GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #8 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a classmate of Dan's at Harvard law; he was the type of person I think everyone in the class knew at least in passing. at least there is some measure of justice today for his family. I hope it continues and the rest go to jail as well. Why won't Garcia take a plea to save his life? it is Florida ya know - they actually implement their death penalty. and watching 20/20 now they have him on video.

I think it was a mistake to try KM together with Garcia. The evidence was just so much more for Garcia that thee jury might have gotten confused.

Wait, who is Jim Lewis??

ETA: Sorry, on the 20/20 special there's a recording between Jim Lewis and KM where he's telling her her name is out there being connected to it all and he thinks the next thing she'll experience is herself being arrested. She says, "OK."

I had forgotten (or never knew) that Donna called the number on the paper back, and that was recorded...... They left this out of the trial......interesting.
I didn’t know that either! New info to me! Dang...she is so guilty! A not guilty person would have called and reported the incident to police!

I had forgotten (or never knew) that Donna called the number on the paper back, and that was recorded...... They left this out of the trial......interesting.

And she said something about him being in jail and I didn't hear the FBI say anything about jail.

Wait, who is Jim Lewis??

ETA: Sorry, on the 20/20 special there's a recording between Jim Lewis and KM where he's telling her her name is out there being connected to it all and he thinks the next thing she'll experience is herself being arrested. She says, "OK."

KM's response was very telling! Certainly not what you would expect from someone proclaiming their innocence.

The 20/20 was really good, but could have been 3 hours to get everything in. Still, they did a good job with the limited time.

I'm a Christian, but the Markels' total class and ability to not display hatred and anger almost makes me want to convert to Judaism. They are such a class act.

Last edited:
The 20/20 presentation was extremely well done, in my opinion. Really drove home the point that KM is the critical link to the killing. She has to be miserable to realize that not only has SG gone down, she has no reasonable prospect of escaping responsibility. This is so different than almost every other mistrial in a major murder trial because, in this case, Katie took the stand. Most people don't realize how extraordinarily rare it is for a defendant in a murder trial to take the stand. Here's an apropos quote from Jack Martin, a prominent criminal defense attorney in Atlanta:

“When the client testifies, it turns the case into whether the prosecution proved its case into whether the jury believes your client. Typically, you want the jury to answer the first question, not the second. A defendant who takes the stand has an almost impossible job."
Here we see that Katie escaped conviction by the skin of her teeth only to now have hours of testimony under oath recorded on video. Her hope for acquittal now hinges upon whether that testimony will be judged as truthful. If she doesn't cut a deal you can be assured that the considerable resources of the State will be working hard to dissect and disprove as much of her defense as possible. People who think the odds of her conviction have gone down are not considering the implications of her being locked down to what was an implausible story to begin with.

I would bet serious money on a grand jury indictment of Charlie Adelson before Christmas -- with or without either KM or SG flipping.

I didn’t realize that the State does not reach out to make deals — it’s the other way around. She does not reach out to make deals with defendants who are represented by council.

I just saw GC’s interview on my local news.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member