GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #4 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[/SIZE]

Any ideas then on who would have been paying SG's expensive legal fees, then? And why did they recently stop? I think you're presuming a lot based on almost no information.

Anything possible?
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/201...-latin-kings-sweeping-racketeering-conspiracy

July 26 2016

Latin Kings members paid "dues" that were then used to buy guns, bail members out of jail and pay for attorneys, according to the indictments. New members would be beaten, Fardon said, as would gang members who violated rules or questioned gang leaders.

The Markel murder wasn’t a gang ‘job’, which LR asserted in his confession interview. This leads me to think that his attorney fees weren’t paid by the gang. This would also mean SG’s attorney fees wouldn’t be paid by the gang.

Thanks dotr for all the interesting articles you find about the Latin Kings.

I wondered how the gang would accumulate enough money just on gang member dues and have enough for bail money and attorney fees.

In addition to dues, they apparently ‘earn’ money by enforcing a Street Tax:

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/201...-latin-kings-sweeping-racketeering-conspiracy
Inside the Latin Kings: Feds Lay Out Structure Including Dues, Street Tax
July 26, 2016 2:00pm | Updated on July 27, 2016 7:35am
Some money was earned by enforcing a "street tax" on drug dealers as well as local legitimate businesses. Refusal to pay such taxes resulted in violence, the prosecutors said.
Gang members paid weekly dues to the leaders to build a stash of cash referred to as a "box." The "box" account was used to bail gang members out of jail, pay lawyers, send cash to members in prison and to buy guns and automobiles, the later of which were sometimes referred to as "rammers" to be used in crimes.

[/SIZE]

Any ideas then on who would have been paying SG's expensive legal fees, then? And why did they recently stop? I think you're presuming a lot based on almost no information.
SG has already gone through a small army of attorneys. Why?
Is it because he is demanding (unreasonably) things that no one can possibly give him? Namely bail?
And, he has already spent his assassin money on cars, and motorcycles.

SG has said "this isn't my first rodeo" but maybe he doesn't really grasp that this particular rodeo can kill him.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

[/SIZE]

i don't know that SG's initial legal fees were ever paid. my guess is that initially when hired there was a promise to pay and it became apparent that SG could not pay and thus his initial lawyer withdrew from the case. i would not be surprised if there is an outstanding bill. Robert Shapiro still claims that O.J. Simpson owes him $1M in attorney fees which were never paid.

In the PCA, SGA was scrounging around for $300 for lawyer's fees. Clearly broke.
His second attorney was preparing for trial and that takes money, private investigators, etc.
He's now on on his 3rd attorney.

So either money has been passed to all of his attorneys- or SG was just lucky enough to retain 3 lawyers in a row who don't care if they get paid.
The question is, assuming money has been exchanged (99% it has), where did it come from? Who would have a stake in SG's defense and the resources to pay?

In the PCA, SGA was scrounging around for $300 for lawyer's fees. Clearly broke.
His second attorney was preparing for trial and that takes money, private investigators, etc.
He's now on on his 3rd attorney.

So either money has been passed to all of his attorneys- or SG was just lucky enough to retain 3 lawyers in a row who don't care if they get paid.
The question is, assuming money has been exchanged (99% it has), where did it come from? Who would have a stake in SG's defense and the resources to pay?

his baby mama and alleged co-conspirator KM appears to have had the incentive and the cash to flick him a few bucks before she was arrested.

It is highly, highly unlikely that the A's are paying for the defense of any of their hired co-conspirators. More likely, Magbanua or Garcia's family dug up some cash for an initial retainer fee but weren't going to be able to pay for continued defense. This new attorney, Akbar, is a younger guy and probably willing to bleed a little financially for the certain exposure of taking on this high profile case.

Additionally, as a former public defender who has spent a lot of time in criminal court, it is NOT uncommon for defendants facing the death penalty or any lengthy prison sentence to become quickly dissatisfied with their attorneys and go through a string of them while awaiting trial. Garcia will likely never leave confinement - part of him probably knows this at this point as the evidence against him piles up. He's desperate, in denial. He's looking for that attorney who is going to promise to get him out of this. Not gonna happen.

SG was driving CA's land rover when he was arrested.

SG was driving CA's land rover when he was arrested.

it thought it was KM's black 2001 Lexus LS 430 that she "purchased" for dirt cheap from one of the Adelsons. i also got the impression that most of the Adelson's cars were in HA's name and they all shared them. same could be said about the phones. perhaps it's because they were under his "business" account (think "Adelson, Inc.") and could thus write everything off for tax purposes. i know families who own businesses and the patriarch often does this - everything is bought under the auspices of the business. so i wouldn't read too much into actual name ownership of these items (cars and phones) and thus assigning necessary implicit involvement by HA. just because his name is on it or even bought it, it doesn't me that he's the one that was necessarily controlling it at the time in question or even "owned" (controlled) it. he may have been involved before or after the fact, but i don't see evidence of the former but maybe the latter.

"who is covering Magbanua’s fees? I’ve heard a number of theories about that, but nothing concrete. I reached out to her lawyers, Christopher DeCoste and Tara Kawass, to inquire. DeCoste declined to comment, citing the confidentiality of fee arrangements."

i wonder if the alleged masterminds are covering KM's legal fees to keep her quiet? it reminds me of this case where the accomplice was charged with contempt and sent to jail because she refused to rat out the mastermind. and while she sat in jail all of her legal fees and other financial needs were taken care of by the mastermind to keep her happy (she admitted this years later) -

"Costello spent 20 months in jail starting in 1996 for refusing to cooperate with prosecutors. A judge dismissed the contempt order in 1998, but when she was released, law enforcement arrested her on murder and kidnapping charges."

http://archive.tcpalm.com/news/crim...996-stuart-murder-ep-402602096-348504151.html

so what's to stop the alleged masterminds from secretly paying for KM's attorney fees (and other financial needs outside of jail) to keep her from talking? my guess is nothing. fee arrangements are confidential information and not admissible evidence so it seems like it would be a wise thing for them to do if they are involved. i guess we may never know.

Hopefully one of our resident attorneys will check in, but that would be a HUGE conflict of interest. I *think* the defendant has to disclose to the court where the $ for the attorney is coming from, if the defendant has no income/assets. But definitely a conflict of interest, and a big no-no.

If it was her family, or some unrelated party, then it wouldn't be a problem. But the A's have been implicated, and what is in KM's best interest is certainly not in the A's best interest.

ETA

The link doesn't discuss Costello getting her legal fees paid, and Google was no help either. Can you steer me towards a link?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The link doesn't discuss Costello getting her legal fees paid, and Google was no help either. Can you steer me towards a link?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Snapped - Lisa Costello
Transcript

00:19:31 ( Gregg ) A week went by, a month went by, two months went by, she continued to refuse to testify.
00:19:36 Judges even tell the witness, "You have the keys to your jail cell.
00:19:41 You hold them in your hand." In her other hand, Lisa held Alan Mackerley's fate.
00:19:47 The only way she can get out of jail is answer our questions, which would probably be very incriminating to Alan Mackerley.
00:19:54 Alan apparently agreed.
00:19:56 ( Lisa ) Everyone involved was ultimately worried about who was paying the bills, and that was Alan.
00:20:01 Alan paid all of my attorney's fees.
00:20:04 He supported me, he supported my family.
00:20:07 He did everything, financially, he could.
00:20:10 ( Melissa ) He did indeed take very good care of her while she was in jail.
00:20:15 Whatever she needed-- basically she could make a phone call and Alan Mackerley took care of it.
00:20:19 It looked like her silence was being bought.
00:20:24 Coming up, was Alan buying Lisa's silence or setting her up?

http://mreplay.com/transcript/snapped-(lisa_costello)/8568/OXYGENP/Friday_January_15_2010/166580/

(f) Compensation by Third Party. A lawyer shall not accept compensation for representing a client from one other than the client unless:

(1) the client gives informed consent;

(2) there is no interference with the lawyer’s independence of professional judgment or with the client-lawyer relationship; and

(3) information relating to representation of a client is protected as required by rule 4-1.6.

https://www.floridabar.org/divexe/rrtfb.nsf/FV/482043D3FC06842B852571710054B87B

So if a 3rd party pays a client's legal bills, that client must be aware of who that 3rd party is...?

So if a 3rd party pays a client's legal bills, that client must be aware of who that 3rd party is...?

That's my understanding. It must be disclosed so client can decide for himself/herself if 3rd party involvement is creating a conflict of interest.

Snapped S07E08 Lisa Costello

[video=youtube;pUrlbIhLV0E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUrlbIhLV0E[/video]

[h=1]Case against Katherine Magbanua headed to grand jury[/h]http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Woman-accused-in-Markel-Murder--402275976.html

She also has a Auther Hearing (bond) scheduled for 12/9 -- three days after her and Garcia's next case management conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3