GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo, LR starting to look menacing . Is he covertly signalling something with his mouth, hand on face gestures? imo, speculation.

He can't read... So she can't refresh his recollection via the taped interview? Have him watch and listen so the jury can't hear?

Why couldn't she just read out loud to him?

Why couldn't she just read out loud to him?
I think she can only do that (and let the jury hear his prior statement) if after he reads/hears it, he says he still doesn't remember it. He has to try to use his memory first. JMO.

ulie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 4m4 minutes ago
Luis Rivera now describing his role as the head of the Latin Kings gang. “I was born into it,” he said @WCTV

Blaise L Gainey‏ @BlaiseGainey 2m2 minutes ago
Rivera was the leader of the North Miami tribe of Latin Kings. He says they had around 100 people. Just in North Miami alone, including Miami he says that number would go up. And agrees there is a Latin King presence everywhere.

Blaise L Gainey‏ @BlaiseGainey 7m7 minutes ago
Says he doesn't know about Tallahassee's Latin Kings. He knows they have them but he doesn't know them. Says they probably know his name since he was a leader.

Blaise L Gainey‏ @BlaiseGainey 4m4 minutes ago
Rivera says he can't read so Zangeneh will have to read documents out loud to him. Rivera says he sold drugs to take care of family and the Latin King nation.

Blaise L Gainey‏ @BlaiseGainey 3m3 minutes ago
He brings up info about a "code of silence" rule that is to be followed in the KMC book (a sort of handbook for Latin Kings to follow). He says the punishment is that he will be killed for cooperating says, "they're doing it right now, they're trying to kill me."

Blaise L Gainey‏ @BlaiseGainey 2m2 minutes ago
He says the beginning of his cooperation was the end of his affiliation as a Latin King.

Julie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 3m3 minutes ago
Rivera says the Latin Kings “are going to try to kill me” for testifying against Garcia, saying he’s kept in protective custody in federal prison @WCTV

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 7m7 minutes ago
Rivera says on the way back to Miami, Garcia talked to Katherine Magbanua on the speaker phone. Garcia said it was done and Magbanua said "I already know." RIvera said she was loud enough to hear. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

This makes me a bit queasy, it's feels almost too convenient. It's crucial evidence suggesting CA informed KM in his call around 11:30, ie he had a spy or was monitoring a scanner, and it therefore links CA directly to the hit. (ETA, I accept that could be true). But it showing up this way as evidence seems tenuous, would Garcia really put the call on speaker phone?

LR turning on his brother like this is bad. He surely doesn't want Garcia to get the death penalty. I worry the cooperating witness was trying to be too cooperative.

Slightly off topic of Rivera——but I was wondering if anyone knows who was supposed to pick up the kids after preschool on Fri July 18?

I’ve seen it said that it would have been Wendi since Dan was going to NY. But not sure if Dan’s flight was set for later Fri or on Sat.
But Wendi testified she was supposed to go to that “stock the bar”party on Fri night, right? So I think Dan would be supposed to have the kids Fri evening?

Great question!!

This makes me a bit queasy, it's feels almost too convenient. It's crucial evidence suggesting CA informed KM in his call around 11:30, ie he had a spy or was monitoring a scanner, and it therefore links CA directly to the hit. (ETA, I accept that could be true). But it showing up this way as evidence seems tenuous, would Garcia really put the call on speaker phone?

LR turning on his brother like this is bad. He surely doesn't want Garcia to get the death penalty. I worry the cooperating witness was trying to be too cooperative.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying, but he didn't say Katie was on speaker phone. He said he could hear her anyway because the windows were up in the car. I'm sure you have heard entire phone conversations someone else is having with a person on the other end if the the volume is up and the person is talking loudly enough.

He's probably the scariest 5'4 guy in the federal prison system
I always wrongly assumed earlier in the case that SG was the badass after he was arrested first and because he was a big imposing guy compared to LR.

I wonder how it was decided between the two that SG would be the shooter on July 18. From what LR described on confession tape SG was perpetually drunk and disorderly and LR almost had to keep him on task.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying, but he didn't say Katie was on speaker phone. He said he could hear her anyway because the windows were up in the car. I'm sure you have heard entire phone conversations someone else is having with a person on the other end if the the volume is up and the person is talking loudly enough.
I was quoting the reporter who tweeted "Garcia talked to Katherine Magbanua on the speaker phone." That strikes me as potentially a lie, there's no other circumstances when LR listens to Garcia's calls on speaker phone, and why would Garcia put it on speaker phone anyway?

It's a very important piece of evidence, because LR can claim he heard it directly, not imagined it from overhearing a personal call, and he isn't reporting it as hearsay from Garcia.

In general, if defence can introduce doubt about a witness's veracity in any detail, the whole of that witnesses' testimony will lose value.

I was quoting the reporter who tweeted "Garcia talked to Katherine Magbanua on the speaker phone." That strikes me as potentially a lie, there's no other circumstances when LR listens to Garcia's calls on speaker phone, and why would Garcia put it on speaker phone anyway?

It's a very important piece of evidence, because LR can claim he heard it directly, not imagined it from overhearing a personal call, and he isn't reporting it as hearsay from Garcia.

In general, if defence can introduce doubt about a witness's veracity in any detail, the whole of that witnesses' testimony will lose value.

The reporter was wrong. He didn't say that. He said multiple times during his police interview that he could hear Katie's voice through Garcia's phone. He never once said, in the interview or so far on the stand, that Garcia had Katie on speaker.

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 32m32 minutes ago
Garcia's attorney has spent a lengthy amount of time talking about the Latin King's and gang affiliation. After a few objections from the state, Judge Hankinson has called yet another side bar. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 29m29 minutes ago
Garcia's attorney is now asking Rivera about conflicting answers. At a deposition, Rivera said he had never committed armed robbery. Now Rivera is saying he has. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 7m7 minutes ago
Rivera says that he and Garcia were drinking and snorting coke on the drive from Miami to Tallahassee. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 5m5 minutes ago
Garcia’s attorney is still asking Rivera about the alcohol and cocaine that the two had on the first trip to Tallahassee. @abc27 #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member