GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #4 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lat accusing other people of bias/flawed thinking in this post is ironic. He made up his mind very early and you can tell from how he writes about the case. In many of his posts, he commits the same kind of cognitive errors that he writes about in the latest piece.
Apparently this didn't occur to him.

Of course he's free to write whatever he wants. But it's getting pretty predictable and boring.

(IMHO)

Given what we know about this tragic case, Lat's effort to disprove a comment on an anonymous message board on Wendi's behalf is odd and his fawning over her is embarrassing.

Convoluted case, words and orders can be easily mixed up, imo.

JL initially suggested that LE look at WA, but ultimately suggested CA.
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...s-reveal-early-markel-investigation/87680046/

SG apparently was just going to a sports event at the school, but ended up scoring some drugs.

LG was bringing along" his little friend" for the drive to Tallahassee with SG., who must have been lousy company considering he was always on the phone with an ex, KM.

KM, was seemingly occupied with depositing large amounts of cash and the dispensing of food stamps, not very safe practice if one is driving a high end car, perhaps the valuables were safely ensconced in cleavage?

CA apparently was occupied with romancing his new g.friend, that is- when he could extract himself from phone calls and meetings with his mother and ex g.friend.

WA, meanwhile simply ordered food,
hold the roll.

speculation, imo.

from reading the comments here, it seems that women, in general, have a real strong visceral dislike of WA and believe she was involved in the plot. and it seems that men, in general, are not so sure and willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. based on this observation, if she ever goes to trial, her jury consultant should probably push for a mostly male jury.

from reading the comments here, it seems that women, in general, have a real strong visceral dislike of WA and believe she was involved in the plot. and it seems that men, in general, are not so sure and willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. based on this observation, if she ever goes to trial, her jury consultant should probably push for a mostly male jury.
Well,maybe the females on this thread can see through another woman's strong attempts at manipulation better than the
"poor unsuspecting" males can.
[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Say What. Lol

Wendi is guilty imo.

And her eccentric Jodi Arias personality and her par looks will not work here. Jmo

That depends on whether or not WA's police interrogation video is shown to the jury.
As a female, i was initially impressed with WA's education/work credentials, especially her involvement with HT.
She appeared to be a likeable mom, down to earth, an attractive and fun loving person.

One could almost overlook comments in her book and podcast, but when it came down to the police video, it became hard to find many redeeming traits.imo.

Her children's dad was not yet deceased, but she is going on about him hurting her, caused her a lot of grief, mistreated her, yada, yada, yada.
She said she worried about the kids safety, considering DM, was shot, yet quickly seemed to offer up her recent ex, JL and her own "always looked after her" big brother, CA.
So was she really worried about the children, and if so, what does that say about the suspects she suggested to LE?

One might usually have sympathy for a wife and mother of young kids, who is allegedly so mistreated and emotionally suffering so greatly, that she must leave her husband and live with her parents ( and suffer economically too?!)
That and changing the children's names, including the special middle name...

Females in the jury may be more inclined to " have a real strong visceral dislike of WA " but i suspect many of the males might feel compelled to squirm in their seats too, and not in a " good way. "

all speculation, imo.

Video..
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/fs...-told-brother-talked-killing-husband-42119661

In spite of everything said and done..
imo.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=inno...sAQIHg&biw=1303&bih=631#imgrc=GKjfYGDgVHLyWM:

Innocent until proven guilty.​
attachment.php

Attachments

• lifebuzz-f127f054ee01a02917db2058f5e6fc30-limit_2000.jpg
    lifebuzz-f127f054ee01a02917db2058f5e6fc30-limit_2000.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 343
There is a camp that’s “Team Wendi-Involved” vs. “Team Wendi-Not Involved.” We have all been taking in the same information and choosing a team based on our own conclusions.

I was a surprised Lat went with a Wendi defense piece. But at the same time not. He has made it clear he’s Team Wendi-Not Involved. He has repeatedly stated that he will not go into his thoughts on Donna and Charlie. Take that for what it is.

But we do have this “It was always clear to [Rivera] that Katie [Magbanua] was the link to the Adelson's. Katie was the one who was hiring them to come to Tallahassee and commit the murder on behalf of Wendi so she could have the children all to herself.”

family involvement in the divorce drama
Dan’s friends on 20/20 said Donna and Harvey (her parents) hated Danny and were unreasonable, doing things and getting involved in the divorce.
- Wendi did indeed allow this and perhaps encouraged it. She is a grown woman.

Also on 20/20, Lacasse painted a profound picture of Adelson family dysfunction. “The whole family is weird. Something is up with this family. Never seen this kind of obsession. Their hobby is hating Danny.”
- Laccase is a professor whose research specialties are listed as mental health and psychiatric medications.

The family (including Wendi) in cahoots pre-murder
Communicating and plotting to give 333k each (Wendi ⅓, Charlie ⅓, Donna + Harvey ⅓) = 1MM. They ran THIS by Wendi. She knew Dan well enough to say no, it would not fly, and Dan would not accept a cash payment for less access to his kids.

Lacasse says Wendi confided to him confidentiality the following: "She [Wendi Adelson] told me that Charlie had looked into having Danny killed in the summer of 2013. She meant it, dead serious. She said it in a dead serious, chilling, uncomfortable way.”
http://abcnews.go.com/US/fsu-law-pr...aims-brother-talked-killing/story?id=42065242

Lacasse: “He believed that Wendi Adelson may be indirectly responsible for the murder of her ex-husband, Daniel Markel," the Dec. 4, 2014 TPD report says. “When I informed him that Wendi was not a suspect, he stated ‘well she should be."
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...s-reveal-early-markel-investigation/87680046/

The morning of the murder Wendi had phone contact with both Donna and Charlie.

There is speculation as well about her TV repairman, the joke to the repairman and her drive-by of Markel's house shortly after the murder. I do have to say knowing the area, her little shortcut through the neighborhood, is not an unreasonable one one to take.

Evidence post-murder per probable cause affidavits - much lighter on evidence regarding Wendi.
http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/PC+Charlie+Adelson+Redacted.pdf

Pg 4 - “...no one in the Adelson family has contacted TPD or inquired about the status of the investigation.”
-But she was terrified, right? Scared for her children and also cleared as a suspect. But doesn’t inquire further?

Page 16, call 1380 - During this conversation with Donna, after being confronted by the undercover FBI agent. During this conversation, Charlie inquired whether it involved himself or others. Donna whispered, "well probably the both of us." Charlie asked her to repeat herself, and she said "Probably the two of us" and "you get the general idea of what I'm talking about."
- Charlie's mind jumps to possible multiple people - perhaps the rest of the family?

Page 20 - Charlie told Katie he was talking to his parents about everything and invited her to the family pad to discuss.
- No mention of Wendi here, but we can conclude KM has the further knowledge of others involved if Charlie told her this. She needs to flip and tell.

Why I am more on Team Wendi-Involved:
Pre-murder I see Wendi all over this. Post-murder she is almost absent. Could this be because she is the most visible and vulnerable to scrutiny? She seems self-aware stating in her podcast “It’s always the ex-wife.” Or is she being guarded carefully by her parents and brother?

Wendi coordinated her divorce plans and had those conversations about money payoffs with her parents and hitman options with her brother. So for those who think Wendi was perhaps oblivious, the communication pattern involving Wendi and family on solutions must all abruptly halted JUST AS Wendi’s problems escalated. Such as the upcoming court judgments addressing Wendi and her lawyer’s unclean hands for not disclosing money and assets. Restrictions placed on Donna and accusations of bad mouthing a parent to his young children. And lastly, Dan’s new smiles and finding happiness with a sophisticated and much more credentialed woman.
This communication shift is what would have had to happen for those who consider her innocent and not a murderess. As all this was reaching a boiling point...BAM BAM.

We have sympathetic thinking that Wendi was unaware and not capable. Nothing can prove her of being involved as of now. She is indeed absent from all of the LE surveillance after the murder. Her family could have secretly and privately left her out of huge actions that were being carried out for her benefit. Because they "thought it is was good somehow." Even though she and her family discussed and looked into the same issue resolutions to her problems just a year before? Hey, it’s possible, I guess. But this is also a family who she very loyal to and entrenched with on a daily basis.

Again, reminded of " Game Theory " and of the winner on The Weakest Link.imo.
[video=youtube;7-fEYuoB3NI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-fEYuoB3NI[/video]

There is a camp that’s “Team Wendi-Involved” vs. “Team Wendi-Not Involved.” We have all been taking in the same information and choosing a team based on our own conclusions.

I was a surprised Lat went with a Wendi defense piece. But at the same time not. He has made it clear he’s Team Wendi-Not Involved. He has repeatedly stated that he will not go into his thoughts on Donna and Charlie. Take that for what it is.

But we do have this “It was always clear to [Rivera] that Katie [Magbanua] was the link to the Adelson's. Katie was the one who was hiring them to come to Tallahassee and commit the murder on behalf of Wendi so she could have the children all to herself.”

family involvement in the divorce drama
Dan’s friends on 20/20 said Donna and Harvey (her parents) hated Danny and were unreasonable, doing things and getting involved in the divorce.
- Wendi did indeed allow this and perhaps encouraged it. She is a grown woman.

Also on 20/20, Lacasse painted a profound picture of Adelson family dysfunction. “The whole family is weird. Something is up with this family. Never seen this kind of obsession. Their hobby is hating Danny.”
- Laccase is a professor whose research specialties are listed as mental health and psychiatric medications.

The family (including Wendi) in cahoots pre-murder
Communicating and plotting to give 333k each (Wendi ⅓, Charlie ⅓, Donna + Harvey ⅓) = 1MM. They ran THIS by Wendi. She knew Dan well enough to say no, it would not fly, and Dan would not accept a cash payment for less access to his kids.

Lacasse says Wendi confided to him confidentiality the following: "She [Wendi Adelson] told me that Charlie had looked into having Danny killed in the summer of 2013. She meant it, dead serious. She said it in a dead serious, chilling, uncomfortable way.”
http://abcnews.go.com/US/fsu-law-pr...aims-brother-talked-killing/story?id=42065242

Lacasse: “He believed that Wendi Adelson may be indirectly responsible for the murder of her ex-husband, Daniel Markel," the Dec. 4, 2014 TPD report says. “When I informed him that Wendi was not a suspect, he stated ‘well she should be."

The morning of the murder Wendi had phone contact with both Donna and Charlie.

There is speculation as well about her TV repairman, the joke to the repairman and her drive-by of Markel's house shortly after the murder. I do have to say knowing the area, her little shortcut through the neighborhood, is not an unreasonable one one to take.

Evidence post-murder per probable cause affidavits - much lighter on evidence regarding Wendi.
http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/PC+Charlie+Adelson+Redacted.pdf

Pg 4 - “...no one in the Adelson family has contacted TPD or inquired about the status of the investigation.”
-But she was terrified, right? Scared for her children and also cleared as a suspect. But doesn’t inquire further?

Page 16, call 1380 - During this conversation with Donna, after being confronted by the undercover FBI agent. During this conversation, Charlie inquired whether it involved himself or others. Donna whispered, "well probably the both of us." Charlie asked her to repeat herself, and she said "Probably the two of us" and "you get the general idea of what I'm talking about."
- Charlie's mind jumps to possible multiple people - perhaps the rest of the family?

Page 20 - Charlie told Katie he was talking to his parents about everything and invited her to the family pad to discuss.
- No mention of Wendi here, but we can conclude KM has the further knowledge of others involved if Charlie told her this. She needs to flip and tell.

Why I am more on Team Wendi-Involved:
Pre-murder I see Wendi all over this. Post-murder she is almost absent. Could this be because she is the most visible and vulnerable to scrutiny? She seems self-aware stating in her podcast “It’s always the ex-wife.” Or is she being guarded carefully by her parents and brother?

Wendi coordinated her divorce plans and had those conversations about money payoffs with her parents and hitman options with her brother. So for those who think Wendi was perhaps oblivious, the communication pattern involving Wendi and family on solutions must all abruptly halted JUST AS Wendi’s problems escalated. Such as the upcoming court judgments addressing Wendi and her lawyer’s unclean hands for not disclosing money and assets. Restrictions placed on Donna and accusations of bad mouthing a parent to his young children. And lastly, Dan’s new smiles and finding happiness with a sophisticated and much more credentialed woman.
This communication shift is what would have had to happen for those who consider her innocent and not a murderess. As all this was reaching a boiling point...BAM BAM.

We have sympathetic thinking that Wendi was unaware and not capable. Nothing can prove her of being involved as of now. She is indeed absent from all of the LE surveillance after the murder. Her family could have secretly and privately left her out of huge actions that were being carried out for her benefit. Because they "thought it is was good somehow." Even though she and her family discussed and looked into the same issue resolutions to her problems just a year before? Hey, it’s possible, I guess. But this is also a family who she very loyal to and entrenched with on a daily basis.

Many people confuse “on the behalf of” with “on the part of”

“On the part of” would clearly mean WA. If the prosecutor is quoting Rivera directly, he may not understand the subtle difference.

The following case involves the IRS and their interpretation of the phrase, “on behalf of” in divorce cases. It is interesting. If our courts decided in a similar way, then WA would be the only one going to prison. I doubt that is the case, but maybe an attorney knows of a similar law case where interpretation of the phrase is necessary

STOCK REDEMPTIONS AND SECTION 1041

Under section 1041, a transfer of property by one spouse to a former spouse is not a taxable event if it is incident to (as a result of) a divorce. Under temporary regulations section 1.1041-1T(c), a transfer of property to a third party on behalf of a former spouse also is not taxable if it is required by the divorce or separation instrument. However, the transfer is taxable to the nontransferring spouse.

Example. To satisfy the terms of his divorce decree, Howard transfers corporate stock to an attorney in payment of the legal fees of his former spouse, Wanda. The stock has a fair market value of $10,000 and a basis to Howard of $1,000. Under temporary regulations section 1.1041-1T(c), Wanda is taxed on a $9,000 capital gain because the transfer was (1) on her behalf and (2) required by the couple's divorce decree. The IRS considers two transfers to have taken place: The first deemed transfer is from Howard to Wanda; the second is from Wanda to the third party, her attorney. Section 1041 tax-free treatment applies only to the first transfer; the second is taxable to Wanda

Wanda has to pay for what Howard did, because he did it “on her behalf”. Of course she knew about the transaction.

It all seems to rest upon whether or not it is believable that a brother would kill his sister’s husband, without her knowledge and approval.

If a decent person had a brother such as this, they would have cut family ties long ago. One brother did. That leaves WA as someone who was in agreement with CA and knew that he was capable of murder. After all, he had told her about his search for a hitman.
Of course they discussed it. CA needed to know Dan’s schedule, when he was out of town and other particulars that only she knew.

In my opinion, the only way that CA and DA would have undertaken the planning of a murder on WA’s behalf without her knowledge is if they think she is a bumbling idiot who is not capable of clear thought and lacks the necessary skills to function as an independent human being. They were not planning a surprise birthday party.

I don’t care if WA is a man, woman or transvestite. If the situation was changed and WA was offing CA’s spouse, I still could not comprehend that she would do this without his knowledge, approval and help.

Unless she thought he was a bumbling idiot who was not capable of clear thought and lacked the necessary skills to function as an independent human being.

Again, reminded of " Game Theory " and of the winner on The Weakest Link.imo.
[video=youtube;7-fEYuoB3NI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-fEYuoB3NI[/video]

I did not know what I was watching until the second time around the room. I did not recognize her at all.

Does anyone know her age when this was made? She does seem more like the "bumbling idiot..." type. I am shocked. I thought I was making a suggestion "about a bumbling idiot" that was so farfetched it would never be considered as a possibility
Maybe she did not know.

But how did she get through Law School?
Or high school for that matter. A giraffe?

Maybe she is in high school?

I did not know what I was watching until the second time around the room. I did not recognize her at all.

Does anyone know her age when this was made? She does seem more like the "bumbling idiot..." type. I am shocked. I thought I was making a suggestion "about a bumbling idiot" that was so farfetched it would never be considered as a possibility
Maybe she did not know.

WA was 23 at that time.
As i understand the game, the strategy is to vote off the people most likely to answer the questions correctly, to give other contestants a better chance of winning.
It is not surprising that WA was not voted off as " the weakest link ", considering her giraffe and contortionist comments.
Apparently underestimated, WA gave wrong answers, but lasted in the game long enough to give the correct answer at the end.
She won the game and the money!
imo, speculation.

At least that is how i think the game is played.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weakest_Link

Maybe she did not know.

She is older than high school but I totally know where you are coming from. And her flirting is a bit childish, or maybe corny. And, if you read her book you will find her writing is not good and sophomoric.

A few things about this case concern me:

1) What is stopping the Adelson's from fleeing? Did they take way their passports? As it gets closer, I just think there is a likelihood they could flee especially since they got money

2) I am also concerned about reasonable doubt. On one hand, if others flip, there is always the argument that of course they would flip because when faced with a life term and one potential "lyer" (as defense attorneys would argue), someone like KA would lie and take 10 years even if she did not do anything just not to take the risk of a life sentence. that is why I think KA sentence has to be high to obviate this concern. She has to get at least 15 years.

3) Even saying that, however, how could you prove beyond a reasonable doubt which family members were involved? Besides testimony of any snitches, you have some circumstantial evidence but not too much against WA.

Saying all this, I hope all who are responsible serve long prison terms and that the police have more evidence they are not releasing. I went to law school with Dan and it is a travesty this happened to him and his two poor sons. Anyone who played any part in this horrible plan should be in prison or even death penalty.

Sorry, I should probably know, but what is Lat?

David Lat -- runs the "Above the Law" blog quoted above. Lat's seeming reluctance to take seriously evidence that implicates WA has been irksome to some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxmia2020