GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #7 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

0101ABA

Former Member
Reaction score
attachment.php
Florida State University professor Dan Markel was found in his Tallahassee, Florida, home on Friday. Police say there were no signs of robbery or burglary and have yet to disclose any motive.

According to Tallahassee police, officers found Markel after a neighbor called 911 at about 11 a.m. with reports of a "loud bang."

Markel, 41, was rushed to a local hospital, where he died the following day.
"While we cannot release specific information or details regarding this case, the Violent Crimes Unit is releasing that Mr. Markel's cause of death was a fatal gunshot wound to the head," Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo said in a statement.

By Monday, police had categorized the case as a homicide, and according to Tallahassee Police Department spokesman David Northway, Markel was the intended target.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/22/justice/fsu-professor-killing-mystery/

Probable Cause documents
Leon County Court Motions (dissolution of marriage)
Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4

Thread #5 - Fl - Dan Markel, 41, Fsu Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #5 *arrests*
Thread #6 - Found Deceased - FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of that, though, several times today I found myself looking at him on the stand and feeling so sad for him, wondering what his life could have been if he hadn't been born into the Latin Kings. Would he have learned to read and write? Gone to college? What could he have become? It's sad :(.
It is sad. He was born into a much different world than Dan Markel that’s for sure.
This is a huge life changer for him to confess and testify.

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I follow it because Dan is a “member of the tribe” and I want to see justice for him, his family and friends. My nephew was murdered 3 years ago and to date, no suspects. So I know grief, frustration and the sorrow firsthand.
Oh my gosh - so sorry to read this! What a nightmare. I hope his loved ones get justice soon too.

I can't believe these defense attorneys - the case is going so badly for them and they are influencing their clients not to plea??
The State, Garcia and Magbanua appear to agree on one point -- an intense dislike of Charlie and Wendi. Lacasse's testimony about Wendi was pretty devastating. None of the parties really challenged anything Lacasse said. So far Rivera's testimony is holding up. I've seen no evidence that supports Garcia's claim that Rivera was Charlie's drug supplier. The defense seems to be drowning. JMO.

what a difference between Lacasse and Wendi's testimonies, not just on the substance but the temprament, the sincerity - you could see Lacasse being remorseful when asked whether he had warned Dan about what he learned. You could see WA being so distant from all of this like this case had nothing to do with her, like the victim was not the father of her children (though she rehearsed saying she was grieving and hence threw up in the celebration party, and also probably got advice from her attorney to refer to Dan as "Dani" to sound more caring)
FSU Law Professor Murder Trial Day 3 Witnesses Jeffrey LaCasse & Stephen Lutes 100119

---

FSU Law Professor Murder Trial Day 3 Witness Sgt Chris Corbett 100119

what a difference between Lacasse and Wendi's testimonies, not just on the substance but the temprament, the sincerity - you could see Lacasse being remorseful when asked whether he had warned Dan about what he learned. You could see WA being so distant from all of this like this case had nothing to do with her, like the victim was not the father of her children (though she rehearsed saying she was grieving and hence threw up in the celebration party, and also probably got advice from her attorney to refer to Dan as "Dani" to sound more caring)

I agree with the differences between the two testimonies.

Also, the difference between her and Rivera testimony.

Uncanny that one can give more empathy and consideration to the head of an awful gang in comparison to her.

She and her entire family just make my skin crawl. The entire family, with the exception of the GOOD brother, reminds me of a bunch of Florida cockroaches that scurry and hide when the light shines on them.

For this case especially, I am so thankful that it happened in Florida with the sunshine laws.

It is out there for anybody and everybody to see all the evidence against this family even prior to them having charges against them.

May they live with the knowledge that everyone knows the truth even though they hide from it, and many of their peers, colleagues, members of their religious community, friends, Neighbors, patients, Etc are disgusted more with them than they are with a head of the Latin Kings.

Moo

.....G-d and Justice here on Earth are not done with them yet.

Moo

ETA disclaimer. Before she took the stand, I was doubtful that she was involved. I did a total 180 after the trial started

Last edited:
Very well said dixiegirl1035.
This must have hurt the dental practice and like a post a few days ago stated, it appears Wendi is no longer working for the Democracy Lives in Miami organization.
Just hope the Markel boys will be ok!

well said, appaling to think of the people who are still friends with these murderers.
I agree with the differences between the two testimonies.

Also, the difference between her and Rivera testimony.

Uncanny that one can give more empathy and consideration to the head of an awful gang in comparison to her.

She and her entire family just make my skin crawl. The entire family, with the exception of the GOOD brother, reminds me of a bunch of Florida cockroaches that scurry and hide when the light shines on them.

For this case especially, I am so thankful that it happened in Florida with the sunshine laws.

It is out there for anybody and everybody to see all the evidence against this family even prior to them having charges against them.

May they live with the knowledge that everyone knows the truth even though they hide from it, and many of their peers, colleagues, friends, Neighbors, patients, Etc are disgusted more with them than they are with a head of the Latin Kings.

Moo

.....G-d and Justice here on Earth are not done with them yet.

Moo

ETA disclaimer. Before she took the stand, I was doubtful that she was involved. I did a total 180 after the trial started

SG attorney Zangeneh is FLAILING.

After all these years to prepare this is how he is cross examining LR? It's lame and shows SG has basically no defense. When you are feeling more positive towards the convicted murderer gang leader than the attorney questioning him that's a big failure.

Also, LR is the only conspirator in this mess who has even attempted to come clean. Pointing out how he is now dead man walking with his fearsome gang family is not going to help SG in fact it detracts from the initial theme in opening of 'he only got [holds up 7 fingers] years. And mocking him for inability to read is not a good look.

If both SG and KM are convicted you'd better believe KM will appeal based on joint trial issues. She would be better off on trial alone and her attorneys are not as ridiculous as SGs.

Last edited:
But did he go against another member of the Latin Kings? Is Garcia a member

I haven't seen anywhere that SG was in the Latin Kings. Like LR says this doesn't have anything much to do with Latin Kings. SG was like a brother to him and that's why the two teamed up for this IMO.

SG legal strategy is to hit the Latin Kings stuff hard because SG isn't one. So the attorney is going to go as much as possible with talk of the gang handbook and cringe worthy references to the hood, pieces, stacks.

I think the LR cross exam could go on for days. I can't watch because I am so sick of SGs lawyer after today.
Even the way he cross examined Jeff Lacasse was pointless and meandering. 'Did you see Charlie go to to the bathroom? Was he sweaty?' I guess it's his theory that Charlie was on coke therefore coke dealer LR is the solo hit man. Not much of a defense there IMO. At least KMs attorney scored a point in his cross of Jeff by suggesting if as WA said Charlie was talking about hiring a hitman summer 2013, that would have been pre-KM relationship.

FSU Law Professor Murder Trial Day 3 Witness: Luis Rivera - Co Defendant Part 1 100119

---

FSU Law Professor Murder Trial Day 3 Witness: Luis Rivera - Co Defendant Part 2

the defense attorneys all look like amateurs. it's a tough case and the evidence is overwhelming, but i'm not impressed with their performances thus far. i certainly wouldn't want them defending me. their defense is a slow motion train wreck of what happens when the state's case is so strong that the defendants should've obviously cut deals a long time ago (KM was offered immunity) but (maybe) the alleged masterminds and/or their attorneys convinced them to do otherwise.

It seemed like the Garcia attorney's questioning about Rivera's latin kings fall from grace made him a sympathetic figure and bolstered his credibility. Not good for all the bad guys and gals.

But did he go against another member of the Latin Kings? Is Garcia a member of the Latin Kings also?

Rivera kept saying again and again this case has nothing to do with the Latin Kings.

Perhaps he considers, in his mind, that working with (now against) Garcia is something that wasn't associated with the gang, therefore he did not/does not have to follow gang rules?

As many things are in this case, the answer is tangential perhaps to the case, but it still is of interest to me as a WSer
But did he go against another member of the Latin Kings? Is Garcia a member of the Latin Kings also?

Rivera kept saying again and again this case has nothing to do with the Latin Kings.

Perhaps he considers, in his mind, that working with (now against) Garcia is something that wasn't associated with the gang, therefore he did not/does not have to follow gang rules?

As many things are in this case, the answer is tangential perhaps to the case, but it still is of interest to me as a WSer

It seemed like the Garcia attorney's questioning about Rivera's latin kings fall from grace made him a sympathetic figure and bolstered his credibility. Not good for all the bad guys and gals.

I haven't seen anywhere that SG was in the Latin Kings. Like LR says this doesn't have anything much to do with Latin Kings. SG was like a brother to him and that's why the two teamed up for this IMO.

SG legal strategy is to hit the Latin Kings stuff hard because SG isn't one. So the attorney is going to go as much as possible with talk of the gang handbook and cringe worthy references to the hood, pieces, stacks.

I think the LR cross exam could go on for days. I can't watch because I am so sick of SGs lawyer after today.
Even the way he cross examined Jeff Lacasse was pointless and meandering. 'Did you see Charlie go to to the bathroom? Was he sweaty?' I guess it's his theory that Charlie was on coke therefore coke dealer LR is the solo hit man. Not much of a defense there IMO. At least KMs attorney scored a point in his cross of Jeff by suggesting if as WA said Charlie was talking about hiring a hitman summer 2013, that would have been pre-KM relationship.

Okay then, if Garcia is not a Latin King member, I agree why bring up all of this stuff. He has no code with Garcia then. So all that talk of the rules goes out the window as to turning against Garcia and testifying against him as those rules are for members.

Rivera made clear it wasn't seven years as stated in the opening, but it was much more to be concurrent with his Federal sentencing.

He kept his cool on the stand, although I thought he was going to lose it a couple of times with the badgering and the Mocking by Garcia's attorney.

I totally missed the point about going to the bathroom and sweating. When the question was asked if he used the bathroom while they were in the hot tub, I was thinking yeah, of course, don't pee in my hot tub!

35 minutes to another day towards Justice.

ETA I just got a pop up on my computer for the Tallahassee Democrat. I guess my free views are about to end, and I get 3 months for $3.00 by calling 800.999.2271 using code W-3x

Last edited:

I thought Lacasse was going to cry when he was asked that. :(

At least KMs attorney scored a point in his cross of Jeff by suggesting if as WA said Charlie was talking about hiring a hitman summer 2013, that would have been pre-KM relationship.

Yes, but it also drove home that he couldn't find someone decent to do the job so he settled for these brainiacs after meeting KM. He probably started dating KM in the first place because he knew she had unsavory connections and morals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx