GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #7 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He more than likely was highly career driven. He managed to get accepted and graduate from Harvard. My guess is that WA was a bit jealous of all that. She was used to being in the limelight. She said he didn't view her as an equal. Apparently, he didn't worship her the way she felt she deserved. So she stormed out of the marriage like a child.
After the divorce, WA told anyone who would listen that DM treated her badly. From what I've been able to learn, his ''sins'' were the following:
1. His career was more successful than hers - he was a highly regarded legal scholar. All of her life, her parents had idolized her and told her she was the best at everything she did; now she had to play second fiddle to someone who was more accomplished.
2. He loved her but he didn't idolize her or put her on a pedestal the way her parents had.
3. His career kept them in Tallahassee (he was a tenured professor at FSU) and she felt trapped in a city she hated.
4. When she wanted to move back to Miami with the kids, he fought for and was granted joint custody - forcing her to stay in Tallahassee.
It's too bad he didn't read her book, or he wouldn't have been blindsided by the divorce. Her book is a thinly-disguised autobiography in which the heroine is a beautiful, idealistic and successful immigration lawyer who is married to a professor whom she despises.

Last edited:
One thing I found interesting was the jury questions for WA. She spoke towards the jury once instructed by the Judge, except for one question. The question that asked about what was wrong with her television. Her body language and explanation was off. She didn't even look at the jury. Just makes my radar go off. JMO
I wonder what the exact time the TV repairman left her house. In my opinion... We will find that one out during her trial.

Last edited:
Also, when questioned about how closely she was following the case, Wendi claimed that she only knew about it because of the death threats she has supposedly received. Of course, she's the real victim here. Obviously, these are non-serious threat, but DM didn't even receive the "courtesy" of advanced notice.

When all is said and done and if the State of Florida indicts her for conspiracy to commit murder...What does she think they will threaten her with?

And did you all notice how she said "the state is not going to charge me" with so much certainty. Like, please, no one can touch me!

She knew!! She went home and cried to mommy and daddy and the brother was charged to make the bad man go away! I can't fathom for the life of me why KM is not throwing CA under the bus!! Garcia is going down. There's no question. Why not save herself for their kids?

I noticed that as well. That was a good question by the jury. JMO.
I thought it was odd that a TV repairman would go out to a home to fix a broken screen. Wouldn’t that be under warranty and you’d have to bring it in yourself somewhere? I don’t know, just thought that was how it usually worked.

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 2h2 hours ago
The investigator said she reviewed 44, $407.58 bi-weekly checks - totaling $17,729 - from the Adelson Institute to Katherine Magbanua where she worked from Oct 2014 through May 17, 2016

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 2h2 hours ago
Checks were signed by Donna Adelson, the former in-law of Dan Markel

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 1h1 hour ago
But the investigator said in reviewing Magbanua's employment records, she didn't find time sheets or a job description

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 1h1 hour ago
We're on lunch.

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 18m18 minutes ago
And we're back. The state is still questioning Mary Hull. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 17m17 minutes ago
Charlie Adelson texted Katherine Magbanua's name, birthday, and address to his mother in September of 2014. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 15m15 minutes ago
Hull says Donna Adelson wrote three checks in 2 days to Katherine Magbanua (and written one after the other in the checkbook) #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 13m13 minutes ago
The financial investigator is continuing to detail the bank account of Katherine Magbanua that shows groups of sequential checks from 2015 and 2016 that would have been written at the same time

I thought it was odd that a TV repairman would go out to a home to fix a broken screen. Wouldn’t that be under warranty and you’d have to bring it in yourself somewhere? I don’t know, just thought that was how it usually worked.
I think it was Best Buy Geek Squad type repair that goes out to homes. It is verified by LE that the repairman was there at her residence. The prosecution has stated in an affidavit that Donna made the appointment for Wendi but on the stand Wendi testified she thought she set up the appointment herself

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 9m9 minutes ago
Magbanua got a breast augmentation for $4.5k. Hull says there were 2 payments that came from her debit card. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 9m9 minutes ago
Magbanua's breast augmentation is being discussed. Prosecutors think it was paid for by the Adelsons

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 7m7 minutes ago
Hull says she didn't find any corresponding cash withdrawals to pay for the rest. No cash advance and if she had done small withdrawals to make up, it would've taken 10 months of savings according to withdrawals from her account. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Alibi... All the other stuff didn't go according to plan. DM on phone when executed, the neighbor hearing gunshots, Call to 911, bus videos, cell records...Therefore exact time of death and a track back to her and her own family and others is documented... It makes the TV Repairman alibi very suspicious timing.

Hull says the paycheck amount from the Adelson Institute never changed. That means she made the same amount of money during her recovery from the plastic surgery. @abc27 #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 5m5 minutes ago
As the finanacial crime investigator talks about Magbanaua's bank record, Magbanua shakes her head. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 10m10 minutes ago
Here's my August 2016 story on the subject, roughly a month before Magbanua was arrested

Can't access his article, but here's another on the breast augmentation:

Prosecutors seek breast augmentation records in Markel murder case

And another:

The Dan Markel Case: Prosecutors Want To Know Who Paid For These Breast Implants

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 8m8 minutes ago
At the time, she was listed as either a witness or possible suspect in Markel's murder

Last edited:
Erika Johnson gets on the stand,

First question,

Prosecutor: How are you employed?
EJ: *blank face* I'm sorry
Prosecutor: How are you employed?
EJ: *furrows brows*

God Lawd!!! LMAO. I can already see this testimony is about to be painful!

I find that very suspect. The whole tv thing is suspect. Even DA refers to the undercover agent as a tv that is going to cost them 5k. ( Probable cause affidavit for CA) Plus her brother purchasing her a tv for a divorce gift. I don't look at my tv the same way anymore after this trial.

After the divorce, WA told anyone who would listen that DM treated her badly. From what I've been able to learn, his ''sins'' were the following:
1. His career was more successful than hers - he was a highly regarded legal scholar. All of her life, her parents had idolized her and told her she was the best at everything she did; now she had to play second fiddle to someone who was more accomplished.
2. He loved her but he didn't idolize her or put her on a pedestal the way her parents had.
3. His career kept them in Tallahassee (he was a tenured professor at FSU) and she felt trapped in a city she hated.
4. When she wanted to move back to Miami with the kids, he fought for and was granted joint custody - forcing her to stay in Tallahassee.
It's too bad he didn't read her book, or he wouldn't have been blindsided by the divorce. Her book is a thinly-disguised autobiography in which the heroine is a beautiful, idealistic and successful immigration lawyer who is married to a professor whom she despises.

These points are true but there's a lot more. Dan stuck Wendi with most of the child care, including being gone at conferences and other events on the regular. I think like many successful men he just assumed that's how marriages work; husbands go out and work and succeed, and wives carry more of the domestic load. Keep in mind that when she published her book (admittedly a low-quality snipe job about Dan and her life) he didn't even read it, because he didn't like fiction. Totally consistent with his being egotistical and clueless about how to treat a spouse decently.

That said, her whole "Danny hurt me" thing is BS. He never was ever physically violent with her, and her intimations to the contrary are totally disingenuous and misleading. They just had a bad relationship, and the fault for that was shared, as it usually is. Might more of the fault have been Dan's? Maybe, but I don't really know and the truth is none of us do.

What I'm saying is, Dan was no saint. He could be arrogant, callous, and totally clueless about how his behavior affected people. I can see why Wendi would want to divorce him. That, however, is where it ends. Her outsized resentment and the emotional violence with which she went about the divorce were totally out of line. As I've said elsewhere in this thread, she and her family became consumed with bitterness toward him, and it ended up destroying lives. We all have bad things happen, but the lesson I take away from this is to just move on, put it in the past, and live a happy life. If you let resentment ripen into hate, it might consume you. It certainly consumed the Adelsons, and look what happened.

I'm not sure that the fact that he didn't like fiction and probably knew his wife was not a skilled writer means he's egotistical and clueless. I think they were probably having problems in the relationship and he wasn't going out of his way to be ingratiating towards her. And writing a book that is all about not-so-subliminally bashing your husband is not exactly going to make your husband want to read it. I mean, I'm sure he realized that's what the book was about.

Many married men expect their wives to carry nearly all of the domestic load and childcare. Many women work outside the home and come home to work a second shift. Sadly, this dynamic hasn't really changed all that much, generally speaking. I would definitely understand her frustration after the kids came along to realize that she was going to be relegated to that status. Also, my understanding was that she wasn't able to get a career going in Tallahassee. I can definitely see resentment building due to that. But I'm also not sure if she wants to work as an attorney or what she does now. I think she's a spoiled brat and probably didn't have much direction. If you're someone like that, it's very difficult to be with someone who's driven and determined and knows what they want.

But I can see him being arrogant and callous. And selfish. But I give him the benefit of the doubt because of what I saw on the stand.

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 2m2 minutes ago
Records show 63% of Magbanua's income source was case deposit in 2014. 51% in 2015. Adelson Institute came in second place both years. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

From 2013-2016, $88,021.33 was deposited in Magbanua's account according to Hull. $15,600 was deposited the year of the murder. $10,000 was deposited in the 4 months following the murder. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

August 2014 had the highest cash deposits of all months between 2013 and 2016. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Hull says there's no record of employment for when Magbanua's bank account is at its highest. This was around the time Markel was murdered. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 5m5 minutes ago
The Adelson parents income was approximately $2 million from 2013-2016. Charlie Adelson made between $3 million and $3.5 million in that time frame. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

I think it was Best Buy Geek Squad type repair that goes out to homes. It is verified by LE that the repairman was there at her residence. The prosecution has stated in an affidavit that Donna made the appointment for Wendi but on the stand Wendi testified she thought she set up the appointment herself
Ok thanks. I’m sure they verified that!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member