footage, off DS bolted, towards McDonalds, with Cherish following closely behind. RP said she felt safe in letting Cherish walk to the front of the store with him, where the McDonalds was located, as it was still in her line of sight.

11. Satisfied that the McDonalds was closing (if not yet closed already), DS appeared to speak briefly with Cherish. Here is where he begins to use similar deceptive practices on Cherish. He convinces her that they are just quickly going down the street to another McDonalds --one that is still open -- in his van, and will get cheeseburgers and bring them back for her mother and sisters. This probably seems perfectly logical to Cherish, and she believes that she has her mother's tacit approval. DS swiftly turns on his heel and heads out the front door of Walmart, at a fast clip. Again, Cherish was following closely behind.

12. Before driving out of the Walmart parking lot, DS spies a gold car with a woman at the wheel. He sidles up to it with his van, and, through his window, he shouts to the occupants that they are going to McDonalds for cheeseburgers. This is for Cherish's benefit, to alleviate any doubt she might have about leaving the premises with DS. Cherish knew his "wife" drove a gold car. Here was a woman sitting in a gold car. The driver of the gold car even began following the van because the driver thought her father was a passenger in it. At this point, DS probably could not believe his good fortune.

As we know, Cherish was never seen alive again.

(All of the above is MOO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members