GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day for Georgia C. Who said “Nobody puts Katie in the corner”?

I’m afraid that Katie was humanized a bit today and that’ll impact some jurors. It was heartwarming to learn that she’s a great mother. Maybe the best. That she was too busy to go clubbing with Charlie because of childcare and too dedicated to ask her friend to babysit. (Except for that one night after the murder- what was up with that? That must have been important. What was she doing that night?). But, I have to balance Katie’s wholesomeness against the values and behavior of the men she hangs with who also believe that family is most important. That a man’s greatest responsibility is to his children and wife.

But, their code is a dark one when fully revealed - if the money’s good they have full license to execute anyone. No questions asked. As Luis said to DeCoste in my most favorite exchange: “Let’s ride.”

Go Georgia. Once she nabs Katie, will she seek the death penalty for Charlie? Then Donna? Old Sparky?

UPDATE/EDIT: I am now seeing from Florida Politics article that the judge ruled that some of the calls would be too prejudicial and that translation will take too long so only the english calls without Kawass on them will be allowed in. I would love to see a time stamp when this ruling was made as it makes very little sense, particularly about not wanting to get spanish calls translated. Crazy. What in the world is going on here?
8:35:15 here:

That podcast and particularly the bits of Robert Adelson and his wife offered a very unique glimpse into the Adelson family dynamics and particularly just how far Donna will go to control and interfere with her adult children's lives, including Robert's. I believe he finally became estranged from the family after the murder and he was wanting to talk about who could have done it and none of the other Adelsons wanted to discuss it. They all thought he was strange for bringing it up and he thought THEY were strange (i.e., likely involved) for NOT wanting to discuss the case or who could have done it.

The 'Honest Abe' bit was just a small thing but its rather telling. It wasn't just Charlie that thought it was strange that he would return money to a cashier when he was undercharged - it was everyone. For normal people this is not an ethical dilemma at all - you give the money back. But the more we learn about the Adelsons and how they tried to deal in as much cash as possible (including Harvey), going so far as to offer discounts for cash payments on dental services - likely to defraud the government on taxes.

And so with a family like this....capable of murdering the father of those kids, one of the nightmare scenarios I think about is - if they are capable of that, what makes anyone think they aren't capable of bribing a juror? Something tells me they aren't at all bothered by the sanctity of justice. There is no ethical dilemma here or anywhere in life. They just want to win and they will do whatever it takes, whatever the cost.
This. I think they may have bribed TWO jurors to get the former verdict. There is some sort of deal with Katie, I feel sure. Money was put into trust long ago and she knows it's waiting for her on the other side.

I believe the court ruled that the court will not use any resources to translate non-translated calls so that unless one of the parties transcribes them, he won't consider them. He was clearly not wanting to get bogged down or spend taxpayers money on translating calls that likely won't be used anyway.

Last edited:
This is all we are going to get to see of Jessica:

heels.JPG

Tuesday, May 24 - Day 5

Jada E. Williams
@JadaEWilliams
·
17m
#KatherineMagbanua trial is back this morning. Follow here for updates. And make sure you’ve voted in the poll pinned to my Twitter.

First witness of the day is Elizabeth Richey, a crime lab analyst with FDLE.

She analyzed the bullets that Markel was shot with.

Richey is excused. Jessica Rodriguez is next to testify. She dated Luis Rivera.

Rodriguez says Magbanua was "Tuto's wife" and a friend. Tuto is Sigfredo Garcia. She says when she became pregnant with Rivera's kid, she met #KatherineMagbanua.

Rodriguez says she had a falling out with Magbanua. "With everything going on when Garcia got arrested, I called to find out. I thought it had something to do with the federal case. She never answered and never called me back."

She says Rivera and Garcia were inseparable brothers. But Garcia and Magbanua were toxic. She said Garcia didn't like seeing Magbanua with "the dentist" but he was in another relationship. Says Magbanua hated Garcia's relationship with "Shrimp". That's the woman after KM.

Rodriguez says she's surprised Rivera never told her about the job to kill Markel. Days after her youngest child's birth in June 2014, Rivera told her he was going out of town with Garcia to get drugs. She only knew about one trip to Tallahassee.

She said shortly after, Garcia (Tuto) and Magbanua came to her house to drop off a "package". "Tuto knocked on the door, I opened. He said he had a package for Tato. I went outside and I screamed over 'You're not going to come see your niece' and she got out and came in."

One of Rodriguez's phone numbers is associated with Anthony Ortiz, a friend of Rivera's and fellow Latin King. She says she doesn't know why.

"It was a plastic bag. I don't know what was inside. It kind of looked like a brick. Like drugs when they wrap it up. The inside was wrapped with something brown like paper." She says Magbanua asked Garcia is Rivera received the package. Says KM was fidgety and in a rush.

Rodriguez says this was the first time someone brought a package to her home. The state finishes questioning.

Cross-Examination: Tara Kawass now focusing on Sigfredo Garcia's excessive drug and alcohol use. Rodriguez agrees that it was a big reason SG and KM were so on again off again.

If you're watching and wondering why we're not showing this witness, the prosecution asked us to not identify her on camera.

[me: this must be the witness @vislaw mentioned in the above post]

link:
https://twitter.com/JadaEWilliams/status/1529086430164799489

for Tuesday, May 24 - Day 5 continued

don't know "what" happened to the mystery witness - I'll check out the other tweeter.

Rodrigues still on stand.

Jada E. Williams
@JadaEWilliams
·
18m
Kawass is zeroing in on statements provided to law enforcement that may contradict what Rodriguez is testifying to today. For instance, changes in if Magbanua knew about the money and how the money drop happened.

Now discussing emails Rodriguez sent to Rivera while in jail in 2016. That email saying she'll do anything for Rivera. "I got your back"

Back to redirect. "Are you willing to lie under oath for him?" "No" Rodriguez answers. She says she knew nothing about the package delivery. She also didn't encourage him to work with the police.

"I would've taken the money and left. No questions asked." Rodriguez said she would have assumed it was drugs, but it was weird to see Magbanua's interest in a bag of drugs. "I asked her what was in the bag?" Says Magbanua responded with "I don't know".

link: https://twitter.com/JadaEWilliams

I'll go ahead post his stuff - he has a few "added info"

Karl Etters
@KarlEtters
·
1h
Replying to
@KarlEtters
First witness today is Elizabeth Richie, a crime lab analyst with FDLE’s firearms section. She looked at the bullets that killed Dan Markel

RIvera's one-time girlfriend Jessica Rodriguez is taking the stand. THis is an important witness for prosecutors as she is likely to testify about the day money supposedly was divvied up for Markel's murder

Rodriguez is not being filmed or photographed in an agreement with prosecutors over security reasons.

She said Magbanua and Garcia arrived at her house to deliver a wrapped package. She said Magbanua was "fidgety" and seemed in a rush. Testified that she asked Garcia "did you give him the package?"

On cross, Rodriguez has detailed her relationship with Rivera, Garcia and Magbanua's on and off relationship and when she learned Rivera was involved.

During an interview with police right around the time Rivera was arrested, she never mentioned the package drop she testified about this morning. Kawass contends at that time she knew police were looking at Magbanua as a suspect

"They never asked," ROdriguez testified

"It never stood out to me until my mind was recollected."

link: https://twitter.com/KarlEtters

well - he didn't have anything else... I give up on him. Again! LOL!

Ah - now I get it - took me a second here - LOL! Jessica - the lady on the stand now is not on camera. :rolleyes:

for Tuesday, May 24th - Day 5 - continued.

Jada E. Williams
@JadaEWilliams
·
8m
Replying to
@JadaEWilliams
We're back from break. The state calls Mary Hull next. She worked for Department of Financial Services in the Office of Fiscal Integrity in 2016. She was a financial investigator.

She reviewed the Adelson family bank accounts. Checking, credit, savings, all of it. As well as Luis Rivera, Sigfredo Garcia, and Katherine Magbanua.

She also reviewed income tax filings. The specific focus on #KatherineMagbanua's employment at the Adelson Institute.

Shortly after the murder, Luis Rivera got a 2003 Suzuki motorcycle and a 1996 Toyota Camry. Says Rivera primarily worked in cash. He overdrafted a lot because he would take his paycheck out of his bank before automatic deposits hit.

Days before the murder, he made his last large withdrawal. Didn't return to his withdrawal habits until November 2014.

Sigfredo bought a Monte Carlo in July, a Honda Racer Motorcyle in August, and a Nissan Maxima in October 2014. Garcia used his debit card normally. He had a checking and savings. Records of his cover 2015 and 2016. None in 2014.

"When you looked into Charlie Adelson AMEX records, did you find a flight purchased for Katherine Magbanua?" He bought a flight to Santa Domingo March 6, 2015.

Magbanua's financial records are on display now. A spreadsheet is on the screen now with an analysis of Magbanua's accounts.

Magbanua's highest source of income in 2013 is SoFi Dental. Cash was the second highest source. Sigfredo Garcia was the highest source in 2016. Between Oct 2014 and May 2016, statements say she received money from the Adelson Institute.

Magabanua's checks from the Adelson Institute were for $407. 58 (the first one was smaller). They were biweekly checks according to the dentist offices booking that ended in 2016. But Magbanua's bank account reflected three more checks in May.

In total, she received $17, 729 from Adelson Institute checks. The checks were sequential.

Last edited:
for Tuesday, May 24th - Day 5 continued...

Jada E. Williams
@JadaEWilliams
In total, she received $17, 729 from Adelson Institute checks. The checks were sequential.

23% of her total income was cash deposit in 2013. 64% of Magbanua's income in 2014 was cash deposit and 4% from Adelson Institute. Cash was 51% in 2015 and 20% from Adelson Institute.

She deposited $13k in 2013. Then almost $47,000 in cash in 2014. $26,500 in 2015. Nearly $12k for the first 7 months of 2016.

Her largest cash deposits were in order August, October, and July 2014 (the month Dan Markel was murder).

The Adelson Institute annual income was about $2 million. 18 different investment accounts. Charlie Adelson made at least $3 million plus profit from real estate in these years.

The state is finished with this testimony. Cross examination happens after lunch.

Jada E. Williams
@JadaEWilliams
We're back from lunch. Chris DeCoste is cross examining the financial expert. He starts off by asking who May Hull spoke to. She didn't actually speak to anyone, only review of materials the state gave to her.

DeCoste is questioning how Hull would analyze Garcia's support for Magbanua an her children. Including, if he gave her cash for support.

D: "Does any on your work account for Club Fate?"
Hu: "No"
"Do you happen to know the amount of cash tips she received during her work at Club Fate at that time?"
"I don't know what cash she would have gotten, but if she put the cash in the bank, it would be in the cash deposits"

DeCoste mentions after every question that Hull was not independently investigating and asking Magbanua's employers/ players questions.
D: "You don't know how much Sigfredo Garcia gave over the years?"
H: "That is correct."

DeCoste: "The end of the day, you would agree with me to say it is speculation to say this money came from anywhere other than Ms. Magbanua and her hard work?"
Hull: "I can't determine the source of the cash."

any guesses on how much this venture has depleted the bank accounts of these dental professionals?
I guess I was naive in thinking that it had depleted them to a significant degree but it seems with their real estate holdings they are much wealthier than I though. I have no idea honestly. I hope very significantly. All JMO.

Last edited:
Charlie made $3M/Year? Wow! I wonder how much of that was from dental work and how much, if any, was from rental income or other business activities. Implants aren't cheap - they go for about $4K each not including the Crown. He was running all over Florida doing them from referrals from other offices. $3M/$4K = 750 Implants. 750 Implants/250 Working Days in a Year = 3 Implants/Working Day.

Jada E. Williams
@JadaEWilliams
The Adelson Institute annual income was about $2 million. 18 different investment accounts. Charlie Adelson made at least $3 million plus profit from real estate in these years.

The state is finished with this testimony. Cross examination happens after lunch.

One of the Adelson Institute employees testified that the practice offered discounts for patients who paid in cash. Cash payment seems unusual to me for a dental practice. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kat1970