GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #7 *arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't doubt that WA probably had good reasons to get out of the divorce; like many people, she made a mistake in choosing a spouse. What I'm having a hard time understanding is her rage and loathing towards DM, to the point where she wanted him completely out of their kids' lives and (perhaps) took part in a plot to kill him.

This is just a pretrial look for the lawyers for CA. Doesn't make any sense with the overwhelming evidence the State has presented thus far that a deal hasn't been done for these two. One would think a family member would get to these two and explain the consequences to them and have them boot these Attorney's and deal with the State themselves for a better deal then they will get otherwise. They say one who represents himself has a fool for a client but what if you have a fool for a lawyer? IMO.

Probably because that's gross income, not net. Or in other words, the profits from a small dental office are probably in the 200-300k range.

Another possibility: her family has since transferred their money into trusts so that they are no longer the legal owners of those accounts. This is a way the family could retain control over assets while still being able to stay, in a technical, lawyerly sense, that they are not millionaires.

Another possibility is that she was simply lying, as when she said she was happy that the judge denied her motion to modify the divorce decree so she could relocate to Miami.

...I'm having a hard time understanding is her rage and loathing towards DM, to the point where she wanted him completely out of their kids' lives..

I have absolutely no difficulty understanding this. This is a relatively mundane attitude whose only purpose is to control the other spouse to the ultimate end of demonstrating to the hated-one that they control the most basic of all rights - the right to direct the development of your own children. I'm sure people here have seen this played out an uncountable number of times. As to murder....well...thankfully that's less mundane. The keystone cops aspect of this case makes it so interesting, with everyone feeling they were just sooo smart. All of their combined IQs (including all Adelsons) was probably < DM.

I can understand WA's frustration at having her career and life choices limited by her husband's career; however, she chose to marry him and have children with him. Her actions during and after the divorce were way out of proportion; the only justification for ghosting a spouse, as she did, is if the spouse presents a clear physical danger to yourself or your children, and that was never the case with Dan.

I have a hard time listening to this attorney because of his angry, sarcastic tone. I can't focus on the substance, just the anger. JMO.

Completely agree. He's accusatory, snarky, rude, condescending...the list goes on. As much as I want to watch the whole trial, I have to mute it when he's speaking. Otherwise, I'd probably punch my laptop.

When I watched her on the witness stand, I kept thinking of the Stepford Wives movie I watched long ago. The way she tilt her head and had that "deer in the headlights look". I wouldn't have been suprised if her head did a 360 while sparks flew in the courtroom.

I kept thinking of JA

Both sourced, Google images

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191004-154318_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191004-154318_Chrome.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20191004_154739.jpg
    20191004_154739.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 15
I remember on Dateline or 48 hours, they said that Dan Markel was controlling. Apparently she wrote a book and he showed no interest whatsoever. Apparently he was so career obsessed and that's all he cared about, and he had her in a box. Apparently, she hated Tallahassee and he sort of forced her to stay for his career. She was very unhappy there. It sounded like he only cared about himself and was dominating. That's what I remember about it. And then she decided to leave and felt trapped in Tallahassee.

Even if all that is true about him, I'm not saying it excuses getting him killed. But I also really doubt it's true. I think it's more likely SHE'S the narcissist and she's projecting all her bs onto him and smearing him. I think he was probably a reasonable person making reasonable choices, and she wanted to be a spoiled princess. And apparently her book was unreadable. lol

I'll put in my two cents on this one as I can't sit on hands.

She put in writing in that about her marriage, and trashed him to the hilt! He, as a "good" husband with an out-of-control narcissistic wife, said that he did not read it. But you can be sure that he knew exactly what was in that book in my opinion. He said he did not read it perhaps because he did not want to have a confrontation and say

" you stupid b**ch, what the hell are you doing! Everyone knows that is not fiction and why are you trash-talking me" and escalating what she started .
(A la what she did with Jeff right before the murder?)

That, to me, showed he had extreme self-control! I could go on and on about this, but imagine somebody you are married to put your trash and her feelings out in a book so that all your friends and family could see. A one-sided presentation to them.

Him denying that he read it prevented the escalation from back and forth, which perhaps she was asking for and pushing for in my opinion.

He took the high road, as he pretty much had to do often when she tried to push his buttons in my opinion.

* steps off soapbox*

She put in writing in that about her marriage, and trashed him to the hilt! He, as a "good" husband with an out-of-control narcissistic wife, said that he did not read it. But you can be sure that he knew exactly what was in that book in my opinion. He said he did not read it perhaps because he did not want to have a confrontation and say

" you stupid b**ch, what the hell are you doing! Everyone knows that is not fiction and why are you trash-talking me" and escalating what she started .

That, to me, showed he had extreme self-control! I could go on and on about this, but imagine somebody you are married to put your trash and her feelings out in a book so that all your friends and family could see. A one-sided presentation to them.

He took the high road, as he pretty much had to do often when she tried to push his buttons in my opinion.

* steps off soapbox*

100% makes sense to me knowing what I know about narcissists. They will always make you out to be the out of control, unreasonable one while they provoke you incessantly. They are very good at convincing people they are the victim. Anything you say or do or don't say or don't do will be used against you. There was no way for him to win with her. She had to have everything her way. I believe that. And the proof is in his execution. He didn't follow along and the ultimate devaluing of another by a narcissist is to kill you.

I have a question. From sources like the podcast I thought the story was that DM and WA met on J Date. At that time she was in law school in Miami. She testified they met 2004 and wed in 2006 (I think it was February 2006). That that they lived in Tallahassee for the 2005-2006 academic year and then in Miami 2006-2007 year where Dan tried to get a job at that law school but it did not work out. Then back to Tallahassee.

So was Dan already a law professor at FSU when they met? If not why was he in Florida. Just wondering with all the discussion of her being a trailing spouse.

Him denying that he read it prevented the escalation from back and forth, which perhaps she was asking for and pushing for in my opinion.

* steps off soapbox*
I have no idea what happened here but once you know that something negative has been printed about you by a family member, I can imagine not wanting to read the whole thing. Why put yourself through that? If a spouse wrote negative things about me in the guise of fiction I would file for divorce. JMO.

I have a question. From sources like the podcast I thought the story was that DM and WA met on J Date. At that time she was in law school in Miami. She testified they met 2004 and wed in 2006 (I think it was February 2006). That that they lived in Tallahassee for the 2005-2006 academic year and then in Miami 2006-2007 year where Dan tried to get a job at that law school but it did not work out. Then back to Tallahassee.

So was Dan already a law professor at FSU when they met? If not why was he in Florida. Just wondering with all the discussion of her being a trailing spouse.
rbbm
Dan Markel Case: What You Need to Know
Daniel Eric Markel was born on October 9, 1972 and raised in Toronto, Canada. He later graduated magna *advertiser censored* laude from Harvard Law School in 2001. He studied at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and earned a master's in political theory at Cambridge before returning to Harvard for his law degree.

Before he started teaching at Florida State, Markel served as law clerk to Judge Michael Daly Hawkins of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit . He joined FSU's College of Law in 2005 and held the post of the D'Alemberte professor of law.

Not long after he began working at FSU, Markel got married to Wendi Adelson on February 26, 2006, their wedding announced in The New York Times . Adelson was a third-year law student at the University of Miami at the time and later became a clinical law professor at FSU.

Markel and Adelson had two sons together: Benjamin in 2009 and Lincoln in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kfran