GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #7 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me, or is the defense attorney's voice akin to scratching on a blackboard? imo
Agree. I really don't think he's doing his client any favors. The jurors are feeling sorry for him, I am. He's somewhat mentally challenged and a heavy drug user, both factors in memory and recall. Few people could remember many specific details of what happened 5-plus years ago.

So the defense attorney has been looking back at his client (Garcia) to verify some of Rivera's answers to questions?!

I hope KM's female attorney, Tara Kawass, does the cross of Rivera. The male attorney on the team is beyond annoying. His tone is brutal to listen to.

Yes, she appears to be a " good " attorney that gets to the point. Versus a bloviating atty going round and round and round about nothing.

I say it in every case... Juries make me nervous - as you can't always predict an outcome. But, I believe the testimony of this illiterate former gang leader. I was even kinda proud of him for calling out defense atty for telling gang where he was housed via questioning.

For me to admit believing the words of a gang member was unthinkable until this case.

The defense theory of the case that LR was CAs cocaine source sort of falls apart because SG is just as cocaine-y a guy as LR. . He had it on him when he was arrested even. (While he was in that 2001 Lexus that had been owned by Adelsons)

The defense really has so little to say for either defendant. Sad!(not)

Blaise L Gainey‏ @BlaiseGainey 2h2 hours ago
Day 4 is beginning now. Rivera just took his seat. And he is being questioned now about phone calls and text messages he sent and received. Yesterday he said he couldn't read, they are questioning him about over 7 thousand text messages sent.

Julie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 2h2 hours ago
Getting ready for day 4 of testimony in Dan Markel case, Luis Rivera will be on the stand at 9 for continued cross examination. Watch it live on http://WCTV.TV @WCTV

EF3_P44X0AE3Q2U.jpg

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 2h2 hours ago
Court is back in session. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

We're now discussing a piece of evidence. The defense says that the state asked Rivera to identify voices on a wire tap and didn't give them enough time. They want the evidence excluded. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

The state plans to present 45 audio recordings to the court. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Judge Hankinson says the state didn't give the defense enough time. He'll sustain the defense's objection but he will allow some of the other tapes and the subject matter in the tapes be used. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Luis Rivera's attorneys have been released. That means they won't be taking the stand. Now the state is asking the judge to keep the defense from talking about Rivera's gang status. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 2h2 hours ago
Luis Rivera will take the stand again this morning. ASA Cappleman is trying to bar the defense from discussing his illegal dealings outside of the Markel case

"What he did for the federal case and his gang status are admissible because that was part of the plea agreement," Hankinson rules

"Your objections are about as generic as Mr. Zangeneh's questions."- Judge Hankinson's response to the state's motion. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

The judge says he'll deal with it instance by instance. Some of Rivera's background (including gang status) is admissible but he agrees that everything Rivera has done wrong in his life isn't admissible. He did say cross examination did focus a lot on irrelevant things. @abc27

Attorneys are discussing what to do ... Luis Rivera says he can’t read, but defense attorneys point out he received and responded to thousands of text messages on his phone @WCTV

Zangeneh is now showing Rivera his phone records. Between May 2014 and October 2014, records show that 7,885 test messages were sent back and forth. Rivera said he did speak to talk and his phone read the texts to him. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Blaise L Gainey‏ @BlaiseGainey 2h2 hours ago
He says he uses speech-to-text and to has the phone read him his messages. Saam Zangeneh asks Rivera how he passed his reading course. Rivera says he had a tutor.

Oh and about Rivera not being able to read, Garcia's attorney Saam Zangeneh did some digging. Rivera received AND SENT 8,000 or so texts and completed a federal prison literacy class where he received a passing grade.

Rivera says he's been taking reading and writing classes his whole life. He has a tutor and said he received a passing grade. Rivera still says that he can't read or write. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

"I believe that his testimony of his inability to read and write is not candid," Zangeneh said

Rivera said he uses the talk to text feature on his iPhone, had a tutor in prison and filled out rental documents logged as evidence in this case with the help of someone else

Rivera back on the stand, claims he uses audio function to send and read text messages, defense points out he filled out car rental agreement @WCTV

Zangeneh now asking Rivera how he managed to fill out the form to rent the Prius if he can't read. Rivera said the employee at the rental company showed where to write everything. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL

Zangeneh wrote out "My name is Luis Rivera." Rivera read it without a problem. RIvera says he is now on a third grade level. Rivera also said he wasn't on a third grade level back in 2014. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Law & Crime Network‏Verified account @LawCrimeNetwork 2h2 hours ago
WATCH LIVE: #MarkelMurder - Day 4 in the murder trial of FSU law professor Dan Markel. Sigfredo Garcia and Katherine Magbanua are charged with what police say was a murder-for-hire orchestrated by Markel's ex-in-laws however, they have not been charged. https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/live-trials-current/dan-markel/watch-live-murder-trial-in-shooting-death-of-fsu-law-professor-dan-markel/ …

Now Zangeneh is asking Rivera about conflicting statements. This first one deals with who drove from Miami to Tallahassee for that first trip. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

"Let's not mislead the witness please. That's not accurate."_ Judge Hankinson interrupting Saam Zangeneh during cross examination of Luis Rivera. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Zangeneh asks Rivera if he's even been diagnosed as bipolar or schizophrenic. Rivera answer "yes, sir." to both. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Blaise L Gainey‏ @BlaiseGainey 1h1 hour ago
Rivera is asked if he has ever been diagnosed with schizophrenia and a bipolar disorder. He confirms it. Although he says he is not on medication right now.

Rivera: "I've been doing cocaine since i was 15 years old Sir." Says he considers it medication.

Blaise L Gainey‏ @BlaiseGainey 58m58 minutes ago
Rivera seems to not like when Latin Kings is brought up he says, "This has nothing to do with that, its about me and Garcia," pointing to Sigfredo as he says his name.

Judge has already ruled earlier that any references to gang activity unrelated to this incident should be left out.

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 1h1 hour ago
When asked who convinced Garcia to take the hit job, Rivera says "Katy"

Zangeneh is trying to get to the question of whether Rivera sold cocaine to Charlie Adelson. Judge has ruled that can't happen so is sustaining objections

Julie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 1h1 hour ago
“He’s my best friend,” Rivera said of Garcia. That’s why Rivera says he agreed to return to TLH in July to finish the job @WCTV

Rivera said Garcia will be his best friend until he's dead and gone. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Rivera says Magbanua had a lot of influence over Garcia, answers “yes” when asked if she was “driving force” in plot @WCTV

Zangeneh is asking Rivera why he didn't want to go through with the murder in June, but agreed to go back to Tallahassee to kill Dan Markel a month later. Rivera said he did it for Garcia. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 1h1 hour ago
Rivera said Sigfredo Garcia is still in love with Katherine Magbanua. He says that at the time of the murder, Magbanua was dating "the dentist" (Charlie Adelson) #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Rivera says Garcia didn't like Charlie Adelson. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Rivera says $35,000 is not the most money he’s ever made for a job @WCTV

Rivera said the murder wasn't the most amount of money he's made for a job. He said his live in girlfriend didn't know about any money exchange and didn't see the exchange happen. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Yes, but it also drove home that he couldn't find someone decent to do the job so he settled for these brainiacs after meeting KM. He probably started dating KM in the first place because he knew she had unsavory connections and morals.
There was a business in the area known as SG Solutions.Inc. SG/KM were President/Vice-President. I have no idea if it was active at the time. Only God knows what their business was truly about. Evidently down in that area a hit can be ordered no different than a Dominoes Pizza. According to testimony, SG approached LR about a job. IMO. This could be one of many unsolved cases these defendants have pulled off. We still do not know exactly how CA/KM met in the first place. The job at the Dental office may just have been a ruse all along from the get-go.

Rivera now talking about his interviews with the lead investigator. He says he was at an open table with his lawyers and the detective. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

"You're confusing me, now. Come back." Rivera to Zangeneh during questioning. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

"Why you keep talking about Latin Kings? This ain't got nothing to do with Latin Kings." at the point, Rivera is tired of Zangeneh bringing up his gang affiliation. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

“It’s got nothing to do with the Latin Kings, it has to do with me and Garcia” Rivera says, raising his voice in response to question about search for the murder weapon @WCTV

"Was there ever a time that law enforcement asked you questions through your attorney, he came and discussed those questions with you and he would go back and tell the police" Zangeneh asked.

Rivera took police to this bridge where he believed the gun was thrown off. Zangeneh asks if he just took them to a bridge known to be a firearm dumping ground for Latin Kings

EF4NVBjWkAA8X6c.jpg

"Why do you keep saying Latin Kings. This don’t have nothing to do with them. This is about me and Garcia," Rivera replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member